So sick of Manning and Brady

ALLEN1QB

It's hard to NOT put an asterisk next to the Patriots in the record books. Their defense was ranked 1st, 2nd, and 6th in the years they won the Superbowl. The years that they were caught cheating and all evidence simply destroyed by the NFL before anyone could really look at anything. That said, only an idiot would argue that Tom Brady is just an average quarterback. In the 9 years that the new and much more comprehensive QBR has been tracked, Brady has lead the league 2 times. Aaron Rodgers won it 1 time. The other 5 were all Peyton Manning. Apart from the pure numbers game, Peyton Manning is calling his own plays on the field. All the chicken and egg theory in the world won't win you arguments in terms of good WR's making QB's good and vice a versa. Did Peyton benefit from having Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison all those years? Sure. Wes Welker, Randy Moss, Rob Gronkowski, and Aaron Hernandez were no slouches either. With all of the injuries, this was still a good year for Brady. The Patriots did spread the ball around a lot more than in the past. What did Eric Decker and Demaryius Thomas do before Manning? 32 and 44 receptions. 22 for Thomas the year before that with mostly Orton throwing to him. What did they do with Manning this year? 92 and 87 receptions. 3 other guys BESIDES them had 60+ receptions. Superbowls and wins are functions of teams with contributions from 55+ players and a host of coaching staff. I would none the less argue that while both of these guys will be HOF first ballet entrants, Manning is clearly the better signal caller.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been a lifelong Bills fan. Grew up despising the Dolphins for their ten year win streak against us. Now that I'm older, I find I don't begrudge New England just because they've dominated us. Instead, I wish we could be more like them. In short I'm jealous of the success they've had. But I'm not mad at them, or Brady, and I can't understand anyone who says he sucks or doesn't deserve his success. Instead, I'm mad at our organization for not getting their act together for the past 20 years.

With the Bills out I'm planning to enjoy the matchup, and hope it's an exciting one that goes down to the wire. Congratulations Patriots and Broncos, Brady and Manning - you've earned your right to battle it out for the AFC Championship. Give us a good show!

Because many of the posters here are very bitter and angry about Bradys success. The jealousy and hate for him can make this forum unreadable at times.

Because many of the posters here are very bitter and angry about Bradys success. The jealousy and hate for him can make this forum unreadable at times.

I recognize Bill as the best coach in nfl history. See I have no problem saying that. I think it's true. However, when it comes to Brady, I think he is just above average. With him here in buffalo we would have gone to 1 maybe 2 playoff games in the last 10 years. With Manning we would have gone 6 years out of 10. Manning is just that good!

Im sorry that I dont think he's god like some bill's fans do????

It's hard to NOT put an asterisk next to the Patriots in the record books. Their defense was ranked 1st, 2nd, and 6th in the years they won the Superbowl. The years that they were caught cheating and all evidence simply destroyed by the NFL before anyone could really look at anything. That said, only an idiot would argue that Tom Brady is just an average quarterback. In the 9 years that the new and much more comprehensive QBR has been tracked, Brady has lead the league 2 times. Aaron Rodgers won it 1 time. The other 5 were all Peyton Manning. Apart from the pure numbers game, Peyton Manning is calling his own plays on the field. All the chicken and egg theory in the world won't win you arguments in terms of good WR's making QB's good and vice a versa. Did Peyton benefit from having Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison all those years? Sure. Wes Welker, Randy Moss, Rob Gronkowski, and Aaron Hernandez were no slouches either. With all of the injuries, this was still a good year for Brady. The Patriots did spread the ball around a lot more than in the past. What did Eric Decker and Demaryius Thomas do before Manning? 32 and 44 receptions. 22 for Thomas the year before that with mostly Orton throwing to him. What did they do with Manning this year? 92 and 87 receptions. 3 other guys BESIDES them had 60+ receptions. Superbowls and wins are functions of teams with contributions from 55+ players and a host of coaching staff. I would none the less argue that while both of these guys will be HOF first ballet entrants, Manning is clearly the better signal caller.

+1

Cherry picking stats can lead one to many ignorant evaluations.

Brady is a HOF QB. Easily. He is arguably top 5 of all time. To you he is slightly above average. Maybe your perceptions have been dulled by hatred or perhaps you once happened upon the cable guy.

What did he do this weekend? Handoff all day and throw a bunch of cross paterns?? Yeah he's really great. Barf.

How about the play where he ducked and fell to the ground before being touched. Omg. That was funny.

Did anyone see this? Please say yes somebody.

