Mike Pettine speculation-interviewing w Cleveland

mannc

I guess my F5 button will break sometime early this afternoon:

Will Burge@WillBurge 9h

League source confirms to me Mike Pettine coming to Cleveland tomorrow. He arrives around 1pm #Browns

That was posted last night. He also tweeted a few minutes ago that Pettine is on a 12:32 Delta flight to CLE!

EDIT: I just checked and it doesn't look like Delta flies from BUF to CLE direct, and there is no early afternoon departure offered even with a connection! Bozo.

Edited by l< j

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all over. A third interview isn't needed, it's a contract discussion and evening presser. Why would Pettine go to Cleveland for a third interview, there is no logical explanation for them to need to talk again other than a contract.

Personally, I think it's a mistake for Pettine. He'd have more chances down the road but the nexus of arrogance and fear of this being his only shot is where bad decisions are made.

Will Burge@WillBurge 9h

League source confirms to me Mike Pettine coming to Cleveland tomorrow. He arrives around 1pm #Browns

That was posted last night. He also tweeted a few minutes ago that Pettine is on a 12:32 Delta flight to CLE!

Tail number? Manifest link?

Personally, I think it's a mistake for Pettine. He'd have more chances down the road but the nexus of arrogance and fear of this being his only shot is where bad decisions are made.

I think I agree, I think.

Look at Ron Rolston and the Sabres. Taking the Sabres' job when he did may have caused irreparable damage to his NHL coaching career. The Browns are a disaster and (the new version) always has been. The Bills arent a great place either, but at least he is a DC with a glut of talent to work with and continue to make a name. His name has been rolled out there in the media through this and he has had some interview practice. I would punt and wait for the 10 jobs that open next year. There has got to be a better situation than Cleveland.

Will Burge@WillBurge 9h

EDIT: I just checked and it doesn't look like Delta flies from BUF to CLE direct, and there is no early afternoon departure offered even with a connection! Bozo.

I wonder if he is flying from Mobile to Cleveland?

By the way, way to roll out the red carpet, Cleveland. We grab Marrone in a private jet, and Cleveland tells Pettine to hop on Delta. I wonder if he's taking that blue shared shuttle from the airport to the stadium.

It's all over. A third interview isn't needed, it's a contract discussion and evening presser. Why would Pettine go to Cleveland for a third interview, there is no logical explanation for them to need to talk again other than a contract.

I understand Cleveland doing their due diligence, but good God, a third interview?

I had a doughnut. It totally blew my diet. So I had another.

In other news. I think Pettine is gone. I think we would be foolish not to bring Wade back. Maybe in a few years if Marrone struggles and gets canned. I'd honestly hire him back to HC. Maybe after that get Lou Saban, too.

Honestly in my professional life, if I interviewed for a job and kept getting strung along with more and more interviews and there were media reports of others walking away from the job...I would withdraw from consideration...something just doesn't feel right about that situation. I know many people say there are only 32 of them and you have to take them when they come up. I wouldn't rush to go into a joke of a franchise; get canned and never have a shot again. They are so late to hire anyone, there are no viable assistants out there now. That is not a good situation...get a job a week or so after black Monday, you are in a better position...

This. And I can almost guarantee you, with another solid season under his watch and other teams creating coaching vacancies next year, Pettine will not only be a great candidate, he will get to choose the team he goes to next year. He would be naive (and perhaps a little stupid, since he's pretty much the only candidate who hasn't recognized the toxicity of the Browns situation) to think he won't have a better situation next year.

ProFootballTalk@ProFootballTalk 10m

Packers could block Alex Van Pelt from moving on http://wp.me/p14QSB-9oCz

Welp.. looks like Pettine may need to look no further than Turk Schonert for his OC now...

I wonder if he is flying from Mobile to Cleveland?

By the way, way to roll out the red carpet, Cleveland. We grab Marrone in a private jet, and Cleveland tells Pettine to hop on Delta. I wonder if he's taking that blue shared shuttle from the airport to the stadium.

Just goes right along with the red carpet treatment he has gotten so far.... clowns.

I had a doughnut. It totally blew my diet. So I had another.

In other news. I think Pettine is gone. I think we would be foolish not to bring Wade back. Maybe in a few years if Marrone struggles and gets canned. I'd honestly hire him back to HC. Maybe after that get Lou Saban, too.

Exactly, the bright side in all this is that Pettine will likely be available in 1-2 years when we have our own head coach vacancy.

If I were Russ though, I would mail Pettine a 5 million dollar check in exchange for him withdrawing his name this year only.

Edited by kas23

He's the head coach of the Browns. Wikipedia just updated, and i heard from someone i know in Cleveland.

Best of luck Mike!

I'll believe it only after Tim Graham tweets it, then retracts, then re-tweets confirmation from an actual source and then takes credit for his first false tweet.

This. And I can almost guarantee you, with another solid season under his watch and other teams creating coaching vacancies next year, Pettine will not only be a great candidate, he will get to choose the team he goes to next year. He would be naive (and perhaps a little stupid, since he's pretty much the only candidate who hasn't recognized the toxicity of the Browns situation) to think he won't have a better situation next year.

I once interviewed for a job for 6 months before I actually received an offer. During that time I probably had about 15 interviews with 12 different people. Ultimately I took the job. I don't think it's that unusual. What is unusual is that it's in the public eye and millions of people have a vested interest in this because they are fans.

I want Pettine to stay, badly, but I don't think it's a disaster for Buffalo if he leaves.

I also believe that Pettine needs to take this opportunity, despite the risks. Other than ownership, I think it's a pretty good situation. He probably believes that in a fairly weak AFC North, he has a chance to take that team and compete for a division title. If he does that, there is no way he gets fired in 1 year.