My take after some research on Byrd

D521646

So today I am off, and I decided to look around all the non playoff team forums, and with the exception of maybe three or four teams, the fans in their "2014 free agents wish list" threads, I see a very common theme. Jarius Byrd is sought after in a big way by almost everyone in their 1st wish or 2nd for who they think the team should deal for in the off-season. So what does it tell you? It tells me that he's really good, and people, fans have noticed. So, up until recently I was one of the guys saying that we should offer Byrd a respectable contract in the range of 40m over 5 years, but now I'm starting to think that he may be worth what he's asking for. The business man in me though just can't shake the risk vs reward aspect of it all. It's difficult to weigh the risk/reward in this type of transaction. Can AW replace Byrd? Can one of the rookies? Is the position serviceable, and was Byrd's performance more of a reflection on our front 7's play? I do NOT envy OBD on this one, as they have other pressing or soon to be pressing contract negotiations looming, but man-o-man, wouldn't it be nice to sign Byrd long term?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no question that Byrd is an awesome player. he's a playmaker and probowler on a consistently bad team. The secondary improved greatly when he got back on the field. He is part of the reason why they had so many sacks and INT's last season.

Byrd is worth the money he is asking for. The issue the Bills are having is that they have alot of free agents coming up and you can't keep them all. would you rather have Byrd or CJ Spiller or Marcel Dareus? What about Cordy Glenn who is a outstanding LT. His contract will be up in a few years.

You can't keep everyone and that is the problem. I would say that on the open market Byrd can get the same amount that CJ and Marcel combined.

Every year we see teams give out a ton of money for one or two guys and they don't get anywhere.

I agree. I think its the opposite of the hometown discount. He'll require a premium to stay here and for even money he walks. I don't know how our ability to tag him for $10M (holdout) year affects the analysis.

I don't think that's necessarily the case; Byrd wants to get paid, and if the Bills are willing to pay him what he wants, he'll stay.

As for the tag, it would cost Buffalo $8.3M to tag him for the 2014 season...if they can't sign him, you bet your behind I'd tag him again.

The question, though, is will Byrd remain an elite player once he gets paid? Yes, he got a fat chunk of money this year on the tag, but he had a large contract coming to him after the season. Once he gets tied down for 5 years, as with almost all athletes, his play will likely become less impact. And my unresearched idea that he's probably around 27 or maybe even 28 by the time next season starts makes me wonder if he really will remain elite and keep being worth his elite paycheck that we will have tied to him. A player playing for that 2nd contract plays harder than someone who got that contract, that's almost a universal rule. So I wouldn't be COMPLETELY against trading him for at least a 2nd rounder, but for nothing lower. Any offer worse than that, I'm willing to accept his worsening attitude and large cap hit, as he plays with something to prove for that big 2nd contract that might have to wait to come until after the 2014 season.

Offense is the name of the game in today's NFL and defense isn't winning games like it did years ago. That said, the best way to stopping some of these high powered offenses is by forcing turnovers, something Byrd and the Bills did quite well this season. Buffalo actually tied for 3rd in the NFL in takeaways.

Losing Byrd might save the team money, but his production won't be replaced by the likes of Aaron Williams, Duke Williams, or Jonathan Meeks. It's just be another move by a team looking to save money above being competitive before a 2014 season they must make the post-season.

Is he better than anyone else we're likely gonna get to replace him? Yes.

Do we have room under the cap, to pay him? Yes (unless we go on a crazy FA shopping spree).

Do we have the ability to guarantee he stays here? At least for next year, Yes, for a Franchise Tag of about $10m, if necessary.

Are we serious about making winning a priority? ????? That's the question.

Is he better than anyone else we're likely gonna get to replace him? Yes.

Do we have room under the cap, to pay him? Yes (unless we go on a crazy FA shopping spree).

Do we have the ability to guarantee he stays here? At least for next year, Yes, for a Franchise Tag of about $10m, if necessary.

The tag for Byrd will cost ~$8.3M for 2014

Offense is the name of the game in today's NFL and defense isn't winning games like it did years ago. That said, the best way to stopping some of these high powered offenses is by forcing turnovers, something Byrd and the Bills did quite well this season. Buffalo actually tied for 3rd in the NFL in takeaways.