I recognize Bill as the best coach in nfl history. See I have no problem saying that. I think it's true. However, when it comes to Brady, I think he is just above average. With him here in buffalo we would have gone to 1 maybe 2 playoff games in the last 10 years. With Manning we would have gone 6 years out of 10. Manning is just that good!

+1

What did he do this weekend? Handoff all day and throw a bunch of cross paterns?? Yeah he's really great. Barf.

How about the play where he ducked and fell to the ground before being touched. Omg. That was funny.

Do you realize Belichick's record pre-Brady WAS WORSE THAN DICK JAURON'S???

Brady has become a stuck up whiner over the years. People use that season where Cassell started as a knock against him. Cassell made a pro bowl and took the Chiefs to the playoffs. Also, it was a 5 win drop off from the previous years.

Here's a list of 1st round picked skill players Manning played with in Indy (Gonzalez, Addai, Edge, Harrison. Wayne, Brown, Clark). Here's a list of 1st round picked skill players Brady played with (Maroney). I also heard a stat that Manning has played indoors something like 120 times while Brady has played inside like 20.

I'm a giant homer. I hate the bandwagon fans that make up more than half of the NE fanbase. But Brady is one of the greatest to ever play the game.

P.S. The Bills have gone 6-10/ 7-9 with Fitz, Edwards, and Losman. IF you simply flipped QBs, we'd be an annual playoff team. It's really that simple.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

This makes the forum unreadable? It's football. Fans of the Bills are able to talk about these things on a Bills message board. They aren't talking about their family members, friends, or workplace. It's just football. They don't hatehim as a person. They hate him as a division rival. It is normal. The hate of our own players is what I think can make the board "unreadable" at times... but I'll still read. :flirt:

+1

You really don't get it. You continue to cherry-pick moments in time to prove something so slanted as to be absurd. Brady has near zero mobility, is old and continues to win. He is an incredibly accurate passer and great decision maker. Statistically he is an all time great.

It is tough to respect an opinion of someone who truly believes Brady is a bit better than average. If he had been a Bill all these years you would revere him. Your hatred of the Pats has fogged your brain.

/

This makes the forum unreadable? It's football. Fans of the Bills are able to talk about these things on a Bills message board. They aren't talking about their family members, friends, or workplace. It's just football. They don't hatehim as a person. They hate him as a division rival. It is normal. The hate of our own players is what I think can make the board "unreadable" at times... but I'll still read. :flirt:

If anyone can identify with disliking a team it's me. I suffered through the whole 70's thing with Miami. But never did I find a way to blame all the Bills problems on Don Shula or Bob Greise. Did I feel the ref's made calls Miamis way? damn right I did. But did I see a vast rigging of the NFL? No I saw

ref's that where maybe a little afraid of Shula- not wanting "the jaw" in their face. Also I get tired of the endless 'cheating" remarks. They taped some defensive hand signals. Oh whoopee do. If that was a Pats invention, why is it that since I started watching the NFL in 1971, OC's and DC's always cover their lips when calling plays?

** If anyone can identify with disliking a team it's me. I suffered through the whole 70's thing with Miami. But never did I find a way to blame all the Bills problems on Don Shula or Bob Greise. Did I feel the ref's made calls Miamis way? damn right I did. But did I see a vast rigging of the NFL? No I saw

ref's that where maybe a little afraid of Shula- not wanting "the jaw" in their face. Also I get tired of the endless 'cheating" remarks. They taped some defensive hand signals. Oh whoopee do. If that was a Pats invention, why is it that since I started watching the NFL in 1971, OC's and DC's always cover their lips when calling plays?

Yeah, I don't get into the cheating stuff much (although Bellicheat has a nice ring to it), I just like to dislike anything Pats* related. Or Jets related. Or Phins related. But mostly Pats* related.

Cherry picking stats can lead one to many ignorant evaluations.

Brady is a HOF QB. Easily. He is arguably top 5 of all time. To you he is slightly above average. Maybe your perceptions have been dulled by hatred or perhaps you once happened upon the cable guy.

Its a lot easier to swallow when you recognize/admit this.

It used to drive me crazy early in his career. Like the Rams Superbowl when he had like 140 passing yards and got most of the credit for the win. It looked like he was a good game-manager with a really good gameplan and a SUPER offensive line and opportunistic D and ST. Even when he started putting up numbers, it always seemed like the gameplan would call for a little 4 yard slant and the receiver would gain an extra 30 yards.

Then there was the Randy Moss years, when they were the most dominant, but never won the Super Bowl. Statistics show that Brady padded his stats in blowouts like no other. That also P-ed me off.

