Should Buffalo draft 1 of the 3 QBs at #9 if they're there?

We still need to see our young QBs develop. If they don't pan out then the year to draft another QB will be 2016.

The Bills have a franchise DE, a very good LT and they invested a high first in Gilmore.

That's a whole lot of "premium" positions already addressed with premium picks and money.

No real good excuse to not use a top pick on another potential franchise QB and at least have them in the wings if EJ faceplants.

If you can't fill in the blanks at the other positions from rounds 2-7 and free agency then you simply can't win in this league.

A team with a high pick(or huge contract) at every key position (DE, LT, WR, CB) is a team that can't retain those players.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've changed my mind on this subject. "IF" Bortles is there at #9, then yeah! Should the Texans pass on him...then consider trading up with the Rams to draft him

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/is-qb-blake-bortles-too-cool-to-go-no--1-in-nfl-draft--215740086-nfl.html

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000335254/article/blake-bortles-met-with-4-teams-a-day-before-his-pro-day-workout

If Manziel is there, I say hell yeah. Manziel, just like Russell Wilson, would be clear cut first overall if he had 3 more inches. That's it. No debate. He would be.

Manziel is going to scare some GM's that he's too small, and someone is going to lose their job by not taking him. He's the kind of player that people kick themselves over not taking.

Graham over Wilson in the third? Imagine 10x that if we take some OT at #9 when Johnny's available.

Gotta love how some people same college success doesn't matter. Who's offensive records did Johnny break? Cam Newton? How's he doing? OROY, right? Playoff appearances with a bye?

That comment doesn't make sense about how not drafting a QB is putting all our eggs in one basket. Its actually just the opposite. This team has empty baskets at several other positions on this team and you want to add more QBs? Drafting more QB's would be putting all our eggs in that one basket rather than filling other baskets with those picks. And at this point, EJ has done enough to show he has potential and we need to allow him time to reach his potential and add pieces around him to do so.

Young QB's NEED reps...having a high draft pick rookie QB and EJ sharing snaps is not going to help either of their growth. EJ needs to be the man, take the lion share of the snaps, and be given every chance to succeed. Adding some high level draft pick who doesn't have any more upside than EJ has isn't going to help either of them...and mark my words, none of these QB's are any less risky than EJ, there are no Lucks in this draft.

And like I said before...QB's are available in every draft, every year. This isn't the only chance to get one. If EJ doesn't elevate his game this year, then we can look hard at one next year. And come next year, we hopefully have less holes because we filled some with quality draft picks this year in a deep draft at all the other positions.

PS: Bortles and Manziel are some of the riskiest QB prospects to be so over hyped I have seen in a while. I wouldn't take either in the top half of the first round, and quite frankly, Manziel is a 3rd QB prospect at best for me. Manziel should send 20% of his first signing bonus to Russel Wilson, because had it not been for him Manziel would not have a first round grade.

Giving one player all the reps is essentially putting all the teams' eggs in one basket. Whether its a requirement is up for debate. But we're living and dying by EJ moreso than any other player on the team.

I believe Johnny Football vastly outplayed EJ in college against the same talent? EJ might be beating him in the "looks the part" aspect, but the numbers tell a different story.

Edited by FireChan

No, Bills will pick an OT. We invested in our franchise QB last year and have too many other needs. Our coach is a former OL and thankfully understands the unglamorous yet critical role the line plays in the game of football. TE and LB have been addressed. OG too. I could see a mid to late round QB if someone we really like falls, otherwise no QB. WR is the only other possibility at #9.

If EJ was/is such a hot prospect then why did we trade BACK to draft him??? Didn't that leave the door open for any of the other teams to trade up in front of us? Let's keep this in perspective, EJ was never viewed as a big time prospect. Nice would be a kind adjective to use for describing what we and other potential suitors perceived him as. Great kid though, I'm proud that he's associated with our franchise, there's no worries there about him or his character.

I loved Manziel as a college QB. The kid has some genuine magic too him. The biggest problem that I see for him is how will he be able to see down field over his OL. Behind the Bills line I would have to think that his filed vision in the pocket would be seriously affected. Batted passes are a problem for even the tallest QB at times. Simple containment strategies could be enough to minimize his talents. We'll see. I hope he proves his critics wrong as long as it's not against the Bills.

For the first time in forever, there actually aren't any dire needs on this team. We don't have pro bowlers everywhere, but all in all this is a solid team.

The only places we suck at are qb and coach. Unfortunately, those are both incredibly vital. Since we can't draft a new coach, the bills should seriously consider an upgrade at qb without worrying about ej's feelings.

And EJ isn't being handed anything. All he is is #1 on the depth chart. It's his job to lose but if he doesn't outright win it, there's no place to hide. The pressure is all on him. It'll be interesting to see how he responds to the opportunity.

If they don't bring in any competition the Bills are by default absolutely handing the job to Manuel. Thad Lewis is no NFL starter by any stretch.

If Marrone is 100% sure that Manuel is the guy then by all means hand him the job. But if he is not they sure better bring someone in either via the draft or free agency who can challenge for the job.

If they don't bring in any competition the Bills are by default absolutely handing the job to Manuel. Thad Lewis is no NFL starter by any stretch.

If Marrone is 100% sure that Manuel is the guy then by all means hand him the job. But if he is not they sure better bring someone in either via the draft or free agency who can challenge for the job.

He still has to earn the position. He still has to establish and maintain credibility within that locker room by proving, like he did last year, he is the best QB on the squad. He still has to compete and make every rep count. The idea that EJ Manuel won't have to compete for his job is just not true.

