Example of why we should not throw in the towel on Manuel... yet.

Coach55

Perfect example of why we shouldn't give on Manuel so soon is Drew Brees (I am not saying that Manuel is Drew Brees by any way, shape or form, but a comparison can be made).

In recent years, there have been a lot of "NFL ready" quarterbacks coming out of college, but often times NFL QB's take years to develop. Take a look at Brees. His rookie year (late 2nd round pick), he only played 1 game which he didn't start, so let's use his 2nd season as effectively his rookie year.

He started 16 games, went 8-8, hitting 60.8% of his passes, 17 TDs, 16 Ints and a passer rating of 76.9

The following season. he went 2-9, hitting 57.6% of his passes, 11TDs, 15 Ints and a passer rating of 67.5

Everyone in San Diego at this point basically threw in the towel and they drafted Philip Rivers. The following year, Brees goes on to the Pro-bowl and has since been there 7 more times and may even be a HOF'er.

Manuel's stats are not stellar by any means, but realistically not too far off of Brees's in his first year.

4-6, 58.8%, 11-9 and 77.7. The guy is 23, got thrown to wolves and had to deal with a series of non-serious knee injuries. Give him a full training camp and the keys to the car and see what he can do.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think many people are throwing in the towel on EJ. Like Whaley said, we all expect good progression from year 1 to year 2. We'd better see it. Would be nice if EJ could sprinkle in a few 300 yard passing games in the mix like Drew Brees did in his 2nd season.

If the Bills see a QB in the draft that they love, and he falls to them, I wouldn't be upset to have them pull the trigger in order to hedge their bets on EJ. You have to get the QB position right or the organization will spin their wheels indefinitely.

Perfect example of why we shouldn't give on Manuel so soon is Drew Brees (I am not saying that Manuel is Drew Brees by any way, shape or form, but a comparison can be made).

In recent years, there have been a lot of "NFL ready" quarterbacks coming out of college, but often times NFL QB's take years to develop. Take a look at Brees. His rookie year (late 2nd round pick), he only played 1 game which he didn't start, so let's use his 2nd season as effectively his rookie year.

He started 16 games, went 8-8, hitting 60.8% of his passes, 17 TDs, 16 Ints and a passer rating of 76.9

The following season. he went 2-9, hitting 57.6% of his passes, 11TDs, 15 Ints and a passer rating of 67.5

Everyone in San Diego at this point basically threw in the towel and they drafted Philip Rivers. The following year, Brees goes on to the Pro-bowl and has since been there 7 more times and may even be a HOF'er.

Manuel's stats are not stellar by any means, but realistically not too far off of Brees's in his first year.

4-6, 58.8%, 11-9 and 77.7. The guy is 23, got thrown to wolves and had to deal with a series of non-serious knee injuries. Give him a full training camp and the keys to the car and see what he can do.

Remeber, in the good old days, it was rare for a QB, even a first rounder, to just come in and take the starting job from week 1 on...each guy develops different. The truth is, Brees, like Terry Bradshaw (and hopefully EJ) just needed a that time to develop into the great player they became..they simply weren't ready to step in from day one...doesn't mean they never will be.

EJ has a lot of tools to work with...by all accounts, he is a coachable kid...I would really love to see them get a QB coach for him to work on footwork, which would likely improve his accuracy. I never really saw a lot of evidence, during this season past, that there was a lot of emphasis being put on that, in regards to EJ. Manuel is big guy, and his movement doesn't always seem fluid to my eyes...almost like he is thinking too much and it is effecting his form.

Everyone in San Diego at this point basically threw in the towel and they drafted Philip Rivers Eli Manning. The following year, Brees goes on to the Pro-bowl and has since been there 7 more times and may even be a HOF'er.

But I get your point, and am inclined to agree with you. Edited by sodbuster

Who says were throwing in the towel on EJ? It's realistically going to take two more seasons to see if he can be the guy. That said, the Bills should not wait on him especially during the 2015 draft. If a top QB is there for there for the taking and things have not manifested themselves, the Bills should draft him.

And just like San Diego, I'd like to see the Bills draft another QB if someone worthy falls to #9. That's not giving up on EJ, that's drafting for the possibility he isn't the answer. almost every other position in all of pro sports are like that and QB should be no different. San Diego was then in position do get some draft picks since Drew had value. A smart GM should see that as opportunity.

And just like San Diego, I'd like to see the Bills draft another QB if someone worthy falls to #9. That's not giving up on EJ, that's drafting for the possibility he isn't the answer. almost every other position in all of pro sports are like that and QB should be no different. San Diego was then in position do get some draft picks since Drew had value. A smart GM should see that as opportunity.

That strategy works if the QB is by far the better player than anyone else on the board.

