Byrd is a Saint

Actually, NE & Pittsburgh let a lot of guys walk. They both got Hall of Fame Qbs though.

Aaaaannnd......nail meet head.

The only thing that really matters for buffalo and any other team is the QB position. Once you have that locked down, then players like Byrd matter. There are two classes in the NFL, teams with a good QB and teams without one. It's really that simple.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Btw, the title to this thread should be changed. It should read,

Byrd is a .....

Fill in any adjective you like. I got a couple of choice ones that I could use. Also, I know consider Byrd to be in the same company as Jason Peters. Before people keep on congratulating him try and remember how he conducted himself last year. Held out to the very last moment, hid behind an injury all the while he was getting paid millions by the Bills as he was missing games and also acting like a pouty little B word in interviews until he started having success in our defense. He's selfish and he's greedy.

More than fill the void, they continue a pattern of letting assets leave without getting anything in return. That's bad business. It's bad football. It's bad team building.

But it's great for the bottom line.

They've also re-signed their starting center to a pretty top-shelf contract, have picked up Mario Williams (whom the Texans let go without getting anything in return), re-signed Kyle Williams, re-signed Aaron Williams, re-signed Fred Jackson, re-signed Leodis McKelvin, etc. Most teams lose somebody. It's what being a free agent is about. You determine your value on the market. I am comfortable with the Bills not paying Byrd $28M guaranteed -- again, that's more than Mario was guaranteed. By a good deal.

You put a value on your assets and you let them go if you can't match up on it.

The problem is not letting these guys go -- it's letting them go without adequately replacing them.

Name NE's starting safeties the past ten years. Can you, without looking them up? I can't.

When you have the tag and are willing to pay the guy more than the tag amount.... It's a bit odd they wouldn't actually tag him but.... Oh well....

I don't find it odd at all, it's actually a mature way to do business against a player and agent who have shown that they WILL be immature when push comes to shove. If the Bills tag Byrd and pay him 8-9 mil for him to play half the season then it's just bad business. I own 2 businesses myself and I'll be damned if I'm paying a premium salary to an employee who not only doesn't want to work for me but has also shown that they will give me a half ass effort by missing work for Hal the year. I for the life I me don't see how anyone can say different. If I'm Whaley I let him walk knowing what I've learned. Byrd and Parker want to play games, go let them play games with someone else. Why give the guy that much money when he's made it clear that money isn't the issue, that the real issue is he doesn't want to play for Buffalo.

The way I see it is that we paid peanuts for a FS who was a 3 time all pro. Byrd got beat by Buffalo, not the other way around. Let him go cash in and beat the Saints now, Buffalo got theirs.

They've also re-signed their starting center to a pretty top-shelf contract, have picked up Mario Williams (whom the Texans let go without getting anything in return), re-signed Kyle Williams, re-signed Aaron Williams, re-signed Fred Jackson, re-signed Leodis McKelvin, etc. Most teams lose somebody. It's what being a free agent is about. You determine your value on the market. I am comfortable with the Bills not paying Byrd $28M guaranteed -- again, that's more than Mario was guaranteed. By a good deal.

You put a value on your assets and you let them go if you can't match up on it.

The problem is not letting these guys go -- it's letting them go without adequately replacing them.

Name NE's starting safeties the past ten years. Can you, without looking them up? I can't.

Exactly.

I don't find it odd at all, it's actually a mature way to do business against a player and agent who have shown that they WILL be immature when push comes to shove. If the Bills tag Byrd and pay him 8-9 mil for him to play half the season then it's just bad business. I own 2 businesses myself and I'll be damned if I'm paying a premium salary to an employee who not only doesn't want to work for me but has also shown that they will give me a half ass effort by missing work for Hal the year. I for the life I me don't see how anyone can say different. If I'm Whaley I let him walk knowing what I've learned. Byrd and Parker want to play games, go let them play games with someone else. Why give the guy that much money when he's made it clear that money isn't the issue, that the real issue is he doesn't want to play for Buffalo.

