Jairus Byrd [was Jarius Byrd]

Byrd does NOT want to sign with buffalo at any price. his immediate goal is to get to UFA.

too bad, who cares what he wants, tag his azz.

at $8.3 mil he is good value. if he plays his 100% healthy game, so what.

I'm fine with tagging him despite his disdain for staying in Buffalo...Don't get me wrong...But I think the Bills have been pretty vocal in the past that they want players that want to be here...Byrd clearly...And I mean crystal clearly...does not want to be here...So I would not be surprised to see the Bills simply move on... B-)

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They have spent on several players as you mentioned, and they have re-upped several of their own. That said, they don't often spend the money on the players they should, and they still manage to spend tens of millions less than other teams, when they have glaring holes at a lot of places.

They could have and should have signed Karlos Dansby last year but didn't offer him what he wanted, which wasn't much. Dansby in the middle and Kiko outside would have made this defense significantly better. They didn't want to spend on a LG and it killed them.

If they would have signed Dansby they would not have drafted Kiko.

I'm fine with tagging him despite his disdain for staying in Buffalo...Don't get me wrong...But I think the Bills have been pretty vocal in the past that they want players that want to be here...Byrd clearly...And I mean crystal clearly...does not want to be here...So I would not be surprised to see the Bills simply move on... B-)

The only reason to believe he doesnt want to be here is if he turned down a 50m-5 year deal, which one unreliable person tweeted today, with no others mentioning that to my knowledge. Otherwise, there is no reason to believe he doesnt want to be here. He wants to be paid amongst the top 2 safeties in the game, and he would be stupid to sign with the Bills if they didn't offer that to him, whether he wants to stay in Buffalo or not.

Byrd looks ok in a Bills uni. Tag him and play him if you can't work out a trade. Get SOME value for him in 2014 (either his play or a trade).

and if he sits out fine him as much as possible.

Seems stupid to me to just let him walk as every other player after him will want to do the same. He wants to play hardball, then play hardball!

If they would have signed Dansby they would not have drafted Kiko.

I very, very much doubt it. They had a desperate need for two linebacker starters. They loved him, and would have preferred him to play outside. They want to move him there now, still, even after that rookie season.

Byrd looks ok in a Bills uni. Tag him and play him if you can't work out a trade. Get SOME value for him in 2014 (either his play or a trade).

I'm guessing Byrd's camp is ready to up the anti if he's tagged and retained this season... They'll sit out as long as they can this time...That's my prediction... B-)

If we tag him and can't find a trade partner Byrd WILL sit out the first 8 games of the season and then what? This is a scenario which could very well happen. Is this something to gamble on? I say NO, NO, and NO.

Did Byrd perform well last season? Will it help Byrd in 2015 to play well in 2014? Is it worth paying Byrd $8.4M & not create another hole on this team?

I say YES, YES & YES.

I guess we're keeping the team in neutral, get ready for Ha Ha Dix. This Organization is truly garbage..

Thankyou Littman, Overdork & Ralph. Thanks for your commitment to mediocre. U guys have done a great job.. Oh yea before I forget Special Special thanks to Russ steer the Bus Brandon. U have done a even better job selling the Bills fans this mediocrity!

Edited by NastyNateSoldiers

I very, very much doubt it. They had a desperate need for two linebacker starters. They loved him, and would have preferred him to play outside. They want to move him there now, still, even after that rookie season.

They signed Lawson. If they signed Dansby I have no reason to believe that they would have used a 2nd on another LB. Do you really think that they would sign 2 free agents and a 2nd round pick on LB?

I'm guessing Byrd's camp is ready to up the anti if he's tagged and retained this season... They'll sit out as long as they can this time...That's my prediction... B-)

That has a decent chance to drastically hurt his UFA contract next year. That would not be a good strategy at all. I think they threatened it. I doubt they would do it.

If we tag him and can't find a trade partner Byrd WILL sit out the first 8 games of the season and then what? This is a scenario which could very well happen. Is this something to gamble on? I say NO, NO, and NO.

Sorry bro. That's where you're wrong. He might have gotten away with that BS last year, but if he tried that same crap again he would only hurt himself. Teams might become skeptical to sign him if he says he's hurt, yet again, for two reasons. 1. They don't want to pay for a chronic gimp 2. They believe he's faking it and they don't want a guy that will do that kind of thing.

Don't care, and neither should the Bills. You either make a statement or you leave the room wimpering. Tag Byrd and everyone knows that the Bills will use every advantage available to them. Let him walk and you tell the league nothing has changed.

If they are not willing to make him the highest paid safety in the league then Byrd is right to say go to hell. This franchise sucks and the only way he should stay is to pay top dollar. Whaley is a moron not to pay him top dollar. They have enough cap room to tag him now. They can remove the tag at anytime if they want. The tag will not limit their ability to spend in FA. It may be true that there is no good trade options but there is no reason to just let him walk for nothing.

