RD1, Pick #4: WR Sammy Watkins - Clemson

But he's bang on...There is every indication that EJ is either not an NFL QB/or an injury problem...this leaves the Bills searching for a QB next year with our 2nd rounder?

It's a huge push in the chips on EJ gamble

So in your opinion, in May 2014 we should be concerned about which QB we can take in 2015? Awesome. Im glad we root for the same team. Glad to have you as a fellow fan.

Still beating the Cyrus drum at 41 (good value great fit) and then aggressively (maybe even step up from 3) get a TE depending on how the round falls. I think the latter of either ASJ and nicklas can last a bit deeper than Cyrus does and because of chandler it's not as urgent if things fall apart

Things look to be falling nicely so far

Agreed. I love the way this draft is falling for the Bills heading into Round 2. Would love Cyrus K. Morgan Moses is another good option. If they could add either Niklas or ASJ, as well...wow!

When do you pick a RB?

RBs have been devalued (as free agent RBs learned this off season--one of them, Ben Tate, said he would be a safety if he could do it all over!). Seems like a RB won't even be selected until the 2nd round this year. So, I would expect some good ones to be there for us in the 4th round or even later (think about all of the good RBs who were drafted late and then there are even some who went undrafted like ... Fred Jackson!). Though I think we could "use" a RB, we "need" a RT and LDE (we could also use a TE, S and DT ((with Dareus' recent run-in with the law)) but I hope we wait to draft them).

As others have stated, whether or not you like the pick, you gotta give Whaley and company credit for pulling the trigger and making a deal to get Watkins (and their track record is pretty good so maybe this deal will pan out). We're getting better every year, maybe this is the year we get back to the playoffs!

4 good O linemen still available (3 OT and 1 OG) and 2 TE. Bills have a chance to add another difference maker. I would lean toward Offensive line. RB is a dying position in a passing league according to Marshall Faulk. He has a point. Bills can get a good RB as a street free agent after the draft.

Edited by Nitro

Well guess they are going all on their opinion that they believe they are ready to win this year. If they pick in bottom half of the draft next year, is a good trade. However if they are under 500 and picking in top 5 of draft, big time overpay. Hope they are right.

Because they think he's the type of receiver that can turn safe/easy throws into big plays in a way you don't often find?

And outside questions at qb it's not a bad roster?

It's not a knock against Watkins. By all accounts, he's super talented. But as you saw last year, EJ was incapable of making those safe, easy throws you speak of. His screen passes were atrocious.

I just don't think teams like the Bills should be giving up future first round draft picks unless its for a potential franchise QB. Sammy Watkins was not the difference between 6-10 and 10-6 last year. Our receiving group was actually good already.

RBs have been devalued (as free agent RBs learned this off season--one of them, Ben Tate, said he would be a safety if he could do it all over!). Seems like a RB won't even be selected until the 2nd round this year. So, I would expect some good ones to be there for us in the 4th round or even later (think about all of the good RBs who were drafted late and then there are even some who went undrafted like ... Fred Jackson!). Though I think we could "use" a RB, we "need" a RT and LDE (we could also use a TE, S and DT ((with Dareus' recent run-in with the law)) but I hope we wait to draft them).

As others have stated, whether or not you like the pick, you gotta give Whaley and company credit for pulling the trigger and making a deal to get Watkins (and their track record is pretty good so maybe this deal will pan out). We're getting better every year, maybe this is the year we get back to the playoffs!

This wasn't gutsy. It was reckless.

I can only hope that you are right. If we make the playoffs, I will fully eat crow. In fact, I will put it in my sig.

But that is the problem. There is no "right" here, at this point in time. Right implies certainty. We cannot be certain, when we are dealing with future prediction....otherwise, it wouldn't be prediction. We can NEVER be right at this point...which is why ESPN taking about "EJ is a wasted pick" is patently retarded. One should never over commit to a probability that is so nebulous/dependent on so many external factors. (I see this all the time in my job tho...)

