Who wants to apologize to Jairus Byrd?

26CornerBlitz

OMHO..........Byrd will not be signed......and, the reason has nothing to do with Byrd. The real problems is the cap money wasted on Fitzpatrick.......the Bills will be in cap jail for a couple of years because of that. They have others they need to resign....spiller comes to mind, but other good performers are coming up on the market soon enough.....we have upcoming safeties....Williams Searcy and I think that they are not 8 mil per guys......so, I am thinking Byrd is going elsewhere. Bills would like him, and will now pay the price for signing the big bucks for Fitz.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMHO..........Byrd will not be signed......and, the reason has nothing to do with Byrd. The real problems is the cap money wasted on Fitzpatrick.......the Bills will be in cap jail for a couple of years because of that. They have others they need to resign....spiller comes to mind, but other good performers are coming up on the market soon enough.....we have upcoming safeties....Williams Searcy and I think that they are not 8 mil per guys......so, I am thinking Byrd is going elsewhere. Bills would like him, and will now pay the price for signing the big bucks for Fitz.

This has been shown to be patently false as the Bills currently have more cap room next year than all but a handful of teams and can roll much of the unused cap this year to next year...most of the teams with more cap room than the Bills also have 6-10 fewer players under contract as well next year

There were a lot of assumptions and attacks made on his character and that was total crap. Bottomline, it's a business. If he blow out his knee and never got a cent from NFL, would you offer to give him money? He should get every penny he can get because he will be dumped by some NFL team the second he isn't valuable. But the player is always the bad guy and not the team.

I don't recall much in the way of character attacks until he claimed he was hurt. As far as the player always being the bad guy, it sounds like selective recognition. There are half-wits that automatically take the side of the player, about an equal number of half-wits who automatically take the side of the organization, and the rest take it on a case by case basis. Can you honestly say you're in the 3rd category?

If the Bills can't sign Byrd very few teams could. The Bills have a lot of salary cap room next year relative to the rest of the league.

I believe the link on here the other day said the Bills only had $98M committed next season and most teams being $100M+ and the Saints at $131M with Jimmy Graham a pending free agent.

I say this at the risk of starting a firestorm.......cuz there were people on here who thought that having only $20M in cap space THIS year was cutting it close.

Lets not forget that he wants to be the highest paid safety in the NFL... is he really worth that much?

Or will the Bills draft HaSean "Haha" Clinton Dix with that first round pick? Or tag him again and draft an OLB Mack / Mosley?

which safeties do you think will be worth more, you know, until someone else is paid more a year or two later?

I want him on our team.

I don't think the Bills are willing to pay him the money he wants, though. That doesn't make me angry at the Bills, nor at Byrd, it's business. However, I do dislike when players hold out, especially when with an injury that the staff could have been working on. Past is past, though. Hope we can make a push for the playoffs with him here... but if not, wish him luck on his future team.

I'll agree I liked his comments on Murph's show... BUT we've never heard what the Bills offered and what his agent is demanding.

All we know for sure is that the Bills were willing to pay AT LEAST the value of the franchise tag. (Not chump change)

I also agree that the Plantar Faciitis is a tough injury from a perception sense for someone just coming back from a contract hold-out. I've had it, but it is very 'misty'

Who knows, happy to have him on our team, but want to be able to keep as many of these players around as possible.

Is it an additional 4-10? Leonhard and Aaron Williams also have 3 interceptions too.

No comparison between Leonhard and Byrd. AW is a SS so nice complement to Byrd.

Williams is a SS. Searcy is a package player. Neither can replace the value of Byrd in this defense. Spiller has a 5 year rookie contract and Bills may or may not resign him when it is up, he is not as integral, at least at this time, as Byrd. I like Spiller and wouldn't want to trade him but if we can't sign him because he wants too much $$ I think he he could more easily replaced in this system through the draft. Not easy to find a difference-making FS in the draft. Edited by YoloInTheBlo

There were a lot of assumptions and attacks made on his character and that was total crap. Bottomline, it's a business. If he blow out his knee and never got a cent from NFL, would you offer to give him money? He should get every penny he can get because he will be dumped by some NFL team the second he isn't valuable. But the player is always the bad guy and not the team.

Not really. I was totally on Byrd's side until he came up with the PF.

The few times Byrd has talked about his situation he usually mentions being somewhere where he's wanted. Most players want to be resigned before the last year of their contract, one single play on the field can end their career and they know it.

Buddy Nix always seemed to take his time resigning players and I think it really bit the organization hard in this case. To Whaley,Marrone, and Brandon's credit they have remained upbeat, positive, and sound like they really want Jairus here.

Byrd may also just be sick of losing and the coaching turnover. Hopefully he thinks we're on the way up now.

