Should Buffalo draft 1 of the 3 QBs at #9 if they're there?

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am astonished at the short term memory of what appears to be the majority of the Bills fans in this forum. Our QB situation last season was miserable. How could anyone be fine with just sitting on the QB situation we ended the season with? Lewis would be a fine backup IF we had a proven starter, who could stay healthy. We don't have a proven starter. And, having suffered three knee injuries in his first season, staying healthy is a pretty big IF for EJ, as well. I was really hoping we would pick up a veteran in FA-- that may still happen-- but how anybody could be satisfied with our QB situation last season is beyond me. If we don't sign a vet, then YES, we should draft a QB-- even if he is just a prospect. Sitting back and just HOPING that our quarterbacks will get better with age, after such a dismal season, is crazy.

To even suggest taking a QB with the 9th pick to send a message to the QB they drafted last year with the 16th pick is just dumb. You don't waste first rounds picks on messages or motivation

The Bills need production out of whoever they draft with the 9th pick and although I am not sold on EJ they won't be taking a QB in the first round two years in a row

Edited by Max997

Why was a project ok last season but it's not now?

It was time to build an offense around a young player with more potential for success than Fitz.

Its too soon to know if Manuel is that player, but he was the best choice last year. This season is his. Next season may belong to someone else.

We should draft QB with all 7 picks every year until we have a franchise QB. That will really Mind F*** Mel Kiper.

Eventually the Bills offensive unit will consist of 11 mobile quarterbacks and that will really mindf*** whoever they play against since any one of them can throw, run or catch on any play.

If the Bills believe in a QB and he's there they'd be silly not to take him no matter the round. I love how folks are calling all of them projects etc. How about we leave those decisions up to the FO. Why was a project ok last season but it's not now?

OK, which QBs in this class are blue-chip rated QBs? In other words, which one is Andrew Luck? I'm perfectly willing to leave it up to the FO and if they think that QB is BPA at nine, I have no problem. Nothing wrong with getting the best football player, regardless. But based on what I've heard, that won't be the case with ANY of these guys.

Taking another project is just a reset at the position. The idea being your current project has a year in the system and that's valuable.

GO BILLS!!!

Only can do something crazy like that if it would be a definite upgrade. None of the QBs in this draft are definite upgrades now or in potential.

That's quite a statement. You're saying that no QB drafted this year will outperform any QB drafted last year.

Eventually the Bills offensive unit will consist of 11 mobile quarterbacks and that will really mindf*** whoever they play against since any one of them can throw, run or catch on any play.

I'm sure there are plenty that can't throw even if they are QB's.

To even suggest taking a QB with the 9th pick to send a message to the QB they drafted last year with the 16th pick is just dumb. You don't waste first rounds picks on messages or motivation

The Bills need production out of whoever they draft with the 9th pick and although I am not sold on EJ they won't be taking a QB in the first round two years in a row

You don't make picks to send messages, you make picks to improve your team.

It was time to build an offense around a young player with more potential for success than Fitz.

Its too soon to know if Manuel is that player, but he was the best choice last year. This season is his. Next season may belong to someone else.

The fact that people are willing to sit tight for 2-3 seasons boggles my mind. If it were any other position people would be clamoring, but QB? No! He needs time. He shouldn't share snaps. He must be treated as the starter. He must not be pushed.

Mind boggling.

OK, which QBs in this class are blue-chip rated QBs? In other words, which one is Andrew Luck? I'm perfectly willing to leave it up to the FO and if they think that QB is BPA at nine, I have no problem. Nothing wrong with getting the best football player, regardless. But based on what I've heard, that won't be the case with ANY of these guys.

Taking another project is just a reset at the position. The idea being your current project has a year in the system and that's valuable.

GO BILLS!!!

My goodness, you love this argument. My job is not to judge the blue chipness of football players. We have a front office who makes those decisions. I'll repeat using slightly different words "if they deem a QB in any round to be of high potential they would be silly to pass him by."

You don't make picks to send messages, you make picks to improve your team.

The fact that people are willing to sit tight for 2-3 seasons boggles my mind. If it were any other position people would be clamoring, but QB? No! He needs time. He shouldn't share snaps. He must be treated as the starter. He must not be pushed.

Mind boggling.

My goodness, you love this argument. My job is not to judge the blue chipness of football players. We have a front office who makes those decisions. I'll repeat using slightly different words "if they deem a QB in any round to be of high potential they would be silly to pass him by."

I don't necessarily love the argument, it's just the one that makes the most sense from a football perspective. You objected to my characterization of the QBs in the class as all being projects. That's the truth. There are no Andrew Lucks. Sorry if that doesn't sit well with you.

And as I've stated on numerous occasions I don't think they'd adverse to taking a QB at 9 if he's BPA. I just doubt that would be the case this year. When you're as bereft of talent as we are, you should take a blue-chip talent at 9 (sorry for using that term again) and this draft is loaded with them.

I get the feeling you just feel EJ Manuel has peaked and it's time to move on.

GO BILLS!!!

I am waiting for this board to melt down when Thad Lewis outplays EJ in camp and TAKES the starting job away from him.

#Justsaying it might happen, stranger things have happened before :nana: :rolleyes:

If by some miracle Manziel drops to us we Better take him.

Anybody else no.

Thad brings a lot of energy, but his skill set is lacking. He will never beat E.J. in a competition. He's a competent back up, no more, no less. Glad we have him but in no way will he win the starting job.

Deductions that I am making:

A. What's the most important position on a team?

B. Last year, or any year for that matter, is EJ looked at as a blue chip prospect?

C. List EJ and the 3 referenced QBs from best to worse. Is any of them leaps and bounds better than the other 3?

I agree, we shouldn't draft a QB to send a message or to motivate. I misspoke but I do feel that there is a reasonable amount of doubt about EJ being the franchise QB that I hope that he is. Insurance or alternatives IMO would be good safe football. For heavens' same, we had a veteran QB trip over, what, a place mat or something absurd like that??!

Deductions that I am making:

A. What's the most important position on a team?

B. Last year, or any year for that matter, is EJ looked at as a blue chip prospect?

C. List EJ and the 3 referenced QBs from best to worse. Is any of them leaps and bounds better than the other 3?

I agree, we shouldn't draft a QB to send a message or to motivate. I misspoke but I do feel that there is a reasonable amount of doubt about EJ being the franchise QB that I hope that he is. Insurance or alternatives IMO would be good safe football. For heavens' same, we had a veteran QB trip over, what, a place mat or something absurd like that??!

Just for clarity, are you referring to EJ's rookie year compared to the others in college or all college comparison?

I honestly haven't looked or know if there is a big difference I'm just asking.

Edited by The Wiz

I find it interesting that we keep finding different ways to ask this same question when the Bills have clearly indicated that this simply isn't going to happen. EJ, right or wrong, is the QB that OBD is committed to for at least the 2014 season. All of this "should we draft another QB at 9?" is beyond the realm of realistic possibility given what we've heard ad nauseam from Whaley, Marrone, et al.