FWIW, San Diego's decision-making process has led to a 4-4 record in the playoffs under Rivers, while Brees has gone 6-3 in the playoffs with a title in hand since leaving the Chargers.

You can say the Chargers played it safely - which they did - and came out competitive, but I think they'd give it all up if they knew they would have Brees playing like this + their first ever title.

That strategy works if the QB is by far the better player than anyone else on the board.

FWIW, San Diego's decision-making process has led to a 4-4 record in the playoffs under Rivers, while Brees has gone 6-3 in the playoffs with a title in hand since leaving the Chargers.

You can say the Chargers played it safely - which they did - and came out competitive, but I think they'd give it all up if they knew they would have Brees playing like this + their first ever title.

very true, and most would say that they held all the cards, since even an unproven Rivers would have brought draft picks.... this is really a win- win.

Nice post, Coach55, shows that unlike some of the opinions on the board, Manual´s stats were not to terrifically bad. I think that I would settle for another cool Brees.

TBD has many who ride the retard rollercoaster.

Friends of mine who are Pats, Jets, and Giants fans have all said to me that they they think EJ is the real deal and will be very good for us. TBD is sharpening their pitchforks and lobbying to spend a second consecutive first rounder on QB.

Patience grasshopper

very true, and most would say that they held all the cards, since even an unproven Rivers would have brought draft picks.... this is really a win- win.

It's hard to judge them harshly on it. That shoulder injury was also viewed as potentially career-ending, and even the Dolphins' medical staff agreed after it seemed that they had come to terms on a contract.

But one thing - this was after a few years of Brees' career, not just one. I think it looks a lot more like bailing on EJ to select another top QB after one season.

A QB at #9 for the Bills really has to be bar none the BPA -- because a great WR, LB, TE or DL would really help this team, too.

I don't think many people are throwing in the towel on EJ. Like Whaley said, we all expect good progression from year 1 to year 2. We'd better see it. Would be nice if EJ could sprinkle in a few 300 yard passing games in the mix like Drew Brees did in his 2nd season.

If the Bills see a QB in the draft that they love, and he falls to them, I wouldn't be upset to have them pull the trigger in order to hedge their bets on EJ. You have to get the QB position right or the organization will spin their wheels indefinitely.

To your point, EJ had 296 against the Panthers. Without looking it up, that has to be one of the best QB performances against that great defense all year.

For the people who are defending EJ (and why won't you if you are a Bills fan), none is saying EJ will necessarily become great. I just wonder what happened to patience. If the D holds the leads against the Pats and Falcons, EJ is looked at completely different. Additionally besides a fluke 4 ints game, he protected the ball very well.

Also, who in this draft has both the physical and mental qualities of EJ? EJ has every single thing you want in a young QB. Obviously there's a lot to prove but it was year one. EJ has been here for 1 year of the 14 year drought. I think fans' frustrations are put on the wrong people at times.

I disagree. You owe it to your franchise QB to surround him with as many weapons as possible. Using a high pick cheats EJ of a possible weapon. Besides, I struggle to see who is that great QB at #9. It is a very average group IMO.

You draft like EJ is the guy and if he fails this year, a new QB will set into a very good situation. But drafting a QB at #9 would hurt the team next year.

Look at Steve McNair:

http://www.nfl.com/p...2502045/profile

I think he is about the Max we can see from EJ. His career is 82.8 rating, and the most he every threw for was 3,387 yards. He was known as a clutch player though, and guy who played hurt. Only 60.1% completions, and in 13 seasons he was only above passer rating of 90 3 times. He basically threw for about 200 yards a game for his career in games he started and finished, but was always looked at as a decent QB.

That is the ceiling, nothing higher.

Edited by Security

I agree dammit! Manuel could be Drew Brees & the best course to help him reach his potential is to do what SD did.

Look at Steve McNair:

I think he is about the Max we can see from EJ. His career is 82.8 rating, and the most he every threw for was 3,387 yards. He was known as a clutch player though, and guy who played hurt. Only 60.1% completions, and in 13 seasons he was only above passer rating of 90 3 times. He basically threw for about 200 yards a game for his career in games he started and finished, but was always looked at as a decent QB.

I would take Steve McNair any day of the week over what the Bills have had at QB the last 18 years.

Look at Steve McNair:

That's a pretty solid comparison. At the same time, EJ as a rookie was probably better than McNair in his 3rd year (1st as a starter). http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McNaSt00.htm Overall, I think it is unfair to completely compare players because who has any idea (what was Brady's ceiling after his rookie year?)

That said, if Manuel makes multiple pro bowls, wins a MVP, and takes us to the SB, I could live with a McNair like career for EJ. :flirt:

At this point EJ will pan out to be a pretty tall QB. I predict somewhere between Jesse Palmer and Vinny Testeverde

What? Palmer has 562 yards career passing and played 5 years, Vinnie played 21 years and has 46,233 yards passing and had 429 in one game before!

