Donald Sterling in hot water

Wow.

Just... Wow. It is all I can really say after listening to this recording. I'm a Laker fan, so I'm clearly biased but... WOW. Talk about a guy who is train wreck. There are so many problems with this story, from his actual comments (which are incredible considering what this man's hobby is), to the fact that his girlfriend was clearly recording their conversation and trying to bait him into answers, to the whopper that it all stemmed from an instagram picture she posted of her and Magic at the game!

Not that she went with Magic to the game, just that she took a picture with the man. And that prompted Sterling to going absolutely bananas. Not sure if Sterling is so upset because it's Magic and the Laker / Clipper rivalry or if he's just lost it completely.

Not that he's ever had it to begin with. The man is a joke of an owner. But how will this play out over the next few days? Magic already tweeted that he'll never go to another Clippers game as well as tweeting out sympathy for Doc Rivers and Chris Paul who "have to play for that man".

http://www.tmz.com/2...-magic-johnson/

What does Clipper Fan have to say about this turn of events. I mean, clearly any Clipper fan paying attention already knew Sterling was a joke -- but this? This is a new low for him.

Edited by GreggyT

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So he's an avowed racist with a black girlfriend? And apparently she's just for show since he discusses her sleeping with other men.

What a kook.

He's an enigma wrapped inside a riddle. A racist slum lord who also owns an NBA franchise who's largest demographic is the color he objects to. You can't make this stuff up.

So he's an avowed racist with a black girlfriend? And apparently she's just for show since he discusses her sleeping with other men.

What a kook.

Yeah, he sounds like a total whack job. Also, his wife, rather than divorcing him, is filing a lawsuit against his girlfriend. Bunch of weirdos.

But this has got to be a moral dilemma for the players. I'm guessing he will be forced out.

Now the Clippers get good, are wininng and they start bickering.

I think the karma thing still holds true.

What's not to love about this team... Its a BFLO tradition!

;-P ;-P

Hopefully, this whole affair taints the team's image in LA so much they will have to start over somewhere else. Maybe back here in B'LO!

Yeah, he sounds like a total whack job. Also, his wife, rather than divorcing him, is filing a lawsuit against his girlfriend. Bunch of weirdos.

But this has got to be a moral dilemma for the players. I'm guessing he will be forced out.

It's been a widely discussed topic on several occasions long before this tape- not news to his players or the league. It'll be interesting to see if they handle it differently but it was a pretty poorly kept secret even before this.

This isn't on buffalo...the buffalo franchise owner switched with the Celtics owner then went to Los Angeles... So the clippers technically are the former Celtics and the Celtics are technically the former braves

....I think

And, I thought the Clippers sucked for decades because of the karma of leaving Buffalo.

It's been a widely discussed topic on several occasions long before this tape- not news to his players or the league. It'll be interesting to see if they handle it differently but it was a pretty poorly kept secret even before this.

It was never on tape before. Rumors and hearsay are easy to dismiss or ignore when there's no audio. The NBA is in a tough spot, they can't force him out. They can just make it unbearable for him if he stays.

This isn't on buffalo...the buffalo franchise owner switched with the Celtics owner then went to Los Angeles... So the clippers technically are the former Celtics and the Celtics are technically the former braves

....I think

Yeah, I never quite did have that whole thing figured out. I think the Celtics got some of the players, plus John Y Brown, and the rest of the player went to San Diego, and I have no idea who the owner was there.

It was never on tape before. Rumors and hearsay are easy to dismiss or ignore when there's no audio. The NBA is in a tough spot, they can't force him out. They can just make it unbearable for him if he stays.

It was never really dismissed though, and I feel ignored implies it wasn't widely discussed or documented. It was simply accepted as it is who he is from everything I've ever heard. I haven't heard anyone from the nba, fans, or players have any surprise from the tape yet (I haven't followed closely today).... Simply that they are unhappy, while several have come out with a "yup, we know that's who he is" kind of comment.

2009: the sordid life of Donald sterling, covering espn the magazines profile of what a racist jerk he is, including depositions from his 2003 lawsuit for being a racist jerk (evidence of a wide variety of embarassing behavior): http://deadspin.com/5263277/the-sordid-life-of-clippers-owner-donald-sterling

More incidents: http://www.sportsgrid.com/media/donald-sterling-racist-remarks/

And awkward behavior in front of players:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Donald-Sterling-allegedly-acted-terribly-in-the-?urn=nba-304544

And of course the well reported "you think you can coach those n******s?" incident:

http://deadspin.com/today-in-donald-sterling-is-an-ugly-racist-641687240

I know that audio will help "make it real" but I don't think anyone familiar with him had an ounce of doubt - there are enough stories from enough sources across enough years including sworn court documents.... It seems the nba accepted it as "it is what it is." Maybe with stern out the new commissioner won't accept that though.

I'm a Clips fan because of the Buffalo ties, I thought Sterling was a POS before this and refused to spend any money on the team as long as he owns the Clips. I hope the NBA uses this latest incident to get him out of the league but I have no clue how that would work. The players considered a boycott but knew that would hurt the fans more than anything so they are playing tomorrow.