Official Playoff Possibilities Thread

eball

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a crazy thought...the Pats* lose to Denver next week (their 4th L). The next four games are @HOU, CLE, @MIA, @BAL. Dare we even dream they could lose two of those, and IF the Bills take care of business we are playing for the AFC East in the last game of the season?

that we win out while the pats finish 2-4 down the stretch (2-2 in that run plus loses to us and carolina sandwiching it) would be optimistic. they havent lost 2 in a row, and we havent won 2 in a row.

I dunno...

2-8 Falcons @Toronto

2-8 @ Bucs

1-9 @ Jags

5-5 Dolphins

7-2 @ Patriots

3 teams on the road, and one of them the division leader at 7-2

How much would it be if we won our next three games against weak opponents and found ourselves smack dab in the middle of the playoff race? How great would this be for building confidence for next year?

The more I think about it the more I just want to get that Atlanta game. At the moment the idea of us running the schedule at least as far as New England sounds far fetched because we haven't won two straight since what weeks 2&3 last season? Defeat Atlanta in Toronto and by the time we get to Tampa I think their recent upturn is dented by games @ Detroit and Carolina whereas we have some momentum and then all of a sudden a run is a real possibility.

The Falcons game is big, really big. I just hope the coaching staff get the players' heads on that game when they come back from their time off and don't allow people inside the building to start peeking further down the schedule. Let's face it lose to Atlanta and we are playing 4 pointless football games.

The Falcons game is big, really big. I just hope the coaching staff get the players' heads on that game when they come back from their time off and don't allow people inside the building to start peeking further down the schedule. Let's face it lose to Atlanta and we are playing 4 pointless football games.

Couldn't agree more. While the bye comes at a good time to get everyone rested, we've seen several teams lately look very sluggish coming back from the off week. The fact this team is so young may be a benefit in that regard. It's hardly as if EJ is brimming with over-confidence.

Have to hope the coaches are really focused on keeping the energy level high when they resume practice, and obviously getting Stevie and Woody back will be huge. Gilmore should continue to get healthier as well.

One thing working in the Bills' favor is that Atlanta plays the Saints this Thursday. If they're going to get up for any game it's that one, and we could see a team the following Sunday that is on one big let-down.

I dunno...

2-8 Falcons @Toronto

2-8 @ Bucs

1-9 @ Jags

5-5 Dolphins

7-2 @ Patriots

3 teams on the road, and one of them the division leader at 7-2

The Falcon's Game is the one that scares me if I am to be honest. Matt Ryan is unpredictable. Their Defense has not been that great, but if their offense comes to play I will be pissed! The Pat's game worries me but does not scare me like the Falcons game. Everyone knows how T.B plays. He's a great quarterback. Their defense is old, slow and kind of sucky. But they will have the division locked up by then, and unless last nights loss starts some kind of N.E implosion(one could only hope), most if not all the starters will be resting for the Bills game. Definitely a winnable game.

BigPappy

Couldn't agree more. While the bye comes at a good time to get everyone rested, we've seen several teams lately look very sluggish coming back from the off week. The fact this team is so young may be a benefit in that regard. It's hardly as if EJ is brimming with over-confidence.

Have to hope the coaches are really focused on keeping the energy level high when they resume practice, and obviously getting Stevie and Woody back will be huge. Gilmore should continue to get healthier as well.

One thing working in the Bills' favor is that Atlanta plays the Saints this Thursday. If they're going to get up for any game it's that one, and we could see a team the following Sunday that is on one big let-down.

The Bills are definitely a better team than our next three opponents. W/regards to Atlanta, we have a much better defense and better running game. Now that Julio is out, we have a similar WR corp. They have a much better TE and a better QB. We have a better O-line.

The Bills should absolutely win vs. Atlanta, but that hasn't stopped them from losing before.

It really comes down to the idea of whether or not this Buffalo team is different than the Buffalo teams of the last decade. My gut says they are. Old Buffalo teams would have lost one or two of these next three games. It's going to take a new attitude to run off some wins, I hope they have it.

The Browns suck and we do not need to worry about them. I am more worried about Pitt.

And we lost to them by 10+ points.

The Falcon's Game is the one that scares me if I am to be honest. Matt Ryan is unpredictable. Their Defense has not been that great, but if their offense comes to play I will be pissed! The Pat's game worries me but does not scare me like the Falcons game. Everyone knows how T.B plays. He's a great quarterback. Their defense is old, slow and kind of sucky. But they will have the division locked up by then, and unless last nights loss starts some kind of N.E implosion(one could only hope), most if not all the starters will be resting for the Bills game. Definitely a winnable game.

BigPappy

We are yet to win in Foxboro (Lifetime at Gillette Stadium). Our defense will be primed against Matt Ryan. The game that scares me is the two road games against Tampa Bay and Jacksonville. This Bills team has just been very inconsistent and I do not trust them yet to put a string of wins together.

Two things:

(1) bills haven't had enough success to take any opponent lightly. Not a one. They are a few scores from being a 1 or 2 win team too. Carolina, Bal and even Miami were down to the wire.

(2) They only deserve a playoff spot if they win out with this schedule, because that's what good teams do against bad teams and make no mistake, ATL, TB, Jax and Mia are bad teams.

I will be ecstatic if they make it to Foxburogh ready to play for a Wildcard birth but they need to take care of biz.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

Two things:

(1) bills haven't had enough success to take any opponent lightly. Not a one. They are a few scores from being a 1 or 2 win team too. Carolina, Bal and even Miami were down to the wire.

(2) They only deserve a playoff spot if they win out with this schedule, because that's what good teams do against bad teams and make no mistake, ATL, TB, Jax and Mia are bad teams.

I will be ecstatic if they make it to Foxburogh ready to play for a Wildcard birth but they need to take care of biz.

Good post - but I will add that they are also a few scores from being 7-4 right now as well (NE, Cincy, Jets part 1 all down to the wire/OT)... so that works both ways. I absolutely agree that they cannot take any team lightly. They have not proven to be able to do that, ever. I don't think they will though because it is a young team that seems to get up for every game mixed with leaders like Fred and Kyle who know better. It is Marrone's 1st season, just can't see him ever taking anyone lightly. Edited by YoloInTheBlo

This isn't about hoisting the Lombardi trophy, or even about making the playoffs this year. This is about heading into the bye with a chance and something to play for.

Right now we want this weekend (since we can't watch the Bills):

Broncos over Patriots

Panthers over Dolphins

Ravens over Jets

Chiefs over Chargers

Those four things aren't that unlikely and give us something to focus on this weekend. Additionally four of the 4-6 teams play us so two of them will join us at 4-7 no matter what.

That sets us up for the following week to play meaningful games in December, which is a pretty cool stepping stone given all that has gone on.

We would be trying to win a winnable game Dec 1 against the Falcons and not having any make or break matchups to root for to bridge us to hope alive on Dec 8th.

We are a big longshot at this point, and realistically aren't going to make it, but having hope through the bye week and into December is more fun than sorting out draft position, and also is a really big positive for the 2014 Bills as this young team heads in to its second season under the coaching staff and QB primed for some continued success.