Wide range, really going out on a ledge there!

Honestly....us fans are in dire needs of a winning organization, that we have zero patience to wait and see if our rookie QB is the guy or not!

Fact is...we do have enough talent to win, but we are being anchored down by the growing pains of a rookie QB. My fear is that when and if he gets it.. our main core of solid players won't be here anymore.

But as a whole this teams hands were tied last year. I mean if they kept Fitz they lose many fans. I think our front office panicked and took a QB.

I wish they would've just kept fitz one more year then snag a QB this 2014 draft. Cause I do think its a better draft for QBs then last years...by far!

Don't think the Bills should pull the plug on EJ after season one but they need to have a viable "Plan B" for the 2014 beyond Tuel and Lewis. That plan might not be selecting another QB at #9 in round 1 but it should include taking a look at free agent veterans and determining which can be a clear upgrade in proven performance (not potential) over the current #2 and #3 QB's on the roster now.

They can't go into the 2014 season banking on improvement from Manuel and if it doesn't materialize be faced with the prospect of accepting another 6-10 season. The defense should improve with a season of the new system under their belt and the likelihood of plugging in 1 or 2 upgrades to the starting lineup has the potential to be top 5 against run and pass. And on the other side of the ball addressing needs at WR, G, and TE (maybe OT) could solidfy this unit. And even if EJ improves to the point of just average it should be enough to post 3 or 4 more wins. But if he doesn't you better have somebody on the roster that can take over.

Brees didn't play his rookie year and then showed flashes for two years before blowing up. Manuel played his rookie year and didn't show much if anything.

Your post is filled with lies.

1) It would be easier for a guy to sit for a year rather than play as rookie (after missing 2 weeks of his first NFL training camp).

2) Brees threw 28 tds, 31 ints, averaged about 6 ypa and went 2-9 his 2nd year as a starter.

3) You are just hating on EJ if you say he showed no flashes. The Carolina game. The Jets in a wind storm. Twice leading the Bills on game winning drives before fumbles against ATL. Playing nearly perfect after a terrible 1st quarter in Jax. Outplaying Brady and leaving the field with a lead against NE. Helping beat the defending SB champs.

Yeah, Manuel showed nothing all year. :thumbsup:

Honestly....us fans are in dire needs of a winning organization, that we have zero patience to wait and see if our rookie QB is the guy or not!

Fact is...we do have enough talent to win, but we are being anchored down by the growing pains of a rookie QB. My fear is that when and if he gets it.. our main core of solid players won't be here anymore.

But as a whole this teams hands were tied last year. I mean if they kept Fitz they lose many fans. I think our front office panicked and took a QB.

I wish they would've just kept fitz one more year then snag a QB this 2014 draft. Cause I do think its a better draft for QBs then last years...by far!

EJ, Marrone, Whaley, Kiko, Woods, etc. have been here for one year. It has sucked to be a Bills fan. But putting all the blame on guys who weren't even born during the Bills' SB years is misguided.

Also lack of patience is the reason most fans can't be GMs. Too emotional. Everything is the worst or the best. Players need to develop. It doesn't happen overnight. The key is to know when to cut the cord. A year is hardly the time though.

Your post is filled with lies.

1) It would be easier for a guy to sit for a year rather than play as rookie (after missing 2 weeks of his first NFL training camp).

2) Brees threw 28 tds, 31 ints, averaged about 6 ypa and went 2-9 his 2nd year as a starter.

3) You are just hating on EJ if you say he showed no flashes. The Carolina game. The Jets in a wind storm. Twice leading the Bills on game winning drives before fumbles against ATL. Playing nearly perfect after a terrible 1st quarter in Jax. Outplaying Brady and leaving the field with a lead against NE. Helping beat the defending SB champs.

Yeah, Manuel showed nothing all year. :thumbsup:

EJ, Marrone, Whaley, Kiko, Woods, etc. have been here for one year. It has sucked to be a Bills fan. But putting all the blame on guys who weren't even born during the Bills' SB years is misguided.

Also lack of patience is the reason most fans can't be GMs. Too emotional. Everything is the worst or the best. Players need to develop. It doesn't happen overnight. The key is to know when to cut the cord. A year is hardly the time though.

I agree with you. Its not that I'm putting blame on anyone...I just feel our patience has grown soo thin that we are unwilling to give players patience. Its just a bad feeling all in all. I really want to see EJ succeed, he's a damn good kid!

In the end I just wanna win!!!

Manual showed he is capable of playing, but he was hurt three separate times this season. Not sure if he sat more the second two times because the season looked like it was not going to be a playoff season, but he did play without much preseason playing time.

