Should Buffalo draft 1 of the 3 QBs at #9 if they're there?

And? I hate to say it but up until now I can't really say that we're a good team. The best that I can say objectively is that we 're a young team with some potential, and that's because I'm a diehard Bills' fan and I'm trying to be kind.

I'm kinda lost on this one. I guess the point is that bad teams don't draft QB's until they get the right guy.

The question was should we draft a QB with the ninth pick, the answer is no. Show me a team that spent a first round pick on a QB, then the next year spend another first round pick on a QB. I don't recall one. EJ had a QB rating of 77.7, more TDs than INTs and no career threatening injuries. Did he light it up, NOPE, but rookie QBs rarely if ever do, did he miss open WRs, YUP, once again common in rookie QBs. He did show good poise, and looked like he belonged,

even in the two minute drive against CAR. If I owned a team and the GM drafted a QB in the first round two years in a row , and the second one wasn't Andrew Luck, I'd fire him on the spot.

This has been hashed and rehashed, but...Cowboys took two in the same year using picks from different drafts. Aikmen and then Walsh in the supplemental. Another team drafted QB's in the first in the early 60's I believe. We could talk about the rookie pool and how a team isn't handcuffed by drafting QB's like they were in the past but I doubt that you want to hear about that.

It's never been done so it can never be done.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, too many other needs to waste on another 1st round QB. Just saw Mayocks assessment do Bridgewaters pro day, he wasn't impressed, and from what I saw, he didn't impress me either, kinda reminded me of Thad Lewis, but not as good as him...lol. Year two for EJ in this system is gonna be better, he just needs better protection and more weapons!

I'm not advocating for Bridgewater but check out what Gil Brandt had to say and you'll see that he puts a whole another spin on Bridgewater's Pro Day. I don't care who they take if any at all but if they do happen to like someone then I hope that they don't pass on him because of EJ or because they think that they are all set. I want insurance that this position is safe and solidified. I, like many , should expect the Bills to make sure beyond a doubt that we are. We as fans of this organization have deserve that expectancy, especially after all these years of ineptness. Think about it, the last time that we had a bonafide QB was Jim Kelly and we ended up going to 4 consecutive Super Bowls! Not the results that we wanted mind you but I think you can at least understand my concerns. If the Bills' brass have the opportunity to make this a successful position, regardless of who is manning the helm, then when they have the opportunity to insure it then they need to do it because we have earned that demand.

*Thank you this has been a recording.

Considering what the O line looks like so far...they had better draft one or two more this year. :lol:

Seriously, it would be foolish to draft another QB at this point simply because they don't know what they have in EJ just yet. No QB can develop enough in only 10 games. There are only so many reps / snaps in off season, pre season, and training camp that only one QB should be getting the bulk of the work with the 1st string.

Judging from Teddy Bridgewater no throwing at the combine, and now stinking it up in his pro day. I'd have to think that he will be there at the #9 pick.

I'm kinda lost on this one. I guess the point is that bad teams don't draft QB's until they get the right guy.

This has been hashed and rehashed, but...Cowboys took two in the same year using picks from different drafts. Aikmen and then Walsh in the supplemental. Another team drafted QB's in the first in the early 60's I believe. We could talk about the rookie pool and how a team isn't handcuffed by drafting QB's like they were in the past but I doubt that you want to hear about that.

It's never been done so it can never be done.

That's not exactly what I was saying. If those are the only examples why do you think that is ? Probably only the last 15 years or so was it monetarily unwise.

I'm not advocating for Bridgewater but check out what Gil Brandt had to say and you'll see that he puts a whole another spin on Bridgewater's Pro Day. I don't care who they take if any at all but if they do happen to like someone then I hope that they don't pass on him because of EJ or because they think that they are all set. I want insurance that this position is safe and solidified. I, like many , should expect the Bills to make sure beyond a doubt that we are. We as fans of this organization have deserve that expectancy, especially after all these years of ineptness. Think about it, the last time that we had a bonafide QB was Jim Kelly and we ended up going to 4 consecutive Super Bowls! Not the results that we wanted mind you but I think you can at least understand my concerns. If the Bills' brass have the opportunity to make this a successful position, regardless of who is manning the helm, then when they have the opportunity to insure it then they need to do it because we have earned that demand.

