Official Playoff Possibilities Thread

eball

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The giants always make a late season push...why not us....the suffering has to end sometime....superbowl until mathematically eliminated!

Oh to be like the GMEN: With that weird mojo-comes and goes…..no team in the NFC will want to play them if they get in again this year. In their 2 recent SB's, they were WC both times - played (won) 5/6 games on the road.

Give me ONE of those lousy stinking rotten playoff wins for the Bills!!!!!

Give me a break...the Bills aren't making the playoffs. Even an optimist can see that.

You honestly think this team can win out?

Why participate in this thread then?

At the risk of jumping the proverbial gun, perhaps this thread may be pinned until either the Bills clinch a spot or are mathematically eliminated from playoff contention?

Following week 11 action (one game pending) the Bills (4-7) sit at 14th in the AFC, yet are only 1.5 games behind the final Wild Card leaders at 5-5 (NYJ, MIA).

Teams #8-13 (OAK, TEN, PIT, BAL, SD, CLE) have identical 4-6 records.

Next week there are some big games that will shake things up a bit, while the Bills sit home and get healthy:

SD @ KC (Go Chefs)

CAR @ MIA (Go Panthers)

PIT @ CLE (Bills lost to both, but I think we root for the Browns here)

NYJ @ BAL (Go Ravens)

TEN @ OAK (Raiders have the better conference record, so go Titans)

Bottom line -- if the Jets and Fish both lose next week, no matter what else happens Buffalo is one stinking game out of a playoff spot with five to go.

Definitely want Browns to beat Stillers, Stillers have better chance to make a run. I can't believe Raiders have better conf record than Titans! Come on Fitz! Lol.

Haven't posted in awhile but I'm here to say the optimism is founded, they should be favored in their next 4 games and currently own the tiebreaker with Baltimore and could very easily own the same against MIA and the Jets as well. Bal has the easiest schedule but the biggest threat is PIT as others have said, but it is without a doubt with mediocrity like this a possibility

it's not so much that I think they'll make the playoffs as it is a reason to watch the game for more than just prospects for next year. There's no denying that the possibility of the playoffs makes these games about 400x more exciting.

And you definitely cannot deny that, in terms of combined records, we have one of the easiest schedules moving forward.

As I looked at this more closely, the key will be the Jets and how the AFC North shakes out. The other teams have insane schedules (though anything can happen, of course).

1) NYJ. If the Jets lose @ Balt and @ Carolina, we will have identical records (9-7; 6-6 AFC; 4-2 division). I would think then we go SOS for the tie-break, right?

2) AFC North. Pit needs to lose @ Balt and @ GB. Baltimore needs to lose at home to Patriots or @ Detroit.

Edit: The tie-break with the jets will first be best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, then would be conference record, and then would be strength of victory (i.e., the combined won-lost-tied percentage of all the teams that a club has defeated). For common games, we would be tied with the Jets at 7-5. We would then be tied at conference record at 6-6. I think we might end up losing the last tie-break, because we lost to the Saints and the Jets beat them. I think we would need to have Carolina and Baltimore finish strong, and the Saints and Browns fade to have a shot at this third tie-break.

Edited by JR in Pittsburgh

this-----^

They don't even need to win out. 1 loss and there's still hope. Just depends on who the loss is to.

I get it that mathematically this may be true but realistically we need to run the table. If the Bills play up to their potential given the remaining opponents this is not out of the realm of possibilities. However, with a rookie QB it is a very tall order.

As I looked at this more closely, the key will be the Jets and how the AFC North shakes out. The other teams have insane schedules (though anything can happen, of course).

1) NYJ. If the Jets lose @ Balt and @ Carolina, we will have identical records (9-7; 6-6 AFC; 4-2 division). I would think then we go SOS for the tie-break, right?

2) AFC North. Pit needs to lose @ Balt and @ GB. Baltimore needs to lose at home to Patriots or @ Detroit.

1.) SOS would be right, IF and thats a big bold if, they sweep Miami.

2.) Pitt has 4 divisional games remaining. They would basically have to go 3-1 in those games and the Bills would lose on a tie-breaker. Is it possible? sure anything is. But the AFCN play each other tough.

Bottom line is that 8-8 will not cut it. If they lose even one more game, they are done. Looking at schedules of the other teams in the race though, it's still possible. Jets and Miami play each other twice. I think the Fins are the defacto better team. Week 16 @Buffalo is the biggest game of the season, assuming that Buffalo doesn't drop one before then. Some have suggested the Steelers, but looking at their schedule, I don't see a cake walk. I actually think that if you look at the collective records of teams remaining that the Bills have the easiest schedule in the NFL. The single biggest risk to missing the playoffs is being 8-7 and having to go to NE in a game that could potentially matter for home field advantage. To a degree, it's going to come down to Denver and whether they can hold onto the 2 game advantage they currently have over NE. The game at NE in a few weeks should be interesting.

1.) SOS would be right, IFand thats a big bold if, they sweep Miami.

2.) Pitt has 4 divisional games remaining. They would basically have to go 3-1 in those games and the Bills would lose on a tie-breaker. Is it possible? sure anything is. But the AFCN play each other tough.

I just edited my original post re the tie-breaker with the Jets. I will re-post that part below:

Edit: The tie-break with the jets will first be best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, then would be conference record, and then would be strength of victory (i.e., the combined won-lost-tied percentage of all the teams that a club has defeated). For common games, we would be tied with the Jets at 7-5. We would then be tied at conference record at 6-6. I think we might end up losing the last tie-break, because we lost to the Saints and the Jets beat them. I think we would need to have Carolina and Baltimore finish strong, and the Saints and Browns fade to have a shot at this third tie-break.

Bottom line is that we really need to root hard for Carolina and Baltimore, and root against the Saints and Browns.

What "sucks" is to be disappointed that your favorite football team has a chance, although slim, to end a long playoff drought, and all you're thinking about is not getting a high enough draft pick.

Feel free to post elsewhere if this thread disappoints you too much.

Agree 100% -- when I click on this thread, the proverbial glass "is half full" !!