Jacobs Family front runners?

Compare how or by what measure? Popularity, probably not. By winning the Bills aren't in the same ballpark given their absence of a title in their sport. By legendary, transcendent players, who do the Bills have to compare to Bobby Orr, the greatest defenseman of all time? No one. Reggie White was better than Bruce Smith. Barry Sanders and Emmitt Smith were better than OJ or Thurman. 10 guys are better than Andre and Bruce and Kent Hull and fill in the blank. By money/profit? I don't have the figures on profit since no one offers that up but I'd be willing to bet that the Jacob's family makes more on the Bruins than the Bills make. That market size is huge and basically everyone in Mass, NH and Maine are Bruins fans, they sell tons of gear, tickets are expensive, boxes are sold out, and they own the concessions. I'd rather be the Bruins owner than the Bills owner.... winning AND profit, what a novel idea.

Sorry but if I was cognizant as a newborn in the 70s and my parents were able to see the future and said "Here are the Bruins and Bills and their futures, pick one to root for" I'd pick the Bruins. Winning matters no matter what sport.

The NFL has become an overblown hype machine, more shine than substance. Sure we all like it but just because its big and popular doesn't diminish other sports and their franchises. Not sure when a Stanley Cup and the NHL became amateurs in the minds of myopic NFL fans but that's a laughable proposition. And I'm not even an NHL fan, I just find this line of thinking short sighted.

You like Hockey. We get it. Reggie White better than Bruce? Very debatable. More like even. Emmitt or Barry better than The Juice? Just stop. Based on natural talent and physical stature you won't find any sane person who would take Emmitt Smith over O.J. And most would take him over Barry too. He was bigger, yes, faster and not far from being as quick. And no, the Bruins are not as profitable as even the worst valued NFL team. It is what it is.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You raise a great point, but with all due respect I think you have framed it wrong.

There is no LUCK involved with Schumer's participation in this effort. He's involved because the Bills, not the County or NYS, added him as a Committee member. Think about that. Does that not speak volumes about Mary Wilson's intentions going forward? It actually tells all. Thank you again Mr. and Mrs. Wilson!

just make sure there are plenty of cameras..

*One more thing...my brother-in-law is a big-wig at Paychex, and he said Golisano is "intrigued." (Just a thought.)

Golisano will get involved only if he feels the Bills are in danger of getting purchased by an outside group. He doesn't want to get into a bidding war with another Buffalo group. He can certainly be counted on if we need it. I'd consider Golisano the "Plan B" should Jacobs, Trump or an as of yet unknown local group not materialize when the time is right. I don't think it will ever come to that, though. My money is and will remain on Jacobs. I think they are quietly making all the moves. I've believed that he would eventually be the owner of the Bills since he made a play for the Browns expansion team and it didn't work out. It was only a matter of time.

Compare how or by what measure? Popularity, probably not. By winning the Bills aren't in the same ballpark given their absence of a title in their sport. By legendary, transcendent players, who do the Bills have to compare to Bobby Orr, the greatest defenseman of all time? No one. Reggie White was better than Bruce Smith. Barry Sanders and Emmitt Smith were better than OJ or Thurman. 10 guys are better than Andre and Bruce and Kent Hull and fill in the blank. By money/profit? I don't have the figures on profit since no one offers that up but I'd be willing to bet that the Jacob's family makes more on the Bruins than the Bills make. That market size is huge and basically everyone in Mass, NH and Maine are Bruins fans, they sell tons of gear, tickets are expensive, boxes are sold out, and they own the concessions. I'd rather be the Bruins owner than the Bills owner.... winning AND profit, what a novel idea.

Sorry but if I was cognizant as a newborn in the 70s and my parents were able to see the future and said "Here are the Bruins and Bills and their futures, pick one to root for" I'd pick the Bruins. Winning matters no matter what sport.

The NFL has become an overblown hype machine, more shine than substance. Sure we all like it but just because its big and popular doesn't diminish other sports and their franchises. Not sure when a Stanley Cup and the NHL became amateurs in the minds of myopic NFL fans but that's a laughable proposition. And I'm not even an NHL fan, I just find this line of thinking short sighted.

Wow you sure are crapping in a lot of Bills fans Flutie Flakes. Pry got your class action suit coupon too.

And if Schumer contributes to the cause, then he will have earned the publicity.

