Mike Pettine speculation-interviewing w Cleveland

mannc

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless perhaps Pettine really wants to be head coach and win games. If you take a job with a dysfunctional franchise and fail miserably its a long wait until you get another shot at HC. You might not ever get another shot.

Agree... once you are a fired as a HC, you are looked at as damaged goods. Not saying he will be, but he has no experience and based on what we have seen thus far is being set up to fail. Yes, retreads are hired in the NFL as HCs. But the three retreads hired this year all had extensive HC resumes where they had taken teams to Super Bowls. It isn't automatic that you get hired again as a HC. This is why all these other guys said "Um, no thanks, I'll wait."

Something to add here: the "you take the job if it's there" mentality might have landed Jim Harbaugh here with the Bills. He declined to even interview around the time of Gailey's hiring from what I understand. Has anyone seen enough from our players to indicate that he would have had everything he needed to duplicate his success in SF? I do not.

He was right to pass on the opportunity. Sometimes you have to have enough pride to put yourself in the driver's seat. I don't think that the Browns at present constitute such an opportunity that a good person won't find something better, soon.

Unless perhaps Pettine really wants to be head coach and win games. If you take a job with a dysfunctional franchise and fail miserably its a long wait until you get another shot at HC. You might not ever get another shot.

Exactly the people that are focusing on the contract forget that the money is going to be there. If he is Head Coaching for money that he is in the wrong business. If Pettine actually wants to be a successful head coach that wins games the Browns Three Stooges have proven that they don't really get it. (Not that the Bills are much better but use another year of being a successful DC to get one of the 6 HC jobs that will open up next year, (it may even be Cleveland again))

That's the worst case scenario. Maybe he feels like he can win with that roster.

Oh well, I never thought Pettine was that great anyway. He looks like a football coach with his bald head and fierce scowl, though. His players got some gaudy stats last season at the expense of giving up too many big plays. The better coaches were able to exploit this weakness, and were able to tear apart our defense in many games.

If Bills fans are already downplaying him, it must be close to official.

Something to add here: the "you take the job if it's there" mentality might have landed Jim Harbaugh here with the Bills. He declined to even interview around the time of Gailey's hiring from what I understand. Has anyone seen enough from our players to indicate that he would have had everything he needed to duplicate his success in SF? I do not.

He was right to pass on the opportunity. Sometimes you have to have enough pride to put yourself in the driver's seat. I don't think that the Browns at present constitute such an opportunity that a good person won't find something better, soon.

Brian F'ing Schottenheimer refused to interview too. And those are just the two we know about. Amazing.

Good luck to him if he is to be named a NFL head coach. Only 32 such positions. Can remember years ago had friend drafted and made starting roster of the Kansas City Scouts. Recall him telling me he had made the NHL , it only the Kansas City Scouts, my response , he had made the big show, he having a position millions would kill for. I believe it so with Pettine. Seems to many when a player coach leave team the process begins to beat him down. Unfortunate. Good luck to him.

(that a man on Bills staff considered for head coaching position does speak well for Bills selecting such people)

Edited by millbank

If you don't understand at this point in time you never will.

Pettine will have opportunities to interview for HC next year but if he looks like a desperate puppy with no pride willing to take **** from a screwed up organization his value as a HC and leader goes down.

How is going to lead the team as the "Fall Back" Plan Head Coach?

No offense, but this is ridiculous. Cleveland has a decent roster except for QB, excellent draft position, and they're in good cap shape. Lombardi and Banner are good personnel guys too, and their reason for firing Chud - that the team actually got worse as the season went on - was entirely sound. Cut the cord now and move on - no point in prolonging the agony when you know how it's gonna end. Plus the division is in transition. The Bengals are on top now, but they just lost both of their coordinators and their QB remains a question mark. Neither the Browns nor the Ravens are elite teams at this point.

Edited by dave mcbride

Sure! I mean, the same front office did a sterling job turning its former #3 overall pick into a late-first-rounder two years later. What could go wrong?

Much better than what Bills got for the #11 busted pick :)

The odds are stacked against first time coaches, especially in dysfunctional franchises. But the opportunity to get on that head coaching carousel is too tempting to pass up when a spot opens up. Unless Pettine turns in a disaster performance, he'll also have a built in excuse that he was working for the Browns and will get another shot. It may be easier for him to land elsewhere than for someone like Spagnoulo, who had much higher expectations than Pettine would in Cleveland.

