Should Buffalo draft 1 of the 3 QBs at #9 if they're there?

If the coaches went to the GM and wanted to pick a QB in the 1st round, I would fire them. The only valid reason to give up on EJ after a year is because you are really considered about his injury situation. But if you honestly misjudged EJ so bad, you feel the need to replace him after one season, why should I trust you to draft another guy. But they aren't drafting a QB and here's a few more reasons:

1) You're cheating EJ and/ or the future QB of a valuable resource. Taking a QB twice in the first is passing up a playmaker or offensive linemen that would help any young QB.

2) Say you draft a guy and EJ beats him out in preseason. EJ had over a 100+ QB rating last preseason and won the job outright. So you just spent a 1st round pick in a deep draft on a backup QB. Genius.

3) Who are these better prospects? Blake Bortels, who posted basically the same stats as EJ and was less impressive at the combo? Watch his bowl game against a crappy Baylor D. A few picks and 3 td passes on screen passes. The hype surrounding him is mind blowing.

Is it Bridgewater? Very skinny, questionable arm strength, didn't face great competition. The only one who might give some pause is Manziel because of his production. But if he busts, the signs were all there. Little, kinda of a douche, played behind 2 top 10 picks OTs, and threw jump balls to a 6'5" top 10 wr.

4) As good as Russell Wilson as been, the team around him is better. He can throw for 100 yards and "win" a playoff game. You're cheating EJ and if he fails, a future QB. Remember next year's QB class is always better.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the coaches went to the GM and wanted to pick a QB in the 1st round, I would fire them. The only valid reason to give up on EJ after a year is because you are really considered about his injury situation. But if you honestly misjudged EJ so bad, you feel the need to replace him after one season, why should I trust you to draft another guy. But they aren't drafting a QB and here's a few more reasons:

1) You're cheating EJ and/ or the future QB of a valuable resource. Taking a QB twice in the first is passing up a playmaker or offensive linemen that would help any young QB.

2) Say you draft a guy and EJ beats him out in preseason. EJ had over a 100+ QB rating last preseason and won the job outright. So you just spent a 1st round pick in a deep draft on a backup QB. Genius.

3) Who are these better prospects? Blake Bortels, who posted basically the same stats as EJ and was less impressive at the combo? Watch his bowl game against a crappy Baylor D. A few picks and 3 td passes on screen passes. The hype surrounding him is mind blowing.

Is it Bridgewater? Very skinny, questionable arm strength, didn't face great competition. The only one who might give some pause is Manziel because of his production. But if he busts, the signs were all there. Little, kinda of a douche, played behind 2 top 10 picks OTs, and threw jump balls to a 6'5" top 10 wr.

4) As good as Russell Wilson as been, the team around him is better. He can throw for 100 yards and "win" a playoff game. You're cheating EJ and if he fails, a future QB. Remember next year's QB class is always better.

I agree with this. EJ Manuel is a better prospect than ANY of the three right now. I don't see the edge any of them have on him at this point. All EJ needs to do is elevate his game into the middle third of the league this year, if he does-playoffs. The Hierarchy knows that the team around the QB has to improve in some areas. And, after the draft it will be obvious this team is a force to reckon with!

I agree with this. EJ Manuel is a better prospect than ANY of the three right now. I don't see the edge any of them have on him at this point. All EJ needs to do is elevate his game into the middle third of the league this year, if he does-playoffs. The Hierarchy knows that the team around the QB has to improve in some areas. And, after the draft it will be obvious this team is a force to reckon with!

People just need to understand the term prospect. Every one acts like because you did something good in college, it will translate to the NFL. Size? EJ would win. Arm strength? I think EJ wins. Maturity? I think EJ is at least tied for the lead.

But we have no idea. EJ's injuries should be part of the picture. It also could be argue that part of the inaccuracy at times was due to missed practice time by him and wrs (only Graham stayed healthy). I never once said that EJ will definitely be the answer but give the guy a chance. I miss patience. :(

This is the aspect that has me and others encourgaing Drafting another QB. Have we beeb beaten down so bad that a mid-level QB is all we hope for? My answer is NO!

As for 'next season's QB's are going to better', not this year compared to last year. Bills NEEDED a QB, so they took the one they thought the most of in a mediocre- at best- QB class. This class IS better than last years group.

