The Longer Bledsoe Does Not Say Anything...

I think that Bledsoe NOT coming out right away and saying, Yes, this is my team and I will do whatever is needed to make it better, Shows he is thinking of leaving.

Remember, last year when the issue came up he was quick to say no problem and it was done...

Not the case this year...

That is why It seems to me that the longer this goes with silence the more likley Bledsoe will NOT take the pay cut and will leave for another team...

Does anybody agree??

We know Drew to be anything but a 'mouthoff jacka--' and -despite the non-stop harassing he gets- many teams would take him in a heartbeat. I think it comes down to him. With the Bills surrendering a 1st rounder to get the QB of the future for this team, he has to decide if he's willing to mentor JP and play where/when needed or if he has the burning desire and belief in himself that he's starter material and would rather leave. His demeanor is tough to read as he doesn't wear his emotions on his sleeve -opening himself to critism in a testostrone laden profession.

My take, he's doing some serious soul searching as he and his family are WNYers' by choice and his playclock is ticking. I think he eventually does what's asked by the Bills as TD/MM aren't likely to hand the reins over to JP during the kids first off season, thus encouraging an open competition in camp. As a team, the Bills would truely benefit from this, IMO.

I think that Bledsoe NOT coming out right away and saying, Yes, this is my team and I will do whatever is needed to make it better, Shows he is thinking of leaving.

Remember, last year when the issue came up he was quick to say no problem and it was done...

Not the case this year...

That is why It seems to me that the longer this goes with silence the more likley Bledsoe will NOT take the pay cut and will leave for another team...

Does anybody agree??

212019[/snapback]

What silence? He already HAS said it's his team. You want him to say it daily? <_<

CW

TD said that they will be making decisions on both TH and DB within the next couple of weeks. In the case of DB, they will consider the opinion of the vets. In the case of TH, they will not give him away. If other team wants to trade, they have to make an appropriate offer.

TD thinks that NE and Philly win this week, although Pitt is in his heart.

Mostly talked about the Steelers and Pats. Said last week's Pats-Colts game was one of the best-coached games he's seen. Expects the Pats and Eagles to win this weekend.

On the Bills:

- said he needs to win more games or he'll end up back as an ESPN analyst

- congratulated Mularkey for a good turnaround

- said a QB decision will be made within the next two weeks

- said they won't give Henry away

nothing really new....

All of the specualtion about whether the team is considering releasing Drew can come to an end... They ARE....Tom Donahoe has SPOKEN.....

On the "Mike & Mike" show on ESPN radio just mintes ago Tom Donahoe Spoke about Bledsoe and Henry..

When Mike asked about a decision at Qb TD replied: "We will make a decision on the quarterback position within 2 weeks". He went on to say that Drew is a "great guy" but they took Losman very high because of his ability. He again said they will make a decision about the QB position.

Then Mike asked about how the veterans would respond to a QB (JP) starting who has never started an NFL game. TD said "The Vets were behind Travis Henry too until they saw what Mcgahee could do".

-MY feelings: After hearing Donahoe and these comments, I am just shy of CONVINCED that Bledsoe will be released. There was NOTHING said that gives any nod towards keeping Drew and NOT starting Jp Losman. The whole Henry/Mcgahee comparison really makes it look like they are looking to Losman.

Regarding Henry:

TD said that they are open for teams to submit their trade offers for Henry.

He said he is a quality strarting back in the NFL.

My Feelings: Nothing new here...This has already been reported..

All of the specualtion about whether the team is considering releasing Drew can come to an end... They ARE....Tom Donahoe has SPOKEN.....

TD spoke - and yet I didn't hear the words, "We're cutting Bledsoe" come out of his mouth...

When will people learn that TD never speaks in full-truths?

CW

TD spoke - and yet I didn't hear the words, "We're cutting Bledsoe" come out of his mouth...

When will people learn that TD never speaks in full-truths?

CW

212053[/snapback]

Come on CW you must let go of DB. You need to welcome change into the Bills organization or we will never be anything more than an 8-8 or 9-7 team wishing they were in the playoffs!

