Jacobs Family front runners?

There is no need for the Jacobs family to show their hand at this point. Maybe he gets involved if the team is in danger of leaving. All it mentioned was that he would not sell the Bruins to purchase the Bills. Well that is not going to be a problem if their family wants to own both teams.

Stan kronke owns the St. Louis Rams, Denver Nuggets, and Colorado Avalanche franchises. Jeremy Jacobs can give up control of the Bruins to one of his sons and buy the Bills. The other option would be for someone else in his family to purchase the team as long as they are not part of the Bruins ownership.

I think the Jacobs family is still in play here despite everything.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

right. you know. geez.

jw

Ok, so there is obviously a communication issue or we have some peeps in here that get upset at strong remarks, which is crazy, especially on this board - so I'll 're-word' my initial comment.

"Hmmm...I think he's out. There doesn't seem to be any subliminal messages there. I feel that almost all of the information that get's "reported" is false and don't think we will know anything until something actually happens."

There. I hope that helps some of you.

haha.

Ok, so there is obviously a communication issue or we have some peeps in here that get upset at strong remarks, which is crazy, especially on this board - so I'll 're-word' my initial comment.

"Hmmm...I think he's out. There doesn't seem to be any subliminal messages there. I feel that almost all of the information that get's "reported" is false and don't think we will know anything until something actually happens."

haha.

All i'll say is that Wawrow isnt just some fly by night regular poster. He is one of the few people who's opinion actually matters on here. Thanks John.

Yes that does help very much. All your statement now means is in your opinion he's out, but you know nothing else other than you're of the mindset that whatever is written in the press is completely correct and everyone will be completely upfront and tells exactly what they are planning to do.

There's others like myself who don't reside on Fantasy Island that believe until the day things are finalized he's not going to reveal anything. He may still be extremely interested, but gets outbid, so what good would come out of that being revealed? Now there can be 20 columns in the Boston Globe about how JJ is ready to bail at the first chance he gets. Or there hasn't even been bidding criteria developed yet, so why reveal plans.

haha.

I think I am out on all this speculation, until somebody has confirm that somebody has actually made an offer to purchase the team. It is fun to speculate, but when all of the sudden, the "front-runner" has supposedly dropped out of consideration (you mean Jacobs never heard the rule about owning another franchise, until this week?), and we are having to argue the merits of who would be a better owner for us, Trump or Bon Jovi....well...when the answer is Trump, we are treading into wrist slashing territory... this is all too depressing.

I think I am out on all this speculation, until somebody has confirm that somebody has actually made an offer to purchase the team. It is fun to speculate, but when all of the sudden, the "front-runner" has supposedly dropped out of consideration (you mean Jacobs never heard the rule about owning another franchise, until this week?), and we are having to argue the merits of who would be a better owner for us, Trump or Bon Jovi....well...when the answer is Trump, we are treading into wrist slashing territory... this is all too depressing.

Never one to miss an opportunity, it's been reported that WNY Wal-Marts have slashed the price of razor blades by 50%..

All i'll say is that Wawrow isnt just some fly by night regular poster. He is one of the few people who's opinion actually matters on here. Thanks John.

it's all in good fun. didn't mean to offend anybody or tick anyone off. :)

Go Bills!

So what was the purpose of releasing that statement at all then? I know the wording left open possibilities, but why bother making the statement if it had no meaning?

Well, maybe he has other, more immediate constituents he needs to mollify. Like, perhaps, management and fan of another sports team he owns.

So what was the purpose of releasing that statement at all then? I know the wording left open possibilities, but why bother making the statement if it had no meaning?

The fact is, Jacobs' statement was more about him keeping the Bruins than anything about the Bills. He did not categorically rule out an interest in the Bills, which he could have easily done. I found it particularly interesting that the statement concluded with (paraphrasing) "I'm a fan of the Bills AND THEIR LEADERSHIP". What's that about? Currying favor with Mary Wilson and Brandon is not a bad thing to do if you want to buy the Bills and keep them in Buffalo.

Kronke represents an interesting precedent for Jacobs.

Jacobs' is very influential in the NHL and that gravitas may be very appealing to the NFL owners when compares to other options (Bon Jovi or Trump to name a few).

I still think Pegula is a guy to keep in mind, even if he is laying low and keeping his powder dry right now.

Edited by BillnutinHouston

The fact is, Jacobs' statement was more about him keeping the Bruins than anything about the Bills. He did not categorically rule out an interest in the Bills, which he could have easily done. I found it particularly interesting that the statement concluded with (paraphrasing) "I'm a fan of the Bills AND THEIR LEADERSHIP". What's that about? Currying favor with Mary Wilson and Brandon is not a bad thing to do if you want to buy the Bills and keep them in Buffalo.

Jacobs' is very influential in the NHL and that gravitas may be very appealing to the NFL owners when compares to other options (Bon Jovi or Trump to name a few).

I still think Pegula is a guy to keep in mind, even if he is laying low and keeping his powder dry right now.

Considering the substantial partnership he has with the Bills, him complimenting them isn't really a surprise. If nothing else Jacobs would love to continue selling $10.00 beers there on Sundays in the fall. :)

Regarding his influence, it goes well beyond the NHL. He's a member of the US department of commerce travel advisory board, and rubs elbows pretty regularly with major players in DC.

Edited by yall

Why wouldn't he just say he has no interest in buying the Bills? Why be coy about it?

His statement could have been to reaffirm fans in Boston, because maybe he doesn't want to them to think he's selling them and have them worry. I'm sure the Bruins fans would as excited about a new owner as any sports town would be, not very.

FWIW, when the Pelicans were recently sold down here Tom Benson was probably the 4th most talked about person. They eliminated Larry Ellison quickly because he wanted to move the team and then it was considered a 2 horse race. It was between minority owner Gary Chouest who was the favorite along with a guy from California (ironically enough with Benson's brother). Then in the blink of an eye Benson was the owner. The point being there may very well be major players other than those to love to read their names in the paper. Edited by Kirby Jackson

haha.

right, you initially wrote "he's out." now your couching your opinion, which is correct in regards to Jeremy Sr., but the wording of the statement fails to rule out other possibilities. odd, that i need to to spell that out to you.

odd, too, that you feel almost all of the information that gets reported is false. how would you know that?

or are you going to know backtrack on "almost all."

jw

there is meaning to the statement, and it's to make sure that there is no speculation in regards to the Bruins' ownership future. they aren't in play.

jw

there is meaning to the statement, and it's to make sure that there is no speculation in regards to the Bruins' ownership future. they aren't in play.

jw

And that's the answer to the question.

And that's the answer to the question.

I get the need to clarify the ownership question to the Boston folks. I think if Jacobs was interested, he could have said, "My family is interested in buying the Bills, there is an NFL rule that prohibits cross-ownership of franchises in two cities. Under no circumstances would I sell the Bruins in order to buy the Bills. My family will look at other options that the NFL would support". Now, maybe that's going too far for his taste, but something along those lines could appease the Bruin faithful while officially throwing his hat in the ring to buy the Bills.