Mike Pettine speculation-interviewing w Cleveland

mannc

That's all well and good. He also is 20-30 days behind the competition in assembling a staff and may find that the Bills are reluctant to let any of the ones he's been closest to all year leave the team to join him at this late date.

In theory, yes, you take the job. In reality, he is not as set up for success as you suggest.

You are right, I am not suggesting that he's walking into coaching the Patriots, Broncos, or Seattle.

Most job openings are going to have warts. That's why there's an opening. I agree with you, there are definitely some risks and obstacles that he's going to have to overcome, but I just think if I were in his shoes, I'd be willing to take those risks and would feel that I was able to take on the challenge.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aside from the dysfunctional FO the Browns are sitting pretty with 2 1st rounders and some really good young talent.

I wish Pettine and the Browns well. Browns fans are a lot like Bills fans, and you can't be mad at a guy for taking a promotion to his dream gig.

You can, however, pity him for going to the Browns.

That's all well and good. He also is 20-30 days behind the competition in assembling a staff and may find that the Bills are reluctant to let any of the ones he's been closest to all year leave the team to join him at this late date.

In theory, yes, you take the job. In reality, he is not as set up for success as you suggest.

I agree, they do not need to let any of them out of their contracts, and with how long this process took, they very well may choose to keep them all. If I had to take a guess, I think they let him have O'Neill and a fruit basket and tell him they'll see him at the Ralph in the fall for the annual Bills-Browns last place in the division matchup.

You are right, I am not suggesting that he's walking into coaching the Patriots, Broncos, or Seattle.

Most job openings are going to have warts. That's why there's an opening. I agree with you, there are definitely some risks and obstacles that he's going to have to overcome, but I just think if I were in his shoes, I'd be willing to take those risks and would feel that I was able to take on the challenge.

True, but some can be fixed.

He is 47. He actually is guaranteed to get another shot at HC. There are 6 openings on average every year.

He must think he is the smartest Man in the room since the rest of the candidates seem to have bowed out.

Donnie Henderson came with Marrone from Syracuse. he has previously been a DC for the jets & lions.

The good news is. I'm pretty sure the Bills expected to have Pettine for 2-3 years before he left as a HC. At least that was an obvious contingency so if they were smart they were working to develope someone to understand that attacking strategy that will stay on the team.

He is 47. He actually is guaranteed to get another shot at HC. There are 6 openings on average every year.

He must think he is the smartest Man in the room since the rest of the candidates seem to have bowed out.

Guaranteed?!?! Wow, you certainly a glass half-full guy.

Nothing in life is guaranteed, especially in the uber competitive NFL and when it's highly dependent on the performance of the Bills.

Criticizing Pettine for possibly take this job is mind bottling to me.

It sucks from our perspective, but from his perspective it's a very good opportunity. He's got a roster with a good defense and some things to work with on offense. He's 47. He's going to get a huge, guaranteed, pay raise. He's going to a place that if he succeeds, he's a hero, if not, people will blame it on the FO or ownership. And there is NO guarantee he gets another opportunity.

Next year there will be a whole new set of "hot" coaching candidates. There will be Bill O'Brian's (college guys) and Gase's (coordinators) and Muncheks (former head coaches). Having a defense that's ranked 20th in scoring on a team that's 6-10 isn't exactly going to WOW anyone.

great movie....nicely done...can't really blame Pettine...shame on the Bills for not trying to put him in a positon to stay put for another year or two with a great salary or fluffy title...they had to think teams might be interested in him...good luck to him....

Criticizing Pettine for possibly take this job is mind bottling to me.

It sucks from our perspective, but from his perspective it's a very good opportunity. He's got a roster with a good defense and some things to work with on offense. He's 47. He's going to get a huge, guaranteed, pay raise. He's going to a place that if he succeeds, he's a hero, if not, people will blame it on the FO or ownership. And there is NO guarantee he gets another opportunity.

Next year there will be a whole new set of "hot" coaching candidates. There will be Bill O'Brian's (college guys) and Gase's (coordinators) and Muncheks (former head coaches). Having a defense that's ranked 20th in scoring on a team that's 6-10 isn't exactly going to WOW anyone.

reading this post is "mind-bottling" to me ...... :wallbash:

Just breaking your balls Dubs, that was too easy to not jump on

I'll chalk this one up to...It could only happen to the Bills...

I mean...I'm not going to do the research or read back in these 70 pages to see if it was already discussed, but I certainly can't remember a Coordinator from a 6-10 team getting an NFL Head Coaching gig...Am I missing something? Only the Bills...I swear this team is beyond cursed... B-)

I mean...I'm not going to do the research or read back in these 70 pages to see if it was already discussed, but I certainly can't remember a Coordinator from a 6-10 team getting an NFL Head Coaching gig...Am I missing something? Only the Bills...I swear this team is beyond cursed... B-)

If we did not have bad luck, we would not have any luck at all. (To paraphrase Cream)

I now hate the Browns. Their total ineptitude screws us..............Like you said, it's got to the only time this has happened!...........My friends and I had been saying that one good thing about the record was that nobody would be poaching Pettine yet.

If we did not have bad luck, we would not have any luck at all. (To paraphrase Cream)

Exactly... :mellow:

I now hate the Browns. Their total ineptitude screws us..............Like you said, it's got to the only time this has happened!...........My friends and I had been saying that one good thing about the record was that nobody would be poaching Pettine yet.

The way this whole thing played out...It's like a bad dream...Like I said...Only the freaking Bills...I swear following this team is akin to self inflicted abuse...If I did not have 45 years invested...Well...Who am I kidding...I'm going down with this ship regardless... :doh: