Should Buffalo draft 1 of the 3 QBs at #9 if they're there?

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't necessarily love the argument, it's just the one that makes the most sense from a football perspective. You objected to my characterization of the QBs in the class as all being projects. That's the truth. There are no Andrew Lucks. Sorry if that doesn't sit well with you.

And as I've stated on numerous occasions I don't think they'd adverse to taking a QB at 9 if he's BPA. I just doubt that would be the case this year. When you're as bereft of talent as we are, you should take a blue-chip talent at 9 (sorry for using that term again) and this draft is loaded with them.

I get the feeling you just feel EJ Manuel has peaked and it's time to move on.

GO BILLS!!!

I didn't realize that I quoted you in my first response. My apologies.

I prefer to let the pros do the job, especially when it comes to QB. I watch college ball but the game is so different from the NFL, level of competition, quality players on each side of the ball etc. that it is extremely difficult to figure out (for me) who has what potential. You've made that call and that's ok. To you no player has a markedly higher potential than Manuel. I don't have a clue whether or not that's true and I'm not afraid to admit it.

Please back up your words about what I think about Manuel. I've made many posts about him and I challenge you to find one where I said that he "has peaked" or anything similar.

I find it interesting that we keep finding different ways to ask this same question when the Bills have clearly indicated that this simply isn't going to happen. EJ, right or wrong, is the QB that OBD is committed to for at least the 2014 season. All of this "should we draft another QB at 9?" is beyond the realm of realistic possibility given what we've heard ad nauseam from Whaley, Marrone, et al.

But, we're here to talk about our thoughts on the subject, no?

The fact that people are willing to sit tight for 2-3 seasons boggles my mind. If it were any other position people would be clamoring, but QB? No! He needs time. He shouldn't share snaps. He must be treated as the starter. He must not be pushed.

Mind boggling.

It is mind boggling because of the new CBA. Beerman, Donte Whitner was drafted at #8 in 2006. He was paid more than 30 million dollars by the Buffalo Bills (I think 32). He even held out!!! ANDREW LUCK will be paid FAR less than this.

Times have changed. EJ has promise I suppose, but he was NOT good last season. If the Bills brass really likes a QB they should draft him. With the new CBA there is little to lose.

I didn't realize that I quoted you in my first response. My apologies.

I prefer to let the pros do the job, especially when it comes to QB. I watch college ball but the game is so different from the NFL, level of competition, quality players on each side of the ball etc. that it is extremely difficult to figure out (for me) who has what potential. You've made that call and that's ok. To you no player has a markedly higher potential than Manuel. I don't have a clue whether or not that's true and I'm not afraid to admit it.

Please back up your words about what I think about Manuel. I've made many posts about him and I challenge you to find one where I said that he "has peaked" or anything similar.

But, we're here to talk about our thoughts on the subject, no?

I can't point to anything specific, just a general vibe you give regarding EJ Manuel. If I'm off base on that, my apologies.

GO BILLS!!!

I have no doubt that if there is a QB they like and he is available at the right spot, they will draft him. FO and coaching jobs are on the line after all. Doug Whaley does not have all the time in the world to turn the team around. That being said, I doubt they take one in the first this season. If they go with a QB that doesn't have the prototypical body type, it will likely be later in the draft.

The fact that people are willing to sit tight for 2-3 seasons boggles my mind.

some may be willing to give Manuel this season and next, but if he stay's healthy i think the staff will know what they have by the end of this season.

If the Bills brass really likes a QB they should draft him. With the new CBA there is little to lose.

sure there is.. the development of a good pro QB. let the staff work with ONE kid at a time.. drafting more is subtraction by addition - less time for anyone to learn the game.

As far as drafting BPA thinking with QB the most important position then having the BPA at the QB position is not unreasonable. Trust me when I say that I do NOT want to draft another QB but with that being said I definitely do NOT want what happened last year at the most important position on a team to ever happen again.

Being what most experts are saying is a deep draft with better talent than has been the case the last several years with us not only having all of our picks which happen to be in the earlier part of each round makes this more of a consideration to me. Pair all of that with our team being skilled at most positions and now actually have some kind of depth to them as well makes this more of the time to do something like this than compared to years past.