No offense, but this is ridiculous. Cleveland has a decent roster except for QB, excellent draft position, and they're in good cap shape. Lombardi and Banner are good personnel guys too, and their reason for firing Chud - that the team actually got worse as the season went on - was entirely sound. Cut the cord now and move on.

That is not why he was fired. He was fired because he wasn't a puppet. And Lombardi is not a good personnel guy. Banner is someone no GM wanted work for and that is why they had to bring in Lombardi, who isn't even a real GM there. He doesn't even show up for press conferences. They are both going to be gone next year anyway because Haslam hates them. I'm sorry, it is not a good situation.

I remember when everyone was laughing at Cleveland for trading Richardson a few months ago. I don't know, you add a defensive guy like Pettine, they have the ammo to move up and take whatever QB they want in draft, they have good players on offense and defense. At least they have 8 home games. Not sure, how Bills fans can laugh at anyone right now. Oakland and Jax probably only head coaching job worse than Bills. We were lucky last year to land a guy other teams were actually interested in.

The Richardson trade was a brilliant move.

Edited by dave mcbride

Sure! I mean, the same front office did a sterling job turning its former #3 overall pick into a late-first-rounder two years later. What could go wrong?

to be fair, they turned their #4, 4th round, 5th round, and 7th round into that #3 pick first, which makes it all the better. lucky they picked the oldest player ever taken in the first round with their other first rounder that year.

but despite being only 20 months ago, and 1 player being gone and the other being 30.... this 3rd head coach since those selections 20 months ago will likely right the ship for them and THESE 2 first rounders will be the ones to fix everything.

If you don't understand at this point in time you never will.

Pettine will have opportunities to interview for HC next year but if he looks like a desperate puppy with no pride willing to take **** from a screwed up organization his value as a HC and leader goes down.

How is going to lead the team as the "Fall Back" Plan Head Coach?

It's not like he's applying for the assistant manager job at Domino's. He's interviewing to be the head coach of an NFL football team. You don't roll up and demand a multi-million $$ contract and free reign over a billion $ organization just so a bunch of dissaffected pissants posting on message boards will think you don't look "weak." This could be the opportunity of a lifetime for him and no one that matters is looking at the situation through the same prism you are.

Edited by Rob's House

No offense, but this is ridiculous. Cleveland has a decent roster except for QB, excellent draft position, and they're in good cap shape. Lombardi and Banner are good personnel guys too, and their reason for firing Chud - that the team actually got worse as the season went on - was entirely sound. Cut the cord now and move on - no point in prolonging the agony when you know how it's gonna end. Plus the division is in transition. The Bengals are on top now, but they just lost both of their coordinators and their QB remains a question mark. Neither the Browns nor the Ravens are elite teams at this point.

This is exactly how I am looking at this situation as well. I actually like the personnel moves that this front office has made in their first year A LOT and will like the Browns future even more if they hire Pettine.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

No offense, but this is ridiculous. Cleveland has a decent roster except for QB, excellent draft position, and they're in good cap shape. Lombardi and Banner are good personnel guys too, and their reason for firing Chud - that the team actually got worse as the season went on - was entirely sound. Cut the cord now and move on. Plus the division is in transition. The Bengals are on top now, but they just lost both of their coordinators and their QB remains a question mark. Neither the Browns nor the Ravens are elite teams at this point.

I agree. The roster is not that bad and with their position in the draft, they have a chance to be very competitive. I laugh at people on here who think DC of the Bills is a better spot than HC anywhere. If Pettine becomes coach and wins, he solidifies his place as a HC. If they don't win, his people can say it was an effed up FO and organization. He'd get another DC position in a heartbeat.

I take the massive pay raise and promotion, if I am Pettine, absolutely. It's not like he's leaving a perennial winner to go to a sorry franchise.

No offense, but this is ridiculous. Cleveland has a decent roster except for QB, excellent draft position, and they're in good cap shape. Lombardi and Banner are good personnel guys too, and their reason for firing Chud - that the team actually got worse as the season went on - was entirely sound.

Despite the lack of talent at the QB position?

I disagree.