Again, YES! Draft a QB the Bills brass has rated high.

This is the aspect that has me and others encourgaing Drafting another QB. Have we beeb beaten down so bad that a mid-level QB is all we hope for? My answer is NO!

As for 'next season's QB's are going to better', not this year compared to last year. Bills NEEDED a QB, so they took the one they thought the most of in a mediocre- at best- QB class. This class IS better than last years group.

It happens in steps. It is not realistic to expect him to be a top level QB next year. Patience is required.

Absolutely not. One, none of the top 3 are slam dunks. Two, Manziel is a 2nd round QB at best but thanks to Russel Wilson has elevated his draft stock. Three, you can't develop a QB until the right tools are around him. Use our early picks to get EJ help, not to create a QB controversy. EJ showed enough to earn this season to develop.

I know this team only is going as far as our QB can take us, but for gods sake people, EJ was a rookie last year. Plus he missed time, everyone on the offense missed time, and we had a rookie coaching staff. It's not time to abandon him yet.

And the number one reason you can not take a QB that high this year is that EJ NEEDS the reps, and a high draft pick is going to take those reps away. In fact, splitting reps isn't going to be good for the rookie or EJ. Not being able to commit to one or the other will stunt both their growth.

News flash...there will be more QBs in the draft next year too if EJ doesn't improve this year. But to stunt the growth of him and also any rookie we took high by splitting reps would be so stupid at this point. Take a QB later in the draft where there is no pressure to make a starter or get reps, but you don't take one in the early rounds when we still need to add players around whoever the QB is going to be.

Edited by Alphadawg7

I am waiting for this board to melt down when Thad Lewis outplays EJ in camp and TAKES the starting job away from him.

#Justsaying it might happen, stranger things have happened before :nana: :rolleyes:

If by some miracle Manziel drops to us we Better take him.

Anybody else no.

This board would melt down if the first round pick from last year and first QB picked lost his job to and UDFA with leads game experience.

Rightfully so! That would suck a whole awful lot.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

I think that you're not the only person to post this sentiment, or perhaps you've posted it several times. But, I think it's wrong on several levels.

The situation Marrone walked into last season gave him no choice but to draft a QB in the first. The discussions on these boards weren't even about whether or not we would draft a QB in the first, but which one it would be. And, that was out of a severely weak class. AND, EJ was barely on anyone's radar. If Manziel or Bortels were in last year's draft, no one would have even been talking about Geno Smith, who was the clear frontrunner. History is littered with first round draft picks who underperformed--and, so far, EJ is one of them. That is not a reason to fire Marrone. Denying the issues we have at QB would be. And, what is wrong with drafting a first round QB two years in a row? Washington drafted RGIII, and Kirk Cousins in the same draft.

Given the factors-- the weak class EJ was drafted from; his three knee injuries, and the games he missed; the fact that "the jury is still out" on EJ (God, I hate that phrase!); the lack of a veteran back-up; the dreadful issues we had at QB last season (too numerous, and depressing to list here), I see no reason to hold it against anybody for wanting to draft a QB in the first. Who cares what we did in the last draft???

Look at it this way, we have three options:

1) We get a QB in FA.

2) We get a QB in the draft.

3) We sit on the QB situation we have.

I was hoping for #1, but that is looking less likely by the day. #3 seems too depressing to even think about (although a shocking number of people on these boards seem fine with it). If we go with #2, we better fight to get the one we want (even if that means trading UP imho), or it will be a wasted pick. When Marrone arrived, we were looking for a franchise QB. We don't know if we have found one. So, why shouldn't we still be looking?

Edited by Rocky Landing

Absolutely not. One, none of the top 3 are slam dunks. Two, Manziel is a 2nd round QB at best but thanks to Russel Wilson has elevated his draft stock. Three, you can't develop a QB until the right tools are around him. Use our early picks to get EJ help, not to create a QB controversy. EJ showed enough to earn this season to develop.

I know this team only is going as far as our QB can take us, but for gods sake people, EJ was a rookie last year. Plus he missed time, everyone on the offense missed time, and we had a rookie coaching staff. It's not time to abandon him yet.