I find this all very interesting and it's an angle that most people are not anticipating but I think that a move like this could be a franchise maker and worse case scenario it would not be a franchise breaker. Sometimes in a game it's the splash play that makes the difference. Parcels lived by that and even his disciple Sean Payton pulled it off in a Super Bowl and it paid off. The only thing needed is knowing when to make such a bold move, and oh yeah, you have to have the balls to do it. I would have no problem if our staff really liked one of these QBs and went for it , eve if it didn't pan out. Plenty of times a 1st rder doesn't pan out and I'd rather take a shot on a QB than some other position if there wasn't a real stand out player at that slot when it was time for us to pick.

Runs from room screaming from so many negative thoughts about EJ after so little time

Have faith peeps.

till next season anyways

then we reset the clock

Tipster give me one more year to work with the kid .

Runs from room screaming from so many negative thoughts about EJ after so little time

Have faith peeps.

till next season anyways

then we reset the clock

Tipster give me one more year to work with the kid .

Believe me, I really like EJ, I think that he's a great kid and his parents I'm quite sure are so very proud of him and rightfully so. I really, really want him to be the solution but I just don't know, that's the problem. I don't want this post to be perceived as a conspiracy because it's not, I'm pro Bills for over 40 years, always have, always will but I just want to be safe and smart.

Not to scare anyone or be morbid but we all know that there is very little time left before Mr. Wilson's demise and then what? Nobody knows really what is going to happen to this franchise, especially now that our biggest advocate just got a reoccurrence with cancer. (Prayers to you Jimbo). Time is not one of our allies.

I can't point to anything specific, just a general vibe you give regarding EJ Manuel. If I'm off base on that, my apologies.

GO BILLS!!!

I suppose it's easier to suppose rather than take what someone says at face value, but for the record what I've said in the past is that I am less than sold on Manuel. He has all the tangibles, size, leadership abilities etc. What he hasn't displayed are the intangibles, touch, vision, belief in his receivers, belief in his own ability to get the ball where it needs to be etc. If I were forced to put a % on the likelihood that I think he'll become an upper tier QB it would be around 30%. Injuries and very inconsistent play are the reason that I'm as skeptical as I am. I saw flashes, but, too much of what I'd say was doubt by Manuel in his own abilities.

I find it odd that people are willing to live with Manuel as a project yet they dismiss the top QB's in this draft as projects. Let the FO do their job. We can believe them when they say that QB is out of play early in the draft and we can support that, but, we can also hope that if the right guy (to the FO) drops that they would pull the trigger.

Finally, as last year's draft proved (and so has every other draft as far back as I care to go) toss BPA out the window when it comes to QB. The position is too critical to team success. You must over draft the position (or you wait like Buddy did).

I dont think we can give the kid or Nate and Marrone a fair shake yet . I need one year to see what these guys are made of.

I understand your concern . Nothing we can do will change the inevitable though.

Ps i know you are of the best of heart in regard to Buffalo Bills thats why i posted .

We wish the same thing in the end

No, too many other needs to waste on another 1st round QB. Just saw Mayocks assessment do Bridgewaters pro day, he wasn't impressed, and from what I saw, he didn't impress me either, kinda reminded me of Thad Lewis, but not as good as him...lol. Year two for EJ in this system is gonna be better, he just needs better protection and more weapons!

nope thats what bad teams do

And? I hate to say it but up until now I can't really say that we're a good team. The best that I can say objectively is that we 're a young team with some potential, and that's because I'm a diehard Bills' fan and I'm trying to be kind.

You don't make picks to send messages, you make picks to improve your team.

The fact that people are willing to sit tight for 2-3 seasons boggles my mind. If it were any other position people would be clamoring, but QB? No! He needs time. He shouldn't share snaps. He must be treated as the starter. He must not be pushed.

Mind boggling.

My goodness, you love this argument. My job is not to judge the blue chipness of football players. We have a front office who makes those decisions. I'll repeat using slightly different words "if they deem a QB in any round to be of high potential they would be silly to pass him by."

The question was should we draft a QB with the ninth pick, the answer is no. Show me a team that spent a first round pick on a QB, then the next year spend another first round pick on a QB. I don't recall one. EJ had a QB rating of 77.7, more TDs than INTs and no career threatening injuries. Did he light it up, NOPE, but rookie QBs rarely if ever do, did he miss open WRs, YUP, once again common in rookie QBs. He did show good poise, and looked like he belonged,

even in the two minute drive against CAR. If I owned a team and the GM drafted a QB in the first round two years in a row , and the second one wasn't Andrew Luck, I'd fire him on the spot.

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS

No, I don't think they should. Maybe after round 5 you pick someone to push Thad harder but It's too early to give up on EJ. That’s essentially what you're doing by drafting a QB in the first round, telling EJ he's a few mistakes away from the bench.