Jairus Byrd [was Jarius Byrd]

Wow- so we lost our best coach and -arguably- our best defensive player, and we are suppose to believe this team is on the right track. What a joke- we will be millions under the cap and old may Ralphy will be counting his dough. Being a Bills fan is humiliating. We really let this guy walk for nothing- TAG AND TRADE!!

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's a TERRIBLE option for the player. For Byrd this season, it means he gets 8m guaranteed instead of 25-30m guaranteed.

Maybe so but I am going to guess that Byrd and his agent know what is in his best interests better than you or I. Byrd is willing to risk getting tagged rather than signing the contract being offered.

It's all moot anyway. According to Buscaglia and NFL.com's Ian Rappaport, the Bill's aren't going to tag him. The report indicates that the Bill's gauged the trade market for him and turns out it's not any better than the 4th or 5th round compensatory pick they would get if they just let him walk. NFL.com

Wow- so we lost our best coach and -arguably- our best defensive player, and we are suppose to believe this team is on the right track. What a joke- we will be millions under the cap and old may Ralphy will be counting his dough. Being a Bills fan is humiliating. We really let this guy walk for nothing- TAG AND TRADE!!

They looked at a trade and despite all the Byrd trade fantasies regularly bandied about around here, it turns out no one was offering anything better than the compensatory pick in the 4th or 5th round we would get if we let him walk. And that shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. Every team in the league knows we want to get rid of him so why on earth would they offer a top pick when the odds are that we would be releasing him?

It's a TERRIBLE option for the player. For Byrd this season, it means he gets 8m guaranteed instead of 25-30m guaranteed.

I don't have a problem with the Bills playing this thing all the way out...Worse comes to worst they can pull the tag...I agree with what Kirby wrote back in this thread a bit...The teams unwilling to give up a pick right now are hoping Byrd is not tagged and they wont have to give up anything...I'm going to assume Parker is doing his best to muddy the waters there as well in hopes that Byrd can hit the open market which is the best case scenario for his client...IMHO the Bills should tag Byrd regardless...It seems pretty obvious it's the right thing to do at this point...

I'm just getting the vibe they don't have the stomach for this anymore...Not to mention this is the Bills after all...And you know darn well they will sign a UFA Safety and try to spin it like that was the plan all along...Y'all have to know that is coming... B-)

To be fair we haven't lost him yet. We will see.

The compensatory pick talk is nonsense unless it means they are not going to sign anyone in FA. Last year they didnt get one when Levitre signed for his big contract because we signed Lawson, Branch, etc. I expect we will sign a few more of those caliber guys, and won't get anything more than a 6th or 7th for losing Byrd.

Be prepared for the famous line again. "We only want players that want to be here".

We're treading on dangerous ground. When someone like Dareus' contract is up he might say to hell with Buffalo. All I have to do is say I don't want to be here and I'll get my way. If we tag Byrd again, that very same free agent might say I better take what I can get before I risk bring injured playing on two one year deals.

I don't have a problem with the Bills playing this thing all the way out...Worse comes to worst they can pull the tag...I agree with what Kirby wrote back in this thread a bit...The teams unwilling to give up a pick right now are hoping Byrd is not tagged and they wont have to give up anything...I'm going to assume Parker is doing his best to muddy the waters there as well in hopes that Byrd can hit the open market which is the best case scenario for his client...IMHO the Bills should tag Byrd regardless...It seems pretty obvious it's the right thing to do at this point...

I'm just getting the vibe they don't have the stomach for this anymore...Not to mention this is the Bills after all...And you know darn well they will sign a UFA Safety and try to spin it like that was the plan all along...Y'all have to know that is coming... B-)

It doesn't matter if they don't have the stomach for this anymore. If they are sick of Byrd and Parker and the circus they don't return their calls. And they still tag him and they still see if someone calls about a trade. And if there isn't one to be made for more than a 3rd or 4th, they drop the tag. Philly gave up a #1, a #4 and a #6 just for the right to pay Peters 10m (yes, I know this is a LT). The Falcons gave up a first just for the right to overpay Peerless Price. Someone may be equally or nearly as dumb or desperate. You do it because it's the best move to make for the team right now.

If they are not willing to make him the highest paid safety in the league then Byrd is right to say go to hell. This franchise sucks and the only way he should stay is to pay top dollar. Whaley is a moron not to pay him top dollar. They have enough cap room to tag him now. They can remove the tag at anytime if they want. The tag will not limit their ability to spend in FA. It may be true that there is no good trade options but there is no reason to just let him walk for nothing.

