Rotoworld analysis of Bills needs

Lothar

until you have a FRANCHISE QB it "should" be your #1 need.

but hey, lets wait for EJ, what do have to lose besides extending our playoff drought.

I suppose you wanted Moulds and bruce smith gone after they didn't perform exceptionally their first year or two in NFL. Patience grass hopper

but hey, lets wait for EJ, what do have to lose besides extending our playoff drought.

Well..That's what they're doing...And like everything else with this team you'll just have to wait and bash them when it all goes wrong... ;)

But for now it is what it is...They're sticking with EJ and we'll all be hoping he takes a big step in year #2...I'm one who believes you can't judge too much on his Rookie year...QB's rarely do well in their Rookie years anyway, and his was marred by injury...We'll see how this thing looks at this time next year...I can't fault the Bills for sticking with EJ...That's the plan and they're sticking to it...Period... B-)

I suppose you wanted Moulds and bruce smith gone after they didn't perform exceptionally their first year or two in NFL. Patience grass hopper

Common Pete you're putting words in the man's mouth. Why are you afraid to have competition at the QB position? Nobody (that I've seen) says Manuel should gone.

I'll bet if you keep repeating this lunacy, someone will finally agree. Don't stop now!

Why is wanting to have a legitimate QB lunacy? Manuel may grow into one or he may not. Meanwhile 3 more years have passed. Regardless of the round if the FO believes in a guy they better grab him. And they better understand something Buddy never did; a QB's value in the draft is inflated. If you wait, you lose.

I'm certain that there were multiple QB's that the Bills liked during Buddy's reign, that's just plain common sense, but he played chicken, he waited and he lost. See your guy...get your guy.

On what planet was EJ's when-healthy performance "disappointing?" I'm not saying said performance put him in the MVP hunt, but let's be serious. It was--at worst--on par with what should be reasonably expected from a rookie!

Planet Tampa. Having witnessed the QB play of manuel that day first hand (and others when he wasn't hurt) was disappointing and that is being very kind. Granted the whole team sucked that hot afternoon. But the kid exhibited zero NFL traits, awareness, etc. He had happy feet and never got past his first read. if someone was open like TJ Graham was he threw a Fritz like dirtball 10 yards in front of him. And everyone in the huge Bills crowd there was united in that opinion since thousands left early, and any taking a lot of trash talk from frigging bucs fans no less.

Now today Rodak writes that Whaley is content to go in the season with the 3 QB's on the roster. If this kid cannot play 16 games and at least come out 8-8. Expect the rebuild to push 17+ years after they reach yet again in 15 or 16's draft. Like some have mentioned here. He simply doesn't show the it factor nor the swagger. That cannot be coached up. What Bills fan doesn't want him to succeed? But personally I saw a lot of Trent Edwards in the kid to make his success in the NFL more of a long shot than a guarantee. Why does the Bills FO seem to have to coddle their QB's? How did that work out for Fitz? Why is Whaley and company afraid to have some honest competition out there? This is why a loser mentality exists on the team and the tarnish is getting worse, from a management prospective.

Why is wanting to have a legitimate QB lunacy? Manuel may grow into one or he may not. Meanwhile 3 more years have passed. Regardless of the round if the FO believes in a guy they better grab him. And they better understand something Buddy never did; a QB's value in the draft is inflated. If you wait, you lose.

I'm certain that there were multiple QB's that the Bills liked during Buddy's reign, that's just plain common sense, but he played chicken, he waited and he lost. See your guy...get your guy.

The lunacy--as repeatedly championed by papazoid--is the unwavering commitment to drafting/benching/starting first round quarterbacks until one performs well.

Planet Tampa. Having witnessed the QB play of manuel that day first hand (and others when he wasn't hurt) was disappointing and that is being very kind. Granted the whole team sucked that hot afternoon. But the kid exhibited zero NFL traits, awareness, etc. He had happy feet and never got past his first read. if someone was open like TJ Graham was he threw a Fritz like dirtball 10 yards in front of him. And everyone in the huge Bills crowd there was united in that opinion since thousands left early, and any taking a lot of trash talk from frigging bucs fans no less.

