Should Buffalo draft 1 of the 3 QBs at #9 if they're there?

Very misleading.

1) There was a time Brady Quinn was going #1 overall before the draft. How did that go?

2) Check Bortles' stats vs. EJ's college stats. Now check their combine measurables. Who is better? Also watch Bortles bowl game and see his amazing 3 screen td passes and multiple INTs.

No NFL scouts are doing the talking. It's guys like Mel Kiper and todd McShay. Their job is to hype things. Qbs help hype. One or maybe more teams are going to take a huge bust in the top 10 with these QBs.

One or more of the teams will take one of the OT's and they'll be a huge bust same can be said for Mack or Mosley, Watkins or Evans. If you hit on one of those positions it won't matter if you don't have a QB.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People just need to understand the term prospect. Every one acts like because you did something good in college, it will translate to the NFL. Size? EJ would win. Arm strength? I think EJ wins. Maturity? I think EJ is at least tied for the lead.

This could be true if you were comparing EJ to Luck. How is that working out? :rolleyes:

Edited by Bill from NYC

This could be true if you were comparing him to Luck. How is that working out? :rolleyes:

EJ had a better QB rating as a rookie than Luck. do I think he's better than EJ? Of course, but it's nice to have perspective when judging young QBs. I know patience sucks. Cute eye roll though. :thumbsup:

Nope.

Too much other good stuff to grab with those high picks. -WR is a priority. Then LB, then T... We can take a chance on a young QB prospect in later rounds... Right now my fave is NDSU's Brock Jensen. He's been a blip on my radar for a couple years... I wasn't sure he could play at the NFL level.... However, the more film I watch on Jensen, the more I feel we should get him in camp. He has accuracy, arm, wheels, and brains.

I don't think I need to remind anyone of what happens if EJ goes down.. Sure, the backups we have are capable, but JUST BARELY. Take another QB Doug... But NOT in rounds 1-4. IMO, The kid from NDSU is definitely worthy of a 6th-7th round flier.

Edited by #34fan

if it's Bortles, yes.

I still say FRANCHIE QB is the #1 need.....and it's not even close.

however, if your going to stay with EJ Manuel then you might as well help him by giving him more time to throw and a better running game. you can do that with an OT.

my draft scenario:

#9 - OT best available if one of robinson, Matthews or lewan.

#41- TE Austin seferian Jenkins

#73- QB AJ McCarron

if it's Bortles, yes.

+1 on this. There is no indication this team has a capable QB on it's roster right now. If it were any other position, WR, TE, LB to name a few, everyone else on this board would want one of the top 3 in round 1. But since it is expected by the extremists around here that we must accept that we have our franchise QB already, without seeing so much as a glimmer of proof, and we have to do so with roughly 10 games played in a rookie season.

+1 on this. There is no indication this team has a capable QB on it's roster right now. If it were any other position, WR, TE, LB to name a few, everyone else on this board would want one of the top 3 in round 1. But since it is expected by the extremists around here that we must accept that we have our franchise QB already, without seeing so much as a glimmer of proof, and we have to do so with roughly 10 games played in a rookie season.

There's no indictation Bortles is either. So why waste another pick? I mean the guy did light up Temple and Florida International so obviously he can handle the Jets (EJ did) or the #2 defense in the NFL (the Panthers which EJ did). But any time you can get a less physically imposing version of the QB you have now, you should definitely do it. :)

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1749727/blake-bortles

http://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?f=EJ&l=Manuel&i=10278

We don't have a lot of evidence on our starting QB, so let's draft a guy who shot up the draft charts out of nowhere from Central Florida, and beat exactly two quality opponents? We think our current starter doesn't take enough shots downfield and has footwork issues, so why not draft Bortles and have two guys with this rap on them on our roster, right?

I'll eat my hat if this guy isn't Blaine Gabbert II: Blainer and Gabberter.

These "draft a QB" threads are funny. If this team, and I mean TEAM actually had all the other pieces in play to compete, I would say yes to any of the big-3 with the #9 pick. The problem is that they do not. They're nowhere close to being like that Brady injury Patriots team that went 11-5 without him. Give a kid more than 11 games before hitting the panic button and get all the other pieces around him.