What we are dealing with is probability. There is a chance that Watkins fails. There is a larger chance that EJ fails. But, given the talent on the team, the largest chance is: next year's #1 was never going to be high enough to get a sure-fire 10 year answer at QB.

Exactly like: the greatest chance for our 6th round pick...was to not make the team. So, you trade it away for Mike Williams.

Given these realistic(:rolleyes::lol:) chances, you go with the thing that is most likely to yield success, but, you accept the fact that you can be wrong. That's it: there is a chance that this is a bad move, however, there is > chance it isn't, and the notion that we are giving away a chance at a viable QB solution next year? Barely a chance at all.

Meh. If you think this guy will have a career similar to Megatron or Julio Jones, you act decisively. The gulf between that kind of player and a very solid starter is still pretty vast. He should be held to that standard and we should all be thrilled with the potential.

Yes. This is exactly my point. For what we gave up, we should ask for Megatron/Julio Jones productivity, commiserate of their first years. When you remember that neither of them cracked a 1000 yards I have to question taking someone with at "win now" mentality.To me, giving away two 1st rounds picks is a "win now" mentality.

But that is the problem. There is no "right" here, at this point in time. Right implies certainty. We cannot be certain, when we are dealing with future prediction....otherwise, it wouldn't be prediction. We can NEVER be right at this point...which is why ESPN taking about "EJ is a wasted pick" is patently retarded. One should never over commit to a probability that is so nebulous/dependent on so many external factors. (I see this all the time in my job tho...)

What we are dealing with is probability. There is a chance that Watkins fails. There is a larger chance that EJ fails. But, given the talent on the team, the largest chance is: next year's #1 was never going to be high enough to get a sure-fire 10 year answer at QB.

Exactly like: the greatest chance for our 6th round pick...was to not make the team. So, you trade it away for Mike Williams.

Given these realistic( :rolleyes::lol:) chances, you go with the thing that is most likely to yield success, but, you accept the fact that you can be wrong. That's it: there is a chance that this is a bad move, however, there is > chance it isn't, and the notion that we are giving away a chance at a viable QB solution next year? Barely a chance at all.

Don't cloud my head with probability and statistics. I know what I know.

Yes. This is exactly my point. For what we gave up, we should ask for Megatron/Julio Jones productivity, commiserate of their first years. When you remember that neither of them cracked a 1000 yards I have to question taking someone with at "win now" mentality.To me, giving away two 1st rounds picks is a "win now" mentality.

Yea Julio getting 959 yards at nearly 18 yards a catch and 8 tds in 13 games wouldn't help a team win now....

Edited by NoSaint

Yeah. In my view, and based on what I saw DW saying tonight: that's exactly who Watkins is. Never mind supposed. IS.

And, yeah: I don't think there's anything wrong with us progressively setting the bar at:

1. "contribute" for the first 4 games.

2. (provided EJ is not melting down going forward)"make a difference" for the next 4 games.

3. "significant factor in the game" for the next 4

4. "dominate, and help us win 2 of the last 4 games of the season...which are a nightmare, with 3/4 of them being on the road, and all of them against good teams"

It is a bold move. The deciding factor will be if the bills make the playoffs or not. If the bills don't make the playoffs this year, the trade will look terrible since we won't have a 1st rounder to get better later. If we make the playoffs, then this trade put us over the hump. People can make jokes all they want about not having a QB to throw the ball to. This is an elite receiving unit now. Watkins is a clear number 1, stevie, williams, and woods are very good number 2s at worst. Fitz could win more games with this group than he did previously, I am sure EJ will be much better this year, as long as he stays healthy. Hell, even our backups should be fine with these weapons.

I say this pick alone realistically gives us 2-3 more wins putting us in the 8-8 and 9-7 range. Hopefully we reach a more optimistic result. If they use the rest of their picks to get the oline upgraded and fill some holes, I say this team has playoff potential. Our receivers are an elite unit now/

To me, giving away two 1st rounds picks is a "win now" mentality.