Come on CW you must let go of DB. You need to welcome change into the Bills organization or we will never be anything more than an 8-8 or 9-7 team wishing they were in the playoffs!

212055[/snapback]

I don't care if the Bills release DB -- if they do, it means they're confident in JPL, and that's good enough for me. But to say, based on this interview, that DB is definately going to be cut is ludicrous at best.

CW

I don't care if the Bills release DB -- if they do, it means they're confident in JPL, and that's good enough for me.  But to say, based on this interview, that DB is definately going to be cut is ludicrous at best.

CW

212058[/snapback]

Your absolutly right--DB wont be cut--TD wont take the cap hit. He will however trade him and get something in return.

Your absolutly right--DB wont be cut--TD wont take the cap hit. He will however trade him and get something in return.

212061[/snapback]

...except we get the same cap hit whether we cut him or trade him. And if everybody knows we're going to cut him (based on what everyone's saying in this thread), why would anyone trade anything for him when they can sign him for free later?

CW

TD would be "general manager of the decade" if he could trade DB. Sorry, I really like Drew as a person, but he is no longer capable of contributing as a starter. I would really like to see him take a nice pay cut this month and remain on as a JPL's backup/on-field coach. If Drew doesn't want to stay with the team after being asked to give up the starting role, then maybe TD could get a conditional pick in the '06 draft.

...except we get the same cap hit whether we cut him or trade him.  And if everybody knows we're going to cut him (based on what everyone's saying in this thread), why would anyone trade anything for him when they can sign him for free later?

CW

212064[/snapback]

Giving up a conditional pick that could be worth anywhere from a fourth to a sixth is not much to pay to ensure you get your man. In other words, if the Cards really want him, they could work a cheap trade and make sure no one else claims him off waivers before they get their shot. Or, as some astute waller wrote in this thread, maybe TD could package DB with TH -- anything is possible.

Or, as some astute waller wrote in this thread, maybe TD could package DB with TH -- anything is possible.

When was the last time you've seen a team trade two players in one trade in the NFL? Doesn't happen.

CW

we wouldnt save that much in cap space by cutting Drew and then we'd be left with Shane MAtthews as our only veteran QB. Theyre gonna leave the QB spot up for grabs during training camp, see if they can rework Drew's contract again and ultimately have him back JPL up.

Giving up a conditional pick that could be worth anywhere from a fourth to a sixth is not much to pay to ensure you get your man. In other words, if the Cards really want him, they could work a cheap trade and make sure no one else claims him off waivers before they get their shot. Or, as some astute waller wrote in this thread, maybe TD could package DB with TH -- anything is possible.

212080[/snapback]

I don;t think DB has to go through the waiver wire, as he has some X # of

years of nfl experience...

If the Bills cut him, he would be free to sign with anyone he wants.

Bruce Smith did that. After he was cut by the bills, within days he was a

Washington Redskin.

I think the best case scenario is that Bledsoe comes to terms with the prospect of losing his job to JP, steps up to the plate and accepts the challenge and the paycut. Thus setting up Bledsoe in the same roll he served with Brady. The dude's gonna cost us whether he's on the roster or not, and I'd rather have him than any journeyman we'd get anyways.

It would seem it's even more ludicrous to expect TD to state we are going to cut DB until they do cut him. Maybe TD is waiting to find out if DB will take a pay cut. And maybe they gave him two weeks to respond. I didn't hear Mike and Mike, but if that is what he said, I'll be surprised if he isn't cut unless he DB takes a pay cut. And maybe DB has indicated that he's not going to take a cut?

I don't care if the Bills release DB -- if they do, it means they're confident in JPL, and that's good enough for me.  But to say, based on this interview, that DB is definately going to be cut is ludicrous at best.

CW

212058[/snapback]

There are TWO other places DB has a legit shot at starting next year:

1) Arizona

2) Chicago

stay tuned...