Do u really think Whaley has control over salaries, That's definitely not the case. The controlling factions of Ralphs money vault are Ladyman, OverDork & Russ Steer the Bus Brandon. All Whaley is, is a glorified drafter..

Maybe so but I am going to guess that Byrd and his agent know what is in his best interests better than you or I. Byrd is willing to risk getting tagged rather than signing the contract being offered.

It's all moot anyway. According to Buscaglia and NFL.com's Ian Rappaport, the Bill's aren't going to tag him. The report indicates that the Bill's gauged the trade market for him and turns out it's not any better than the 4th or 5th round compensatory pick they would get if they just let him walk. NFL.com

They looked at a trade and despite all the Byrd trade fantasies regularly bandied about around here, it turns out no one was offering anything better than the compensatory pick in the 4th or 5th round we would get if we let him walk. And that shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. Every team in the league knows we want to get rid of him so why on earth would they offer a top pick when the odds are that we would be releasing him?

Well...I can easily be argued that is exactly why you go ahead and use the tag...The thing is there is likely at least one, if not two or three teams that want Byrd...So play it all the way out...And if you truly can't get anything for him after a Month of Free Agency remove the tag and let him go...But is it not at least worthwhile to see if someone gets desperate? What do the Bills have to lose? They have the cap space...They can still be a minor player in Free Agency...The only reason I can think of for the Bills to not tag Byrd and play this thing all the way out is if they already have his replacement in mind and want to get the guy the day Free Agency opens... B-)

It doesn't matter if they don't have the stomach for this anymore. If they are sick of Byrd and Parker and the circus they don't return their calls. And they still tag him and they still see if someone calls about a trade. And if there isn't one to be made for more than a 3rd or 4th, they drop the tag. Philly gave up a #1, a #4 and a #6 just for the right to pay Peters 10m (yes, I know this is a LT). The Falcons gave up a first just for the right to overpay Peerless Price. Someone may be equally or nearly as dumb or desperate. You do it because it's the best move to make for the team right now.

Oh I know all that...I'm just saying it seems they want to move on from the situation...And no matter what we all think is the best thing to do...If they want to move on they are going to move on...Not saying it's the right thing to do...In fact I think its' dumb not to at least tag him and play this thing out a little further... B-)

If we do not franchise him we are stupid. If we do not franchise anyone, we're even more stupid.

I don't care if we franchise him and tell him to cover kicks all season - I am franchising his ass. I'll let him sit on IR if he fusses, too. It's not personal, it is business and if he doesn't want to contribute to my business then I deal with it at the time in which he shows he is unwilling.

If we release him everyone is talking about getting a comp pick. That's just pathetic. If we address free agency at all this offseason - which is likely - and get an OL, a WR/TE, and maybe an MLB they will offset the comp pick to what would become a likely 5th round pick. That is if Byrd plays at a high level. If he doesn't, well, we get lower.

There is no sense in not tagging Byrd. Tag Byrd and trade him if we must. Let the other team work out a long term deal.

Word

Franchise him just to send a message to Eugene Buffalo Basher Parker.

!@#$ Eugene Parker.

The compensatory pick talk is nonsense unless it means they are not going to sign anyone in FA. Last year they didnt get one when Levitre signed for his big contract because we signed Lawson, Branch, etc. I expect we will sign a few more of those caliber guys, and won't get anything more than a 6th or 7th for losing Byrd.

Which is apparently as much or more than we could get in a trade:

"The Bills initially believed there would be a trade market if they tagged Byrd and shopped his services, but the team has changed its stance in the past week. It's now believed to be unlikely a team would be willing to trade for Byrd, then sign him to a substantial long-term deal.

Byrd, 27, becomes one of the hottest names on the free-agent market if he's not under contract by March 11. The three-time Pro Bowl pick ranked No. 3 on ATL's list of the top 101 free agents.

The Bills would be pained to lose one of their best players for a compensation pick, but it might end up being their most sensible option." NFL.com

Edited by Mickey

I know the odds aren't in our favor that this all ends well but I say screw it lets play hardball and tag his ass. Lets send a clear and loud message that we run the show, we do what's best for the Bills, and that we'll let you leave ON OUR TERMS not Byrd's or Parker's. We're getting something out of this damn it.