*Thank you this has been a recording.

I have no problem with them picking up Murray or Boyd in the 4th or 5th round, but the ninth pick no way.

I suppose it's easier to suppose rather than take what someone says at face value, but for the record what I've said in the past is that I am less than sold on Manuel. He has all the tangibles, size, leadership abilities etc. What he hasn't displayed are the intangibles, touch, vision, belief in his receivers, belief in his own ability to get the ball where it needs to be etc. If I were forced to put a % on the likelihood that I think he'll become an upper tier QB it would be around 30%. Injuries and very inconsistent play are the reason that I'm as skeptical as I am. I saw flashes, but, too much of what I'd say was doubt by Manuel in his own abilities. ...

I guess I was only 70% right when I said I had the feeling you thought EJ had peaked.

I don't do smilies, so just know I'm just messin' with ya.

GO BILLS!!!

The fact that people are willing to sit tight for 2-3 seasons boggles my mind. If it were any other position people would be clamoring, but QB? No! He needs time. He shouldn't share snaps. He must be treated as the starter. He must not be pushed.

Mind boggling.

It's not just "people" that say this, it's nearly every NFL talent evaluator or former FO person working in the media. I listen in Sirius NFL constantly and most analysts there share the feeling - QBs need time to develop.

EJ missed critical time in pre-season AND in the regular season, he needs a full off and regular season to see if he develops, IMO.

And the "good" news is, if he's really as bad as some want to believe, we'll be in the position to draft another top QB next year. I wouldn't be against that...

Someone above mentioned Mayocks commentary on Bridgewaters Pro Day, it sounded brutal. He said he's seen tons of Pro Days and this was awful - aiming the ball, not anticipating throws, missing guys 5 yards away, and that's in a controlled environment. If guys fall this year, it'll be because they aren't that good.

I think that it's more about EJ possibly being injury prone more than him lacking ability. It's a realistic concern and if he were to get injured again how would the fans feel about this? When I said that I wouldn't have no problem having Lewis starting I probably should have clarified that a bit more. I'm not stating Lewis as a starter but more of a relief QB in the event of an injury to EJ. Now Lewis might be worthy of being a starter but at this time I just don't know that to be completely accurate.

I think that it's more about EJ possibly being injury prone more than him lacking ability. It's a realistic concern and if he were to get injured again how would the fans feel about this? When I said that I wouldn't have no problem having Lewis starting I probably should have clarified that a bit more. I'm not stating Lewis as a starter but more of a relief QB in the event of an injury to EJ. Now Lewis might be worthy of being a starter but at this time I just don't know that to be completely accurate.

Give him a LG, RT, and teach him to slide, and his chances of getting injured go down significantly.One year makes you injury prone?If you get a couple colds in one year does that make you sickly?

I agree with Beerball wrt not passing on a guy they like.

I outlined the likely possibilities regarding EJ's trajectory in another thread a while back but I think it bears repeating here:

There's a few scenarios that can unfold during the year wrt to EJ:

1. He plays well, and we are reasonably confident barring some regression that the Bills have found their QB of the future.

2. He has another up and down year, and we can't say one way or the other whether or not he's the QB of the future.

3. He gets injured again, and we can't say one way or the other whether or not he's the QB of the future.

4. He sucks, and we are reasonably confident he isn't going to become the QB of the future.

Of course things might not be so cut and dry, but I think we can agree we should be able to more or less categorize whatever happens as one of those scenarios.

So, imagine if they do draft a QB that they like in the first round this year.

If scenario #1 happens, well, they "wasted" a 1st round pick, but at least they have their franchise QB and some decent trade bait.

If #2 happens, they can either give EJ another year, or have an open competition at QB with a guy they like. At least they have a Plan B in the wings if EJ doesn't progress.

If #3 happens, they can start the other QB and see what he's got while EJ gets healthy. If the other QB looks better than EJ, he can keep the job.

If #4 happens, they can start the other QB from the jump. This other QB will have had a year in the system and the Bills won't be forced to pick a QB high next year that they might not like as much as the guy that people are asking them to pass on this year.

Again, I'm not saying that they need to draft a QB this year, but I think it's a good idea, if there is a guy they like, since the jury is out on EJ.