They need to consider taking another QB early, maybe round 2.

Thad Lewis is not a capable number 2 QB, he fumbles way too much, 7 fumbles in 6 games played, he would have led the league by 5 fumbles if he played the whole season (league leader was Stafford with 12, although RG3 would have gave him a run for it, he had 11). Need a more consistent player there.

I agree with you. Its not that I'm putting blame on anyone...I just feel our patience has grown soo thin that we are unwilling to give players patience. Its just a bad feeling all in all. I really want to see EJ succeed, he's a damn good kid!

In the end I just wanna win!!!

Yeah, we all do and it sucks. Ej has a ways to go but if the D holds the leads against CLE, ATL, and NE, does that change the way we think about him?

Let's face it. Americans don't have patience in general. Every thing has to be instant. One of the things I loved about sports was seeing growth throughout a season. I used to win Most Improved Player (means I sucked and then got good). It's rewarding to see hard work play off. Everything we have heard about EJ is he is a great kid. Would there be anything better than EJ leading us to the playoffs next year and bumping the EJ is a bust threads? :nana:

Yeah, we all do and it sucks. Ej has a ways to go but if the D holds the leads against CLE, ATL, and NE, does that change the way we think about him?

Let's face it. Americans don't have patience in general. Every thing has to be instant. One of the things I loved about sports was seeing growth throughout a season. I used to win Most Improved Player (means I sucked and then got good). It's rewarding to see hard work play off. Everything we have heard about EJ is he is a great kid. Would there be anything better than EJ leading us to the playoffs next year and bumping the EJ is a bust threads? :nana:

I know...his health was a major concern!

Hey enjoy the new year man!

As everyone else does, I wish EJ made it a full season and lit the league up. Instead well we got injuries and average but I don't see how EJ doesn't improve in year 2. With free agency and the draft we have to shore up the oline to keep him more comfortable in the pocket and get him a security blanket wether it be a stud receiver or TE...or both hopefully.

Everyone in San Diego at this point basically threw in the towel and they drafted Philip Rivers. The following year, Brees goes on to b

the Pro-bowl and has since been there 7 more times and may even be a HOF'er.

Drew Brees owes his entire career to Sean Payton...the best coach in the league.

Edited by SameOldBills

Examples of why we should throw in the towel on Manuel...now:

Rob Johnson

JP Losman

Trent Edwards

Ryan Fitzpatrick

All guys who failed the eyeball test yet were given multiple seasons to retard our team's development.

i don't think ej has necessarily failed the eyeball test for a lot of people, i think he has failed the consistancy/healthy/dependable test. to me he has been equal parts good and bad. he has mad great throws, and really poor throws. made some good decisions and some really bad. shown the ability to stand and deliver while getting crushed by a 300+lb man, and looked rattled and panicky under percieved pressure. there are equal arguments to be made for and against, and plenty of examples to back up each side. bottom line is that ej's career to this point is all about interpretation, is the glass half full or half empty?

This is exactly why we shouldn't draft a QB in the first round. Giving up on Manuel would be the same as drafting Mike Williams or Aaron Maybin. A waste.

OTOH, Brees' and Manuel's collegiate stats are worlds apart.

Manuel's issues are obvious and plagued him throughout four seasons, two of starting, at FSU.

Otherwise, of all the QBs that started similarly, the vast majority never amount to anything.

Comps like this are ridiculous. In Peyton Manning's first five games he threw 4 TDs and 12 INTs, so we might as well say that any QB that plays just as poorly in his first five starts can easily end up being as good as PM.

I agree with the entire Op (minus the Brees comparisons). But what should be emphasized is his "3 non-serious" knew injuries. 3 knee injuries. In one year. That scares the bejeezus out of me. It doesn't scare you? The term "injury prone player" isn't a myth. At this point it's too soon to say, but he's not off to a good start durability wise. He could develop into a very good QB...but we should be drafting a QB somewhere in this draft or acquiring one via FA IMO

Edited by NewEra

Don't think the Bills should pull the plug on EJ after season one but they need to have a viable "Plan B" for the 2014 beyond Tuel and Lewis. .

They can't go into the 2014 season banking on improvement from Manuel and if it doesn't materialize be faced with the prospect of accepting another 6-10 season.

LOL

Good one. Either you're joking or you became a Bills fan within the last few seasons.

Words like "plan" or "planning," "vision," and "strategy" should never be used when discussing this team.

Silly fan, don't you know that this organization never has a viable plan. Not since Polian was ..., LOL, fired by the braintrust of the team at the time, its owner.

Think about that for a second, it would be like the Pats firing Belicheat right now, his having cheated aside. This same org has plans? ... I don't think so.