Donald Sterling in hot water

I'm sure Magic Johnson is rolling with laughter too.

Fair point and I'm not trying to downplay the mean-spirited component. I'm just saying it is rare that someone blows theirself up in such a bizarre way.

I listened to the recording and it was one of the weirdest conversations I've heard in a long time. Especially the part where (paraphrasing) he said that she could sleep with them and hang out with them, but not take them to Clippers games. Adding in the fact that she's of African American and Mexican descent, this guy is conflicted at best, or at worst, a racist in the way the old slave owners were: Thinking that they're inferior, but usable as workers.

Plus, the guy looks like a little creepy troll.

I hope he enjoyed owning the team, because he'll be out of the picture soon.

Basically this. Very confused man.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I listened to the recording and it was one of the weirdest conversations I've heard in a long time. Especially the part where (paraphrasing) he said that she could sleep with them and hang out with them, but not take them to Clippers games. Adding in the fact that she's of African American and Mexican descent, this guy is conflicted at best, or at worst, a racist in the way the old slave owners were: Thinking that they're inferior, but usable as workers.

Plus, the guy looks like a little creepy troll.

I hope he enjoyed owning the team, because he'll be out of the picture soon.

Not arguing with your earlier statements, but how can he be forced out? The NBA as a league cannot do it, he owns the team and it's his private property. They can only convince him to step down or hand the team over to his wife -- if he refuses, they can't do anything about it.

At least not without public outrage. Even then... it's a tricky legal situation.

Is there are way that they can tell it is him on the audio? What is it is a setup? I caught that somebody was being sued and said that they would get even with him.

No one knows for sure (yet) how the tape came to be. But from the audio, it's clear the woman was baiting him into specific responses at times. And it appears to be heavily cut up in spots. The woman on the tape is involved in a civil suit against the Sterling's wife for embezzlement (I'm not certain the exact accusation).

It's him on the audio. As a guy who lives in LA and has had to suffer his voice on multiple occasions, it's definitely him. Though, it's not confirmed yet by anything official.

I care in this case because this isn't you or I being stupid. This is a guy that has a payroll that is 80%(?) African American. They work for this f****ng idiot. I couldn't imagine if I had to work for someone like this.

We may think this is a good old boy thing but I sat at a bar today with a guy who used this scenario to run off a bunch of racial jokes he 'came across' while googling this piece of ****.

A bunch of people are saying this is a non issue in 2014 because we've become a better group of humans but there are way too many people over compensating with their'acceptance' by showing and saying some pretty scary things.

Who really cares about this? The d-bag is just that so why are we bothering to give him attention?

And that is a good example why this should not even be news and the NAACP is a joke.

They were going to give this award to the guy believing him to be a good outstanding person before this broke and now all of the sudden he is not worthy? What?! Either the NAACP did not know anything about the guy or just didn't care...or more obviously they are just a feel good little group that wants to waste time giving out trophies.

He absolutely did compliment Magic. He said the guy should be admired.

Just not by him or anyone associated with him because he's black... that's a compliment masked in obscene racism, JR. I don't mean to be a killjoy, there are certainly humorous elements to this, but let's call it what it is. It certainly is not a compliment.

I care in this case because this isn't you or I being stupid. This is a guy that has a payroll that is 80%(?) African American. They work for this f****ng idiot. I couldn't imagine if I had to work for someone like this.

We may think this is a good old boy thing but I sat at a bar today with a guy who used this scenario to run off a bunch of racial jokes he 'came across' while googling this piece of ****.

A bunch of people are saying this is a non issue in 2014 because we've become a better group of humans but there are way too many people over compensating with their'acceptance' by showing and saying some pretty scary things.

Greggy has been on a soap box about racism down in the basement and turning threads to race arguments. So, it is a bit off kilter to read my response to without factoring that in. I don't know why he took PPP discussion here but it is not customary.

Those scary things are on both ends and that is what terrifies me. The hope I have that we are evolving is that every few years you can kind of look at things and say "yeah, this is better then it used to be." I can only hope it just gets better where race, sexuality, and religion can completely be ignored.

Those scary things are on both ends and that is what terrifies me. The hope I have that we are evolving is that every few years you can kind of look at things and say "yeah, this is better then it used to be." I can only hope it just gets better where race, sexuality, and religion can completely be ignored.

Your issue with me, based on the bolded statement, seems to be you think I'm the sort who goes around crying racism at every corner and somehow thinking that's the end-all-be-all of trump cards. That's not what I'm about, nor what I believe. I do believe there are cases that are so blatant, so clearly racist and hateful that to ignore them is tantamount to silent consent. Donald Sterling is a dickhead. He has been a dickhead for most of his life I bet and his history of criminal racism and discrimination is well documented.

Forgive me if I'm not inclined to give Sterling another pass on this issue. That doesn't make me a hysterical race-baiter. That makes me a man of principle. You say you want to get to a point in history where people can just ignore race -- that's noble. We share the same goal. And for all the reasons you can't reach that goal by turning every racist comment or thought into a war (or worse, politics), you also cannot reach that goal by letting the obvious offenders get away with it.

Donald Sterling is a weird, elderly cat and I think we're all taking what he says to an extreme it doesn't deserve.

It just seems we as a society like to get bent out of shape as a form of exercise anymore.

Oooh, an 80 year old man with racist comments...haven't seen that before ever. B-)

Donald Sterling is a weird, elderly cat and I think we're all taking what he says to an extreme it doesn't deserve.

It just seems we as a society like to get bent out of shape as a form of exercise anymore.

Oooh, an 80 year old man with racist comments...haven't seen that before ever. B-)

He's just set in his ways! The whole world is becoming too PC! I'm a white male so it doesn't offend me! Who cares if the majority of the team he owns is black, he's paying them! As long as the check clears, who cares! right? :)

He's just set in his ways! The whole world is becoming too PC! I'm a white male so it doesn't offend me! Who cares if the majority of the team he owns is black, he's paying them! As long as the check clears, who cares! right? :)

People are and should be entitled to hold whatever opinions they please, regardless of who's offended by them. Likewise, people are then entitled to hold said opinion-holder in extremely low regard for such. I don't see why we should even care that a racist bastard says racist ****.

Now, telling others they're not free to associate with other races, and "don't bring them to my basketball games?" That's a different story - now he's not just talking, he's demanding that others comply with his bigotry to their detriment.

And to add what CBF said... Can we be sure it really is him and that the audio clip is not all cut up/mashed up to make it seem worse. That is, are we really sure?

I think i read something in the news where his lawyer didn't dispute it was him, but i could be wrong

Can someone post in a nutshell what he said?

TMZ is blocked at my work and cant read or listen to the clip

CBF

Basically told his girlfriend to keep her relationships with black people private. She posted pictures of herself with black people on Instagram and he must have people watching what she does because he knew she had those pictures. He says he likes black people and has nothing against them though.

I personally believe Sterling is a moron. That being said, it's good to know someone else is still wading in the same reality as myself.

Makes me wonder about Redick... I'm sure he's disgusted, but what if he isn't? He must now act as or more offended than anyone. Just occured to me watching him address the media post game.

Edited by SmokinES3

Basically told his girlfriend to keep her relationships with black people private. She posted pictures of herself with black people on Instagram and he must have people watching what she does because he knew she had those pictures. He says he likes black people and has nothing against them though.

Thanks!

And wow. What a moron

CBF