Don't care, and neither should the Bills. You either make a statement or you leave the room wimpering. Tag Byrd and everyone knows that the Bills will use every advantage available to them. Let him walk and you tell the league nothing has changed.

amen

They signed Lawson. If they signed Dansby I have no reason to believe that they would have used a 2nd on another LB. Do you really think that they would sign 2 free agents and a 2nd round pick on LB?

Absolutely. They needed three starters at LB. Outside of LG there wasnt another position that a starter was clearly needed when they took Kiko.

The only reason to believe he doesnt want to be here is if he turned down a 50m-5 year deal, which one unreliable person tweeted today, with no others mentioning that to my knowledge. Otherwise, there is no reason to believe he doesnt want to be here. He wants to be paid amongst the top 2 safeties in the game, and he would be stupid to sign with the Bills if they didn't offer that to him, whether he wants to stay in Buffalo or not.

You can believe anything you want to KtD...I respect you're opinion...

But it's my opinion, and I should note that's it's been my opinion for almost a year now, that Byrd does not want to be in Buffalo...Call it a gut feeling...whatever...I don't think the guy wants to be here, and I think if you read between the lines it's crystal clear...Heck it may just be that he does not want to be on this side of the country anymore...He's a west coast kid...I'm not blaming him for not wanting to be here...But whatever the reason is I don't think he wants to play in Buffalo any longer...JMO... B-)

Well...I don't know...You're tying up over 8 million in cap space to make a point...If you're just doing it to extend the window in order to get a trade done then fine...I would be on-board for that...But if you're willing to go all the way and let him sit out most of the season I think it's just dumb at this point...

It's a bad marriage...Sometimes it's best to just walk... B-)

But it's my opinion, and I should note that's it's been my opinion for almost a year now, that Byrd does not want to be in Buffalo...Call it a gut feeling...whatever...I don't think the guy wants to be here, and I think if you read between the lines it's crystal clear...Heck it may just be that he does not want to be on this side of the country anymore...He's a west coast kid...I'm not blaming him for not wanting to be here...But whatever the reason is I don't think he wants to play in Buffalo any longer...JMO... B-)

I highly doubt the east coast or even the location of the stadium or city is the issue. I would think that very NFL player worth a darn wants that ring, to hold up the trophy, to play for a winner. While getting as much money as he can of course.

The smart players realize they have limited windows of opportunity to win a Championship, and to play at all.

On a side note, Tag his arse! This is worse then letting Levitre walk away because he is a pro bowler.

Edited by FeartheLosing

My guess is that Swearinger would have been the pick. They took 2 safeties shortly thereafter.

Green players with talent, to be back-ups and insurance the following year if Byrd left. And they took their second WR of the draft before any safety. They absolutely loved Kiko in this draft. If Woods wasnt there, they may have taken him with that pick.

Green players with talent, to be back-ups and insurance the following year if Byrd left. And they took their second WR of the draft before any safety. They absolutely loved Kiko in this draft. If Woods wasnt there, they may have taken him with that pick.

I think that Keenan Allen could have been an option as well. I believe that he was on the board still. The point that I am trying to make is there is no guarantee (in fact not likely) that if they signed Dansby that Kiko would be on the roster. They added 2 LBs last year (I think) Lawson and Kiko. I am not positive that they would have added a 3rd.

Well...I don't know...You're tying up over 8 million in cap space to make a point...If you're just doing it to extend the window in order to get a trade done then fine...I would be on-board for that...But if you're willing to go all the way and let him sit out most of the season I think it's just dumb at this point...

It's not my money so it's relatively easy. :D

Just letting Byrd walk without putting the franchise tag on him again makes absolutely no sense. At least with the franchise tag, the Bills could still have more time to trade him, especially with the draft approaching in May. Letting one of your best players walk without getting anything in return is a very idiotic move. If the Bills are unable to move him, then they might as well stick it to Byrd and his agent since it's obvious Byrd doesn't want to play in Buffalo, no matter the price.

Edited by Jerry Jabber

That's cool, I respect your opinion, too. It's just that you said it so emphatically, "clear, crystal clear" or something, as if it were a fact and not your strong opinion.

And I was responding that there were no facts to believe that. If, however, he did turn down 5-50, I would believe he didn't want to be here. I'm pretty certain that he just wants to be 1-2 paid safety in the league and he and his agents are very convinced he will get it on the open market.

Oh and F^&k LaCAnfora

Jason La Canfora@JasonLaCanfora 39s

Its not like the Bills are going to win a Super Bowl with him on the franchise tag in 2014. So take the comp pick and move on.

Joe Buscaglia@JoeBuscaglia 17s

That's substantial, all right RT @JasonLaCanfora The Bills offer to Byrd woulve made him 1 of highest paid safeties in the NFL in 1st 2 yrs

So F Byrd too

One of the highest paid in the first two years seems to imply they might not have gotten quite as far with the money as was rumored.

I think that he did say that very recently. So if Byrd walks away for nothing then Whaley is either going to lie, tell the truth and get fired or he'll resign to maintain his dignity. Way to go Bills organization!

I don't see any other scenarios.

