DC candidates

I doubt Wade's coming back, but I've found some interesting stats of his. He's coached a team with a top 10 defense (judged by yds) 7 of the last 8 years. He's also coached teams that were top 7 against the run 9 of the last 10 years (7 of those were top 5 and 4 were top 3). Say what you will, the guy knows how to coach defense.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't be so sure about Wade. He really wants to be a DC, and it sounds like he's not opposed to coming back.

Which seems to be the reasonable reaction? Holding a grudge for something 20 years ago, or getting the job you really want that you deserve with a bunch of good players in a city you like and loves you for a couple million dollars a year?

Which seems to be the reasonable reaction? Holding a grudge for something 20 years ago, or getting the job you really want that you deserve with a bunch of good players in a city you like and loves you for a couple million dollars a year?

I just cannot see them bringing Wade back. Pity the person who has to answer Ralph's question "Who is our DC now?"

I just hope the Bills' replacement plan for DC is not the same person who was responsible for backup QB last season.

Edited by Mr Info

I doubt Wade's coming back, but I've found some interesting stats of his. He's coached a team with a top 10 defense (judged by yds) 7 of the last 8 years. He's also coached teams that were top 7 against the run 9 of the last 10 years (7 of those were top 5 and 4 were top 3). Say what you will, the guy knows how to coach defense.

I too doubt he's coming back, but he definitely wants to. From his twitter (with another impressive stat):

@sonofbum

Wade Phillips@sonofbumJan 15

Disappointed not even an interview after 7 straight full seasons of top 10 D with 3 different teams. Last 5 times as D C= playoffs1st yr

IoLTRR-y_normal.jpegWade Phillips@sonofbumJan 22

Yes I would go back to where I have been before.I enjoyed and was treated well at all my stops. I just want to help a team win this year.

Only 32 DC jobs and 31 are taken

Edited by uncle flap

We don't have 3-4 personnel. Our LB corp is thin already. Wade would = massive change. I think that is wrong direction.

If we learned nothing about Wade from his time in Buffalo, he is flexible. He can coach the 4-3, or the 3-4.

That said, I don't think it is going to happen.

Doesn't anyone remember what happened when Wade was fired from Buffalo? First of all he had taken the Bills to the playoffs, losing to the Titans on that botched call. Then he refused to fire his assistant coach and then HE was fired for what Ralph called insubordination, and Ralph tried to get out of paying Wade for the remaining years of his contract, which goes against all normal NFL practice. Eventually

Ralph backed down and paid Wade, but the damage to the Bills' reputation around the league was done. That, and firing Polian and Butler. We have never been taken seriously again, for good reason considering Jeff Littman is still counting Ralph's beans and preventing spending the money needed to build a strong team.

Wade might come back to a city he enjoyed, but I doubt he'd come back to Ralph's organization. Ralph might be a good guy, but he's got real jerks working for him, and a lot of good coaches and execs won't consider working in Buffalo until ownership changes hands.

I too doubt he's coming back, but he definitely wants to. From his twitter (with another impressive stat):

@sonofbum

Wade Phillips@sonofbumJan 15

Disappointed not even an interview after 7 straight full seasons of top 10 D with 3 different teams. Last 5 times as D C= playoffs1st yr

Yes I would go back to where I have been before.I enjoyed and was treated well at all my stops. I just want to help a team win this year.

Only 32 DC jobs and 31 are taken

Wow, who knew Wade was such a prolific tweeter?

And probably why his defense was not as successful as he had in Buffalo

his defense was good enough to make the playoffs and prove you wrong that we dont have the players to run his scheme. We also have branch who enjoys taking on double teams who could play a 2 gap NT and dareus who also can do this but is more valuable as a pass rusher. But any way you look at it we are set up to run almost any defense known to man. Our players are all versatile Edited by kr632

I wouldn't be so sure about Wade. He really wants to be a DC, and it sounds like he's not opposed to coming back.

Look at the talent he's got on the defensive side here. He'd be hard-pressed to find a better landing spot as a DC.

Edited by bobobonators