I give Chuck and even Kiersten tons of credit, they show up in the Elmira Corning area all the time. Our gov on the other hand to my knowledge never shows up here always send Duffy. But Cuomo seems to make it up the road to Ithaca for the Cornell crowd$ time. This isn't meant to be a political statement, I voted for all three...just an observation and will take any of their help to keep the Bills in WNY.

You raise a great point, but with all due respect I think you have framed it wrong.

There is no LUCK involved with Schumer's participation in this effort. He's involved because the Bills, not the County or NYS, added him as a Committee member. Think about that. Does that not speak volumes about Mary Wilson's intentions going forward? It actually tells all. Thank you again Mr. and Mrs. Wilson!

Good point, I never really thought of that. I always kind of viewed it from the state's perspective but it speaks volumes that he is a part of the Bills group.

Was there ever any reporting on why Jacobs' push for the Browns didn't work out? Would be interesting to know.

never entirely specified. if you're referring to some of the rumors floating around, i've heard them, too, but they would be very difficult to pin down given how secretive everyone is about these things.

jw

and no, i have no intention of expanding on what i just wrote. sorry.

Was there ever any reporting on why Jacobs' push for the Browns didn't work out? Would be interesting to know.

Yep- personal reasons were cited. I think he dropped out when it was apparent he would not win. Lerner was the NFLs choice and I think the bidding was a bit high (Lerner pad over $500 million- a record then). At the time, Jacobs didn't have the net wealth that he has now. There are big differences today in that this team is in his hometown and he is a lot richer.

According to Forbes the Bills are worth $870 M. The Bruins are valued at $600 M.

Yes the Bills are worth more but not nearly as much as some on here would have you believe.

I believe the $600M quoted includes the TD Garden, which Jacobs owns, so, it's not quite apples and apples comparison. Without arena, their value is probably closer to $400M

I believe the $600M quoted includes the TD Garden, which Jacobs owns, so, it's not quite apples and apples comparison. Without arena, their value is probably closer to $400M

According to Forbes Nov 2013 the value of the Bruins was 600 million including 277 million from the stadium.

So the value of the team itself would be 373 million,

The Sabres value was 250 million with 76 million from the stadium (somehow) for a value of 174 million.

Edited by CodeMonkey

True. But does that matter? The arena is part of the Bruins corporation so it would be factored into the overall value of the club. I agree it's not strictly apple to apples but I don't see how you can leave out the arena when the club owns it.

Anyways I'm not looking to argue over semantics. Plus my personal preference would be for the Jacobs family to be the new owners of the Bills.

Oh I'm sorry does the NHL have an 18 billion a yr tv deal. I'm pretty sure the NFL radio deals are higher than NHL tv deal. U got to be kidding me.

On the other note Reggie White is nowhere near Bruce as a DE. Reggie played in the 4-3 on the left side facing right tackles. Also played with Jerome Brown, Clyde Simmons and bunch of other bounty seeking head hunting destroyers like Eric Allen, Wes Hopkins, Andre Waters &Seth Joyner that D might have been the greatest D that never won a Super bowl. Bruce played in the 3-4 as a 5-tech had over 200sacks in his career in which at least 175 of those sacks playing the 5tech which btw is unheard of NUMBERS that no one will ever reciprocate. If Bruce played in a 4-3 D he could of had at 300 sks in his career. Just look it up find me another 5tech De that even reached 100 sacks for a career it doesn't exist.. Bruce over Reggie any day.

As far as the Stanley cup goes check last yrs ratings doesn't even beat the NFL´s Schedule show. I love hockey but most of our country's doesn't care it's not even 4th sport anymore u got to be kidding me.

Edited by NastyNateSoldiers

. . . Bruce played in the 3-4 as a 5-tech had over 200sacks in his career in which at least 175 of those sacks playing the 5tech which btw is unheard of NUMBERS that no one will ever reciprocate. . . .

My older brother Darryl says 1/175 = 0.0057. Even Maybin had more sacks than that. Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead

never entirely specified. if you're referring to some of the rumors floating around, i've heard them, too, but they would be very difficult to pin down given how secretive everyone is about these things.

jw

and no, i have no intention of expanding on what i just wrote. sorry.

I can only assume it was their ties to organized crime. Jeremy Jacobs father and uncle were named as unidicted co-conspirators in some mafia thing back in the 70's. I believe there was a car bombing and some other stuff that went down. It's not exactly a secret.

Unless there is something else you're referring to that we're all unaware of.