Bills sign Aaron Williams to extension

Except he won't. It is an EXTENSION. JW can correct me if I'm wrong but the 4 years and 26 million will kick in after his rookie deal expires. Meaning next year he will make $1,673,185.

Thomas - 2013 3,500,000 next year 5,175,000

Chancellor - 2103 3,878,402, next year 5,725,000

Goldson - 2013 8,735,295 next year 9,000,000

So after next year is it reasonable to think he would command 6.5 million on the open market? Considering that would make him the 8th highest safety right now before this year and next year's free agency (TJ Ward and Byrd will certainly command more) which would make it at most the 10th highest safety contract, yes I think it is very reasonable to assume.

edited to include link to cap hits.

without seeing details i can almost promise he took home some of that 26m today in a signing bonus.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He plays out the last year of his rookie deal and then the new deal kicks in.

So essentially this is a 5yr deal. Thats a great deal for both sides.

From listening to what Byrd said yesterday on first take it seemed like he was very bitter bout not getting contract extension after his 3rd yr. That was a huge mistake by Buddy hopefully we have learned from this moving forward.. Doug Whaley has to be able to have some vision going forward with the players that deserve extensions.. Identity our building blocks and lock them up early. This helps both sides in negotiations from said player being able to obtain long-term security to us getting these guys for a value we see fit.

Hopefully the Bills offer Dareus a 7yr 50mil extension next. Dareus is just 23yrs old and just starting to touch the surface of his potential. On face value that offer might seem a little high but after the cap goes up these next couple yrs it would be a bargain. Same goes for Cordy after next season I would offer that same type of deal if he continues to progress.

Edited by NastyNateSoldiers

Or it could be viewed as a way to entice Byrd knowing he'd be paired with AW for most of their careers...

Bingo! One of the things that Byrd mentioned that was important to him was his legacy. There is no doubt in my mind that Byrd loves his teammates, Williams in particular. If the Bills, at this point, have any shot of signing Byrd then I believe that offering continuity with players that he's familiar with is about as good as any as an enticement at this time. I don't believe that some other team is going to pay him significantly more than what has been projected as our offer to him. If he signs for the same or even less than it doesn't matter what we offered him, it would be apparent that he just doesn't want to be here and no matter what the money would be it wouldn't be enough. With that being said and now that a couple of days have past and my emotions have settled down I would like to weigh in on this whole scenario if I may.

First off Byrd is not a punk or a bad person/player just because of what's happening. The guy is a great Safety and even a better person off of the field and I am proud and grateful that he is/was a Buffalo Bill. Matter of fact I wish that we had a whole roster full of a guy/player like him. There's a lot that goes on behind the scenes and I'm quite sure that there's more to all of this that we don't know verse what we do know. Either way no matter where Jairus plays next year I wish him the best of fortune and that he fulfills all of his aspirations.

Secondly, although I have been tortured, like may of you, and have stressed more than I probably needed to over this whole situation I honestly can't fault Parker for doing what he has done. The guy is an excellent agent and did what he was hired to do. Keep in mind that his obligation first and foremost is to his client, not to the Bills', their fans or anyone else. Simply the guy did what he was suppose to do, as unpopular as it is to most of us on this message board.

When some have pointed out that the Bills will not commit this much money to our Safety positions this year I don't think that this is necessarily accurate. This would be the year for us to spend this kind of money, with our cap situation being so far under. As someone has already pointed out that Dareus can't be re-signed this year because of the CBA rules, and if this accurate then very astute to you sir, then Byrd could be loaded up this year with a nice big signing bonus. Whaley and Byrd BOTH seemed very amicable to keeping this offer opened, I believe in both of their sincerity. I can't fault Byrd for being anxious to see what lays ahead of him, he has worked his whole life to get to this position and he has earned the right to see what can happen for him, especially after last off season frustrations and a whole season of waiting and wondering. Hopefully he does come back and sign with us, imagine what our secondary would be like! Imo it would be one of the best in the whole league.

One last thing I would like to point out. All these years, a couple of decades now, which includes even the non-play-off years, we have had more than our share of GREAT secondary players. Even though most have them ended up leaving at one point or another during their careers we have had them, I don't know if this actually means anything but anytime that I can find something positive about this organization than I'm gonna grab it because Lord knows we sure do take more than our fair of bashing around here! LOL!

Go Bills and congratulations to Aaron, we love having ya!

without seeing details i can almost promise he took home some of that 26m today in a signing bonus.

I think that is actually a good thing. With how far below the cap they are taking the hit now would be a benefit before the big dollars of the contract kick in. Say it was even a 4 million bonus. That means they will be paying 5.5 for those 4 years which makes the contract an even better deal. The numbers really seem to be in the Bills favor if AW can play as good as last year let alone get better.

Maybe, but I think his foot issue was bogus. Either way, he's on his way out the door, so who cares at this point?

What's worse.... a player with chronic PF or a player that fakes chronic PF to get out of a contract?

At this point, I think its time to move on from Byrd. He just didn't want to play for the Bills, for whatever his reasons. The Bills have shown that they're more than willing to negotiate with and extend their own players with very fair market value contracts. The AW deal is just further proof of that.

We don't know all the details of their offer to Byrd but if, as reported, it was about $10 mill/yr then what more should the FO have offered? I'm sure there was plenty of small print that could have been the deal breaker. But it seems to me that dollar amount is prettty much right where it should have been. Perhaps its just time to admit that Byrd didn't want to play in Buffalo, regardess of their offer. And was willing to sit out, fake injury, do whatever... to get out.