And the number one reason you can not take a QB that high this year is that EJ NEEDS the reps, and a high draft pick is going to take those reps away. In fact, splitting reps isn't going to be good for the rookie or EJ. Not being able to commit to one or the other will stunt both their growth.

News flash...there will be more QBs in the draft next year too if EJ doesn't improve this year. But to stunt the growth of him and also any rookie we took high by splitting reps would be so stupid at this point. Take a QB later in the draft where there is no pressure to make a starter or get reps, but you don't take one in the early rounds when we still need to add players around whoever the QB is going to be.

Why?

Whether we draft a QB high, low, or not at all, we are going to start the season with three QBs. The backup will (and should!) get reps. If we draft a first round QB and put him in the backup roll (where EJ should have been),and EJ is the starter, how is that worse than getting a less desirable backup?

Rocky Landing expressed it better than I did. No 1st Round talent last year when we were desperate. True 1st Round talent this year. I say we're STILL desperate.

This part is debatable which is why I say no.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

I'd say no, under any circumstances....however, for me this is EJ's year to sink or swim...I know he was an injured Rookie QB, but this Franchise is quickly becoming more and more relevant and despite last year's record, I have more faith in where this team is heading as a whole than anytime in the last ten years....there is depth and "almost" every position and the best talent is rising to the top...this team should push for the playoffs in 2014 with EJ making huge strides toward being the Franchise caliber QB...if he is not, whether that's due to injury or simply incapable of being the QB - REGARDLESS OF WINS / LOSS RECORD, then next year, JMO, the BILLS **NEED**, I say **NEED***, to go ALL in on the QB..so if that would mean trading every pick for the next three years to get the 1st overall pick if there is a QB truly worthy of it....if not, trading whatever is necessary to get to that Draft position that would mean getting your Franchise QB, your Face of the Franchise - IF EJ can't prove it next year....nothing against EJ, but this team is just about ripe for being a real playoff contender, not there yet, but another good Draft and the very last, and most important, position of question will be QB....and I don't want to hear at the end of next year he was injured for five games, or had knee issues, or his back spasms kept him from running.....NO! A successful QB in this league is just as much a healthy one as he is anything else...it's 2014 or there's the clipboard for the rest of your career in Buffalo...and to be clear, IMHO, if the BILLS went 19-0 and won the Super Bowl but EJ's play was poor (unlikely I know - but I'm making a point), then back-up it is and we're all in on getting the Face of the Franchise QB.....but, hey, that's me...

Edited by BigBuff423

I would think not and I wouldn't want them too but should EJ just be handed the job or would competition to be the starter bring out the best in him? Me personally, I have no problem with Thad Lewis starting if EJ were to go down but drafting another 1st rd QB definitely sends a message. I'm just not sure if it would be counterproductive or be the greatest motivator. The psyche is a fragile thing and this would be walking a very thin line but I 'm curious what the potential pros and cons would be.

In any event having EJ, Lewis and either Manziel, Bortles or Bridgewater as our QB stable would not be hateful. Kick Tuel to the PS if need be and one of these players could be a lottery ticket down the road.

Speculating on this hypothetical scenario I would think that out of the 3 Bortles would be the least sensible for us based on what our apparent skill sets seem to be for what we are looking for in a QB. Manziel and Bridgewater are mobile QBs as in Lewis and Manuel. If we did go after something this then I would wonder if Spiller could be expendable as some other poster has questioned. My here's a lot of moving parts here and I'm quite confident that this will all never happen but it is the off season and hopefully this proposes some interesting possibilities .

No, and EJ is in a competition with Thad I believe.

If Johnny Football falls to he'd be really hard for me to pass up. Bring him and let him duke it out with EJ. May the best man win.

i know it's not what you meant, but i'd rather they choose the QB by having all the candidates face off on the field, and beat each other down until a victor emerges. at least that would only take about 20 minutes. and the staff could get back to teaching one kid how to play QB in the NFL.

yes. two 'rookies' won't get the necessary work to make either of them productive.

backups get limited reps with the 1st team, if any. that's why backups are usually experienced enough to not to have to practice.

if any of the QBs live through the above mentioned brawl - fix up the guy with the most experience as your backup, and point the rest to Buffalo General with some carfare

I just... :unsure:

OK...I understand the sentiment by some that EJ is not the guy...I really do, whether I agree or not...