I also think he is the beneficiary of a very large amount of roughing the passer and PI calls. He has the nerve to complain when things dont go his way which grates the nerves.

But he has been doing it in all conditions, with all sorts of supporting casts for almost a decade and a half. One injury that cost a season. A lot of it is Belichick and gameplan, but you also need a special QB to run with it and execute. I think that the Pats go downhill pretty steeply when Brady hangs them up. Top 5 of all time I agree with. I would rank Elway and Manning over him no doubt. He is in a category with Favre, Montana, Brady, Marino, Young, Unitas, Staubach, Bradshaw, and maybe Brees. I would say that modern era QBs are much better than the past. If Brady played in the 60s with his knowledge and training, etc, he would probably be considered the Babe Ruth of football. I think that translates right up through Young.

Even i hate to admit it,but Brady is a top ten all time QB, in some opinions top 5. There is a ton of hatred because he's a patriot and he's a pretty boy etc, the fact is he knows how to win games and that's something that can't be taken away from him.

So more Super Bowl rings = better QB?

Super Bowl rings and historical playoff performance matter the most to me, it's all about winning, And yes, I think Bradshaw and Aikman are criminally underrated, I would take either of them in their prime in a playoff game over Fouts, Moon, Marino, or P-Gump. I give P-Gump credit for getting a ring, but his overall playoff performance is severely lacking to me.

Where do you see Peyton Manning having an Ego. The guy does nothing but spread around kudos and praise to his team and coaches and fans.

He is respectful to the interviewers despite some ridiculously stupid questions. He even swallowed his pride when dickhead Irsay played out his usual BS antics the last few years

The classiest guy in the NFL IMO. I never get sick of that. Would you rather see Rivers and Cutler whining away out there?

Where do you see Peyton Manning having an Ego. The guy does nothing but spread around kudos and praise to his team and coaches and fans.

He is respectful to the interviewers despite some ridiculously stupid questions. He even swallowed his pride when dickhead Irsay played out his usual BS antics the last few years

The classiest guy in the NFL IMO. I never get sick of that. Would you rather see Rivers and Cutler whining away out there?

http://fifthdown.blo...e-revered/?_r=0

Do you realize Belichick's record pre-Brady WAS WORSE THAN DICK JAURON'S???

Brady has become a stuck up whiner over the years. People use that season where Cassell started as a knock against him. Cassell made a pro bowl and took the Chiefs to the playoffs. Also, it was a 5 win drop off from the previous years.

Here's a list of 1st round picked skill players Manning played with in Indy (Gonzalez, Addai, Edge, Harrison. Wayne, Brown, Clark). Here's a list of 1st round picked skill players Brady played with (Maroney). I also heard a stat that Manning has played indoors something like 120 times while Brady has played inside like 20.

I'm a giant homer. I hate the bandwagon fans that make up more than half of the NE fanbase. But Brady is one of the greatest to ever play the game.

P.S. The Bills have gone 6-10/ 7-9 with Fitz, Edwards, and Losman. IF you simply flipped QBs, we'd be an annual playoff team. It's really that simple.

How many times did he do that? What are you trying to say? Did you know that viking fans call him Sand Castle??? You are trying to say that Cassell is good???? He's not even average!!!

So yes I WILL ALWAYS USE THE FACT THAT BRADY MISSED A SEASON = BELLYCHEAT STILL WENT 11-5.

I agree we would be an annual playoff team. But with Manning, not Brady. It's really that simple. Manning has a very high football iq. He's been getting players offsides his whole career. He's a genius. The broncos were a running team before Peyton got there. They went from a run only team to a pass happy team. That's Manning. The list goes on and on.

Anyone that quotes stats from the Pat's Superbowl years and holds them up to other stats from legitimate non-cheaters to make the argument that Brady/BB/The Pats were better

is football-ignorant.

Very well said. You have to mention the fact that their rings were obtained by cheating.

How do you know that?

Just kidding. I "football" hate the guy. I didnt know I had to have the hots for him too?? Do I? I dont know. What do you think Kemp?

Actually being a bills fan, I think I have the right to dislike/hate/talk smack about any non bills player. Wether it be rational or irrational. True or false.

Im a bills fan.

Ps. I think Brady is slightly above average. So freaking what!! You know what's funny. I'm on a bills board. I'm getting bashed for not praising Brady. Alanis Morisette please sing your song now.

Edited by Clippers of Nfl

How many times did he do that? What are you trying to say? Did you know that viking fans call him Sand Castle??? You are trying to say that Cassell is good???? He's not even average!!!