I think it's short sighted to say they'd be wasting the pick for the season. If EJ winds up sucking (and I'm not saying he will, I'm optimistic about his development), then what good is having another player at another position? QBs win championships and when a team doesn't have one they shouldn't be dismissing opportunities to find one.

I'm not advocating drafting a QB every year until one has a phenomenal rookie season. I'm advocating not passing up drafting a QB that they would otherwise like just because "we think EJ can develop."

Furthermore, say that the Bills pass on a guy they like this year but find themselves in need of a QB next year. But what if there isn't a QB that they like in the draft? We can name names about who we expect to be there, but the Bills might not have a high enough draft pick, or some prospect breaks his back, or whatever. So then they're back where they started.

If I'm the Bills, I'd rather be safe than sorry. Passing on QBs because they think hope they got their guy might be the single most detrimental factor when looking at the lack of playoff appearances over the past decade.

Having Clowney or Mack or Watkins or your choice of the OTs is not going to get the team very far without a QB. Of course teams need blue chip talent in areas besides QB to win, but unless you're doing everything you can to get a top tier QB, your team is spinning its wheels. The Bills are in prime position to "burn" a pick on a QB. With a young core, if it turns out they're lacking a non-QB blue chipper, well, that's what free agency is for.

tl;dr Don't pass on a QB you like if you aren't 100% positive that you've got a bona fide franchise QB. The position is too important. It's far easier to fill other holes later in the draft or free agency.

Edited by uncle flap

I think it's a tough decision. I sort of feel you take a QB until you find 'the' guy. On the other hand, that limits the ability of guys who take longer to develop and takes away talent from elsewhere.

I think once you have the guy, you should take a QB every year in the 3rd/4th/5th so you have the 'next guy' to trade away for a pick or take over.

Give him a LG, RT, and teach him to slide, and his chances of getting injured go down significantly.One year makes you injury prone?If you get a couple colds in one year does that make you sickly?

To answer your question my response would be yes.

I would like to mention one thing that I did NOT like about Manuel last year. It was no secret to ANYONE, including him, how much this team, franchise and community needed a quality QB. We took him in the 1st rd, it compounds this point even more that we spent our best pick on him. Knowing this EJ HAS to make better decisions. What I'm referring to is when he got hurt in the Cleveland game. That was PURELY on him. The first down was more than secured, the game was being controlled and then he made one incredibly stupid and/or selfish move and that was to try and extend the play. It made me sick watching that play. Say what you want, he's a rookie, he needs to learn etc, etc. But let me ask you this, what if he didn't?? Nobody can say at this point if he has or hasn't. All I'm saying is that from what we have seen it's kind of nerve racking to hang our hat on what we have seen and know so far about EJ.

To answer your question my response would be yes.

I would like to mention one thing that I did NOT like about Manuel last year. It was no secret to ANYONE, including him, how much this team, franchise and community needed a quality QB. We took him in the 1st rd, it compounds this point even more that we spent our best pick on him. Knowing this EJ HAS to make better decisions. What I'm referring to is when he got hurt in the Cleveland game. That was PURELY on him. The first down was more than secured, the game was being controlled and then he made one incredibly stupid and/or selfish move and that was to try and extend the play. It made me sick watching that play. Say what you want, he's a rookie, he needs to learn etc, etc. But let me ask you this, what if he didn't?? Nobody can say at this point if he has or hasn't. All I'm saying is that from what we have seen it's kind of nerve racking to hang our hat on what we have seen and know so far about EJ.

First of all I seriously doubt it was a selfish play, learning play yes, selfish no. Hence my comment about sliding.I don't find it nerve racking at all, he's a rookie and we were told he was somewhat of a project so I wasn't expecting a ton anyways. In saying that I would expect this, the arrow has to start pointing upward.

If you run your organization like a going concern the answer is yes.

History says that a top QB is worth more than anything else......by a HUGE margin.

See the Broncos. Last year they lost their very highly drafted star LT (Ryan Clady) and their #2 overall superstar pass rusher(Von Miller) and went to the Super Bowl because of their QB.

I'm all for getting talents at premium positions like that with early picks but they are all wasted picks if you don't get a quarterback.

