Donald Sterling in hot water

So now we strip people of their justly owned property because we disagree with what they say or think?

Selling the franchise and making hundreds of millions of dollars from it is hardly "stripping".

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So now we strip people of their justly owned property because we disagree with what they say or think?

He agreed to things to become owner and I'm pretty sure he violated a lot of what he agreed to with his statements

Not to be a douche...but I think this belongs in a thread Off the Wall seeing as it's not football or Buffalo Bills related....

However, given it's right here, I'll say my two cents:

Private conversations are just that, private...what he said was abhorrent and represents an arcane and provincial stream of thought that does not belong in modern society. However, for the NBA to rule on anything said or done in private that is NOT illegal and was not done as a representative or as an owner of the Clippers is reprehensible in my mind...it is one step closer to censorship. To levy a ban and or consequences for words exhanged between lovers when he had FULL expectation of privacy and the belief that what was said was to be kept between to people struggling in a relationship, is ludicrous and tantamount to abuse of power by the NBA. I do NOT agree with him and I fully believe he should feel the consequences of his actions / words, but do so in the proper context. Have your fans bail on buying tickets and merchandise until he sells the team, hold protests out front, write letters to papers and on social media expressing your outrage...but for the NBA to take any formal action, against anyone, expressing their opinion or thoughts in private is wholly unconstitutional in my mind....detest his opinion, but too much blood has been spilled and too many lives have been lost, to not protect his freedom to say it...

Well said! NBA should have acknowledged the reality you describe. Having said that, with 70% of the players being black, I am thinking that the NBA is afraid of a "job action" by the players, and thus void the NBA responsibilities on lucrative TV contracts. So, this NBA action, perhaps illegal in some respects, might have many objectives. but, the main one is to keep the money flowing. And, the league does have its mechanisms to force new ownership if the other owners want to act....and they will!

I am watching ESPN(yes i still watch, yes its drivel, yes Stern is not funny) Jemele Hill is a tool!

BTW, i have not been following this too closely nor read this thread. I assume someone mentioned that ESPN a few years ago did a fairly detailed article laying out this guy was a bigot from day one.Why is every one outraged now?

Okay when he was a bigot when it did not involve millionaires?

My god, I am actually agreeing with points Stephen A. is making.

Not to be a douche...but I think this belongs in a thread Off the Wall seeing as it's not football or Buffalo Bills related....

However, given it's right here, I'll say my two cents:

Private conversations are just that, private...what he said was abhorrent and represents an arcane and provincial stream of thought that does not belong in modern society. However, for the NBA to rule on anything said or done in private that is NOT illegal and was not done as a representative or as an owner of the Clippers is reprehensible in my mind...it is one step closer to censorship. To levy a ban and or consequences for words exhanged between lovers when he had FULL expectation of privacy and the belief that what was said was to be kept between to people struggling in a relationship, is ludicrous and tantamount to abuse of power by the NBA. I do NOT agree with him and I fully believe he should feel the consequences of his actions / words, but do so in the proper context. Have your fans bail on buying tickets and merchandise until he sells the team, hold protests out front, write letters to papers and on social media expressing your outrage...but for the NBA to take any formal action, against anyone, expressing their opinion or thoughts in private is wholly unconstitutional in my mind....detest his opinion, but too much blood has been spilled and too many lives have been lost, to not protect his freedom to say it...

There are some jobs - a lot of jobs - where your actions matter even when you're off the clock. It's because we hold them to a higher standard than Chuck the bricklayer.

Cops, clergy, attorneys, teachers, accountants, C-level executives, etc, all know and understand there is an implied morality that comes with the job.

The NBA constitution allows for all of the actions that Adam Silver took. I congratulate him for making this bold statement. Yes, he will walk away with a pretty good return on his $12.6M investment (reports have groups already preparing an offer north of $1B) but the public ridicule and shame was probably the best way punishment. The league has gone from one great leader to another.

He has the freedom to say and do whatever he wants within the law, as a US citizen. However, his employer (yes, owners are effectively employees of the NBA) can fine/fire him for behavior that effects the "company" and it's reputation.

Would you be surprised if your coworker was fired after your boss found pictures of your coworker in KKK robes? Further, what if said KKK robe wearer was publicly known as a representative of your company?