Seriously? :lol:

I've heard Whaley comment on this thing more than once...He's always non-committal...Though he did indicate it was a good possibility Byrd would be tagged...He may have even hinted that it was likely...But never said they would for sure...He did his usual GM dance and said they would consider any option they have...

Here's the direct quote..."We have to leave every option on the table open...When you're trying to keep a good player you're going to try every means necessary to keep him..."

That's cool, I respect your opinion, too. It's just that you said it so emphatically, "clear, crystal clear" or something, as if it were a fact and not your strong opinion.

And I was responding that there were no facts to believe that. If, however, he did turn down 5-50, I would believe he didn't want to be here. I'm pretty certain that he just wants to be 1-2 paid safety in the league and he and his agents are very convinced he will get it on the open market.

I hear ya...Crystal clear to me...Maybe no one else...

Well...Probably no one else... :lol:

It's not my money so it's relatively easy. :D

:thumbsup:

I highly doubt the east coast or even the location of the stadium or city is the issue. I would think that very NFL player worth a darn wants that ring, to hold up the trophy, to play for a winner. While getting as much money as he can of course.

The smart players realize they have limited windows of opportunity to win a Championship, and to play at all.

On a side note, Tag his arse! This is worse then letting Levitre walk away because he is a pro bowler.

Maybe so...I was just using it as an example that it could be anything... B-)

F*** Bird let him just walk, The OBD offer him a nice contract. But he still don't want to sign with us. That telling me that he doesn't want to play for the bills anymore.

Yeah F him, but why are the Bills fing themselves? Franchise and trade him.

I don't understand what's so bad about D'Norris Searsy there is a drop offing coverage skills and speed but is he considered to be that bad?

It's the gap between Jason peters and Bell or levitre and legursky --- you could have a functional team still but you'd be a helluva lot happier with the all pro than the guy that should be a backup/role player

Has he pulled himself from games or practices or such? I've never had the impression he's soft but I know Kirby is getting that from people in the know with regards to opinion in the building. Could be the people in the building are being ridiculous too, but I wouldn't get on Kirby for sharing the tidbit

Yeah, I share the same curiousity. Since he hadn't missed games prior to the PF last season, I'm wondering where it comes from. Not meaning to get on Kirby, just wanting to know the Bills staff aren't nuts or to understand where this comes from

Sorry you can't have it both way!

People have been praising the Bills, and rightfully so for some of the other moves they made this past year, Drafting Kiko and Woods, signing Robey, Branch, and Hughes, the trade for Lawson. Those all worked out. Colin Brown didn't work out nearly as well as they had hoped based on their evaluations I'm sure Then the other guy Legelsky getting hurt further complicated things.

Bottom line is the Bill's had one of their better off seasons in terms of moves working out with the exception of this one. No team get them all right.

Keep telling yourself that. If that's true, they're even more inept than I imagined and that's saying a lot.

The Bills will be close to 30mil under the cap, there's no way they wil even get near the 133 million cap ceiling. I guarantee that. They have enough money to Franchise Byrd and still.be very flexible in FA

People act as if tagging him is some sort of brilliant, "stick it to Byrd" move. Byrd and his agent know full well what the tag means and that the Bills can use it again this year and they clearly don't see the tag as a worse option than signing the contract currently being offered. Getting tagged isn't a bad option for Byrd at all. He gets a 20% raise, around 8.4 million on top of the 6 something they paid him last year. That's over 14 million for two years of play and at the end of it, he will walk away a free man next year and sign a huge contract with someone else. Buffalo has cleverly maneuvered its way into a lose-lose scenario.

I don't understand what's so bad about D'Norris Searsy there is a drop offing coverage skills and speed but is he considered to be that bad?

Marrone has already addressed this...The Bills coaches feel it's best to leave Searcy in his current role where they feel he is very effective...He will not be one of the starting Safeties (baring injury of course)...Duke Williams and Meeks are the next men up...And expect the Bills to sign a UFA, or Draft another Safety if Byrd is gone... B-)

Yeah, I share the same curiousity. Since he hadn't missed games prior to the PF last season, I'm wondering where it comes from. Not meaning to get on Kirby, just wanting to know the Bills staff aren't nuts or to understand where this comes from

Its from information from within the building. They say it comes from his dad and he is a bit of a hypochondriac. The info is rock solid to say the least. I try not to pass along anything unless I am 100% positive that it is true.

People act as if tagging him is some sort of brilliant, "stick it to Byrd" move. Byrd and his agent know full well what the tag means and that the Bills can use it again this year and they clearly don't see the tag as a worse option than signing the contract currently being offered. Getting tagged isn't a bad option for Byrd at all. He gets a 20% raise, around 8.4 million on top of the 6 something they paid him last year. That's over 14 million for two years of play and at the end of it, he will walk away a free man next year and sign a huge contract with someone else. Buffalo has cleverly maneuvered its way into a lose-lose scenario.

It's a TERRIBLE option for the player. For Byrd this season, it means he gets 8m guaranteed instead of 25-30m guaranteed.