Byrd is a Saint

I think that was a Kenny Stills bomb where go matched up on Hughes one on one. For a pass rusher, Hughes ran with him pretty decent.

Hughes was also on that but if I recall, Hughes was also the short zone on one of the graham tds. He was forced into Lawson's coverage role and got beat up a bit that day.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Retweeted by Lori Chase

75995cc51de948bedcd7a3dd37269b4e_bigger.jpegJeff Duncan@JeffDuncan_ 5m

Jairus Byrd will become the second highest paid player on the #Saints roster when he signs his deal, trailing only Drew Brees.

Haha if the Saints DON'T win the SB with a top 3 paid QB, TE and FS then heads will roll, and they will be rebuilding in 2 years. There is no way they can justify spending this kind of cash without getting a ring.

Good teams figure out how to sign their good players. The Bills have mastered the art of drafting for the same position year after year after year. This team continues to be irrelevant. March on to mediocrity Buffalo, maybe by 2020 we will get that far.

Good teams figure out how to sign their good players. The Bills have mastered the art of drafting for the same position year after year after year. This team continues to be irrelevant. March on to mediocrity Buffalo, maybe by 2020 we will get that far.

The Bills aren't a good team yet. Byrd certainly won't make or break that, but they need to fill the void he is leaving.

What in Gods name are you talking about? I feel like only a "homer" would get this upset about not signing someone who made it clear that they didn't want to sign, lol. While we're at it I'd like to show my anger at the Bills for not forcing Petine to stay too, also how dare they let Schobel retire. Does this front office have any clue?! Idiots!

Actually, I look at it differently, with all due respect of course. I think it's the "homers" who are taking your stance because it's letting the front office completely off the hook. "Someone who made it clear that they didn't want to sign" -- do you dismiss the power of personality completely? It's Whaley and Brandon's job to sell the team, sell the franchise to the players, and, if it becomes clear that nothing can be done, you work to find other options and work with Byrd to get best for both parties. If that fails, then you protect your most prized asset and your leverage.

Sure, Byrd probably had no desire to stay. That's fair. But that doesn't excuse the front office for letting an asset walk away without getting anything in return. If it happened once or twice that would be one thing, but this is a constant theme this time of year. Only a homer would deny it.

Actually, NE & Pittsburgh let a lot of guys walk. They both got Hall of Fame Qbs though.

Haha if the Saints DON'T win the SB with a top 3 paid QB, TE and FS then heads will roll, and they will be rebuilding in 2 years. There is no way they can justify spending this kind of cash without getting a ring.

Well with a 35 year old HoF qb, your going to take a shot to push your chips all in....

And they are merely spending to the cap, it's not like they are wildly out of line with others.

That is not necessarily true, see the Steelers & Ravens; hell even the Pats*

Watching the saints DBs, they are definitely coached to go low. Like target knees. It's borderline dirty, they never try to form tackle they all just go helmet first at knees.

I wonder how Byrd is going to adjust to that system.

He will predominantly be a single high safety looking for the pick. Nothing new.

We still have a secondary comprised of homegrown talent including two first round picks at corner and a second at safety. Leodis showed us a lot last year and I think we'll finally see what Gilmore can do this year (praying). I like the attitude Aaron brings. I'm not crying about this and acting like Bucky Gleason ripping on the "optimist" Bills fans. I like our D. Take the cash and lock up the Dareus.

Technically, they lost last season. They probably should have dealt him around the last draft, or to a desperate contender in the middle of last season, to try to get a player into the system sooner. Now they are going to wait and see what if any shakeout there is from the compensation picks, and maybe get a seventh rounder into the fold in 2015. It could be that they end up with nothing.

I do think that if they had tagged him (and not signed him) it would have been difficult to move him for anything, and I have at points expressed the same opinion you're sharing here. I just think it's a lot easier to move Gabbert (not tagged and not set up for a very expensive contract) vs. Byrd (who likely wanted to test the market no matter what).

All of that is probably well and true -- but it doesn't matter. An excellent front office would find a way to make it work -- just like the Saints, found a way to get it done despite having 18 million less in cap room. The rules don't prohibit sign and trades and just because it isn't common place doesn't mean it's not a viable option.

I'm just mystified how they are going to be able to afford Graham, considering how much they just shelled out, with 28 million guaranteed. They had 2 million in cap room and they just started shelling out almost 9 million a year for Byrd.

Click on the Byrd thread - I outlined pretty easily how they go forward. It's not even a major challenge. Note that 2m includes Graham's tag, and Sproles and Thomas haven't actually left yet so their 6.5m hasn't been reflected.

The Bills aren't a good team yet. Byrd certainly won't make or break that, but they need to fill the void he is leaving.

More than fill the void, they continue a pattern of letting assets leave without getting anything in return. That's bad business. It's bad football. It's bad team building.

But it's great for the bottom line.

Actually, NE & Pittsburgh let a lot of guys walk. They both got Hall of Fame Qbs though.

QFT.

Niners just lost their starting Pro Bowl safety and traded for J. Martin and Blaine Gabbert... an offseason that might get them compared to NFL laughingstocks without the aid of context. Difference is that they already have a strong team and have shown they will make moves to address their holes.

Now, if the Niners also pick up Mark Sanchez, I think we can legitimately laugh at them.

We still have a secondary comprised of homegrown talent including two first round picks at corner and a second at safety. Leodis showed us a lot last year and I think we'll finally see what Gilmore can do this year (praying). I like the attitude Aaron brings. I'm not crying about this and acting like Bucky Gleason ripping on the "optimist" Bills fans. I like our D. Take the cash and lock up the Dareus.

Or, take that cash AND a pick or two...

They're both really lucky franchises.

NE, for sure. Got lucky on a 6th rounder.

The Steelers on the other hand is maybe the best franchise in sports. Maybe the best owner in sports. They have a history of success & drafted Big Ben in the 1st.

NE's drafting hasn't been any better than ours.