Should Buffalo draft 1 of the 3 QBs at #9 if they're there?

Point being they weren't always high picks. Most of the people who think drafting a first round QB is a bad idea also think it'd be a good idea to draft one sometime this April.

Only one of those guys was a #1 pick and he got a lot of time.

I agree. I think it's not a bad practice to regularly spend a mid (not late) round pick on a QB.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They took Whitner instead of Jay Cutler because they had JP Losman.

They took Leodis instead of Flacco because they had Tent Edwards.

They passed on a buttload of QBs because of Fitz. Hell, I love Dareus but when you need a QB and are sitting at #3 overall there are a variety of moves that can be made to get *someone* that's likely to be better than Fitz. Then Kaepernick fell in their lap and they still passed. Gailey was running a pistol and Kaepernick passed for over 2000 yards and rushed for over 1000 yards three straight seasons out of the pistol. W T F

Forgive me if I don't give Bills QBs the longest leash. I've already said that EJ should start this coming year no matter when/if they draft another QB. But passing on one of the top prospects better be because they think that prospect will be a bust, not because they need to wait and see about EJ.

Hope is for the fans. The FO needs to be pragmatic.

You may not approve, but OBD has "their" guy.

I don't think that they need my approval, but thanks.

May not? LOL!

GO BILLS!!!

You haven't answered my question about how you'd feel about the 2014 Bills if EJ loses the QB competition. LOL

They passed on a buttload of QBs because of Fitz. Hell, I love Dareus but when you need a QB and are sitting at #3 overall there are a variety of moves that can be made to get *someone* that's likely to be better than Fitz. Then Kaepernick fell in their lap and they still passed. Gailey was running a pistol and Kaepernick passed for over 2000 yards and rushed for over 1000 yards three straight seasons out of the pistol. W T F

Forgive me if I don't give Bills QBs the longest leash. I've already said that EJ should start this coming year no matter when/if they draft another QB. But passing on one of the top prospects better be because they think that prospect will be a bust, not because they need to wait and see about EJ.

To be fair, the Bills had every intention of taking Cam Newton if he was there. But yeah, Kaepernick.

Edited by dave mcbride

I don't think that they need my approval, but thanks.

You haven't answered my question about how you'd feel about the 2014 Bills if EJ loses the QB competition. LOL

I must have missed your question in the midst of all the jocularity and madcap hi-jinx of the thread.

Anyway, not a difficult question. If EJ permanently loses the starting job, then we at least have some answers moving forward. I say permanently because I see the possibility of sitting him if he's struggling and needs to take a look from the sidelines to gain perspective. That's not uncommon. If he can't play his way out of it, the team has lost confidence in him as the starter, and he clearly proves incapable, then you make plans to draft a better talent in 2015. I certainly don't see Lewis as any sort of long term answer at the position and our 2014 season would be compromised at best.

And what happens if EJ Manuel pans out this year?

GO BILLS!!!

So K-9 you don't think the FO and Marrone have any reservations about EJ that weren't there on draft day?

I'm sure the FO and Marrone have reservations about several positions, including QB. All of us know EJ didn't light the world on fire consistently, his lower body mechanics are a mess, and he needs to be smarter about taking care of himself out there. At the same time they hold reservations, they also are excited about the potential he flashed much of the time last year. Stands to reason a year in the system and maturation in pro ball will serve him well.

As to anything specific vs. when they drafted him, no. I think he was pretty much what they expected from him as a rookie. They weren't under any illusions that he was anything but a raw prospect who needed time to develop. But he displayed his abundant physical gifts enough to know they were right about them. He also proved to have the work ethic they thought he needed to make the transition. Let's not forget he had beaten out Kolb before Kolb got hurt. I know they weren't expecting that to happen so quickly.

GO BILLS!!!

Where does Russell Wilson fit into all this? Too QBs have slipped right passed us and the real stinger is that we haven't had a real QB in 20 years! Wouldn't you think that SOMEONE would have done something in all these years to make that position the #1 priority??!

yes

Sorry BB. Looks like the Texans are preparing to take Bortles and let him sit for two years behind Fitz. You may want to psychologically prepare for this eventuality.

GO BILLS!!!

Since we now know EJ is brittle.....to some extent anyhow, the issue is if Lewis an adequate backup. I guess I think yes, but...if a top talent falls to them...either Borttles or Manzel....I would take one myself. Depth at any position is important. We do not have that at QB. Not sure Manxel has the head to sit though, so probabily would only do Borttles if he is there.

Edited by bigK14094

QB is by far the weakest position on the Bills. followed by O-line and then TE.

hard to believe the 28th best QB is good enough for some folks, when 50% of the success of the offense is predicated on the QB.

when EJ improves to 20th best, i'm sure his supporters will be ecstatic.

20th is NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

until you get a FRANCHISE QB, you are wasting your time.

Sorry BB. Looks like the Texans are preparing to take Bortles and let him sit for two years behind Fitz. You may want to psychologically prepare for this eventuality.

GO BILLS!!!

Bortles to Houston is a lock.