Bills acquire WR mike Williams

Another thing I like about this...

Gives us more draft flexibility. He's no guarantee, obviously, but neither is a draft pick. As long as he's healthy, though, its reasonable to expect production from him.

I really don't see this team having any glaring holes outside of offensive line, at the moment. It'd be nice to have better players in a couple spots, but we aren't drafting this year out of dire need. This is great. :thumbsup:

frankly, you could still go evans and if evans breaks out boot one of the high paid guys. but atleast you have a year to figure out what you have or let a rookie grow into his role. (essentially replacing hogan and TJ from last years group with Williams and evans)

Edited by NoSaint

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What makes you think that if we don't draft an OT at #9 we won't lose Glenn?

I'm just looking at all the likely scenarios and most of them look bleak. It's possible that the Bills are working on a deal to lock up Glenn long term after this season, and if that is the case, I would be very happy with an OT at #9 depending on who else is there.

From a historical perspective, however, drafting an OT at #9 you want that player there for two contracts. If the Bills take a stud and then have that as insurance in case they cannot sign Glenn, I think we lose Glenn and plan on moving the new RT to LT in two years, then have a guy who may not be as good. If we sign Glenn, which would be great, the new RT is going to be out the door in his mind already because barring major injury, he's playing RT for all four and maybe five years on his rookie deal, and never seeing LT money or playing time which he has been dreaming of his entire life. He will want out after a couple years. Any player would.

If, however, we draft a RT in round two or so, we get a high draft and probably solid player who won't need to be paid LT money in 2-3 years and we don't have the fallback plan so we would likely re-sign Glenn.

That's a lot of speculation, sure. But it's easily imagined. What's very hard to imagine is two good happy tackles for 4-5 years if we select an OT at #9, which is what you would want out of your #9 overall pick.

I'm just looking at all the likely scenarios and most of them look bleak. It's possible that the Bills are working on a deal to lock up Glenn long term after this season, and if that is the case, I would be very happy with an OT at #9 depending on who else is there.

From a historical perspective, however, drafting an OT at #9 you want that player there for two contracts. If the Bills take a stud and then have that as insurance in case they cannot sign Glenn, I think we lose Glenn and plan on moving the new RT to LT in two years, then have a guy who may not be as good. If we sign Glenn, which would be great, the new RT is going to be out the door in his mind already because barring major injury, he's playing RT for all four and maybe five years on his rookie deal, and never seeing LT money or playing time which he has been dreaming of his entire life. He will want out after a couple years. Any player would.

If, however, we draft a RT in round two or so, we get a high draft and probably solid player who won't need to be paid LT money in 2-3 years and we don't have the fallback plan so we would likely re-sign Glenn.

That's a lot of speculation, sure. But it's easily imagined. What's very hard to imagine is two good happy tackles for 4-5 years if we select an OT at #9, which is what you would want out of your #9 overall pick.

in outlining the thought processes going into the decisions, its very reasonable takes on the team and player sides. its far from a certainty, but its a very practical breakdown of a very possible outcome.... about as much as you can do projecting a situation pre-draft, pre-negotiations, and all

it certainly doesnt just assume the best or worst like most projections, but places likely assessment in all the crossroads.

Edited by NoSaint

Another thing I like about this...

Gives us more draft flexibility. He's no guarantee, obviously, but neither is a draft pick. As long as he's healthy, though, its reasonable to expect production from him.

I really don't see this team having any glaring holes outside of offensive line, at the moment. It'd be nice to have better players in a couple spots, but we aren't drafting this year out of dire need. This is great. :thumbsup:

Totally agree!! They can draft BPA, trade up, trade down and just improve the overall talent level of the roster. I am not sure that this changes their targets it just adds flexibility.

Would anyone be opposed at this point to pick 9, 41 and next year's second for Clowney? You can draft James (UT) or someone like that in the 3rd to play RT.

So, Marrone cuts Da'Rick Rogers because of his attitude, and now trades for Mike Williams who's a much bigger problem child than Rogers?! WTF is Marrone thinking?!

It was Rogers ONfield attitude that seemingly irked the Bills. Nobody's complaining about Williams in that regard. The off field stuff? We'll have to wait and see. Worth the risk of a 6th round pick. Edited by yungmack

Totally agree!! They can draft BPA, trade up, trade down and just improve the overall talent level of the roster. I am not sure that this changes their targets it just adds flexibility.

Would anyone be opposed at this point to pick 9, 41 and next year's second for Clowney? You can draft James (UT) or someone like that in the 3rd to play RT.

That would be a small price to pay for Clowney, which would make the Bills DL the best in the league IMO.

No, not having a QB is the Bills trouble.

So, a TE in the first would make you happy, but a tackle would not. Interesting.

Chandler had 53 catches last year. How many must Ebron have to justify taking him at 9? at 15?

People see this huge need at TE and it simply does not exist. Would I like to see the position improved? Certainly, but unless Ebron can come in and grab 80 catches I don't see the 'value.'

Chandler was terrible last year and this seems to be another in an endless series of stats being used to prove a point when I saw every single play last year and Chandler sucked overall. IF Chandler is our second TE with a guy who can split the seams, I'm thrilled we have Chandler as the second TE. I'm not sold on Moeki or Gragg being that guy although it's possible.

Just looking at things in a vacuum, saying I'm happy with a TE in round 1 but not happy with an OT in round 1 would indeed sound stupid.

But I don't live in a vacuum. It seems kind of sucky. I'm looking at what I have seen with my own eyes last year, and 50 years previously, as well as considering all factors, near, mid and long term, as well as playing out likely and unlikely scenarios. You know, like how a football guy or a GM or a coach would, and I would hope any serious fan would.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

What's very hard to imagine is two good happy tackles for 4-5 years if we select an OT at #9, which is what you would want out of your #9 overall pick.

I can understand this. Btw, you were ahead of your time in talking of the importance of RTs. The thing is they still cost less, generally speaking. Fluker was the perfect RT selection last year, whereas he is a pure bruiser and will probably stay at RT.

I do however think that things have changed a lot due to the new CBA. Draft choices cost pennies now, and it would seem to be a great idea to have talented, cheap OTs. This of course also applies to the QB position.

Jmo.

frankly, you could still go evans and if evans breaks out boot one of the high paid guys. but atleast you have a year to figure out what you have or let a rookie grow into his role. (essentially replacing hogan and TJ from last years group with Williams and evans)

Yes you could. Which is one of the options. And goes back to draft flexibility. :) I don't feel like we'll have a great desire to reach for need this year, and to me that's really valuable.

This is a good, low-risk move. Thinking about drafting a WR at #9 overall, consider the makeup of the WR corps. The Bills would have Stevie Johnson then a rookie (let's just say Evans for the moment) and two, 2nd year guys (Woods, Goodwin) to be paired with a 2nd year QB who only finished 9 games. This way they potentially have a veteran to pair with the young QB.

The moves the Bills are making indicate to me that they think they are on the verge of making the playoffs. They added depth guys on defense in free agency plus Brandon Spikes. The signing of C. Williams for OG plugs a hole (and with the Levitre move last year shows how much they value guards).

Marrone and Moore know the guy and were willing to take another chance on him. This really opens up a lot of possibilities for them in the draft. They can stand pat and take the player they like the best. If Matthews or Robinson fall to them, they will probably pounce on them. Maybe they really like Ebron.

They can also trade down and get more picks in a deep draft. Maybe someone really wants Evans at 9 and is willing to move up 4-7 spots and give up a mid-2nd rounder. They may be able to still get Ebron or Lewan.

Edited by jwhit34