2014 NFL Scouting Combine

This was going to be next point above but I will put it down here. It appeared to be a down year for defense in the SEC this year. Spread offenses have jumped ahead of defenses. Alabama was the only team in the conference that didn't give up 20+ points/game this last year. Meanwhile every team except Florida(!) averaged at least 20 points/game.

I'm a big time Bama fan and therefore avid SEC follower, and it was definitely a down year for defense in 2013. Even Bama's was not quite as good as years past. LSU was awful compared to the handful of years before that, as was Florida. The second best defense in the SEC was probably Missouri's, and we all saw what Auburn did to them. BAD year for SEC defenses, for sure.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most impressive:

1.56 split.

Donald was VERY impressive as well.

Are you making this a function of reps in the BP? That's a test of endurance more than anything else and it stands to reason a strong guy with shorter arms is gonna have more reps.

GO BILLS!!!

Wow...Aaron Donald with a 1.59 10-yard split at 290 lbs...that's amazing.

Posting this again....it's worth it

Martavis Bryant....6'4", Official 4.42 at the Combine, a Junior, 39 Vertical, leader in the broad jump and check out his highlights...this kid would be a great pick-up in the 3rd...btw, watched his combine yesterday, he was fluid, great hands, and impressive...that's the only word to describe the kid...impressive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBY_lsCjCT4

There's 4 or 5 catches in that highlight that really show what this kid can do...catches balls in contest with defenders, has pull-away speed, can go up and get it and catches in traffic....talk about a #1 prototype, coupled with his measurables yesterday at the Combine, I think he can sneak into the 2nd Round...too good to pass up, no pun intended there...

Mack getting a ton of praise from all the NFL network guys. Anyone know what his broad and vertical were? i think the LB's run in a few mins.

Got my own answer.. Mack was 10'8" and 40". impressive.

Edited by zow2

Wow...Aaron Donald with a 1.59 10-yard split at 290 lbs...that's amazing.

Unfathomably amazing, but I thought I read Donald's split at 1.65. If I missed that, I'm sorry.

GO BILLS!!!

Mack getting a ton of praise from all the NFL network guys. Anyone know what his broad and vertical were? i think the LB's run in a few mins.

Got my own answer.. Mack was 10'8" and 40". impressive.

Well, he's off to a GREAT start in answering ANY questions about his explosiveness. Nice to see.

GO BILLS!!!

Sorry if this has been brought up but I was watching the NFLN crew discussing Michael Sam, saying he was good but not elite. It got me thinking if there will be gay rights activists who will claim that Sam is being devalued because he's gay? Having him come out adds an unfortunate layer to his story. Will evaluators be accused of lowering evaluations gay players? I can see there being a kneejerk reaction like that.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Sorry if this has been brought up but I was watching the NFLN crew discussing Michael Sam, saying he was good but not elite. It got me thinking if there will be gay rights activists who will claim that Sam is being devalued because he's gay? Having him come out adds an unfortunate layer to his story. Will evaluators be accused of lowering evaluations gay players? I can see there being a kneejerk reaction like that.

PTR

There likely will be some of that--I think it will quickly be attenuated when his #s are compared to the other players in his class. I mean, he's not performing well in comparison to his peers...that's difficult to defend.

Not sure how we pass this guy up at #9. He's a longer, faster, Kyle Williams. Not a need position, but outside of some of the OT's, guy seems like the surest thing.

i would have absolutely no issue taking Donald at 9...none whatsoever.

In fact, that's an excellent idea.

Well it isn't a complete list but after finishing in the top 5 for SEC receiving and not producing much (I'm only using 2007 - 2010 to give them a chance to develop or not)

Jeff Fuller

TJ Moe

Shay Hodge

Darvin Adams

Greg Childs

Chase Coffman

Brandon Lafell

DJ Hall

Lucas Taylor

Kenny McKinley

So 10 out of 20 giving them a 50% success rate. It really isn't a great indicator when someone lights up the SEC at the WR position whether or not they will be successful at the next level.