This would be the year for us to spend this kind of money, with our cap situation being so far under. As someone has already pointed out that Dareus can't be re-signed this year because of the CBA rules, and if this accurate then very astute to you sir, then Byrd could be loaded up this year with a nice big signing bonus.

From what I know, it is Glenn we cannot resign as of yet due to CBA rules. We can extend Dareus, or choose to active a 5th year clause in his contract and buy another year.

Dareus, Glenn, Spiller, and Hughes are now guys the Bills should consider extending

Edited by Sumin

I think that is actually a good thing. With how far below the cap they are taking the hit now would be a benefit before the big dollars of the contract kick in. Say it was even a 4 million bonus. That means they will be paying 5.5 for those 4 years which makes the contract an even better deal. The numbers really seem to be in the Bills favor if AW can play as good as last year let alone get better.

yea, if its accurately 4 years ADDED it is essentially a 5 year 28m deal, and im ok with them giving a big raise this year with all the space we have (and not signing bonus, im talking salary that will count this year)

From what I know, it is Glenn we cannot resign as of yet due to CBA rules. We can extend Dareus, or choose to active a 5th year clause in his contract and buy another year.

Dareus, Glenn, Spiller, and Hughes are now guys the Bills should be considering extending

Oops, you're absolutely correct sir, I meant Glenn, an oversight on my part.

A Williams will be payed more next year than Earl Thomas, Kam Chancellor, Dashon Goldson were this year. Does anyone think that, if Williams was a free agent right now that he would command 6.5 per in the open market based on his career so far?

when Chancellor is up he will probably be the highest paid safety in the league.

This is the way Levitre and Byrd should have been kept or traded while under regular contract. Do this with all good players.

I completely agree, but I think a lot of people neglect that it takes two to negotiate. (not saying you are, just speaking generally)

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't recall reports of AW's agent and the Bills talking even a few weeks ago. So let's say the Bills' FO approached him a few weeks ago wanting to extend AW. But, AW and his agent decide... no, let's wait a year and see what kind of year he had. Then next year, reports come out that AW, after having a great year, wants to test the FA market. People here are screaming we should have extended him in 2014. And we get more... the Bills are a wreck, Ralph is cheap, they never sign their own, etc. When the reality is they tried, but the player/agent didn't want an extension. Perhaps, maybe that could partly explain why the FO was so cheap and incompetent in the Byrd negotiations yet so awesomely good with AW.

Just a thought for perspective... We can't keep every player. We can't sign any FA we want. That's just the way it goes. Yes, sometimes it may be due to the FO's incompetence. But it may, at times, it may be due to an agent/player just wanting to test the market. Without being privy to the negotiations, it's pure specualtion as to which is more prevalent.

I completely agree, but I think a lot of people neglect that it takes two to negotiate. (not saying you are, just speaking generally)

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't recall reports of AW's agent and the Bills talking even a few weeks ago. So let's say the Bills' FO approached him a few weeks ago wanting to extend AW. But, AW and his agent decide... no, let's wait a year and see what kind of year he had. Then next year, reports come out that AW, after having a great year, wants to test the FA market. People here are screaming we should have extended him in 2014. And we get more... the Bills are a wreck, Ralph is cheap, they never sign their own, etc. When the reality is they tried, but the player/agent didn't want an extension. Perhaps, maybe that could partly explain why the FO was so cheap and incompetent in the Byrd negotiations yet so awesomely good with AW.

Just a thought for perspective... We can't keep every player. We can't sign any FA we want. That's just the way it goes. Yes, sometimes it may be due to the FO's incompetence. But it may, at times, it may be due to an agent/player just wanting to test the market. Without being privy to the negotiations, it's pure specualtion as to which is more prevalent.

To your point, I'll add that hindsight is 20/20. It's nice to talk about how the Bills should re-sign a guy with 2-3 years left on their contract or trade a guy so that they can make sure to lock in value. On the flip side, how many times has the organization done exactly that with a player that in hindsight DIDN'T deserve what they got in their contract? Also, how many players did the team let linger for far too long that should have been gone? Clearly, no team can keep everyone. It just doesn't work that way in the NFL. Hopefully though for this team, they keep as many of the "right" guys as possible and at the right price.

Doesn't matter and is utterly unrelated to what the Bills are paying him.

GO BILLS!!!

Then why not pay Byrd what he wants?

What's worse.... a player with chronic PF or a player that fakes chronic PF to get out of a contract?

At this point, I think its time to move on from Byrd. He just didn't want to play for the Bills, for whatever his reasons. The Bills have shown that they're more than willing to negotiate with and extend their own players with very fair market value contracts. The AW deal is just further proof of that.

We don't know all the details of their offer to Byrd but if, as reported, it was about $10 mill/yr then what more should the FO have offered? I'm sure there was plenty of small print that could have been the deal breaker. But it seems to me that dollar amount is prettty much right where it should have been. Perhaps its just time to admit that Byrd didn't want to play in Buffalo, regardess of their offer. And was willing to sit out, fake injury, do whatever... to get out.

I completely agree it's time to move on from Byrd.

I liked the kid after an interview he made on Buffalo Bills dot com where he talked so fluently and about country music and horses and seemed like a Genuinely down to earth intelligent guy. GOOD FOR US!

Yeah...okay.