So yes I WILL ALWAYS USE THE FACT THAT BRADY MISSED A SEASON = BELLYCHEAT STILL WENT 11-5.

I agree we would be an annual playoff team. But with Manning, not Brady. It's really that simple. Manning has a very high football iq. He's been getting players offsides his whole career. He's a genius. The broncos were a running team before Peyton got there. They went from a run only team to a pass happy team. That's Manning. The list goes on and on.

Very well said. You have to mention the fact that their rings were obtained by cheating.

How do you know that?

Just kidding. I "football" hate the guy. I didnt know I had to have the hots for him too?? Do I? I dont know. What do you think Kemp?

Actually being a bills fan, I think I have the right to dislike/hate/talk smack about any non bills player. Wether it be rational or irrational. True or false.

Im a bills fan.

Ps. I think Brady is slightly above average. So freaking what!! You know what's funny. I'm on a bills board. I'm getting bashed for not praising Brady. Alanis Morisette please sing your song now.

What you think about Brady is your business. However, stating he is "slightly above average" flies in the face of what every unbiased football fan and journalist thinks about the guy. As such, logic would suggest that if you're whiffing on this one so badly, anything else you profess is mere fodder from an uneducated source.

Edited by Bronc24

** If anyone can identify with disliking a team it's me. I suffered through the whole 70's thing with Miami. But never did I find a way to blame all the Bills problems on Don Shula or Bob Greise. Did I feel the ref's made calls Miamis way? damn right I did. But did I see a vast rigging of the NFL? No I saw

Folks forget that they were accused of more than Spygate--including things like headsets going out at odd times at Gillette (Del Rio and Marinelli both made that claim independently), miking players up on the field, etc.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/11/sports/football/11nfl.html?_r=0

As per this article, they were the main team brought up to the NFL Competition Committee over and over and over again. Put that together with what we know about Spygate and the officiating in their games it's no surprise that people have suspicions about them.

That said, both Brady and Manning are first ballot HOFers, so I'm not really sure what the argument here is about.

When he lost that heart-wrenching playoff game to the Ravens last year in OT, he waited outside the Ravens locker room for an hour with his son to talk to Ray Lewis and wish him well in retirement after playing against him for so many years. Manning has always done things like this. He is the class of the NFL. Compare that to the mocking Cam in a Superman TD celebration like Kaepernick. Brees is another guy who is on the same level.

I could think of another matchup right away. How about Wilson vs Kapernick?

It's not Brady vs Manning by the way.

It's Manning vs Bellychecks. Brady is just slightly above average imho.

I dont want pats to advance. But I almost wouldnt mind just so seattle or 9ers can rock his @ all day. Both teams can stop the run.

No need to explain this. Your team is 75% run this year. Why dont you name your 4 rbs better and their respective different running style/strength. See this has is another point to validate Bellycheat as a mastermind. Not Brady. Brady is slightly above average in my opinion.

Wow, slightly above average? My brain can't even process this information. Brady is arguably the best QB in the history of the NFL and is fun to watch (as much as I HATE the Pats.) Every year (when the Bills are eliminated) I hope the Pats make the Super Bowl, only to lose it. The bigger the stakes, the more pain their fans, coach and QB will have in the end....

Edited by BuffaloBaumer

Wow, slightly above average? My brain can't even process this information. Brady is arguably the best QB in the history of the NFL and is fun to watch (as much as I HATE the Pats.) Every year (when the Bills are eliminated) I hope the Pats make the Super Bowl, only to lose it. The bigger the stakes, the more pain their fans, coach and QB will have in the end....

Then dont try to process it. Again just look at this weekend. What did he do. Hand off a lot and throw a bunch of crossing patterns. Fitz could have done the same thing. (Please dont quote me saying Fitz is better than Brady. Fitz is not a good qb) But Brady, he's overrated to me. He's faced a weak division for a long time. But whatever. Anything I mention will be classified as cherry picking.

You smell a qb you're bound to get flagged. Put Brady in the Bradshaw years and he would probably stay a back up. Again I cant even call Brady a plock plock plock chicken or I may get banned from this site. Wow.

This is like the Lynch vs Freddy threads from years back. I would get bashed for thinking Lynch was better back then...(I still love you Freddy)

Oh and for the sour pusses, if everyone agreed with everything here, oh what a boring site. Brady is the best bla bla bla. Yeah right!!