I like him and hope we re-sign him. Given his contract is in limbo, I don't blame him one bit for making sure he was sufficiently healed from plantar fascitis. Why risk a serious injury and hurt his chances of getting a lucrative contract?

The few times Byrd has talked about his situation he usually mentions being somewhere where he's wanted. Most players want to be resigned before the last year of their contract, one single play on the field can end their career and they know it.

Buddy Nix always seemed to take his time resigning players and I think it really bit the organization hard in this case. To Whaley,Marrone, and Brandon's credit they have remained upbeat, positive, and sound like they really want Jairus here.

Byrd may also just be sick of losing and the coaching turnover. Hopefully he thinks we're on the way up now.

I like him and hope we re-sign him. Given his contract is in limbo, I don't blame him one bit for making sure he was sufficiently healed from plantar fascitis. Why risk a serious injury and hurt his chances of getting a lucrative contract?

Bills can easily make him feel wanted with dollar signs. Regardless of how Buddy made him feel before. Money (1) and winning (2) will lead to him staying.

No comparison between Leonhard and Byrd. AW is a SS so nice complement to Byrd.

Williams is a SS. Searcy is a package player. Neither can replace the value of Byrd in this defense. Spiller has a 5 year rookie contract and Bills may or may not resign him when it is up, he is not as integral, at least at this time, as Byrd. I like Spiller and wouldn't want to trade him but if we can't sign him because he wants too much $$ I think he he could more easily replaced in this system through the draft. Not easy to find a difference-making FS in the draft.

Spiller doesn't become a free agent at this point until 2016. He is in fact signed for 2014 and 2015 seasons, and not for a lot of money.

All we know for sure is that the Bills were willing to pay AT LEAST the value of the franchise tag. (Not chump change)

even then we dont know length, guarantees, etc... which could have been skewed heavily either way. really, as outsiders, its hard to have a strong opinion on who was "right" or "wrong."

If the Bills can't sign Byrd very few teams could. The Bills have a lot of salary cap room next year relative to the rest of the league.

I believe the link on here the other day said the Bills only had $98M committed next season and most teams being $100M+ and the Saints at $131M with Jimmy Graham a pending free agent.

I say this at the risk of starting a firestorm.......cuz there were people on here who thought that having only $20M in cap space THIS year was cutting it close.

One team that would be in a good position to sign Byrd is the Redskins. They will be off of their $36 M two year cap punishment (2x$18 M). They have a desperate need to upgrade their secondary and defense. Byrd would be a terrific fit for them.

The Bills are currently not only $20 M under the cap this year but they rolled a portion of Fitz's salary into next year. If the Bills and the Skins are both vying for Byrd's services next year the Skins would easily win that bidding war. They will structure the contract in such a way that Byrd woulld get more guaranteed money while the Bills would simply move on to a cheaper player.

Byrd and his agent fought hard for a maximum contract last year. They didn't get it. When he gets to his free agency status he is not going to let it go to waste. Anyone who thinks that the Bills are going to franchise him again at an $8.2 rate is wishfully thinking. He is not dumb enough to take a hometown discount after what he went through in last year's hardnosed stance taken by both parties. The only way he is going to be retained is if the Bills give him the highest offer. It is as simple as that. It's a business approach that both parties are going to take.

One team that would be in a good position to sign Byrd is the Redskins. They will be off of their $36 M two year cap punishment (2x$18 M). They have a desperate need to upgrade their secondary and defense. Byrd would be a terrific fit for them.

The Bills are currently not only $20 M under the cap this year but they rolled a portion of Fitz's salary into next year. If the Bills and the Skins are both vying for Byrd's services next year the Skins would easily win that bidding war. They will structure the contract in such a way that Byrd woulld get more guaranteed money while the Bills would simply move on to a cheaper player.

Byrd and his agent fought hard for a maximum contract last year. They didn't get it. When he gets to his free agency status he is not going to let it go to waste. Anyone who thinks that the Bills are going to franchise him again at an $8.2 rate is wishfully thinking. He is not dumb enough to take a hometown discount after what he went through in last year's hardnosed stance taken by both parties. The only way he is going to be retained is if the Bills give him the highest offer. It is as simple as that. It's a business approach that both parties are going to take.

8.2m with absolutely no long term promised money is still an affordable deal for a top of the market player. its still the same ballpark as the guys like weddle, berry, goldson, etc.... but if he blows out a knee and is in a spot he may never play the same, they let him walk with no cap hit, and get a compensatory pick still potentially - or get to sign him at the discount.

theres no reason 8.2m should be off the table. really, thats the ballpark of what hed see long term so the bills still get a year of working it to their advantage with no real downside. hed even be well versed in the defense already if he skipped camp.

Edited by NoSaint