Now today Rodak writes that Whaley is content to go in the season with the 3 QB's on the roster. If this kid cannot play 16 games and at least come out 8-8. Expect the rebuild to push 17+ years after they reach yet again in 15 or 16's draft. Like some have mentioned here. He simply doesn't show the it factor nor the swagger. That cannot be coached up. What Bills fan doesn't want him to succeed? But personally I saw a lot of Trent Edwards in the kid to make his success in the NFL more of a long shot than a guarantee. Why does the Bills FO seem to have to coddle their QB's? How did that work out for Fitz? Why is Whaley and company afraid to have some honest competition out there? This is why a loser mentality exists on the team and the tarnish is getting worse, from a management prospective.

Yeah, he had a bad game. How bout is performance against Atlanta? In Cleveland before he went down? Against New York the second time? The comeback against Carolina?

Each of these were as indicative of his season as the performance in Tampa. Period.

Common Pete you're putting words in the man's mouth. Why are you afraid to have competition at the QB position? Nobody (that I've seen) says Manuel should gone.

I am always up for competition. But I am not about to write off EJ after one year. Last year many posters insisted we drafted our franchise QB even though many of us said that wasn't the draft for a franchise QB. Well last years posters who lobbied for a QB- you got EJ. Now give him a chance

I am always up for competition. But I am not about to write off EJ after one year. Last year many posters insisted we drafted our franchise QB even though many of us said that wasn't the draft for a franchise QB. Well last years posters who lobbied for a QB- you got EJ. Now give him a chance

Pete...I'm old, how long do I have to wait? :D

Team really needs a backup QB, EJ should and will be the starter, when he played he did what you would expect from a young QB. Lets see if the kid can stay healthy and what he can do in year two. I don't know what veteran options are out there but we should bring in someone as a backup.

Pete...I'm old, how long do I have to wait? :D

get him a RT this draft and see what EJ can do. If he sucks 8 weeks in, put in Thad and continue to look for that QB. I am of the opinion that the QB is overrated. We might be alright if D can stay healthy and continute to improve. And if we fortify the line and run the ball effectively. That just might win

and I am old too beerball. I know I can never die before the Bills win the Superbowl. So I just might live forever

I think the problem with trying to draft a QB every year is you never find out whether the QB you just drafted is good enough. If EJ was horrendous - or showed no potential whatsoever - then, cut your losses and pick another one this year. But he shows flashes - and he generally seems to have poise so another year with first team reps and another year playing with starters is not asking too much.

Otherwise, you'll constantly be in a state of disappointment. As Bills fans, I guess we're constantly in a state of disappointment so maybe that's not the right wording ....

Let's see where we stand at the end of the year.

On what planet was EJ's when-healthy performance "disappointing?" I'm not saying said performance put him in the MVP hunt, but let's be serious. It was--at worst--on par with what should be reasonably expected from a rookie!

earth. Ejs problem is he is slow to see open receivers. I hated mcshays "slow eyes" comment but after I watched ejs college tape he definitely does have slow eyes and it carried over to the pros. Dont believe me watch one of his highlight videos(you know the ones that show his good plays but not the bad) and see his receivers have to slow down or be completely stopped when the ball is caught. Nix and Whaley have built a pretty good roster and with solid QB play we are a playoff team. QB is definitely a need.

earth. Ejs problem is he is slow to see open receivers. I hated mcshays "slow eyes" comment but after I watched ejs college tape he definitely does have slow eyes and it carried over to the pros. Dont believe me watch one of his highlight videos(you know the ones that show his good plays but not the bad) and see his receivers have to slow down or be completely stopped when the ball is caught. Nix and Whaley have built a pretty good roster and with solid QB play we are a playoff team. QB is definitely a need.

I don't refute this premise. I refute the implication that it's a certainty he'll never improve.

