Byrd is a Saint

Personally, I don't understand the bitterness towards the guy. Great player that wanted to be paid like it. Would I have rather he stayed? Of course...I'm a diehard...I'd be crazy not to want him on the team. But outside of the Bills, I'm a fan of good football. I can see him succeeding on that team and in that defense. As long as the Saints aren't playing Buffalo, I'm going to enjoy watching it.

Playing with a good safety next to him, pressure up front, and an offense that gets leads should be pretty safe for him to succeed. I'd be surprised if he flops.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Playing with a good safety next to him, pressure up front, and an offense that gets leads should be pretty safe for him to succeed. I'd be surprised if he flops.

Vaccaro and Byrd will be a pretty damn dynamic safety duo for the Saints with Rob Ryan running the defense.

Personally, I don't understand the bitterness towards the guy. Great player that wanted to be paid like it. Would I have rather he stayed? Of course...I'm a diehard...I'd be crazy not to want him on the team. But outside of the Bills, I'm a fan of good football. I can see him succeeding on that team and in that defense. As long as the Saints aren't playing Buffalo, I'm going to enjoy watching it.

Yeah........but the Bills held his rights and they let him walk. It's NICE that the Bills set him free.....and not surprisingly they finish dead last in the AFC East ever year.

The only thing that is going to make players want to be in Buffalo as opposed to places where the team wins......IS WINNING! It's easier to win with good players.

I agree though......I love watching playoff football and if the Saints get back there they will be more fun to watch.

Estro said it well.......Byrd is a turnover machine and Brees will turn those turnovers into touchdowns. Great fit for the Saints.

Suck my fat one, you cheap dime store hood.

Wow, nice job you racist.

This jerk stole millions of dollars from our team last year, faked a foot injury, and then, what, turned into a hero? He made the Pro Bowl? Big deal.

He played with PF in 2012 with IMO the hopes of signing a big deal as his reward, then he was nickled and dimed by the Bills.

I hope that the team uses this as motivation, being totally insulted by this a-hole. He was offered more by the Bills. He decided he has a better chance to win in NO.

He definitely has a better chance to win in NO since the Bills last made the playoffs when Byrd was 12.

Would you work in a dangerous job for less than your market value? He may have traded $$ for SB which is fine but the Bills offer may have been less.

They've also re-signed their starting center to a pretty top-shelf contract, have picked up Mario Williams (whom the Texans let go without getting anything in return), re-signed Kyle Williams, re-signed Aaron Williams, re-signed Fred Jackson, re-signed Leodis McKelvin, etc. Most teams lose somebody. It's what being a free agent is about. You determine your value on the market. I am comfortable with the Bills not paying Byrd $28M guaranteed -- again, that's more than Mario was guaranteed. By a good deal.

You put a value on your assets and you let them go if you can't match up on it.

The problem is not letting these guys go -- it's letting them go without adequately replacing them.

Name NE's starting safeties the past ten years. Can you, without looking them up? I can't.

I understand you cannot keep everyone. But you cannot let your best assets leave for nothing when there are systems in place to prevent such a thing from happening. 8.5 is all it would have cost to keep him for a year and work out a team to deal him for. He was the best FA available in the entire league -- he wasn't just a hometown guy that I wish would have stayed. He had VALUE and they let him leave for nothing.

That's nothing but a big bag of failure.

I understand you cannot keep everyone. But you cannot let your best assets leave for nothing when there are systems in place to prevent such a thing from happening. 8.5 is all it would have cost to keep him for a year and work out a team to deal him for. He was the best FA available in the entire league -- he wasn't just a hometown guy that I wish would have stayed. He had VALUE and they let him leave for nothing.

That's nothing but a big bag of failure.

I don't disagree, but I still think the time to have done something about that was last year. He did hurt the Bills' ability to do that with the PF issue - legit or otherwise. I tend to think it was legit but also a reason to not rush back into action.

I don't disagree, but I still think the time to have done something about that was last year. He did hurt the Bills' ability to do that with the PF issue - legit or otherwise. I tend to think it was legit but also a reason to not rush back into action.

I agree with you the time to move was last year. You're right.

Still doesn't mean they shouldn't have eaten another year if it meant getting something for their original investment in the guy.

I think the saints are going to have to pay him in beads.

They were up against the salary cap and still gotta sign Jimmy Graham unless they traded him for pics to another team.

I think the saints are going to have to pay him in beads.

They were up against the salary cap and still gotta sign Jimmy Graham unless they traded him for pics to another team.

Funny how quickly they agreed.

he will probably do a few tricks to earn those beads. we all know Byrd like a good D.

I agree with you the time to move was last year. You're right.

Still doesn't mean they shouldn't have eaten another year if it meant getting something for their original investment in the guy.