This was going to be next point above but I will put it down here. It appeared to be a down year for defense in the SEC this year. Spread offenses have jumped ahead of defenses. Alabama was the only team in the conference that didn't give up 20+ points/game this last year. Meanwhile every team except Florida(!) averaged at least 20 points/game.

You're not comparing apples to apples here. You using the top 5. Evans was in the top 2, and given his tds, probably the best wr in the SEC. Also, Texas A & M and Missouri just joined the SEC 2 years ago. Now going by the top 2 receivers in the SEC, here's Evans' company:

2007 - Stevie Johnson, DJ Hall

2008 - AJ Green, Brandon Lafell, and 5 yards behind, Julio Jones

2009 - Shay hodge, Darvin Adams, (and 3rd was Riley the Racist who just had a career year) bad year

2010 - Alshon Jeffrey, Julio Jones (and Randall Cobb 3rd)

2011 - Jairus Wright, the great Da'Rick (and we all know he will be a HOF) bad year for wrs

2012 - Cobi Hamilton, Jordan Matthews, and Mike Evans

My take aways:

1) The Arkansas system made a lot of wrs. It's the same system that made Brian Brohm into a 2nd round pick.

2) If you are in the top 2 in SEC receiving and 6'4" or taller, you almost certainly are getting a legit receiver.

3) Even in a down defensive year for the SEC, it's still produces the most NFL defensive backs.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

There likely will be some of that--I think it will quickly be attenuated when his #s are compared to the other players in his class. I mean, he's not performing well in comparison to his peers...that's difficult to defend.

He handled himself pretty well at his press conference. Not going to help his forty time though.

You're not comparing apples to apples here. You using the top 5. Evans was in the top 2, and given his tds, probably the best wr in the SEC. Also, Texas A & M and Missouri just joined the SEC 2 years ago. Now going by the top 2 receivers in the SEC, here's Evans' company:

2007 - Stevie Johnson, DJ Hall

2008 - AJ Green, Brandon Lafell, and 5 yards behind, Julio Jones

2009 - Shay hodge, Darvin Adams, (and 3rd was Riley the Racist who just had a career year) bad year

2010 - Alshon Jeffrey, Julio Jones (and Randall Cobb 3rd)

2011 - Jairus Wright, the great Da'Rick (and we all know he will be a HOF) bad year for wrs

2012 - Cobi Hamilton, Jordan Matthews, and Mike Evans

My take aways:

1) The Arkansas system made a lot of wrs. It's the same system that made Brian Brohm into a 2nd round pick.

2) If you are in the top 2 in SEC receiving and 6'4" or taller, you almost certainly are getting a legit receiver.

3) Even in a down defensive year for the SEC, it's still produces the most NFL defensive backs.

Alright so to compare apples to apples using the same sample size 4 out of 8 haven't been successful in the NFL.

1) Yes it did but what is to say the T A&M system isn't the same? Swope's medical history didn't allow us to see whether or not he would be succesful and to date nobody else has gone from Sumlin's system while he has been a hc.

2) While that is true that is an incredibly small sample size, and I wouldn't be comfortable claiming it will always be true.

3) Are there stats to back this up? I've seen it a few times and wondered if there was a way to verify it. I'm not saying it is wrong just want some facts.

I won't dispute that the SEC puts out a lot of great talent each year but the part of your argument that I take exception to is that he succeeded in the SEC he will also do so in the NFL. That to me is too much like the player x went school y and they don't produce good qbs argument. Also according to drafttek the top corner from the SEC is the 6th best cb in the draft for fwiw. So again defense is really not as strong as it used to be in the SEC.

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter 4m

Former Colts GM Bill Polian just said on ESPN's NFL Insiders that he projects Eastern Illinois QB Jimmy Garoppolo to be a first-round pick.

WOW! That would be a helluva off season for him. From a 5th rounder at the Senior Bowl to 1st rounder after the combine?!!? Cha-Ching!