I will repeat what I have been saying here for years.......if the Bills had just used their first pick on a QB each year during this 14 year drought they would be better off.

The Bills haven't drafted badly in round one as much as they have drafted low impact positons.

It's a fact. Nate Clements had an excellent career. McGahee ran for nearly 10K yards in his career, can't say he was a bust. Lee Evans was an excellent big play man for several years. Non-bust. Marshawn Lynch is an All Pro. Donte Whitner has played in pro bowls. Spiller, Dareus and Gilmore haven't played to their press clippings but none are a bust. Leodis is even coming around. It's a myth that the Bills have drafted badly in round one, they have just aimed far too low.

If the Bills had taken the next available QB with their first pick in each draft they would have the likes of Brees, Rodgers, Flacco or Kaepernick. That's a lot of recent SB QB's right there. Not for nothing, but that is worth a lot more than Leodis, Spiller, Dareus, Gilmore and EJ........the only first rounders the Bills still have to show for those 14 years.

But we all know this years #9 pick is going to be the final piece of the puzzle. Guaranteed. :lol:

First round picks are important but if you aren't using them on QB's they are a whole lot less important.

If you run your organization like a going concern the answer is yes.

History says that a top QB is worth more than anything else......by a HUGE margin.

See the Broncos. Last year they lost their very highly drafted star LT (Ryan Clady) and their #2 overall superstar pass rusher(Von Miller) and went to the Super Bowl because of their QB.

I'm all for getting talents at premium positions like that with early picks but they are all wasted picks if you don't get a quarterback.

I will repeat what I have been saying here for years.......if the Bills had just used their first pick on a QB each year during this 14 year drought they would be better off.

The Bills haven't drafted badly in round one as much as they have drafted low impact positons.

It's a fact. Nate Clements had an excellent career. McGahee ran for nearly 10K yards in his career, can't say he was a bust. Lee Evans was an excellent big play man for several years. Non-bust. Marshawn Lynch is an All Pro. Donte Whitner has played in pro bowls. Spiller, Dareus and Gilmore haven't played to their press clippings but none are a bust. Leodis is even coming around. It's a myth that the Bills have drafted badly in round one, they have just aimed far too low.

If the Bills had taken the next available QB with their first pick in each draft they would have the likes of Brees, Rodgers, Flacco or Kaepernick. That's a lot of recent SB QB's right there. Not for nothing, but that is worth a lot more than Leodis, Spiller, Dareus, Gilmore and EJ........the only first rounders the Bills still have to show for those 14 years.

But we all know this years #9 pick is going to be the final piece of the puzzle. Guaranteed. :lol:

First round picks are important but if you aren't using them on QB's they are a whole lot less important.

Wow, eloquently stated! Nice response BADOLBEELZ!

No, too many other needs to waste on another 1st round QB. Just saw Mayocks assessment do Bridgewaters pro day, he wasn't impressed, and from what I saw, he didn't impress me either, kinda reminded me of Thad Lewis, but not as good as him...lol. Year two for EJ in this system is gonna be better, he just needs better protection and more weapons!

LOL. watch the utter mastery he has during actual football games

Wow, eloquently stated! Nice response BADOLBEELZ!

Thank you, it's easy to recite because I say it here numerous times every year.

I realize it's not going to happen. The Bills aren't only in the box they are dead in the middle of the box. They couldn't be more in the box.

What I like are these "nobody else has done it" takes. Besides the fact that it spawned the Cowboys dynasty that's true.

My new favorite is all the fired front office types...including Greg Gabriel...saying that coaches and GM's are getting fired because they are drafting QB's in the top 10.

That is a hilarious conclusion. The last 5 Bills head coaches have somehow managed to get fired without drafting a QB in the top 10 so I think the overall numbers might not be as overwhelmingly in support of that premise.

You can't stop change Mr. Gabriel. No QB = inconsistency = not for long.

If Johnny Football falls to he'd be really hard for me to pass up. Bring him and let him duke it out with EJ. May the best man win. Johnny Football may be a bust, but he also has the possibility of being very very good. And with EJ's propensity for injury last year anyway, it'd be good to have another good QB that could come in and win some games.

I would seriously pass on Borttles. I'm not super high on Bridgewater either.

Edited by reddogblitz