Donald Sterling in hot water

Donald Sterling is a weird, elderly cat and I think we're all taking what he says to an extreme it doesn't deserve.

It just seems we as a society like to get bent out of shape as a form of exercise anymore.

Oooh, an 80 year old man with racist comments...haven't seen that before ever. B-)

This weird elderly cat is also a landlord to many, many minorities. A bit more problematic than just being a weird, gross old playboy basketball team owner.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically told his girlfriend to keep her relationships with black people private. She posted pictures of herself with black people on Instagram and he must have people watching what she does because he knew she had those pictures. He says he likes black people and has nothing against them though.

What's wrong with that? I like Canadians, even though I'll never admit to knowing any...

And to add what CBF said... Can we be sure it really is him and that the audio clip is not all cut up/mashed up to make it seem worse. That is, are we really sure?

It's unofficially confirmed it's him. I've listened to digital comparisons along with some folks who have worked with Sterling for a long time, their conclusions were it's him 100%. I haven't heard anyone, even Sterling, deny it's him on the tape. The only thing I've heard is Sterling's wife claiming it's an edited tape.

Which IMO, is still problematic. I am not trying to give the creep too much benny of doubt though...

It is, if true. The bigger problem to me still rests on the fact the tape itself, even if authentic, isn't admissible in any California court, which limits the already limited options the NBA has. They can't force him to sell, they can suspend him for a year and fine him a ton (well, a ton for those of us with mere mortal bank accounts), but then... what?

If sponsors keep pulling out and there really is a protest tomorrow night at Staples as they are talking about, that might be enough to tip public opinion enough to make the rest of the owners take a drastic step -- but even then I'm not sure what they can do. Or what they should do. I think it's ultimately up to Donald Sterling and his family to decide what to do with the team.

Based on the fact the man is a megalomaniacal azzhat, I'm guessing he isn't going anywhere until he's damn good and ready.

It is, if true. The bigger problem to me still rests on the fact the tape itself, even if authentic, isn't admissible in any California court, which limits the already limited options the NBA has. They can't force him to sell, they can suspend him for a year and fine him a ton (well, a ton for those of us with mere mortal bank accounts), but then... what?

If sponsors keep pulling out and there really is a protest tomorrow night at Staples as they are talking about, that might be enough to tip public opinion enough to make the rest of the owners take a drastic step -- but even then I'm not sure what they can do. Or what they should do. I think it's ultimately up to Donald Sterling and his family to decide what to do with the team.

Based on the fact the man is a megalomaniacal azzhat, I'm guessing he isn't going anywhere until he's damn good and ready.

I realize how bad this is... BUT, am I wrong for saying this: "We still live in America." Let it play out, what's with all this "action" that needs to be played out. Society/market will handle it.

Now mix in that the accuser is being sued for embezzlement. Agian, I am not protecting this dude... Yet, my antenna is up on all of this.

I realize how bad this is... BUT, am I wrong for saying this: "We still live in America." Let it play out, what's with all this "action" that needs to be played out. Society/market will handle it.

Now mix in that the accuser is being sued for embezzlement. Agian, I am not protecting this dude... Yet, my antenna is up on all of this.

We do still live in America which is why I'm not advocating that the league force the man to sell his private property.

But this is also a man who's evaded public scorn and consequences of his criminal actions for decades in Los Angeles because he's settled out of court or buries his opponents in legal fees until they go away. What this incident does is give Sterling something he cannot hide from. More importantly, it lets everyone in Los Angeles (and the rest of the country) hear first hand how hateful this man actually is.

The fans have the power now. They can make a change if they want it bad enough, that wouldn't have happened without this tape. To say that it's being overblown I think is to miss the bigger points.

What does Clipper Fan have to say about this turn of events. I mean, clearly any Clipper fan paying attention already knew Sterling was a joke -- but this? This is a new low for him.

He doesnt like the situation.

Owner is old and stupid.

Girlfriend was not right trapping him either.

Golden State was on fire yesterday. With or without the racial stuff, Clipps were most likely going to lose this one. Golden state #1 3 point shooting team. Everything was falling in yesterday, early. I mean everything. Curry was on fire. The team was bad shooting the 3 the previous games.

If the emotions hit them hard, they will lose the series. Talet wise, goldens state doesnt stand a chance. Really. Clips were caught off guard game 1 but blew them out by 40 game 2. Game 3 we beat them in golden state. (game 3 we were winning by 15 pts practically the whole game. 40 minutes+. However, they made a nice comeback to make it really close at the end. we still won). Then game 4 was their lucky game.