The way I see it is that we paid peanuts for a FS who was a 3 time all pro. Byrd got beat by Buffalo, not the other way around. Let him go cash in and beat the Saints now, Buffalo got theirs.

haha they sure showed Parker and Byrd, those masterminds at TBD sure won this battle.

Who did they actually purge on defense that they will miss from last years team? Vilma played in one game and made one tackle. Will Smith tore his ACL in August and Jabari Greer started 10 games before breaking his leg.

On offense they still have Colston and Stills who they drafted last year and played very well for a rookie. Mark Ingram looked pretty good at RB at the end of the year and the rookie RB whose name escapes me

I don't think the Saints are in as bad a shape as you think

You might be right. I think that other RB is that Robinson. Colton is kinda washed up, but maybe they add a 1st round receiver. I Have a feeling that they think they are great with graham and can just use complimentary skill players around him.

Btw, the title to this thread should be changed. It should read,

Byrd is a .....

Fill in any adjective you like. I got a couple of choice ones that I could use. Also, I know consider Byrd to be in the same company as Jason Peters. Before people keep on congratulating him try and remember how he conducted himself last year. Held out to the very last moment, hid behind an injury all the while he was getting paid millions by the Bills as he was missing games and also acting like a pouty little B word in interviews until he started having success in our defense. He's selfish and he's greedy.

Tweet from Thurman yesterday: @thurmanthomas: I held out 1 year, and was traded 3x's called selfish, greedy, not a team guy, not a leader, & other things.Don't believe everything u hear

So we think highly enough of his ability and character to give him a commitment of 30m over 3 years with no fear he'd coast but think he's too immature to handle the tag

Tweet from Thurman yesterday: @thurmanthomas: I held out 1 year, and was traded 3x's called selfish, greedy, not a team guy, not a leader, & other things.Don't believe everything u hear

Fans will turn on you about a hundred times more quickly than they grow to love you, that's for sure. It's a basic fact of sports for just about every player who isn't Derek Jeter.

Actually, I look at it differently, with all due respect of course. I think it's the "homers" who are taking your stance because it's letting the front office completely off the hook. "Someone who made it clear that they didn't want to sign" -- do you dismiss the power of personality completely? It's Whaley and Brandon's job to sell the team, sell the franchise to the players, and, if it becomes clear that nothing can be done, you work to find other options and work with Byrd to get best for both parties. If that fails, then you protect your most prized asset and your leverage.

Sure, Byrd probably had no desire to stay. That's fair. But that doesn't excuse the front office for letting an asset walk away without getting anything in return. If it happened once or twice that would be one thing, but this is a constant theme this time of year. Only a homer would deny it.

Sorry but I think you're wrong. I keep seeing people saying that the Bills let an asset walk without getting anything in return, what exactly does that mean? That there was a trade on the table? If so, who was it? What we're they offering? I see that Byrd was such a value commodity that teams were out bidding eachother for his services right? Nope teams dropped like flys according to reports when they saw his price tag. The FO didn't want to pay Levitrs what he thought he wa worth last year, and guess what.... They were right in doing so as Levitre is currently overpaid. Where they went wrong is not replacing him. I really wanted Byrd to stay but the guy didn't want to be here, why act like a heartbroken girlfriend and tag him anyways? Speaking of core players only - In the last few years the Bills have resigned:

SH13

Kyle Williams

Aaron Williams

McKelvin

Fred Jackson

Eric Wood

And let walk:

Byrd

Levitre

How is letting Byrd walk a "common theme"

Per Ian rapoport

6years 54 million 28 guaranteed

The Bills....LOL.

They negotiated Byrd's deal for the Saints......told him it was still on the table in Buffalo.......and then didn't use the franchise tag.

How did that all help the mood of your negotiations, Doug? :lol: Did they even call back with another counter offer? Thought not.