212059[/snapback]

Chicago has a great prospect in Rex Grossman, and is building their offense around him. For exeperienced vetran back-up, they already signed Jeff George, I think, through the end of next season. I think they would be more likely to see if George has anything left, before giving up on him, for a much more expensive Drew Bledsoe.

I suppose Arizona is a possibilty, but it seems to me that Denny Green prefers someone more mobile. I think the Cards will make a run at John Kitna. He is a little younger than Drew, and has a bit more upside at this point. If Green wants to go old vet, Jeff Garcia may be available, and would seem more suited to Denny Greens' style than Bledsoe would be....

As one who has had serious doubts that Bledsoe will be released, I must admitt, this recap of TD's interview has me a little less convinced. Comparing Henry/McGahee situation to the Bledsoe/Losman situation seems a little odd, to me, coming from TD. Almost like he is softening the ground for something. Still, I remain steadfast believing that if Bledsoe still wants to play in the NFL, his best option (and maybe the Bills) is for him to take the paycut, and remain in Buffalo. The fans may suck for him, but football wise, it makes the most sense for both sides.

On the "Mike & Mike" show on ESPN radio just mintes ago Tom Donahoe Spoke about Bledsoe and Henry..

When Mike asked about a decision at Qb TD replied: "We will make a decision on the quarterback position within 2 weeks". He went on to say that Drew is a "great guy" but they took Losman very high because of his ability. He again said they will make a decision about the QB position.

Then Mike asked about how the veterans would respond to a QB (JP) starting who has never started an NFL game. TD said "The Vets were behind Travis Henry too until they saw what Mcgahee could do".

-MY feelings: After hearing Donahoe and these comments, I am just shy of CONVINCED that Bledsoe will be released. There was NOTHING said that gives any nod towards keeping Drew and NOT starting Jp Losman. The whole Henry/Mcgahee comparison really makes it look like they are looking to Losman.

Regarding Henry:

TD said that they are open for teams to submit their trade offers for Henry.

He said he is a quality strarting back in the NFL.

My Feelings: Nothing new here...This has already been reported..

212041[/snapback]

Listening to that report CONVINCES me that there is going to be a change at the QB position.....if Donahoe was fully behind Bledsoe he would come out and say it....right here right now.....he didn't do that....more like he went in the OPPOSITE direction......

Listening to that report CONVINCES me that there is going to be a change at the QB position.....if Donahoe was fully behind Bledsoe he would come out and say it....right here right now.....he didn't do that....more like he went in the OPPOSITE direction......

212654[/snapback]

You're right on the money as usual, John.

212654[/snapback]

There will be competition at QB in the form of training camp reps. Bledsoe will win, hands down.

All the assumptions that Donahoe is throwing Bledsoe under the bus are pure speculation. He's indicating a willingness to get Losman's feet wet some more this year mainly to appease the town lynch mob.

No one on that sideline could ever dream of handing the reins over to Losman at the start of the season with the embarrassing showing he had in his first 4 NFL games. All the situations were low pressure, and he looked liked a scared punk. He looked like an RJ understudy, and no team wants to advance this close to the playoffs and start over from scratch with an unknown rookie.

Those of you who want to suffer through some 3-13 and 5-11 seasons while we keep our fingers crossed that this kid will produce, will be the first blame everybody around him and then run him out of town a year later.

A 9-3 run, after an 0-4 start without McGahee, indicates that this team is playoff calibur with the current QB and some meaningful offseason acquisitions.

212654[/snapback]

Well, I don't see how anyone could be 100% behind Bledsoe at this point. This past season showed his abilities pretty well. I think, regardless of what his plans are, that TD would be extremely foolish to make statements that would lock Bledsoe in as the starter for the team.

Unlike many here, I am not all that comfortable committing to JP either. I wouldn't mind seeing them come to an agreement, keep Drew around, and see how things shake out in camp (whether there is officially a "competition" or not). I know people don't like Drew, but seeing the sorry state of QBing around the league, we could do worse.

Not a ringing endorsement, but it's probably the best that can be mustered up.