If that employee was found to be wearing said KKK robes while on the job? Yes, indeed he should be fired...but let's say he does this on the weekends, has never made any statements to co-workers and in fact all of us were shocked that he belonged to the KKK, how exactly did that effect his ability to do his job? And even if he is a public representative, he represents the company when on company time and is individual when he isn't working, so on comapny time it's equality for everyone and it better be full throated, but what he does on the weekends or at nights when he's not working, is none of mine or anyone else's business....it's personal. Not to mention, it's quite different to be having a lover's quarrel revealed versus attending an actually rally for white supremacy....don't see the difference, there's deeper issues there.

I am watching ESPN(yes i still watch, yes its drivel, yes Stern is not funny) Jemele Hill is a tool!

BTW, i have not been following this too closely nor read this thread. I assume someone mentioned that ESPN a few years ago did a fairly detailed article laying out this guy was a bigot from day one.Why is every one outraged now?

Okay when he was a bigot when it did not involve millionaires?

My god, I am actually agreeing with points Stephen A. is making.

yea - given his known history that he has gone from scheduled to receive the NAACP lifetime achievement award to receiving the harshest penalty allowed by the NBA is quite the turnaround. this tape really only qualifies as like the 3rd most offensive thing thats been documented.

Seriously? He has all the freedom in the world to say whatever the hell he wants. That doesn't mean it can't come without consequence.

What you say matters. There's no constitutional right to say whatever you want without taking responsibility for it.

On a side note, we should seriously start a "Bring the Clips Back to Buffalo" movement.

So, freedom of speech, unless you are illegally recorded (yes that's right, this recording wouldn't hold up in a court of law) and own a million dollar company?

Makes sense.

If that employee was found to be wearing said KKK robes while on the job? Yes, indeed he should be fired...but let's say he does this on the weekends, has never made any statements to co-workers and in fact all of us were shocked that he belonged to the KKK, how exactly did that effect his ability to do his job? And even if he is a public representative, he represents the company when on company time and is individual when he isn't working, so on comapny time it's equality for everyone and it better be full throated, but what he does on the weekends or at nights when he's not working, is none of mine or anyone else's business....it's personal. Not to mention, it's quite different to be having a lover's quarrel revealed versus attending an actually rally for white supremacy....don't see the difference, there's deeper issues there.

When is the owner of an NBA team not representing that team? When is the President of the United States not representing the US? Certain positions are held to higher standards. If you work at McDonalds what you do in your free time is one thing. Go drink 40 beers at a Bills game an pummel and opposing fan. If you are a state senator and do the same thing the reprecussions will be a little more severe.

A) He's a very public employee of the NBA. What he does on his free time, effects his job, and the NBA as a whole. So it's entirely relevant.

B) Having the opinion that black people aren't good enough to be in your presence, but are good enough to be in your employment (or as property, heh) is not far from attending white power rallies, imo.

The NBA has every right to protect it's brand, and that includes not associating, or employing people who harm that brand on "their own time".

Seriously? He has all the freedom in the world to say whatever the hell he wants. That doesn't mean it can't come without consequence.

What you say matters. There's no constitutional right to say whatever you want without taking responsibility for it.

On a side note, we should seriously start a "Bring the Clips Back to Buffalo" movement.

As far as whatever you want without taking responsibility, that's not what I said, go back and read it again...what I said was, the NBA has no right to weigh in on this issue...it occurred between two lovers in a private conversation. And sorry, I don't know you, but would you want everything you've ever said to a lover in a heated argument to be made public? And then held against you in your business? I don't believe it's Consitutional and I believe it to be completely against what America stands for...the right to speak freely, and to disagree, and have assh*les who are ignorant and racist, so that the other voices of reason and intelligence can persuade some....but the beauty is found in the power of persuasion, not in the edge of the blade or force...consequences for his touch-hole should have been a slow and methodical loss of his asset through the court of public opinion not buying tickets, losing merchandise, seeing protests outside the arena...not the NBA coming in with some hypocritical ban, as if they didn't know Sterling held these views....

Btw, freedom WITH consequence, is no freedom at all...therefore, you are not "free" to say whatever you want because the consequence will follow...now, appropriate consequence is a different medium altogether, and on that, we can agree....but the NBA yielding its large stick to "punish" Sterling for a private matter, is an abuse of power....to me

Edited by BigBuff423