The lunacy--as repeatedly championed by papazoid--is the unwavering commitment to drafting/benching/starting first round quarterbacks until one performs well.

Yeah, he had a bad game. How bout is performance against Atlanta? In Cleveland before he went down? Against New York the second time? The comeback against Carolina?

Each of these were as indicative of his season as the performance in Tampa. Period.

cleveland was ok. Atl I cant remember. Nyj he was good. Carolina he had one good drive. Similar to the drive jp losman had to end the texans game a few years ago. Dink and dunk against a prevent defense where they give you the easy short passes. He reminds me of trent edwards.

I don't refute this premise. I refute the implication that it's a certainty he'll never improve.

he had the problem throughout college and so far in the pros so it seems like hes having trouble improving on it. I dont know what is causing this problem but I hope he can fix it.

cleveland was ok. Atl I cant remember. Nyj he was good. Carolina he had one good drive. Similar to the drive jp losman had to end the texans game a few years ago. Dink and dunk against a prevent defense where they give you the easy short passes. He reminds me of trent edwards.

he had the problem throughout college and so far in the pros so it seems like hes having trouble improving on it. I dont know what is causing this problem but I hope he can fix it.

Most comebacks are engineered thusly, and we can't just negate them all because JP had one once.

+1

I am amazed at how impatient fans and media are with Manual. QB is HARD to learn in the NFL. Manual had some good games and a couple of very bad games - like most rookie QBs. Colin Kaepernick had some pretty bad games last year and he had a lot better OL and receivers AND is in his 2nd year...

Good thing the impatient ones didn't run Aaron Williams out of town, he looked darned good in his 3rd year.

I don't remember Stevie Johnson or Fred Jackson making much impact early in their career, either...

But hey -- let's keep switching QB's after a year and draft another -- sooner or later we'll get one that is a star in the first year, NOT. QB's who go to poor teams are not superstars to start with.

i'm pretty sure EJ will improve his 29th passer rating and his 28th Total QBR.

the question is by how much. based on his 300 throws , I say he will barely crack the Top 20 in both categories.

which I say isn't good enough.

based on the position the bills were in last year, landing EJ & Kiko for the #8 pick was home run. I would do it again.

I say we still need a Franchise QB and it doesn't look like EJ will be that guy. i'm all for keeping and developing him. but based on his play and likely reoccurrence of injury, at minimum, if a QB is the best available player, they should draft him.

Not sure if this has been posted yet ...

I see that they have OT, S and QB as top 3 needs and they give options for each day.

Can't say I'm a big fan of their options besides Matthews.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/46580/71/nfl-draft-needs-bills

Nothing here we haven't debated ad nausea. But any topic that kicks up this off-season's hottest topic: EJ sucks/Give the kid a chance- is gold!

I'd be happy with any of the guys mentioned -unless Mack falls to us @ 9.

It's hard to disagree with Rotoworld. OT IS a need; FS IS a need; and the fact that we really know nothing of EJ after one season, QB is still a need.

Some may have a coronary if we take a QB in the 1st round. I'd welcome it.

DING! Next QB. DING! Next QB. DING...

Are you trying to count the number of knee injuries EJ had in one season with those Dings? B-)

Well..That's what they're doing...And like everything else with this team you'll just have to wait and bash them when it all goes wrong... ;)

But for now it is what it is...They're sticking with EJ and we'll all be hoping he takes a big step in year #2...I'm one who believes you can't judge too much on his Rookie year...QB's rarely do well in their Rookie years anyway, and his was marred by injury...We'll see how this thing looks at this time next year...I can't fault the Bills for sticking with EJ...That's the plan and they're sticking to it...Period... B-)

with this part. Luck, RGIII, Wilson, Newton, etc.

I think there certainly are examples to the contrary, and I'm actually still bullish on EJ, especially considering he had injury trouble and limited prep, rather than just struggling.

But I think recently rookie year struggles more often correlate to future failure than expected learning curve in a QB.

