Does anyone think DT is now a need?

With the issues Dareus has and Kyle Williams' age and history of injury do we surprise everyone and take a DT early in the draft? I'm not saying 1st round(although I wouldn't mind Nix), but with the news on Darius so close to the draft and Kyle's injuries to both Achilles in recent years, DT might be on our radar. If the player we want isn't there at # 9, I wouldn't mind trading down a few spots to take DT Nix from ND. Any thoughts on DT now being a need?

Edited by Dopey

I thought it was a mid round possibility before this issue with Dareus. I believe Dareus will be a free agent after 2015 and both Williams and Branch will be on the wrong side of 30, so it was never a bad idea to bring in a decent prospect at the position to develop over the next couple of years as a contingency plan. And it never hurts to have another guy in the DL rotation, anyway, and as others state, its not like the Bills couldn't use some help with their run D.

With the issues Dareus has and Kyle Williams' age and history of injury do we surprise everyone and take a DT early in the draft? I'm not saying 1st round(although I wouldn't mind Nix), but with the news on Darius so close to the draft and Kyle's injuries to both Achilles in recent years, DT might be on our radar. If the player we want isn't there at # 9, I wouldn't mind trading down a few spots to take DT Nix from ND. Any thoughts on DT now being a need?

I think the odds of Donald at 9 just went up

No way. Even if Dareus gets suspended, it's only 4 games. Branch can fill in for 4 games just fine. Maybe they'd grab a low-priced vet after roster cuts, but there are way too many needs on this team to use a 1st or 2nd round pick on players that'll only start if something happens to a starter.

if A. Donald is there at 9, you take him. The guy is a game-changer. If not, I'd get a DT later in the draft. I've always thought it was a need given Williams age and MD's stupidity. (plus, neither are great run stoppers.)

No way. Even if Dareus gets suspended, it's only 4 games. Branch can fill in for 4 games just fine. Maybe they'd grab a low-priced vet after roster cuts, but there are way too many needs on this team to use a 1st or 2nd round pick on players that'll only start if something happens to a starter.

Dareus can't be suspended under the league's drug policy because Spice is not a banned substance.

Fine with me. I've been ready to move on from MD since the day we drafted him. Buddy Nix was one heck of a horrible GM. Horrific drafts ...

I have to say drafting hasn't been great under him. I feel Whaley had a lot more impute last year, I can't wait to see what he does this year. I haven't been big on Dareus, and now his repeated issues are just more red flags for a guy that never lived up to a top 3 draft pick placing. His homers will site his family issues which I understand, but its time to grow up and perform up to the level you were selected.

Anyone saying Dareus is terrible / not good etc. Really doesn't watch the Bills. They just like to B word about the Bills. We have TWO pro bowl DT's & now we're going to draft abother at #9? Maybe ya'll are smoking the Spice!

Anyone who says he is a great DT is smoking crack and needs severe help. He is average most days and good on others. So far not worth the #3 pick nor worth the repeated BS. I wouldn't mind if we could shop him for someone's late 1st rounder

BTW - he had 7.5 sacks as a NT, and the only off the field stuff was being late for meetings. He was caught with some pot. I don't do that kind of thing, but do you know how many guys in the NFL smoke weed?

Marrone started teaching him professionalism last year, and his performance was solid. Kyle Williams for the injuries stated had 10 sacks as a DT last year. This is one of our strongest positions.

I know we didn't do well against the run last year, but we also needed changes in the LB corp. Kiko was meant to be the Wil, and was manhandled at tImes by Guards who have 70 lbs. on him. Watch Spikes change that this year. I'm not sold on Rivers so I don't know if Lawson will be the answer in a 4-3. He did a very good job in the 3-4.

Will Hughes really make it as a traditional edge rusher in a 4-3 at 255 lbs.? I don't know. I'd like another option at DE. I still contend if Mack is taken #1, then do we gamble the Rams take Robinson #2 as he is going to be a franchise LT for next decade. At 3rd, Miami gave up I think only a 2nd or a 3rd. I'd gladly give that up for Clowney.

This line will be like the Giants who beat Tom Brady in the perfect season a few years ago. That was my favorite SB watching those arrogant Patriots and fans losing in the perfect season to the Giants with Brady having zero time in the pocket.

This is a deep draft in WR, Ol, and even TE. We can pick these guys later in the draft. Make our defense top 3 in the NFL, and we can even have a stop gap at RT if we can't get one in the draft with Eric Winston, or Tyson Clabo.

I would think that we won't need a DT until 2016, that gives us two drafts after this to address the need... we are finally getting to a place where we can draft for replacements rather than draft for a glaring need and force them into a plug and play role.

I am excited to see where this draft takes us!

Assuming this is a "first offense", I don't think it changes anything. If this is a second offense, meaning an automatic 4-game suspension, that might make a difference in who they look at in rounds 2 and 3, but even that probably doesn't affect what they do in the round 1.

Edited by merlin

I think if anything this underscores our need for a DE. Branch can play DT in a 4-3. He's a 3-4 DE Anyway. He's a little too "rotund" for a 4-3 DE. Hope we take a DE in round 2 or 3. Hopefully, that other no name combine freak with awesome measurables, completely forgot who he is but had comparable measurements to a lot of Clowneys.

Assuming this is a "first offense", I don't think it changes anything. If this is a second offense, meaning an automatic 4-game suspension, that might make a difference in who they look at in rounds 2 and 3, but even that probably doesn't affect what they do in the round 1.

There are no "offenses" for synthetic marijuana. It's not banned by the NFL.

Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested for public masturbation and synthetic marijuana possession. The league couldn't suspend him.

Couldn't or wouldn't? Maybe the league didn't want to be accused of discriminating against whatever affliction he has that forces him to make this kind of public display :lol:

Regardless of the situation with Dareus, I would contend that DT was a position of moderate need anyway. Certainly not a need such as having to draft one in the early rounds of the draft. This was a mistake no doubt for Dareus, but the league cannot suspend him. This happened with another player (Winslow I think) and DeMaurice Smith came right out and said that the collective bargaining agreement only allows suspension for substances listed therein and this is not. Besides that nuanced point, the Bills re-signed Alan Branch. I see very little chance that the front office would suddenly don a chicken little attitude over Dareus at this point. It's not like he killed someone (Hernandez....).

MD's situation doesn't change a thing. He is not getting suspended unless they consider this part of the personal code of conduct. Even then, it's only 4 games and Branch can fill in. If we draft a DT, it’ll likely be a late round guy for depth & development. We also have Stefan Charles who played somewhat decently last season. I’d like to see what he can do with a full offseason and training camp.

It was a need before hand. I was thinking last week we could go DT-RB in rd1 and then 2 and I'd be fine with that...

I agree.

And Donald is a penetrator, has a great burst, doesn't take plays off, and has to be accounted for every down or he'll hurt you ... i.e. everything Dareus is not.

RB wouldn't be bad either, been saying for a while our RB game is over rated, and given Fred's age it's a ticking time bomb: Fred has some power but he's old and slow (getting older and slower), Spiller has speed but no power and can't stay healthy.

+1 I think Darius will be fine. He will always be a dumb as$, but he will be fine and fined.

MD is only 24 and just made his first pro bowl. The guy may be a dumba$$ but he is starting to really come on. The Bills need playmakers on either side of the ball. I believe Donald is one of the playmakers in this year's draft.