Jairus Byrd [was Jarius Byrd]

ESPN - Eagles agree with Pro Bowl LT Jason Peters on 4-year extension, bringing overall value of deal to $51.3M

Parker got Philideplphia to extend Peters before his contract was up. And for a pretty good rate.

I don't know a thing about Philis front office but that say something to me. I'm not sure good or bad. And for who. But it tells me that Parker answers when there is money on the line.

Philly is notorious for not caving to players fwiw. This deal is an incredibly rich one for Peters which is why it likely got done. 5 years and 50+ million invested in a guy who has 2 blown out achilles in his past, is 32, and has only played one full season since 2006.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If this dude really does have the info, then the even more interesting tweet convo (to me at least) is this:

Kevin Massare@KevinMassare 38m
    Hearing we should have a decision on plan for Jairus Byrd soon.

Expand

[*]

DiPro@JDiProjetto 38m

@KevinMassare which way they leaning?

Expand

[*]

Kevin Massare@KevinMassare 24m

@JDiProjetto Leaning on getting a deal done, Its up to Parker to agree to terms. But Byrd might continue to press.

F5F5F5

Lol I am confused or is buddy nixon and kevin massacre the same person?

I believe they are different people... however, Massare was Nixon's OBD source until he started tweeting under his own name

Edit: I believe they are the same person and he is now tweeting under a personal account. There is more out there this morning, may want to check it out. FWIW.

Edited by YoloinOhio

ProFootballTalk@ProFootballTalk 42m

Bills say they're willing, and able to tag Jairus Byrd again (if that's what they really mean is another story) http://wp.me/p14QSB-9q9u

Here is what I gathered today from Kevin Massare, aka Buddy Nixon's, most recent Twitter convo: No real earth shattering "news" other than it sounds like Bills will announce a tag any day now, the good news being it appears they are pretty close on $ and the tag is just buying them more time to get it done. They have made a very strong offer (word is in the 9 mill range/yr) and the ball is in Parker/Byrd's court. It doesn't look like a case at all where the Bills are not trying to keep him (like some always complain they let their good players go, that is not the case here but remember it takes both sides to come to a deal). Now that said, it seems that they would still be open to a trade as the tag puts them squarely in a situation where they will be fielding offers, but the value would need to be no lower than a 2nd rd pick. Interestingly, he also said they are looking at safeties in the draft. Maybe in case they do trade him.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Bills say they're willing, and able to tag Jairus Byrd again (if that's what they really mean is another story) http://wp.me/p14QSB-9q9u

Here is what I gathered today from Kevin Massare, aka Buddy Nixon's, most recent Twitter convo: No real earth shattering "news" other than it sounds like Bills will announce a tag any day now, the good news being it appears they are pretty close on $ and the tag is just buying them more time to get it done. They have made a very strong offer (word is in the 9 mill range/yr) and the ball is in Parker/Byrd's court. It doesn't look like a case at all where the Bills are not trying to keep him (like some always complain they let their good players go, that is not the case here but remember it takes both sides to come to a deal). Now that said, it seems that they would still be open to a trade as the tag puts them squarely in a situation where they will be fielding offers, but the value would need to be no lower than a 2nd rd pick. Interestingly, he also said they are looking at safeties in the draft. Maybe in case they do trade him.

all sounds reasonable.

the safeties very well may be to replace meeks/searcy/duke/leonhard.... it sounded like they have little to no confidence in those guys.

Call me cynical, but I think no amount offered is gonna get this done, I'm afraid. Byrd is hellbent on letting the market determine his value and he can't do that if he's tagged. I doubt he'll be happy with $9m average (wish we knew what the guaranteed $ amount is) when he thinks that he'd get $10m from a team in a bidding war for his services.

GO BILLS!!!

Call me cynical, but I think no amount offered is gonna get this done, I'm afraid. Byrd is hellbent on letting the market determine his value and he can't do that if he's tagged. I doubt he'll be happy with $9m average (wish we knew what the guaranteed $ amount is) when he thinks that he'd get $10m from a team in a bidding war for his services.

GO BILLS!!!

I think this is more realistic than cynical. Hope its not the case, but that's business.

Is that you saying that, or Massare? I would think a trade for Byrd would have to bring a 1st round pick.

Edited by Buftex

Is that you saying that, or Massare? I would think a trade for Byrd would have to bring a 1st round pick.

He said this repeatedly, but only in relation to if it was with Cleveland, that they won't consider anything lower than their 35th pick. No other trade partners have been rumored to this point, but as soon as the tag is announced I am sure that will change. I think a 1st rounder isn't realistic (that's me talking).

