Byrd is a Saint

Whaley took the easy way out and in doing so sent the wrong message to the locker room. If you're worried about antagonizing Byrd then you work with Byrd to find the best outcome. You don't just tag him and say "suck it! you're mine!" you use the tag with the understanding that you're going to deal him by the draft one of the teams Parker and Byrd agree to.

That's not rocket science. That's called being a GM. But since this is the Bills and they, despite the claims to the contrary the past two years, are still the Bills.

But the problem is that that best outcome (for the Bills) depends on Byrd signing the franchise tender. He was going to refuse to do that until God knows when, maybe week 6, maybe never. He holds the cards at that point, and is untradeable. The tag is a tool for teams but it doesn't make players automatically compliant. It gives them outs, too, if they want to play hardball.

The contract that Byrd just signed is proof that he was right. He was worth more on the open market - and I am sure the Saints felt they would roll the dice and give him the best possible offer, instead of taking him on with a franchise tag hanging over him, and hoping to work out a deal with exclusive rights where the Bills could not.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eek.

It's not to be discounted that there have been at least three separate regimes during that time - with a constantly churning set of defensive strategies - but agreed, it's a pretty piss-poor return.

Here's hoping that more stability means more good players stay.

That's definitely part of the story.

Really, hitting on 3 out of 4 should be something we celebrate but we missed badly on what should've been the obvious/easiest, traded an all pro left tackle for another, and two were top signings for other teams.... Mix in that Parker's so tied into the group, Russ Brandon the GM....

Going further 2009 really was THE season to explain the last decade. Jauron fired mid year just a year after his extension, the mckelvin return debacle week 1 vs the pats. Cutting walker the week before the season and van pelt (with hacket on the offensive staff) going no huddle. JP losman winning the ufl championship.

If you ever want to explain the last decade to a fan of another team just track down the 2009 sports illustrated 30 min recap video.

@ByTimGraham

I'm told Jairus Byrd's signing bonus is $11 million.

Would count only 2.2m this year and I'm guessing a very low salary in year 1.

Being a Bills fan living about 40 mins from new orleans this SICKENS me. Seems like the saints have a farm system for their secondary-The Buffalo Bills. Jabari Greer and now Byrd. I don't like the saints because when i first moved here no one gave a rats ass about them. Then they win the SB and their are saints flags and jerseys in front yard and home. Hell my sons Catholic school even lets him wear a saints jersey every friday during the season. That started after they won. I think the saints window is closing and brees only has a few years left. Hope he fails miserably.

Marrone and the Payton have ties...i cannot for the LIFE of me see why the bills dint tag him and trade him to new orleans....

Edited by Pills -N- Bills

Good teams figure out how to sign their good players. The Bills have mastered the art of drafting for the same position year after year after year. This team continues to be irrelevant. March on to mediocrity Buffalo, maybe by 2020 we will get that far.

I partially agree with you.

Good teams figure out how to sign their players to reasonable contracts BEFORE they peak in value. By the time Levitre was a FA….by the time Byrd is a FA, it's too late. His cost is way more than his value. Either one.

But the problem is that that best outcome (for the Bills) depends on Byrd signing the franchise tender. He was going to refuse to do that until God knows when, maybe week 6, maybe never. He holds the cards at that point, and is untradeable. The tag is a tool for teams but it doesn't make players automatically compliant. It gives them outs, too, if they want to play hardball.

The contract that Byrd just signed is proof that he was right. He was worth more on the open market - and I am sure the Saints felt they would roll the dice and give him the best possible offer, instead of taking him on with a franchise tag hanging over him, and hoping to work out a deal with exclusive rights where the Bills could not.

You (or more accurately, Whaley/Brandon) think Byrd would have refused to sign the tender -- I don't buy that. He has shown no signs of being anything other than a team player despite the hype around here. And, as the son of an NFLer, he knows how the game is played. A competent front office could have made the case -- or at least would have tried. Worst case scenario is you tag him again and he eats half the year. That's going to hurt Byrd more than the Bills -- and he knows it. So does Parker.

This is a nickle and dime store that's trying compete with giant corporations. It will never work unless they get serious about building a team.

Who cares about the Saints? It's the Bills that look like fools right now. The Jags turned Blaine Gabbert into a 6th round pick, meanwhile the Bills let a 3 time pro-bowl asset walk out the door to a title contender without getting anything in return. The Bills lost today, and loudly.

The Saints are a joke (ask Seattle) and moves like this are desperate moves that will more likely bring them down than prop them up.

The Saints are a joke (ask Seattle) and moves like this are desperate moves that will more likely bring them down than prop them up.

Again I ask, who cares about the Saints' side of things? I am talking about the Bills who today let the most valuable asset on their roster this off season leave without getting anything in return. That's a failure regardless of whether or not Byrd helps the Saints or hurts them.

We lost an asset. Worse, we let one walk away for nothing when there are systems in place to prevent such a thing.

The Saints are far from a joke. How long they'll stay near the top we don't know, but I'd sure rather be in their shoes.

Since 2006, they've averaged 10 wins a year, been to the playoffs 5 times and won a SB. Hard to see how that's a joke.

Edited by BillsVet

I wish Byrd the best and good for the Saints. I still feel the Bills should have used the franchise tag on Byrd, but no point complaining about it now. It is amazing how good teams find ways of acquiring talent. Like San Fran trading for Bolden last year for next to nothing. Now the Saints finding a way to sign Byrd. I wish the Bills were making similar moves.

Pretty sure the brothers had something to do with that trade. It was a 6th round pic for Boldin. I really dont think Boldin would play for B-lo this late in his career. Buffalo probably wishes they could have made that move, but it takes two to tango!

Pretty sure the brothers had something to do with that trade. It was a 6th round pic for Boldin. I really dont think Boldin would play for B-lo this late in his career. Buffalo probably wishes they could have made that move, but it takes two to tango!

Ravens were going to release Boldin if they didn't cut him so the bros made a bro deal.

The Bills lost a good player no matter how you try to justify it with the "he's wasn't worth the money" logic. Like Antoine Winfield before him, in the end he simply wanted to play for an organization that has a chance to win. As of now the Bills are a worse football team than they were yesterday.

Edited by DDD

hate to say I told you so to the kool-aid drinkers

The Bills lost a good player no matter how you try to justify it with the "he's wasn't worth the money" logic. Like Antoine Winfield before him, in the end he simply wanted to play for an organization that has a chance to win. As of now the Bills are a worse football team than they were yesterday.

:thumbsup: .... :bag: