Mike Pettine speculation-interviewing w Cleveland

mannc

Sarcasm aside, they do have a lot of talent. They have good offensive linemen, a good front seven, good receivers, and some good secondary players. They have weaknesses, to be sure, but they're not bereft of talent.

I believe they have talent but I wouldn't say a lot, I think the offense is relatively weak, they have 1 good receiver, nothing for a running game and no QB. Yes, the line is good and the defense is good. The problem, as with Bills, will they get the right QB and develop him.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My understanding is that Banner and Lombardi looked at the performance of the Browns in the second half of the season and felt that they performed worse. In contrast, other bad teams like Jax got better as the season went on despite possessing worse talent. They lost their last seven games, and only a couple were close. I don't think at this point that anyone would condemn Jax for firing Mularkey after one year. Sometimes, it's pretty clear if a guy isn't going to work out.

Another apparent issue is that the FO like Manziel a ton but Chud was against drafting him. If so, then that's a problem for Chud. I think Manziel is going to be a good, exciting player. I'm not sure he's going to be there at #4 at this point (he may go #1 overall), but if he is they'd be crazy not to take him.

Chud apparently didn't listen to the FO when they wanted him to cut a player and hold the locker room accountable. Which is definitely worrisome for all parties. Chud didn't want his FO's help, and the FO couldn't control or work with Chud. It was better for them to cut ties than to keep that toxic relationship afloat like Shanahan.

Sarcasm aside, they do have a lot of talent. They have good offensive linemen, a good front seven, good receivers, and some good secondary players. They have weaknesses, to be sure, but they're not bereft of talent.

I'll give you that they have a good LT...all 3 of their starting interior OLmen are UFAs; they have 1 good WR who is one mistake away from a year-long suspension. Joe Haden is a player, while Ward is a bit overrated in coverage (he's a very good tackler though).

A la bye week opponents I fully expect Brandon to file grievance over this cluster !@#$.

Process took way too long, put us at a competitive disadvantage to find replacement and we've had an asset poached hardly a year after he came aboard a rebuilding process.

Talk about kicked when you're already down. When's this !@#$ing team going to catch a !@#$ing break!?

Chud apparently didn't listen to the FO when they wanted him to cut a player and hold the locker room accountable. Which is definitely worrisome for all parties. Chud didn't want his FO's help, and the FO couldn't control or work with Chud. It was better for them to cut ties than to keep that toxic relationship afloat like Shanahan.

Yep. I agree.

A la bye week opponents I fully expect Brandon to file grievance over this cluster !@#$.Process took way too long, put us at a competitive disadvantage to find replacement and we've had an asset poached hardly a year after he came aboard a rebuilding process.Talk about kicked when you're already down. When's this !@#$ing team going to catch a !@#$ing break!?
Maybe it's my general disdain for the victim culture, but I'm reasonably sure you can't file a grievance about another team hiring one of your coaches after you gave said team and coach permission to discuss a coaching position. Edited by Campy

I believe they have talent but I wouldn't say a lot, I think the offense is relatively weak, they have 1 good receiver, nothing for a running game and no QB. Yes, the line is good and the defense is good. The problem, as with Bills, will they get the right QB and develop him.

Which good receiver were you referring to? Josh Gordon (arguably the best WR in football last year) or Jordan Cameron, the pro bowl tight end? There other receivers are pretty good, too. And how hard is it to find a RB? I would take the Browns' roster over the Bills in a second.

@SportsCenter

THIS JUST IN: Browns are expected to offer head-coaching job to Bills DC Mike Pettine. (via @AdamSchefter, @mortreport & @Edwerderespn)

yep looks like it's on like Donkey Kong

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000317026/article/cleveland-browns-attempting-to-hire-bills-defensive-coordinator-mike-pettine

Criticizing Pettine for possibly take this job is mind bottling to me.

It sucks from our perspective, but from his perspective it's a very good opportunity. He's got a roster with a good defense and some things to work with on offense. He's 47. He's going to get a huge, guaranteed, pay raise. He's going to a place that if he succeeds, he's a hero, if not, people will blame it on the FO or ownership. And there is NO guarantee he gets another opportunity.

Next year there will be a whole new set of "hot" coaching candidates. There will be Bill O'Brian's (college guys) and Gase's (coordinators) and Muncheks (former head coaches). Having a defense that's ranked 20th in scoring on a team that's 6-10 isn't exactly going to WOW anyone.

Edited by dubs

Pettine will get Browns to playoffs before Marrone gets Bills there.

That's my gut feeling right now as well. With their core (and with the cap space to keep who they want or add in FA), the way the front office has set themselves for future flexibility and more importantly this up and coming draft will be a game changer for that franchise.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Criticizing Pettine for possibly take this job is mind bottling to me.

It sucks from our perspective, but from his perspective it's a very good opportunity. He's got a roster with a good defense and some things to work with on offense. He's 47. He's going to get a huge, guaranteed, pay raise. He's going to a place that if he succeeds, he's a hero, if not, people will blame it on the FO or ownership. And there is NO guarantee he gets another opportunity.

Next year there will be a whole new set of "hot" coaching candidates. There will be Bill O'Brian's (college guys) and Gase's (coordinators) and Muncheks (former head coaches). Having a defense that's ranked 20th in scoring on a team that's 6-10 isn't exactly going to WOW anyone.

That's all well and good. He also is 20-30 days behind the competition in assembling a staff and may find that the Bills are reluctant to let any of the ones he's been closest to all year leave the team to join him at this late date.

In theory, yes, you take the job. In reality, he is not as set up for success as you suggest.