I understand how you feel, but also understand how Whaley might not have wanted to antagonize the situation with a guy that the locker room clearly respected. I could see Byrd making things very difficult on the team with another year of this. You're just setting it up for yet another showdown and a lot of bad blood in 2015.

Yes, they'd have another year of market rate control and no obligation, but I don't think that's the way Whaley wants to deal. It's not necessarily a strategy we can all see eye to eye on, and it will look REAL weak if they don't address their holes. But I respect Whaley at the very least on the stance here. If Byrd was not going to stay -- and it really looks now like he didn't want to -- keeping him around another year was going to be counterproductive. I also respect that Byrd played under 4 different DCs and was about to play for his fifth. I cannot blame him in the least for seeking out a more stable situation.

If he were the difference between playoffs and not, or between a playoff run and a Super Bowl run, I'd definitely have tagged him. He won't make or break the defense.

Or how about when they draft Ha-Ha.

I can't think of a better irony.

Good God, no.

So the 2009 draft legacy ends with

Maybin over orakpo... Enough said

Peters traded for wood who sticks around

Byrd walking for nothing

Trade up for levitre - walks for nothing

4 picks in the top 51 and simply one of those examples where we are so close yet seemingly so far from being successful. I think those 4 selections sum up our decade pretty well, really.

So the 2009 draft legacy ends with

Maybin over orakpo... Enough said

Peters traded for wood who sticks around

Byrd walking for nothing

Trade up for levitre - walks for nothing

4 picks in the top 51 and simply one of those examples where we are so close yet seemingly so far from being successful. I think those 4 selections sum up our decade pretty well, really.

Eek.

It's not to be discounted that there have been at least three separate regimes during that time - with a constantly churning set of defensive strategies - but agreed, it's a pretty piss-poor return.

Here's hoping that more stability means more good players stay.

This is why we can't have nice things.

I've been a Buffalo Bills fan 25yeas and have "lurked" on this board for probably15 years. I do not post often but I read the comments religiously. And there are many fans who seem to agree with any move the front office makes, disparage any free agent who leaves us, complains about local and national media who, with professional skepticism dare to criticize the franchise decisions , and has rose-colored glasses about the upcoming season or the "potential" of whatever untested third-string TE is on the team.

We lost Byrd because Byrd was a winner, A Pro Bowler with 22 ints in 5 years. And we are not winners, not in 13 years. We are the fat, unemployed guy with bad hygene, bad table manners and no game who blames his hot wife for leaving him and calls her disloyal. The truth is he deserved to be dumped.

I understand how you feel, but also understand how Whaley might not have wanted to antagonize the situation with a guy that the locker room clearly respected. I could see Byrd making things very difficult on the team with another year of this. You're just setting it up for yet another showdown and a lot of bad blood in 2015.

Yes, they'd have another year of market rate control and no obligation, but I don't think that's the way Whaley wants to deal. It's not necessarily a strategy we can all see eye to eye on, and it will look REAL weak if they don't address their holes. But I respect Whaley at the very least on the stance here. If Byrd was not going to stay -- and it really looks now like he didn't want to -- keeping him around another year was going to be counterproductive. I also respect that Byrd played under 4 different DCs and was about to play for his fifth. I cannot blame him in the least for seeking out a more stable situation.

If he were the difference between playoffs and not, or between a playoff run and a Super Bowl run, I'd definitely have tagged him. He won't make or break the defense.

Good God, no.

Whaley took the easy way out and in doing so sent the wrong message to the locker room. If you're worried about antagonizing Byrd then you work with Byrd to find the best outcome. You don't just tag him and say "suck it! you're mine!" you use the tag with the understanding that you're going to deal him by the draft to one of the teams Parker and Byrd agree to. Had they done that, you're telling me they couldn't have worked out a deal with the Saints that got the Bills something for nothing and still got Byrd where he wanted to be. That would save face in the locker room and suddenly Whaley is a guy who's willing to protect the team AND his players. That's a guy I want to play for.

That's not rocket science. That's called being a GM. But since this is the Bills and they, despite the claims to the contrary the past two years, are still the Bills.

Edited by GreggyT

This is why we can't have nice things.

I've been a Buffalo Bills fan 25yeas and have "lurked" on this board for probably15 years. I do not post often but I read the comments religiously. And there are many fans who seem to agree with any move the front office makes, disparage any free agent who leaves us, complains about local and national media who, with professional skepticism dare to criticize the franchise decisions , and has rose-colored glasses about the upcoming season or the "potential" of whatever untested third-string TE is on the team.

We lost Byrd because Byrd was a winner, A Pro Bowler with 22 ints in 5 years. And we are not winners, not in 13 years. We are the fat, unemployed guy with bad hygene, bad table manners and no game who blames his hot wife for leaving him and calls her disloyal. The truth is he deserved to be dumped.

Did she take the dog too?