Well...I can easily be argued that is exactly why you go ahead and use the tag...The thing is there is likely at least one, if not two or three teams that want Byrd...So play it all the way out...And if you truly can't get anything for him after a Month of Free Agency remove the tag and let him go...But is it not at least worthwhile to see if someone gets desperate? What do the Bills have to lose? They have the cap space...They can still be a minor player in Free Agency...The only reason I can think of for the Bills to not tag Byrd and play this thing all the way out is if they already have his replacement in mind and want to get the guy the day Free Agency opens... B-)

Wouldn't they be tying up all that cap money if they tagged him? The best FA's are often gone at the very start of the free agent signing period.

I know the odds aren't in our favor that this all ends well but I say screw it lets play hardball and tag his ass. Lets send a clear and loud message that we run the show, we do what's best for the Bills, and that we'll let you leave ON OUR TERMS not Byrd's or Parker's. We're getting something out of this damn it.

A desperate futile gesture doesn't demonstrate that you are running the show, quite the opposite.

Who cares? I care about the BILLS as a whole, not one player. The Franchise tag is a tool to assist the franchise I say tag his ass and tell him tough ****. If he wants out that bad his agent better get on the horn to Cleveland and tell them pony up a pick or two

Word

Franchise him just to send a message to Eugene Buffalo Basher Parker.

!@#$ Eugene Parker.

An 8.4 million dollar message? What is the message? "We are stupid and we are really mad, so here is $8.4 million dollars for one more lousy year on our roster, bwahahahah."

Wouldn't they be tying up all that cap money if they tagged him? The best FA's are often gone at the very start of the free agent signing period.

A desperate futile gesture doesn't demonstrate that you are running the show, quite the opposite.

So what its just 8 million. We have 25 mill and can free up over 5 more by cutting Peers and our Concussed QB Kolb. Tag his ass and be done with it

Who cares? I care about the BILLS as a whole, not one player. The Franchise tag is a tool to assist the franchise I say tag his ass and tell him tough ****. If he wants out that bad his agent better get on the horn to Cleveland and tell them pony up a pick or two

You see, that is the point. The tag isn't a bad option for Byrd this time around, you are not sticking it to him by tagging "his ass". Tagging him is good for Byrd and bad for the Bills. That is why the Bills are, at last report, leaning on not tagging him.

Byrd might be the most sought after free agent. GMs knew the Bills were in a bind. Byrd wants top dollar, Bills were not going to pay it and the other GMs knew this. Why would the other teams want to trade for him when they can wait for his release. If Byrd has an excellent season, the Bills will be compensated with a decent draft pick. It sucks that another good player walks but he plays at a position that is not sexy. If he was a QB, RB, WR, LT. Pass rushing DE or LB but he is not. Trade should have been done last year. Bills are bad at player management poker.

Edited by Nitro

So what its just 8 million. We have 25 mill and can free up over 5 more by cutting Peers and our Concussed QB Kolb. Tag his ass and be done with it

"Tag his ass" isn't the stick it to Byrd move you think it is. It is a bad move for Buffalo and not at all a terrible thing for Byrd which is precisely why Byrd would rather risk the tag then sign the contract being offered. The idea that "tagging his ass" is somehow making a point and really playing hardball with Byrd is a fantasy. If it was really hardball, Byrd would be signing a contract rather than risk it, wouldn't he?

An 8.4 million dollar message? What is the message? "We are stupid and we are really mad, so here is $8.4 million dollars for one more lousy year on our roster, bwahahahah."

8.4mil is less than 30 mil guaranteed and less than the signing bonus of the long term contract that is rumored to give Byrd 30 mil in the first 3 years.

The franchise tag is actually a discount.

Get over the money. It's not about the money. Byrd wants to choose his own adventure at Buffalo's loss. You can't let that happen.

Byrd might be the most sought after free agent. GMs knew the Bills were in a bind. Byrd wants top dollar, Bills were not going to pay it and the other GMs knew this. Why would the other teams want to trade for him when they can wait for his release. If Byrd has an excellent season, the Bills will be compensated with a decent draft pick. It sucks that another good player walks but he plays at a position that is not sexy. If he was a QB, RB, WR, LT. Pass rushing DE or LB but he is not. Trade should have been done last year. Bills are bad at player management poker.

The Bills aren't in a bind. They have plenty of cap room and can tag him and still sign players without any problem. I say do it and then see whether GMs will line up to trade for him.

8.4mil is less than 30 mil guaranteed and less than the signing bonus of the long term contract that is rumored to give Byrd 30 mil in the first 3 years.

The franchise tag is actually a discount.