Textbook example of how to lose a bid.

Now they are replacing a 3x all pro with.......what exactly?

Luckily, fortune favors the passive. :thumbsup:

Being committed to winning includes being smarter than that.

I am crushed because I still was holding out hope he would be back, but I am glad it is over so we can move on. I think it turned out to be a win-win. I didn't want to lose him, but I think the Bills can apply that huge money to the offense and ILB. This will make the Bills more of a playoff contender than Byrd, as he was here for 5 years and it never happened. He may not be replaced with the same caliber of player, but from what I have read about Schwartz's D it doesn't need a single high safety, which is Byrd's calling card, and I think we will be OK there. We will be a overall better team with the money to spend in other areas of need. I don't know what they will do with it, obviously, but all I know is we stand today with some very good young FAs still out there who could make immediate impact.

I think this deal has been done for awhile. Parker knew the Saints were going to bring this to the table and wanted him, which is why they didn't take the Bills offer, Byrd told ESPN the Saints had the best fans, and he was on a plane to sign the papers a few hrs into FA. There weren't a lot of other suitors for Byrd because they weren't willing to pay what Parker likely told him the Saints were offering. Whaley and Byrd both left the door open in case it didn't work out, I think Byrd would have been back.

It's fine....we won't play them, I hope he does well. As far as getting nothing in return, I understand being upset, but isn't that going on with all of the FAs today who switched teams?

Sorry but I think you're wrong. I keep seeing people saying that the Bills let an asset walk without getting anything in return, what exactly does that mean? That there was a trade on the table? If so, who was it? What we're they offering? I see that Byrd was such a value commodity that teams were out bidding eachother for his services right? Nope teams dropped like flys according to reports when they saw his price tag. The FO didn't want to pay Levitrs what he thought he wa worth last year, and guess what.... They were right in doing so as Levitre is currently overpaid. Where they went wrong is not replacing him. I really wanted Byrd to stay but the guy didn't want to be here, why act like a heartbroken girlfriend and tag him anyways? Speaking of core players only - In the last few years the Bills have resigned:

SH13

Kyle Williams

Aaron Williams

McKelvin

Fred Jackson

Eric Wood

And let walk:

Byrd

Levitre

Listen, you make perfect sense. It is just that people will paraphrase it to fit their own narrative instead of addressing the specifics of your premise. You are obviously able to evaluate the whole situation with emotional detachment. Some people aren't their yet. Laughing gas gets me through these sorts of things. :beer:

SH13

Kyle Williams

Aaron Williams

McKelvin

Fred Jackson

Eric Wood

And let walk:

Byrd

Levitre

You are joking, right? Do we really need to go thru the list? Should we start with the All Pros? Peters, Lynch, Byrd. How about Pat Williams, Antoine Winfield, Nate Clements, Poz, Greer.........man the list goes on. You can't have that short of a memory. :doh:

Call me a homer if you must, but I am glad the Bills didn't offer this kind of money to Byrd. The Bills, as a franchise, (like most every franchise) have determined that spending 9 million a year on a safety is foolish... it has negative repercussions for the future of your salary structure.

So we think highly enough of his ability and character to give him a commitment of 30m over 3 years with no fear he'd coast but think he's too immature to handle the tag

Um yeah. Did you not see what he did last year? How he behaved when he was tagged? The guy wanted guaranteed money and he wanted it from another team. I'm confused, isn't it obvious?

When we tagged him he threw a fit.

When we offered him mega bucks he turned it down.

Seems obvious to me he doesn't want to play for the Bills. Maybe I'm missing something.

Tagging him again seems pretty futile if he doesn't want to be here and unless I'm missing something he doesn't want to be here.

Again why pay someone a premium to do a job for you when they've proven to you that they don't want to work for you? If you do it KNOWING he's going to hold out again and get "injured" again then you're a poor business man and you're spending money out of ignorance or spite.