GO BILLS!!!

If Manziel is there, I say hell yeah. Manziel, just like Russell Wilson, would be clear cut first overall if he had 3 more inches. That's it. No debate. He would be.

Manziel is going to scare some GM's that he's too small, and someone is going to lose their job by not taking him. He's the kind of player that people kick themselves over not taking.

Graham over Wilson in the third? Imagine 10x that if we take some OT at #9 when Johnny's available.

Gotta love how some people same college success doesn't matter. Who's offensive records did Johnny break? Cam Newton? How's he doing? OROY, right? Playoff appearances with a bye?

Giving one player all the reps is essentially putting all the teams' eggs in one basket. Whether its a requirement is up for debate. But we're living and dying by EJ moreso than any other player on the team.

I believe Johnny Football vastly outplayed EJ in college against the same talent? EJ might be beating him in the "looks the part" aspect, but the numbers tell a different story.

I'm with Alpha on this one. While I agree that the QB is important, I also recognize other positions as very important as well. Looking back on the dramatic transformation the defense went through last year, I can see the Bills continuing their trend of addressing areas of weakness other than QB simply because they still haven't determined that QB is a weakness. There are however some sure fire areas that need to be upgraded. They have to focus on them and not give up quality picks just to have multiple options at QB.

He still has to earn the position. He still has to establish and maintain credibility within that locker room by proving, like he did last year, he is the best QB on the squad. He still has to compete and make every rep count. The idea that EJ Manuel won't have to compete for his job is just not true.

GO BILLS!!!

nonsense

if EJ's only competition is Thad Lewis, Jeff Tuel and Dennis Dixon

it won't matter if they ALL look better in preseason than EJ......

EJ will be your regular season Game 1 starter. he has already been assured.

Buffalo Bills coach Doug Marrone informed quarterback EJ Manuel that he will remain the starter next season despite lingering questions about the rookie's durability and uneven development.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10216366/ej-manuel-told-buffalo-bills-coach-doug-marrone-be-starting-qb-next-season

nonsense

if EJ's only competition is Thad Lewis, Jeff Tuel and Dennis Dixon

it won't matter if they ALL look better in preseason than EJ......

EJ will be your regular season Game 1 starter. he has already been assured.

Buffalo Bills coach Doug Marrone informed quarterback EJ Manuel that he will remain the starter next season despite lingering questions about the rookie's durability and uneven development.

http://espn.go.com/n...-qb-next-season

No, it's not nonsense at all.

All Marrone did was make him #1 on the depth chart to start. And all that does is make it EJ's job to lose. And he will lose it if he doesn't prove he deserves it. Contrary to some opinions around here, Marrone isn't an idiot who readily dismisses the value of a QB's credibility in the locker room. Marrone and EJ both will lose that locker room if EJ doesn't prove himself at the position.

Everybody knows EJ didn't show enough to warrant anything being handed to him. What's nonsense is getting hung up on the depth chart for the first OTA.

GO BILLS!!!

I would think not and I wouldn't want them too but should EJ just be handed the job or would competition to be the starter bring out the best in him? Me personally, I have no problem with Thad Lewis starting if EJ were to go down but drafting another 1st rd QB definitely sends a message. I'm just not sure if it would be counterproductive or be the greatest motivator. The psyche is a fragile thing and this would be walking a very thin line but I 'm curious what the potential pros and cons would be.

In any event having EJ, Lewis and either Manziel, Bortles or Bridgewater as our QB stable would not be hateful. Kick Tuel to the PS if need be and one of these players could be a lottery ticket down the road.

Speculating on this hypothetical scenario I would think that out of the 3 Bortles would be the least sensible for us based on what our apparent skill sets seem to be for what we are looking for in a QB. Manziel and Bridgewater are mobile QBs as in Lewis and Manuel. If we did go after something this then I would wonder if Spiller could be expendable as some other poster has questioned. My here's a lot of moving parts here and I'm quite confident that this will all never happen but it is the off season and hopefully this proposes some interesting possibilities .

Not unless they are better than Manuel. Otherwise I think you're wasting a pick.

take one if you believe in him or trade up for extra picks, be okay witheither. we do have holes and qb is one at this point. I don't care about EJs ego much and think it should light a fire. If it doesn't, well one could be trade bait in coming years or an okay back up.

trading down has last years obvious benifits obviuosly.

Edited by bowery4

I'm with Alpha on this one. While I agree that the QB is important, I also recognize other positions as very important as well. Looking back on the dramatic transformation the defense went through last year, I can see the Bills continuing their trend of addressing areas of weakness other than QB simply because they still haven't determined that QB is a weakness. There are however some sure fire areas that need to be upgraded. They have to focus on them and not give up quality picks just to have multiple options at QB.

How many positions do we need to have first and second round picks for? The entire O-line? Both safeties? The entire D-line? All of the LB's? Both CB's? Starting HB?

We have a first or second round pick starting at every single corp. Some with multiple first or second rounders. At some point, the roster reaches a point where, without a QB, you can't improve.

You don't make picks to send messages, you make picks to improve your team.

The fact that people are willing to sit tight for 2-3 seasons boggles my mind. If it were any other position people would be clamoring, but QB? No! He needs time. He shouldn't share snaps. He must be treated as the starter. He must not be pushed.

Mind boggling.

I agree with you.

Qb is one of our top 3 weaknesses. We have a playoff caliber roster. Qb is what is holding us back. If the scouts think someone will be good or great take him. Who cares if we took one last year. Its not your money and if ej has a problem with it he should work his ass off to make sure hes the starter and force the other guy to the bench or traded.