Mike Pettine speculation-interviewing w Cleveland

mannc

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No deal last night, despite the guy on twitter (who had earlier said that his sources told him that Quinn was a done deal), and despite the tweets of actual reporters. Another interview scheduled for today, other candidates being given a first look.

My guess is that Quinn is the guy after all. My hope is that Pettine will see (or feel, even if it isn't accurate) that he isn't the #1 candidate and decide to stay put.

kj

No deal last night, despite the guy on twitter (who had earlier said that his sources told him that Quinn was a done deal), and despite the tweets of actual reporters. Another interview scheduled for today, other candidates being given a first look.

My guess is that Quinn is the guy after all. My hope is that Pettine will see (or feel, even if it isn't accurate) that he isn't the #1 candidate and decide to stay put.

kj

I think you're right about Quinn being the real target, which seems at least slightly buttressed by this:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/22/signs-point-to-pettine-but-browns-interviewing-today/

I'll say it again, in a different way --- would we all be so concerned and worried if Doug Marrone was given permission to talk to the Browns ? . . . . ask yourself that question . . . . promote Pettine to HC and fire Marrone !

Since it's 100% not happening, I'm not sure it's worth mentioning again.

I'll say it again, in a different way --- would we all be so concerned and worried if Doug Marrone was given permission to talk to the Browns ? . . . . ask yourself that question . . . . promote Pettine to HC and fire Marrone !

So you're saying you DON'T like Marrone??

If the bills gave their current HC permission to interview for another HC job, I would officially be done with the team because I don't know it what world that would make any sense. I am not a Hackett fan, but I honestly would worry him leaving and bringing in a new OC because it would probably hurt EJ's development. Swapping out OCs over and over has done a ton of damage to young QBs.

If the browns don't make him an offer today, I am leaning toward pettine staying. After two interviews, and they still don't know if he is the guy, then they really have no idea what they are doing. In all honesty, they were stupid to fire their HC after one year.

If the Bills had (2nd) interviewed a coach for hours, and then let him leave without closing a deal...........................

We would be in an uproar that we had "lost" him.

Hopefully Cleveland has.............

If the Bills had (2nd) interviewed a coach for hours, and then let him leave without closing a deal...........................

We would be in an uproar that we had "lost" him.

Hopefully Cleveland has.............

At this point, Pettine would probably get a better job next year. His name is now out there as a legit head coaching candidate so he'll demand plenty of interviews next year. His best move might be to pull name out of process when it looks like job was his for the taking, instead of potentially being passed over.

So you're saying you DON'T like Marrone??

I'm saying the best thing Marrone has done as Bills HC that I can point to is hiring Pettine, I really can't think of anything else, can you ? --- if Pettine were never here, would we all feel differently about Marrone as a HC ? ---- I'm saying, Pettine might be the next Belichick or the next Payton, in other words, the great coordinator that becomes a great HC --- do I like Marrone ? --- I do -- but I don't think he is or will ever be a great HC --- I don't want to settle, especially if I think we have the next great HC on staff already ---- CLEARLY --- by the 47+ pages of comments on this thread, the vast majority of Bills fans believe he is a great DC ---- not sure, we'd have 47+ pages on Marrone as a great HC ---- or Marrone as a great OC !! ---

I think you're right about Quinn being the real target, which seems at least slightly buttressed by this:

http://profootballta...rviewing-today/

Oh snap, Mary Cabot Lodge called out Graham and Gaughan, calling their reports "premature." Timmy usually doesn't take criticism well, do I sense a twitter war brewing?

I expected to wake up this morning to some real news. This is like Mario signing and Merriman border story combined.

At least we have something to F5 during this part of the season.

LOL...I'm waiting for Richard Sherman to chime in on Pettine...then the real fireworks will start.

Oh snap, Mary Cabot Lodge called out Graham and Gaughan, calling their reports "premature." Timmy usually doesn't take criticism well, do I sense a twitter war brewing?

This may deserve its own thread....."Tim Takes Tattas to Task for Terrible Take on Troubled and Torched Team"

kj

If Pettine doesn't already understand he's not their #1 candidate, then I'm not sure he possesses the acumen to lead a defense. I think he's their #6 choice. But he said YES, so he's looking like the fat girl at closing time to the Browns.

GO BILLS!!!

LOL...I'm waiting for Richard Sherman to chime in on Pettine...then the real fireworks will start.

That would be awesome. And not implausible-- Sherman comes to the defense of Quinn:

"Pettine is a medicore defensive coach; and when you go up against a guy like Quinn, all you're going to get are a bunch of false twitter rumors. Pettine: don't you open your mouth, or Quinn is going to shut it for you real quick."

If Pettine doesn't already understand he's not their #1 candidate, then I'm not sure he possesses the acumen to lead a defense. I think he's their #6 choice. But he said YES, so he's looking like the fat girl at closing time to the Browns.

GO BILLS!!!

Lot's of bad takes in this thread.

Just let it go. Teams want guys like Pettine who have not only proven themselves in the NFL but who have grown up around coaching. Belichick, the Harbaugh's, Gruden etc.. Pettine is ready and he should take it if given a chance.

GO BILLS!!!

I had this exact thought last night... it is like Haslam, Lombardi and Banner are standing in the bar at 2am and thinking "Welp, Miss America ain't walking through that door...."

Lot's of bad takes in this thread.

Just let it go. Teams want guys like Pettine who have not only proven themselves in the NFL but who have grown up around coaching. Belichick, the Harbaugh's, Gruden etc.. Pettine is ready and he should take it if given a chance.

Don't you mean "Team" in the singular sense? Only one team has shown any interest in him at the HC level.Ever.

That would be awesome. And not implausible-- Sherman comes to the defense of Quinn:

"Pettine is a medicore defensive coach; and when you go up against a guy like Quinn, all you're going to get are a bunch of false twitter rumors. Pettine: don't you open your mouth, or Quinn is going to shut it for you real quick."

Well done.

GO BILLS!!!

OK, we now have one vote to fire Pettine.