Losing Byrd might save the team money, but his production won't be replaced by the likes of Aaron Williams, Duke Williams, or Jonathan Meeks. It's just be another move by a team looking to save money above being competitive before a 2014 season they must make the post-season.

There's a giant difference in passing out good contracts with the long term future in sight and being cheap. I really don't know how people can still say the Bills are cheap. Because they didn't pay a guard who hasn't made one pro bowl $8 million? At the same time, people say the Bills are dumb for overpaying for guys like Mario and Stevie. Which one is it?

IMHO this has been the real issue all along... B-)

I don’t think that’s the issue. I think if the Bills pay him what he believes his play dictates he should be paid then he would be fine staying with the organization. I think this is a respect issue not a “he doesn’t want to play in Buffalo” issue. I think that’s more made up by some fans.

So today I am off, and I decided to look around all the non playoff team forums, and with the exception of maybe three or four teams, the fans in their "2014 free agents wish list" threads, I see a very common theme. Jarius Byrd is sought after in a big way by almost everyone in their 1st wish or 2nd for who they think the team should deal for in the off-season. So what does it tell you? It tells me that he's really good, and people, fans have noticed. So, up until recently I was one of the guys saying that we should offer Byrd a respectable contract in the range of 40m over 5 years, but now I'm starting to think that he may be worth what he's asking for. The business man in me though just can't shake the risk vs reward aspect of it all. It's difficult to weigh the risk/reward in this type of transaction. Can AW replace Byrd? Can one of the rookies? Is the position serviceable, and was Byrd's performance more of a reflection on our front 7's play? I do NOT envy OBD on this one, as they have other pressing or soon to be pressing contract negotiations looming, but man-o-man, wouldn't it be nice to sign Byrd long term?

Despite this research, I thin they franchise him again.

I wouldn't be COMPLETELY against trading him for at least a 2nd rounder, but for nothing lower. Any offer worse than that, I'm willing to accept his worsening attitude

Not one person involved with the team has ever said anything to make anyone believe this is true. Pure BS.

There is no question that Byrd is an awesome player. he's a playmaker and probowler on a consistently bad team. The secondary improved greatly when he got back on the field. He is part of the reason why they had so many sacks and INT's last season.

Byrd is worth the money he is asking for.

You can't keep everyone and that is the problem.

Byrd is the kind of player you keep. You don't let playmakers like him leave...we aren't the Patriots...we can't afford to lose players of his caliber.

Well said.

This is the question of all questions. Let's hope they start making winning a priority, us fans deserve that.

I don’t think that’s the issue. I think if the Bills pay him what he believes his play dictates he should be paid then he would be fine staying with the organization. I think this is a respect issue not a “he doesn’t want to play in Buffalo” issue. I think that’s more made up by some fans.

Then we disagree...

The Bills made him an offer that would have put him in the top 5 among Safeties in the NFL...Byrd and his agent wanted him to be the top paid...He can say anything he wants...Actions speak louder...He's not going to come out and say it anyway...I think the only way Byrd considers staying in Buffalo is if they overpay compared to his true market value...If he really wanted to be in Buffalo a deal would already be done...

Now...Maybe he's changed his mind/stance after this past season...I doubt it though...And honestly I don't see why anyone would be really surprised about it considering Byrd grew up and payed College ball on the West Coast... B-)

I really want us to re sign Byrd and keep him here for his whole career.

And while it is true that players play for the money, most also want to win a championship. I believe Byrd does. He has played for us for 5 years of so and we've never won more than 7 games.

Our defense may be on the cusp of being good, but we were still horrendous against the run. We also lost games as we have ever since Byrd had been here, really before, by choking THIS year. From Byrd's perspective, what's changed really?

If I were Byrd and was primed to make more money than I could ever spend, would I want to do it on the Bills, or maybe the Ravens or Stealers or Patriots or 49ers and win? Would be a tough choice.

I won't like it if he leaves, but I will understand.

You can't keep everyone and that is the problem.

Do you mean that based on available cap room, or based on the Bills' history of spending under the cap?

If the Bills decide to tag him again, my question to the front office is, what exactly are you trying to build here? Surely you don't think you're going to the Super Bowl next year so what's the point other than keeping Byrd for another year for "entertainment purposes" for the fans?

Edited by BillnutinHouston