Very misleading.

1) There was a time Brady Quinn was going #1 overall before the draft. How did that go?

2) Check Bortles' stats vs. EJ's college stats. Now check their combine measurables. Who is better? Also watch Bortles bowl game and see his amazing 3 screen td passes and multiple INTs.

No NFL scouts are doing the talking. It's guys like Mel Kiper and todd McShay. Their job is to hype things. Qbs help hype. One or maybe more teams are going to take a huge bust in the top 10 with these QBs.

I'm not a fan of any of the alleged "top" QB's in this class. Wouldn't mind Manzel if he is there at 9, but would rather take Evans. If Carr is there in Rd. 2 I'd take him. But if the Bills are going to draft a QB, I'd go w/ A. Murry later in the draft, or UDFA Connor Shaw or Tom Savage.

NOT taking a QB somewhere in the second to fourth round would be a huge gamble. EJ is 50-50; we don't know too much more about him now than we did in September.

First round is a moot question, however, they already said they weren't doing that and there are too many needs in other areas. But, yeah, I really hope we draft another QB to provide a competition/backup/starter/another option role. I just don't understand this mindset of cashing in all of your chips/putting all eggs in one basket mentality.

If there is a QB worth taking at 9 by all means draft him! I don't buy into the bunk about there is not enough practice time to go around and that it will hinder EJ development. If this was the case you could never develop a QB because the current starter would be getting all the reps. If it’s me, I draft a QB tell him he is the backup. Let EJ play out the year. If he sucks we have are developmental guy in house. Then next year draft another QB just in case the 2014 QB sucks it up in 2015. If we don’t draft a QB this year and EJ does stink up the field, then we are drafting another QB next year and waiting 2 more years to see if he is the quy.

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

These "draft a QB" threads are funny. If this team, and I mean TEAM actually had all the other pieces in play to compete, I would say yes to any of the big-3 with the #9 pick. The problem is that they do not. They're nowhere close to being like that Brady injury Patriots team that went 11-5 without him. Give a kid more than 11 games before hitting the panic button and get all the other pieces around him.

Just to make sure I have this straight...the Bills should not worry about finding a franchise QB until all the other pieces are in place.

Whoa.

NOT taking a QB somewhere in the second to fourth round would be a huge gamble. EJ is 50-50; we don't know too much more about him now than we did in September.

First round is a moot question, however, they already said they weren't doing that and there are too many needs in other areas. But, yeah, I really hope we draft another QB to provide a competition/backup/starter/another option role. I just don't understand this mindset of cashing in all of your chips/putting all eggs in one basket mentality.

That comment doesn't make sense about how not drafting a QB is putting all our eggs in one basket. Its actually just the opposite. This team has empty baskets at several other positions on this team and you want to add more QBs? Drafting more QB's would be putting all our eggs in that one basket rather than filling other baskets with those picks. And at this point, EJ has done enough to show he has potential and we need to allow him time to reach his potential and add pieces around him to do so.

Young QB's NEED reps...having a high draft pick rookie QB and EJ sharing snaps is not going to help either of their growth. EJ needs to be the man, take the lion share of the snaps, and be given every chance to succeed. Adding some high level draft pick who doesn't have any more upside than EJ has isn't going to help either of them...and mark my words, none of these QB's are any less risky than EJ, there are no Lucks in this draft.

And like I said before...QB's are available in every draft, every year. This isn't the only chance to get one. If EJ doesn't elevate his game this year, then we can look hard at one next year. And come next year, we hopefully have less holes because we filled some with quality draft picks this year in a deep draft at all the other positions.

PS: Bortles and Manziel are some of the riskiest QB prospects to be so over hyped I have seen in a while. I wouldn't take either in the top half of the first round, and quite frankly, Manziel is a 3rd QB prospect at best for me. Manziel should send 20% of his first signing bonus to Russel Wilson, because had it not been for him Manziel would not have a first round grade.