Byrd is a Saint

Call me a homer if you must, but I am glad the Bills didn't offer this kind of money to Byrd. The Bills, as a franchise, (like most every franchise) have determined that spending 9 million a year on a safety is foolish... it has negative repercussions for the future of your salary structure.

Amen! I would have liked TJ Ward for $5.5M though.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are joking, right? Do we really need to go thru the list? Should we start with the All Pros? Peters, Lynch, Byrd. How about Pat Williams, Antoine Winfield, Nate Clements, Poz, Greer.........man the list goes on. You can't have that short of a memory. :doh:

Buddy Nix and Whaley are responsible for Lynch, Clements, Greer etc? If you read my post again you'll see that I said recently. Blaming the current men in charge is like giving Barry Switzerl credit for winning a Super Bowl.

Buddy Nix and Whaley are responsible for Lynch, Clements, Greer etc? If you read my post again you'll see that I said recently. Blaming the current men in charge is like giving Barry Switzerl credit for winning a Super Bowl.

Say what you will, but Barry Switzer does have one thing no Buffalo Bills coach has ever won. Namely, a Super Bowl ring.

Listen, you make perfect sense. It is just that people will paraphrase it to fit their own narrative instead of addressing the specifics of your premise. You are obviously able to evaluate the whole situation with emotional detachment. Some people aren't their yet. Laughing gas gets me through these sorts of things. :beer:

Yeah bro, seriously. It's like a bunch of butt hurt 15 year olds who can't fathom reality. Instead they come up with invisable trades and blame people that have nothing to do with current operations. It's seriously like an asylum here at times. Thank you for being pragmatic. I'm guessing many of the sky is falling crew will be googling that word any minute now.

Say what you will, but Barry Switzer does have one thing no Buffalo Bills coach has ever won. Namely, a Super Bowl ring.

Umm totally not the point I was making, but okay. So does Rob Johnson. Thanks anyways though Barry.

Edited by Hazed and Amuzed

and here's Timmmmmmmmmaaaayyy

Tim Graham@ByTimGraham 2m

Source tells me Bills' best offer to Jairus Byrd was a yearly average of about $7.5 million.

That's higher than I thought the offer was in 2013 but lower than I expected for this years.

If the 3 year 30 was accurate, that'd mean 6 years at 45 was the full term probably (if remotely accurate - who knows with tim)? So 3 for 30 followed by a 3 year 15m deal for ages 30-33

Edited by NoSaint

Call me a homer if you must, but I am glad the Bills didn't offer this kind of money to Byrd. The Bills, as a franchise, (like most every franchise) have determined that spending 9 million a year on a safety is foolish... it has negative repercussions for the future of your salary structure.

What exactly do you think they offered him? $8.9M? They negotiated the deal that he signed for New Orleans and you are thinking they determined he wasn't worth that kind of money? They just gave a first year starting safety a $6.5M per extension. They are paying a DE $18M this year. I can understand people being in denial about this matter.......but they had the right to franchise tag him for just over $8M for one year. No other significant free agents to take care of. A whole lot of cap room. It was a dumb move by the Bills not utilizing that franchise tag again. Utterly stupid. I don't care if Duke F'ing Williams turns into the next Kam Chancellor.....you had an All Pro in hand and only a single season of committment was required and now he is gone for nothing. Did I mention how stupid that was? :lol:

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

The Bills....LOL.

They negotiated Byrd's deal for the Saints......told him it was still on the table in Buffalo.......and then didn't use the franchise tag.

How did that all help the mood of your negotiations, Doug? :lol: Did they even call back with another counter offer? Thought not.

Textbook example of how to lose a bid.

Now they are replacing a 3x all pro with.......what exactly?

Luckily, fortune favors the passive. :thumbsup:

Being committed to winning includes being smarter than that.

This

Edited by SmokinES3

It wasn't too long ago they were the Aints. Obviously, EJ probably won't be Brees like, but SD gave up Brees too early and now NO is one of the top franchises in the NFL.

Give credit to Peyton. He built that team and gave a lifeline to Brees. Brees was pretty average in his 4 seasons with San Diego.

I guess we will never know if Byrd would have stayed for more money if Tim Graham's tweet is correct. If true, can't blame him for truning it down and getting more money from New Orleans, a team with a better QB and a good shot to make the playoffs again.

This franchise continues to amaze. Remember a few years ago when Buddy said the goal was to draft guys, develop them, and keep them? So we let Byrd and Levitre walk, but at least we signed ourselves a kicker today.

You can't sign all of them...We did re-sign Stevie, McKelvin, Wood, Aaron Williams, Kyle Williams. I am sure the Bills will be able to re-sign Dareus, Cordy, Spiller, Gilmore in the upcoming 2-3 years.

Personally, I don't understand the bitterness towards the guy. Great player that wanted to be paid like it. Would I have rather he stayed? Of course...I'm a diehard...I'd be crazy not to want him on the team. But outside of the Bills, I'm a fan of good football. I can see him succeeding on that team and in that defense. As long as the Saints aren't playing Buffalo, I'm going to enjoy watching it.

You can't sign all of them...We did re-sign Stevie, McKelvin, Wood, Aaron Williams, Kyle Williams. I am sure the Bills will be able to re-sign Dareus, Cordy, Spiller, Gilmore in the upcoming 2-3 years.

You do realize they had 20M+ in cap space this season, right? And that's after keeping Aaron Williams.