Mike Pettine speculation-interviewing w Cleveland

mannc

to be fair, they turned their #4, 4th round, 5th round, and 7th round into that #3 pick first, which makes it all the better. lucky they picked the oldest player ever taken in the first round with their other first rounder that year.

but despite being only 20 months ago, and 1 player being gone and the other being 30.... this 3rd head coach since those selections 20 months ago will likely right the ship for them and THESE 2 first rounders will be the ones to fix everything.

New regime. Lombardi and Banner are a LOT sharper about personnel than the previous regime. That team is a QB away from being good. They were 9th in defense last season (1 spot better than the Bills) and 18th in offense. Give them a QB, and they're reasonably set.

to be fair, they turned their #4, 4th round, 5th round, and 7th round into that #3 pick first, which makes it all the better. lucky they picked the oldest player ever taken in the first round with their other first rounder that year.

but despite being only 20 months ago, and 1 player being gone and the other being 30.... this 3rd head coach since those selections 20 months ago will likely right the ship for them and THESE 2 first rounders will be the ones to fix everything.

New regime. Lombardi and Banner are a LOT sharper about personnel than the previous regime. That team is a QB away from being good. They were 9th in defense last season (1 spot better than the Bills) and 18th in offense. Give them a QB, and they're reasonably set.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and will like them even more if they hire Pettine.

how do you reconcile that pettine was a smart choice, with the fact that he seems to be the 14th guy on the list and couldve been hired day 1 and had a pool of coordinators and such to choose from instead of waiting a month?

Edited by NoSaint

Agree completely that if they land a QB in this draft they can easily be a playoff team in a year. Add to that all the cap space, picks they have set themselves up to be competitive for many and many years. There is a ton of flexibility in this roster.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Good luck G.O.A.T.E.E.

Yep! Except when they play at The Ralph this year - and, naturally - when they meet in the playoffs.

Agree completely that if they land a QB in this draft they can easily be a playoff team in a year. Add to that all the cap space, picks they can remain compettive for many and many years.

Browns fans need positive people like you. They are drinking bleach right now. Please help them.

It's not like he's applying for the assistant manager job at Domino's. He's interviewing to be the head coach of an NFL football team. You don't roll up and demand a multi-million $$ contract and free reign over a billion $ organization just so a bunch of dissaffected pissants posting on message boards will think you don't look "weak." This could be the opportunity of a lifetime for him and no one that matters is looking at the situation through the same prism you are.

What are you smoking?

Rob you're not in the house I think you're somewhere in outer space.

Who is talking about Demands? It is an opportunity but if had any confidence he would know that there will be better opportunities in the near future.

Many prominent decision makers see the situation very similarly. i.e. Jim Harbaugh lived it.

They have the #4, #26, #35, #71, and #83 picks this year - five in the first three rounds. They should be able to land a QB, especially given that there's no way that Clowney drops out of the top 3.

We're talking about two different things. You're talking about how Pettine should get more QB talent this year. That's fine. I'm referring to their quickness to ditch the HC when it was clear that he DIDN'T have enough talent to work with.

It's not like he's applying for the assistant manager job at Domino's. He's interviewing to be the head coach of an NFL football team. You don't roll up and demand a multi-million $$ contract and free reign over a billion $ organization just so a bunch of dissaffected pissants posting on message boards will think you don't look "weak." This could be the opportunity of a lifetime for him and no one that matters is looking at the situation through the same prism you are.

No you are suppose to do your due diligence before you fire your head coach. That is why every other team has already hired coaches. The FO should have a list of names and have the vetted even before the first interview. I do not disagree with you that this is a lifetime opportunity, however, that does not make the coaching search look any less bush league when compared the how other teams perform coaching searching. This issue goes back to last year when they did the same sort of search and ended with Chud.

We're talking about two different things. You're talking about how Pettine should get more QB talent this year. That's fine. I'm referring to their quickness to ditch the HC when it was clear that he DIDN'T have enough talent to work with.

Yes but there is obviously loads of talent in Cleveland.

Obviously.

No offense, but this is ridiculous. Cleveland has a decent roster except for QB, excellent draft position, and they're in good cap shape. Lombardi and Banner are good personnel guys too, and their reason for firing Chud - that the team actually got worse as the season went on - was entirely sound. Cut the cord now and move on - no point in prolonging the agony when you know how it's gonna end. Plus the division is in transition. The Bengals are on top now, but they just lost both of their coordinators and their QB remains a question mark. Neither the Browns nor the Ravens are elite teams at this point.

Its clearly not ridiculous to think that firing your Head Coach after one year and then desperately searching for anyone willing to take the gig is a bad idea.

Just ask any of the Browns players. Yes they have Talent but the FO is a mess.

It is actually reasonable to stay away from this HC position just asked all the candidates that refuse to interview or bowed out of the "competition".

Edited by Why So Serious?

My understanding is that Banner and Lombardi looked at the performance of the Browns in the second half of the season and felt that they performed worse. In contrast, other bad teams like Jax got better as the season went on despite possessing worse talent. They lost their last seven games, and only a couple were close. I don't think at this point that anyone would condemn Jax for firing Mularkey after one year. Sometimes, it's pretty clear if a guy isn't going to work out.

Another apparent issue is that the FO like Manziel a ton but Chud was against drafting him. If so, then that's a problem for Chud. I think Manziel is going to be a good, exciting player. I'm not sure he's going to be there at #4 at this point (he may go #1 overall), but if he is they'd be crazy not to take him.

on the brightside, theyve effectively made sure that the HC will struggle a bit extra to find a premiere OC and offensive staff to bring the qb of the future along (not just because of the poor timing but i assume much like the HC search had a lot of "no" answers, im sure coordinators will likewise be hesitant, even if available).... especially unfortunate since they seem to be settling on a guy they couldve targeted day 1 and avoided the circus, given him a bigger pool to fish for coordinators in, and made the whole situation look a lot more stable/appealing.

or they couldve just stuck with Chud.

Edited by NoSaint

Yes but there is obviously loads of talent in Cleveland.

Obviously.

Sarcasm aside, they do have a lot of talent. They have good offensive linemen, a good front seven, good receivers, and some good secondary players. They have weaknesses, to be sure, but they're not bereft of talent.