So you're saying that had he been there at 9 and the Bills had taken him there that they would've been "giving away" that pick?? They picked at #4 in the 1st Round this year rather than #9. They "gave away" (stupid phrasing, BTW) next year's #1. That is one 1st Round pick. That was explained above. Are you really that dense that you can't see that they traded one 1st Round pick and not two?! Holy cow.

Yea Julio getting 959 yards at nearly 18 yards a catch and 8 tds in 13 games wouldn't help a team win now....

Yeah. It's not as if we have two other WR who have recently (as of 2012) put up superior numbers, and we should expect Watkins to fight to crack that spot.

Yeah. In my view, and based on what I saw DW saying tonight: that's exactly who Watkins is. Never mind supposed. IS.

And, yeah: I don't think there's anything wrong with us progressively setting the bar at:

1. "contribute" for the first 4 games.

2. (provided EJ is not melting down going forward)"make a difference" for the next 4 games.

3. "significant factor in the game" for the next 4

4. "dominate, and help us win 2 of the last 4 games of the season...which are a nightmare, with 3/4 of them being on the road, and all of them against good teams"

I think you described Woods and Goodwin in steps 1-3. And, had we gotten Watkins at 9 I would be entirely OK with that standard. The trick is #4.

He will. Have. To. Dominate.

Don't cloud my head with probability and statistics. I know what I know.

Ahh....the "Shomer Shabbos" approach to problem solving. :lol:

This is exactly the mentality that, trolling or not, causes unnecessary suffering. (EDIT: if this is a troll, good, because it merely underscores the point I've been making. If not, good, because it merely underscores the point I've been making)

Freeing ourselves from it is a key facet in pursuing happiness.

The guy who thinks he's going to fill the inside straight on the river...is the guy who says "don't fill my head with probability, I'm going to bluff my way to winning, because being tricky is how you win at poker".

That guy pays for my weekend in AC all the time.

He's rarely happy to do it.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

So you're saying that had he been there at 9 and the Bills had taken him there that they would've been "giving away" that pick?? They picked at #4 in the 1st Round this year rather than #9. They "gave away" (stupid phrasing, BTW) next year's #1. That is one 1st Round pick. That was explained above. Are you really that dense that you can't see that they traded one 1st Round pick and not two?! Holy cow.

No.They traded this years 1st, next years first and next years 4th for a 1st...which is exactly what I said. Which is a FCKING LOT.

No.They traded this years 1st, next years first and next years 4th for a 1st...which is exactly what I said. Which is a FCKING LOT.

Theoretical donte whitner, aaron maybin, mike Williams. Jp losman we will miss !!

Where's my noose ? We might miss on next years EJ Manuel at 16 !!

Edited by Ryan L Billz

It really isnt when you look at what it has taken for other teams to get early 1st round picks. Considering we got to keep the rest of the 2014 draft, and really only gave up 1 early pick next year (albeit a 1st), it really was a steal for moving up into the #4 spot and getting one of the Top 3 talents in the draft.

No, you said they traded away TWO #1s. This year's was SWAPPED, not traded away. That's ONE surrendered. Never mind. You're obviously hopeless, on a crusade, and horrible at math. Carry on, Einstein.

there's way too many negative Nancys on this board we just got a f****** stud player, who cares what the f*** we gave up.

We haven't been to the f****** playoffs in 15 years get over it

I totally agree. You need studs to win. Love the pick. Go Bills!!

No, you said they traded away TWO #1s. This year's was SWAPPED, not traded away. That's ONE surrendered. Never mind. You're obviously hopeless, on a crusade, and horrible at math. Carry on, Einstein.