The success is not the most of it. Manning has been extremely successful. Brady comes across as an arrogant douche and is just unlikeable. So he is difficult to root for. I would argue that the constant Brady ballwashing by the vast majority of major sports networks (who also seem to employ an unbearable amount of ex-Pats*) make most of those media outlets unwatchable much of the time. The Pats* also get an unbelievable amount of help from the NFL officials. More than any team I can think of. So much so that when they actually didn't get a call at the end of the CAR game, ( I believe the non-call was actually correct and so did the ex NFL ref on ESPN) the national media practically called for a federal investigation. The Pats won at least 3 games due to obvious bad calls or non-calls (vs NO, vs CLE, vs DEN) forgot about the bogus "offensive Interference" penalty on DEN in the OT, anyone? Notice how Clete Blakeman was not assigned to another Pats* game the rest of the year after Brady's embarrising display of poor sportsmanship post-loss @ CAR? And do not forget BB's classless display after last years Championship game loss. These things all get rolled into Brady's public persona, and are big reasons for the (much deserved) Brady hate on this board. IMO, it makes the board more readable, as it is so much the opposite of what we get spoon-fed by the national talking heads. The only one I can recently recall actually making a negative comment about the Pats was Shannon Sharpe calling out BB for not speaking to the media after the AFC title loss to BAL.

The success is not the most of it. Manning has been extremely successful. Brady comes across as an arrogant douche and is just unlikeable. So he is difficult to root for. I would argue that the constant Brady ballwashing by the vast majority of major sports networks (who also seem to employ an unbearable amount of ex-Pats*) make most of those media outlets unwatchable much of the time. The Pats* also get an unbelievable amount of help from the NFL officials. More than any team I can think of. So much so that when they actually didn't get a call at the end of the CAR game, ( I believe the non-call was actually correct and so did the ex NFL ref on ESPN) the national media practically called for a federal investigation. The Pats won at least 3 games due to obvious bad calls or non-calls (vs NO, vs CLE, vs DEN) forgot about the bogus "offensive Interference" penalty on DEN in the OT, anyone? Notice how Clete Blakeman was not assigned to another Pats* game the rest of the year after Brady's embarrising display of poor sportsmanship post-loss @ CAR? And do not forget BB's classless display after last years Championship game loss. These things all get rolled into Brady's public persona, and are big reasons for the (much deserved) Brady hate on this board. IMO, it makes the board more readable, as it is so much the opposite of what we get spoon-fed by the national talking heads. The only one I can recently recall actually making a negative comment about the Pats was Shannon Sharpe calling out BB for not speaking to the media after the AFC title loss to BAL.

You're very welcome.

Ps. Did anyone see where he ducked and fell to the ground like a little scared girl before contact??? What a wimp!!!!!

I think you have it backward. IMO, if BB did not have Brady as his QB, he would probably be considered a good defensive coach but a slightly above average head coach. You can hate and despise Brady all you want - he is still one of the best, and most clutch, QBs to ever play the game.

Chris Mortensen@mortreport 50m

Peyton Manning says he believes Bill Belichick will go down as greatest coach of all time. #wontargue

just heard a stat in discussion - if brady reaches the super bowl this year, itll officially be 50% of the seasons hes been the starter finished with a super bowl appearance - crazy.

What... that is ridiculous. Gotta respect that.

Chris Mortensen@mortreport 50m

Peyton Manning says he believes Bill Belichick will go down as greatest coach of all time. #wontargue

What... that is ridiculous. Gotta respect that.

That'd make 6 appearances and he's been in the league 14 years - scrap the rookie and ACL seasons and that's 6 in 12 years. It sounded absurd when I first heard it but seems to add up.

Manning does the best play call changes/or not at the line.

My favorite part of his game is adjustments/or not

at the line of scrimmage

Omaha Omaha anyone

I love it! He drew SD offsides 5 times.... hilarious. Most of what he says is gibberish (he admits this) but the opponent can't tell when that is.

So sick of their egos. I'm pulling for NFC this year. Are you guys rooting for AFC or NFC?

I love the way both of these guys play. I can't wait for this game.

People who hate these guys are nuts. Best QB's ever and I'd love it if the played for the Bills (or the Bucs for that matter)

The Peyton Manning or Tom Brady debate will probably live on forever, no matter what happens when Denver plays New England in Sunday's AFC championship game, but Bleacher Report's Mike Freeman had a great idea: Ask the people paid to evaluate NFL talent.

So Freeman asked eight NFL personnel men the simple question, who is the better quarterback right now? Seven of the eight took Brady over Manning, who is going to win his fifth MVP this year.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/nfl-personnel-men-asked-brady-manning-one-won-200148306--nfl.html