I'm a fan of the team/players. Not the ownership. I have liked the clippers for about 10 years now with the last 3 being very good. I hope we dont become bottom feeders again because of this......

I'm a fan of the team/players. Not the ownership. I have liked the clippers for about 10 years now with the last 3 being very good. I hope we dont become bottom feeders again because of this......

I hear you. I feel bad for players and coaches who just got their entire post-season mojo screwed up by their owner. It's not fair to them. You're an LA guy, right? Are you going tomorrow?

We do still live in America which is why I'm not advocating that the league force the man to sell his private property.

But this is also a man who's evaded public scorn and consequences of his criminal actions for decades in Los Angeles because he's settled out of court or buries his opponents in legal fees until they go away. What this incident does is give Sterling something he cannot hide from. More importantly, it lets everyone in Los Angeles (and the rest of the country) hear first hand how hateful this man actually is.

The fans have the power now. They can make a change if they want it bad enough, that wouldn't have happened without this tape. To say that it's being overblown I think is to miss the bigger points.

Most fans that I know dont really care THAT much. Case in point: I just talked to an old school african american guy, 59 years old. He went on saying how he jokes around racially with his hispanic coworker. He was more annoyed at the girlfriend than Sterling... Media has to run it's course I guess. It would be nice if Sterling transferred ownership.

I hear you. I feel bad for players and coaches who just got their entire post-season mojo screwed up by their owner. It's not fair to them. You're an LA guy, right? Are you going tomorrow?

Yes. La guy. I went to playoffs 2012 and 2013. This year just a few regular games. Saving money for vaca.

What is the deal with him avoiding public scorn for decades of criminal actions? What has he been doing?

What is the deal with him avoiding public scorn for decades of criminal actions? What has he been doing?

He owns and rents property all over Los Angeles. He's been sued countless times by tenants claiming discrimination. In one such suit (which was settled for over $10 million out of court), Sterling was quoted as saying he refuses to rent to any minorities in Beverly Hills, going as far to say the reasons why he won't rent to hispanics is because all they do is hang around the buildings and drink while blacks smell and attract vermin.

Those quotes are in court documents. But with each case like this, he settles out of court or buries his opponents with legal fees and litigation (several tenants with suits against him died of natural causes before seeing their settlements simply because Sterling could afford to draw out the court proceedings when the plaintiffs were elderly and sick).

The deeper you look into this man's background, the more disgusting you feel.

He owns and rents property all over Los Angeles. He's been sued countless times by tenants claiming discrimination. In one such suit (which was settled for over $10 million out of court), Sterling was quoted as saying he refuses to rent to any minorities in Beverly Hills, going as far to say the reasons why he won't rent to hispanics is because all they do is hang around the buildings and drink while blacks smell and attract vermin.

Those quotes are in court documents. But with each case like this, he settles out of court or buries his opponents with legal fees and litigation (several tenants with suits against him died of natural causes before seeing their settlements simply because Sterling could afford to draw out the court proceedings when the plaintiffs were elderly and sick).

i linked a handful of articles earlier in the thread that EII might be interested in if he wants to scratch the surface on sterlings history. the deadspin ones having links to even more articles in them as well.

update - deadspin has the full an extended 15 minute clip instead of the 9 min one. i cant listen at the moment, but they say it does him no favors.

http://deadspin.com/exclusive-the-extended-donald-sterling-tape-1568291249

Edited by NoSaint

Thanks.

That leaves me with: Can we have our basketball team back? ;-) Of course with a new owner!

Move the Celtics this time, they should have been the ones to leave!

i linked a handful of articles earlier in the thread that EII might be interested in if he wants to scratch the surface on sterlings history. the deadspin ones having links to even more articles in them as well.

update - deadspin has the full an extended 15 minute clip instead of the 9 min one. i cant listen at the moment, but they say it does him no favors.

http://deadspin.com/...tape-1568291249

Cheers, good stuff.

Thanks.

That leaves me with: Can we have our basketball team back? ;-) Of course with a new owner!

Move the Celtics this time, they should have been the ones to leave!

I'm in favor of that!

Update: 11 AM ET tomorrow, Adam Silver will hold a press conference about the issue.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24543597/nba-to-announce-findings-of-sterling-investigation