Donald Sterling in hot water

I consider myself to know a decent amount about the NBA, but until today, I had never heard of this guy, or really given much thought to the clippers franchise.

Kinda surprised this guy has flown under the radar for so long.

He hasn't been under the radar at all, you just didn't pay attention to the Clippers. He's been the joke of the league for decades. He's been a very well known racist and sued a number of times and in legal trouble a number times for racism. Even Elgin Baylor, their former GM, sued him for racism not that long ago.

Clippers just sucked for so long, so you probably just didn't pay attention to them, but he's definitely not been under the radar. Everyone hates him.

I have friends that know both the Buss family and the Sterlings. The ONLY reason Donald bought the Clippers was because his pal Dr Buss was getting all kinds of women from owning the Lakers and he wanted that too and bought the Clippers. And that came straight out of their mouths.

He's as bad as the story suggests and even worse. His racism is real, extreme, and never going away. He's a POS and I don't know if the NBA has the authority to do so, but they should try and force him to sell the team. If I was a Clipper player of any nationality, I would refuse to play next year with him as owner. I get this year they are in the playoffs and don't want to punish the fans and play for them and their goals as players, but I would not suit up for another minute after this season was over and boycott the team.

Edited by Alphadawg7

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He hasn't been under the radar at all, you just didn't pay attention to the Clippers. He's been the joke of the league for decades. He's been a very well known racist and sued a number of times and in legal trouble a number times for racism. Even Elgin Baylor, their former GM, sued him for racism not that long ago.

Clippers just sucked for so long, so you probably just didn't pay attention to them, but he's definitely not been under the radar. Everyone hates him.

I have friends that know both the Buss family and the Sterlings. The ONLY reason Donald bought the Clippers was because his pal Dr Buss was getting all kinds of women from owning the Lakers and he wanted that too and bought the Clippers. And that came straight out of their mouths.

He's as bad as the story suggests and even worse. His racism is real, extreme, and never going away. He's a POS and I don't know if the NBA has the authority to do so, but they should try and force him to sell the team. If I was a Clipper player of any nationality, I would refuse to play next year with him as owner. I get this year they are in the playoffs and don't want to punish the fans and play for them and their goals as players, but I would not suit up for another minute after this season was over and boycott the team.

And yet they did all year this year, and last and the one before and the ten before- this is the first public recording but players have claimed inappropriate incidents with him before so it's not like the locker room is unaware.... I guess between some star power on their roster, and a new commish maybe this time ends different... But keep in mind Chris Paul pushed his way there knowing who he'd be playing for still. I'm not sure he makes a stand suddenly. We will see.

Disclaimer - I'm not condoning sterling, simply pointing out that this clip is potentially tame compared to things they were aware of prior to it. It's an odd spot because the league has accepted it as "it is what it is" for so long.

Who really cares about this? The d-bag is just that so why are we bothering to give him attention?

This is not from The Onion:

NAACP no longer giving award to Sterling

And that is a good example why this should not even be news and the NAACP is a joke.

They were going to give this award to the guy believing him to be a good outstanding person before this broke and now all of the sudden he is not worthy? What?! Either the NAACP did not know anything about the guy or just didn't care...or more obviously they are just a feel good little group that wants to waste time giving out trophies.

And yet they did all year this year, and last and the one before and the ten before- this is the first public recording but players have claimed inappropriate incidents with him before so it's not like the locker room is unaware.... I guess between some star power on their roster, and a new commish maybe this time ends different... But keep in mind Chris Paul pushed his way there knowing who he'd be playing for still. I'm not sure he makes a stand suddenly. We will see.

Disclaimer - I'm not condoning sterling, simply pointing out that this clip is potentially tame compared to things they were aware of prior to it. It's an odd spot because the league has accepted it as "it is what it is" for so long.

Almost every thing you say in here is either incorrect or just misinformed. Paul did not force his way onto the Clippers. He forced his way onto the Lakers and Stern and the NBA vetoed it.

Having it on tape makes a huge difference in the court of public opinion, saying otherwise is simply not thinking it all the way through. Acting like the NBA condoned Sterling's past actions out of some sort of code of silence is laughable. He owns the team, it's his private property, and the NBA cannot simply force him to sell. All they can do is suspend and fine him.