But the thing is...They're not going to take a QB in the 1st round this year...GM's give nothing away this time of year but Whaley already gave that much away...And to be perfectly honest, while I'm a bit skeptical about EJ myself, I do question how much better Bridgewater, Bortles, Manziel, or Carr may be...When I look at this class of QB's the only one that would really intrigue me if he falls to the Bills is Bortles...And Bortles is at least a year away...He's going to need time...But I do see the possibility of him being a poor-mans Luck...

Now...I've been of the mind for some time now that Bortles is going #1 to the Texans...There are a lot of reasons why I believe that, and connections are there...If Bortles goes #1 that makes the possibility of Bridewater and Manziel being gone by #9 very, very good...So now...Not only are we talking about something the Bills management has been clear they are not going to do, but on top of it the likelihood that any of the top 3 QB's being there at #9 is slim at best...

So when I read stuff like this I just wonder...Why are we wasting our time talking about it?...There is almost no chance whatsoever that the Bills take a QB in the 1st round this year...So why are we even bothering? No offense meant...really...But it's wasted thought... B-)

This part is debatable which is why I say no.

This isn't me talking about 'true 1st Round talent', it's every NFL teams' affirmation and all the leading scouts belief -very UNLIKE last year. Most scouts have 3 QB's off the Board before we even pick @ 9.

Not very debatable at all.

I just... :unsure:

OK...I understand the sentiment by some that EJ is not the guy...I really do, whether I agree or not...

But the thing is...They're not going to take a QB in the 1st round this year...GM's give nothing away this time of year but Whaley already gave that much away...And to be perfectly honest, while I'm a bit skeptical about EJ myself, I do question how much better Bridgewater, Bortles, Manziel, or Carr may be...When I look at this class of QB's the only one that would really intrigue me if he falls to the Bills is Bortles...And Bortles is at least a year away...He's going to need time...But I do see the possibility of him being a poor-mans Luck...

Now...I've been of the mind for some time now that Bortles is going #1 to the Texans...There are a lot of reasons why I believe that, and connections are there...If Bortles goes #1 that makes the possibility of Bridewater and Manziel being gone by #9 very, very good...So now...Not only are we talking about something the Bills management has been clear they are not going to do, but on top of it the likelihood that any of the top 3 QB's being there at #9 is slim at best...

So when I read stuff like this I just wonder...Why are we wasting our time talking about it?...There is almost no chance whatsoever that the Bills take a QB in the 1st round this year...So why are we even bothering? No offense meant...really...But it's wasted thought... B-)

None taken. It's just off season banter -and most of the other threads suck..

I'd counter saying IF any of these 3 are still there at 9, they WILL be a Bill. They're all considered BPA's wherever they land by many scouts, present and formwer GM's.

This isn't me talking about 'true 1st Round talent', it's every NFL teams' affirmation and all the leading scouts belief -very UNLIKE last year. Most scouts have 3 QB's off the Board before we even pick @ 9.

I think it's debatable. Every teams' affirmation seems like a bit of an exaggeration. I'm pretty sure an anonymous GM said there is no QB he would even consider drafting in this class. I have no link but I believe I heard it on a popular national radio show. I've also heard and read quite a few experts going back on their previous opinions about how good this QB class is.

I agree that they might all go top ten, but i believe it has more to do with the demand for any viable QB option than the supply of actual top ten QB talent.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

None taken. It's just off season banter -and most of the other threads suck..

I'd counter saying IF any of these 3 are still there at 9, they WILL be a Bill. They're all considered BPA's wherever they land by many scouts, present and formwer GM's.

Very misleading.

1) There was a time Brady Quinn was going #1 overall before the draft. How did that go?

2) Check Bortles' stats vs. EJ's college stats. Now check their combine measurables. Who is better? Also watch Bortles bowl game and see his amazing 3 screen td passes and multiple INTs.

No NFL scouts are doing the talking. It's guys like Mel Kiper and todd McShay. Their job is to hype things. Qbs help hype. One or maybe more teams are going to take a huge bust in the top 10 with these QBs.