Get over the money. It's not about the money. Byrd wants to choose his own adventure at Buffalo's loss. You can't let that happen.

Maybe we are both right, its the money and he doesn't want to be here. That 30 mill is part of a long term contract, this is a one and done contract. That is the value for Byrd. He got 6+ last year and would get 8.4 this year and still gets the 30 mil next year. On top of that, he may be nursing a grudge over being tagged last year and further, he might not be interested in playing for a team that hasn't made the playoffs since Bill Clinton was President. Edited by Mickey

The Bills aren't in a bind. They have plenty of cap room and can tag him and still sign players without any problem. I say do it and then see whether GMs will line up to trade for him.

My guess is that they already shopped him around and it turns out that there wasn't a line for him, hence the report that the Bills "gauged the interest" in trading Byrd.

My guess is that they already shopped him around and it turns out that there wasn't a line for him, hence the report that the Bills "gauged the interest" in trading Byrd.

If I were a GM, I wouldn't admit to interest either, hoping the Bills release him or for fear of tampering allegations. Tag him and then let Parker go find a team to deal with.

Maybe we are both right, its the money and he doesn't want to be here. That 30 mill is part of a long term contract, this is a one and done contract. That is the value for Byrd. He got 6+ last year and would get 8.4 this year and still gets the 30 mil next year. On top of that, he may be nursing a grudge over being tagged last year and further, he might not be interested in playing for a team that hasn't made the playoffs since Bill Clinton was President.

This is the first time I've ever heard this. Players hate the franchise tag. If they get seriously injured them all that guaranteed money goes to waste. The players like the security of a long term deal.

Maybe we are both right, its the money and he doesn't want to be here. That 30 mill is part of a long term contract, this is a one and done contract. That is the value for Byrd. He got 6+ last year and would get 8.4 this year and still gets the 30 mil next year. On top of that, he may be nursing a grudge over being tagged last year and further, he might not be interested in playing for a team that hasn't made the playoffs since Bill Clinton was President.

this . It is the biggest problem and doesn't work in the Bills favor. There are teams willing to give him that 30M guaranteed contract. Does he want to play with a team that goes to the playoffs and gives his 30M or for a team that has not been in the playoffs for 14 seasons.

I'm certain this is the case...And good for the Bills that they looked to get this done quickly...

But the reality is most teams are not going to to offer squat, especially if they really want Byrd, unless the tag is a reality...The only thing a team receives in return for promising a decent Draft pick right now is the ability to negotiate with Byrd exclusively when Free Agency opens...Nothing more...They don't get him automatically, and he can always say no...The tag pushes this thing forward...If there is real interest in Byrd the tag will leave no doubt...If there truly is no trade to be made the Bills can remove the tag in a month or so...

It really does make sense to play this out with the tag...It does not hurt the Bills at all, and could result in decent compensation for Byrd...if not, they remove the tag and they're no worse-off for it... B-)

Which is apparently as much or more than we could get in a trade:

"The Bills initially believed there would be a trade market if they tagged Byrd and shopped his services, but the team has changed its stance in the past week. It's now believed to be unlikely a team would be willing to trade for Byrd, then sign him to a substantial long-term deal.

Byrd, 27, becomes one of the hottest names on the free-agent market if he's not under contract by March 11. The three-time Pro Bowl pick ranked No. 3 on ATL's list of the top 101 free agents.

The Bills would be pained to lose one of their best players for a compensation pick, but it might end up being their most sensible option." NFL.com

This is kind of silly. The trade market is going to only develop once they tag him.

Byrd is significantly better than Levitre in the eyes of those judging, who measure by pro bowl and all pro status. Ther's no comparison.

True but no one knows the real criterion, money has to be the biggest factor.

I'm predicting right now that he lands a HUGE contract. He's an elite player at an increasingly important position, and there are apparently a ton of teams that covet him.

Edited by dave mcbride

I'm predicting right now that he lands a HUGE contract. He's an elite player at an increasingly important position, and there are apparently a ton of teams that covet him.

I totally agree. He's going to get 10m a year, IMO. But I think there won't be much want for any of the other Bills FA, we will likely re-sign Chandler, and then sign about three guys like Lawson, Branch, and Legursky, and we won't end up with anything more than a 6th rounder that is really a 7th rounder as a compensory.

I say tag him and try to trade him for value. However if we are not able to trade him we will still have his services for another year. He is one of the best safeties in the league and and his play may help us to reach the playoffs this year. It will also give us another year to look for his replacement.