Who really cares about this? The d-bag is just that so why are we bothering to give him attention?

I know right? Who cares what this guy says or thinks, besides everyone else in "real America" says things way worse than this according to you. "I think he is just another one of the millions across this country who hold a different viewpoint then what others do and just one of those who doesn't agree with what societal standards have pretended to set," after all.

We should let Donald be Donald. :rolleyes:

Edited by GreggyT

Sterling looks terrible and this will ruin his public life, rightfully so.

The women looks equally bad imo (and I mean that). Gold-digs, allegedly embezzles $2M, then baits an 80ish year old known racist rich dude, records his reaction, then publishes. I'm sorry but where I'm from this women would be viewed as utter trash.

Sterling looks terrible and this will ruin his public life, rightfully so.

The women looks equally bad imo (and I mean that). Gold-digs, allegedly embezzles $2M, then baits an 80ish year old known racist rich dude, records his reaction, then publishes. I'm sorry but where I'm from this women would be viewed as utter trash.

The fact she entrapped him on the recording, and that the recording itself is inadmissible in California courts, and the fact that said woman is refusing to cooperate with the NBA because she fears it will hurt her in the current civil suit she's facing means that there will be nothing the NBA will be able to do officially about this.

And yes, she's terrible as well. Maybe as bad as he is -- or even worse.

I know right? Who cares what this guy says or thinks, besides everyone else in "real America" says things way worse than this according to you. "I think he is just another one of the millions across this country who hold a different viewpoint then what others do and just one of those who doesn't agree with what societal standards have pretended to set," after all.

Didn't know Crayonz got another new name.

Didn't know Crayonz got another new name.

You seriously wonder why this matters? Or are you just a knee-jerk defender of anyone the MSM accuses of being a racist? Because it sure sounds like the later.

The man is an owner of an NBA franchise, a league that is predominately black. He's also a businessman of incredible wealth and resources with influence. His views can have ACTUAL impact on people's lives -- and have -- in extremely negative ways. Saying "why does it matter what this guy says" just shows where your true colors lie -- or, that you haven't thought this all the way through.

Edited by GreggyT

After listening to more comments today this guy is racist in the most hilarious way. She's half black (apparently) and he even says he could care less about her being around black people (even sleeping with them) but he just doesn't want his other rich, racist friends giving him a hard time about it.

This entire story is actually completely hilarious. It's just a bunch if idiots/racists/gold-diggers ruining each others reputations.

Generally, we should. Jumping up and down and screaming "racism!" every time someone doesn't like blacks draws attention to it. At this point, we're better off ignoring it and marginalizing such cretins.

Generally. But in this specific case...maybe not.

Generally, we should. Jumping up and down and screaming "racism!" every time someone doesn't like blacks draws attention to it. At this point, we're better off ignoring it and marginalizing such cretins.

Generally. But in this specific case...maybe not.

Generally I'd agree.

The guy is actually very complimentary of Magic Johnson. It's almost like he's not a racist, but he hangs out with them, and is worried what his racists friends think of him.

Yeah, I remember when I was in high school, when I wanted to take Magic Johnson to a basketball game but all my friends made fun of me. Peer pressure's a B word.

I listened to the footage today, and you are right.

The guy is actually very complimentary of Magic Johnson. It's almost like he's not a racist, but he hangs out with them, and is worried what his racists friends think of him. His racist buddies were probably already giving him a hard time about being honored by the NAACP, and dating a Latina.

He's a closet progressive. :lol:

Yeah, that was a compliment.

I listened to the recording and it was one of the weirdest conversations I've heard in a long time. Especially the part where (paraphrasing) he said that she could sleep with them and hang out with them, but not take them to Clippers games. Adding in the fact that she's of African American and Mexican descent, this guy is conflicted at best, or at worst, a racist in the way the old slave owners were: Thinking that they're inferior, but usable as workers.

Plus, the guy looks like a little creepy troll.

I hope he enjoyed owning the team, because he'll be out of the picture soon.