*Twitch* I am sorry. Apparently, the language of bartering in your universe, wherein two things (plus one other) are exchanged for one singular thing, does not equal "traded away". Here, it means a description of an abstract concepts of "draft picks", where a pick from later in this year and a pick from early next year and a pick from slightly later from next year WERE MOTHERF*CKING TRADED for one pick this year.

My argument is that this rate was too high. Whether or not you agree is part of friendly debate (as Dr. D mentioned). Please do not insult my intelligence. And please do not debase your own intelligence by stuffing your head so far up your ass that your interpretation of diction becomes so simplistic that it makes me want to inflict physical harm upon your person.

Einstein.

I think it's really interesting that we didn't give up any picks from this year's draft. They feel that if they draft well this year that it gets us over the hump. For the record I wanted Evans but I do like Watkins. He is a playmaker. I hope Ej takes the next step bc if he doesn't not having a first rounder will hurt next year.

wow, I hate this...terrible.

Who are you people that don't like this move? I think this is just what the team needed and the fan base needed. It finally shows people that mediocrity is no longer acceptable in western New York. Adding a playmaker of Sammy Watkins caliber is going provide this offense and EJ a major weapon. Also, I don't know why theres speculation that Stevie Johnson is on his way out the door just because of this pick and the trade for Williams. Stevie is the most proven WR on the team and adding more weapons/competition should only make him better. Can't wait to see how the rest of the draft goes. GO BILLS!!!!

Sammy doesn't have much in the way of Jersey number choices.

12 retired

14 and 16 available

83 unofficially retired.

All other WR numbers taken by current players, someone will be cut but who?

Watch the highlights of this kid. When he scores he always drops the ball like it's no big deal. I know it's not the difference between a winner and a loser but it's nice to see him act like he has been there before and will be there again soon. Let the excitement begin

Could not love this move more. This guy will be a superstar. Next years pick will be in the twenties so who cares. You rarely get a chance to pick a guy like this. Everyone hating on this move is clueless.

*Twitch* I am sorry. Apparently, the language of bartering in your universe, wherein two things (plus one other) are exchanged for one singular thing, does not equal "traded away". Here, it means a description of an abstract concepts of "draft picks", where a pick from later in this year and a pick from early next year and a pick from slightly later from next year WERE MOTHERF*CKING TRADED for one pick this year.

My argument is that this rate was too high. Whether or not you agree is part of friendly debate (as Dr. D mentioned). Please do not insult my intelligence. And please do not debase your own intelligence by stuffing your head so far up your ass that your interpretation of diction becomes so simplistic that it makes me want to inflict physical harm upon your person.

Einstein.

They swapped 1st round picks... I've been drinking and I know the difference

WOW! I'm blown away. I love this move/pick so much, I would marry it if it was legal. :w00t: :w00t:

In one of the deepest drafts in years, especially at the WR position, we come away with the TOP WR prospect and the BEST offensive prospect in the entire draft. On top of that, we do not have to give up a single pick in the deepest draft in years to accomplish this. The 41st overall pick will get us a 1st round caliber player who will start from day 1 and make an immediate impact. I was against trading up because I thought there was no way they could pull it off without losing that pick. I'm blown away Whaley was able to make that happen.

You rarely get a chance to be in position to draft a player of Watkins caliber; he has superstar potential. Watkins is as close to a sure thing as you would be able to find.

A legitimate No. 1-caliber receiver who stepped onto the field as a true freshman and made an immediate, game-changing impact. Was slowed by injuries as a sophomore, but responded with a strong junior season and capped his career as one of the most impactful receivers in school history. Has rare speed, soft hands and the big-play ability to challenge NFL defensive backs as a rookie.

This kid is so good, he is the #1 WR on the depth chart off the bat.

Dude is clutch. All he did to close his college career, in the biggest game of the year (BCS Orange Bowl) was be the MVP of the game to lead Clemson to the win.

he led Clemson to victory with 16 passes for 227 yards and two touchdowns, earning him the Orange Bowl MVP nod.

Edited by smapdi