GO BILLS!!!

while you may be right i think sometimes you err on the side of the player MUST get to free agency (i remember comments with levitre as well).

In this case, if it plays out another year at a contract under market value in order to get to free agency hes risking a lot over what might be 3-4m in real dollars over the course of 5 years. if our offers last year were 7m and 10m was close to his believed value i can see risking it for 15m

Edited by NoSaint

while you may be right i think sometimes you err on the side of the player MUST get to free agency (i remember comments with levitre as well).

In this case, if its play out another year at a contract under market value in order to get to free agency hes risking a lot over what might be 3-4m in real dollars over the course of 5 years. if our offers last year were 7m and 10m was close to his believed value i can see risking it for 15m

In that same realm...I agree it could be risky to play under a one-year deal: Ryan Alfieri@Ryan_Alfieri 25m

Maclin’s ACL may cost him tens of millions of dollars over the long run. Think about that next time a ”selfish” player holds out

heck, if we wouldve offered in the 9s last year, he mightve come out ahead over the same 5 year span (vs 2 tags and 3 years of market value free agent contract), and been more primed to get one last good 3 year deal to end his career (either at 31 if he played 5 seasons and hit UFA, or 30 if he was cut after year 4)

there are perks to simply signing if we can atleast get to the ball park of perceived value even if we arent the highest open market bidder.

Edited by NoSaint

In this case, if it plays out another year at a contract under market value in order to get to free agency hes risking a lot over what might be 3-4m in real dollars over the course of 5 years. if our offers last year were 7m and 10m was close to his believed value i can see risking it for 15m

I agree, the risk is there and I'm not sure it should be ignored. Parker cost Carrington a nice chunk of change playing the risk game.

GO BILLS!!!

If 9 doesn't get it done simply offer 10. We have heaps of cap room we never use, what difference does $1M/year make for one of our best players?

What makes you so sure $10m gets it done when a player is hellbent on letting the market determine his value? What if he can get $11m in an open market bidding war?

GO BILLS!!!

heck, if we wouldve offered in the 9s last year, he mightve come out ahead over the same 5 year span (vs 2 tags and 3 years of market value free agent contract), and been more primed to get one last good 3 year deal to end his career (either at 31 if he played 5 seasons and hit UFA, or 30 if he was cut after year 4)

there are perks to simply signing if we can atleast get to the ball park of perceived value even if we arent the highest open market bidder.

Parker doesn't strike me as the kind to "settle."

GO BILLS!!!

Right - I think if the relationship with the team is so bad he doesn't want to be there, it may make him feel like he needs to get out. I don't really see that. He really likes Henderson who is still here, by all accounts he and Marrone are on very good terms and he seems to really like his teammates. If he did hit FA I am sure he would prefer a contender like anyone else, but I don't feel like he is desperate to leave if the deal was right. He was just hanging out in Austin this past weekend with AW and Goodwin, they were tweeting out pics. Clearly that means nothing in regards to contract negotiations, but he at least likes his teammates enough to go hang out in the off season when he doesn't live there.

What makes you so sure $10m gets it done when a player is hellbent on letting the market determine his value? What if he can get $11m in an open market bidding war?

GO BILLS!!!

I said nothing about certainty; there's only one way to find out and it's not by pinching pennies. We're at 9; we have cap room we never use; is offering 10 really going to blow up our operation?

Whoa whoa whoa...stop the clock....

"Franchise safety"? What's nest, "franchise KR"?

So you're saying Ed Reed wasn't a franchise safety or Polamalu in his prime? Even Bob Sanders in Indy was a huge difference maker when healthy...

Earl Thomas?

Safety is becoming more and more important as the game keeps trending more towards a passing league every year

Edited by matter2003

Parker doesn't strike me as the kind to "settle."

GO BILLS!!!

but he does strike me as the type to know when the numbers work out better for his client and there are times when a LITTLE less this year actually is more for a career. i firmly believe his equation includes more than "if cut today he would be signed for X, i will not take less than X for any reason, ever, no matter what, even if it means i have to make less money over the career or take a big risk for almost no gain."

if you believe hes looking to maximize the money in byrds pocket the day he retires, you have to think hes looking at getting 2 contracts for byrd, not JUST this one, and all that goes into that. 9.5m from us today, might be more than a shot at 10m from someone else in a year. it eliminates risk, and opens up opportunity later too while not sacrificing much money at all. like i said upthread, if he sees us posing a 20-30% discount like i credited the 7-7.5m earlier in the thread potentially being, thats a whole different game than say 5% below his believed "market value"

Edited by NoSaint