It's hard to disagree with Rotoworld. OT IS a need; FS IS a need; and the fact that we really know nothing of EJ after one season, QB is still a need.

Some may have a coronary if we take a QB in the 1st round. I'd welcome it.

Saving the coronary for after that 1st round QB busts and we're back to square 1 with either going with EJ or drafting another QB in 2015?

Are you trying to count the number of knee injuries EJ had in one season with those Dings? B-)

Hilarious.

Okay, here are my current Bills needs as submitted to DraftTek:

P1=None. If you submit a P1, you can only have one. It's too limiting.

P2=WR, DE43 (TE is not as big a need as a true #1 WR or a DE43, as we now have 2 on roster)

P3=ROT, TE, ILB, S (Ryan Clark 2011 Pro Bowl Safety, is paying a visit so this may change shortly)

P4=RB, OG, OC

P6=QB, LOT, DT, CB, P

P9= FB, Speed WR, OLB, PK

Let me know if you see it otherwise. Astro

"See your guy, get your guy" doesn't only apply to QB. This year their guy is another position.

Okay, here are my current Bills needs as submitted to DraftTek:

P1=None. If you submit a P1, you can only have one. It's too limiting.

P2=WR, DE43 (TE is not as big a need as a true #1 WR or a DE43, as we now have 2 on roster)

P3=ROT, TE, ILB, S (Ryan Clark 2011 Pro Bowl Safety, is paying a visit so this may change shortly)

P4=RB, OG, OC

P6=QB, LOT, DT, CB, P

P9= FB, Speed WR, OLB, PK

Let me know if you see it otherwise. Astro

I like it. But I rate OT, OG/OC higher than WR. I've actually been thinking one of the 2 top OCs might be a great choice. Someone who could fill in for Wood if he goes down and they can also play guard. Edited by Rockinon

I like it. But I rate OT, OG/OC higher than WR.

Would you rate ROT higher than P3? Maybe P2? I don't see LOT being much higher than P6--Cordy Glenn is the man. My other beef is that Lewan is rated high as a LT but WAYlower if you draft him as a RT (see the P2 Column showing Lewan's 106 slots lower if you take him for RT).

http://www.drafttek.com/Top-100-NFL-Draft-Prospects-2014.asp

I was listening to the NFL radio network (Rich Gannon) was mentioning that having EJ run a hurry up fast paced offense was not the right scheme for a rookie to break into the NFL! Rich's opinion was to run a huddle up offense to slow the game down for EJ. Makes sense to me! So put it on Hackett!

I was listening to the NFL radio network (Rich Gannon) was mentioning that having EJ run a hurry up fast paced offense was not the right scheme for a rookie to break into the NFL! Rich's opinion was to run a huddle up offense to slow the game down for EJ. Makes sense to me! So put it on Hackett!

That and having a rookie OC didn't help either, much less no dedicated QB coach. I don't know of (m)any situations where a team had a rookie QB, OC, and no dedicated QB coach (making the rookie OC a de facto rookie QB coach), with a rookie HC to boot. Also with all the talk of the knee injuries, I wonder if EJ played healthy at any time after suffering that first knee injury and whether it affected not only his ability to run/scramble, but also his throws?

In any case, EJ has no excuses anymore and it's time to produce. Hopefully they get him some more help on offense.

Help on offense? Coming right up!

1-Mike Evans Texas A&M WRF

2-Jordan Matthews Vanderbilt WRF

3-Troy Niklas Notre Dame TE

4-Billy Turner North Dakota St ROT

5-Andre Williams Boston College RBF

6-Chris Watt Notre Dame OG

7-Logan Thomas Virginia Tech QB

But hey -- let's keep switching QB's after a year and draft another -- sooner or later we'll get one that is a star in the first year, NOT. QB's who go to poor teams are not superstars to start with.

Who said anything about starting a newly drafted qb? Why cant he sit and learn and be an insurance policy in case ej doesn't pan out?