Who wants to apologize to Jairus Byrd?

26CornerBlitz

The Bills still hold the hammer by virtue of the franchise tag. If they choose not to use it, fine, but they didn't really have to stick to it this year....but they did it anyway.

Before Byrd ever came to camp they had a pretty good idea that they could survive without him at safety. They could have pulled the tag off in August if they didn't intend to follow thru and saved a whole lotta' money.

The Bills may want to spend that money elsewhere this offseason but I don't really expect that. Chandler and Branch(or maybe Carrington) might be re-signed but I don't expect them to pursue any 3-down starting players in free agency so they should again be flush with cash. Their starting left guard next year will be a draft pick or a scrap heap acquisition. Buddy didn't invest a lot of important chips in OL in his 4 years here......and Whaley was his lead personnel man so I don't expect that philosophy to change considerably.

And they have espoused cash to the cap in the past and the franchise tag fits that model pretty well. If Byrd decides he wants to play footsie again then so be it.

Badol, I couldn't agree more. There is SO much to say about this that I have to itemize my thoughts lol.....

1) Unless Manuel plays as bad as Losman/RJ at their worst, the Bills will not draft a qb in round 1.

2) If the Bills let Byrd walk and draft Clinton-Dix (who as a Tide Fan I watch every week), people will praise this as a good move. I for one think that it would be stupid. It would be simply digging out of another self created hole. And btw as much as I watch Clinton-Dix, I am not at all sure that he would be a step up from Byrd. How 'bout you?

3) I watched Gabe Jackson, the LG from Miss. St. He looks like a monster to me. Have you seen him? LG is now a need because the Bills let Levitre walk, and I still maintain that this cost us at least one win, probably more.

4) I think that 90% of fans miss the importance of the new CBA and the impact it has made. Draft choices cost little as compared to the past. The money switched hands from rookies to the QBs. The Ravens are paying Flacco more than 20 million per year. Manuel costs the Bills 20 cents. The Bills have tons of cap space. They can grab another pass rusher or OT in the draft for pennies providing they don't create holes with Byrd. They already did so with Levitre.

5) The Bills simply cannot let Parker dictate terms. If the Bills can't sign Byrd (and I hope they can), they need to slap the tag right on his a$$. Then as I said, they can go after talented players at positions of greater importance.

Edited by Bill from NYC

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jaurius Byrd is making $6.916 M this year, not $7.9 M this season.

When Brandon was asked on WGR if he felt that Bryd was maligering because of a contract dispute he said absolutely not. Brandon stated that he regularly saw him at the facility and was convinced that he was doing everything necessary to get healthy and get back on the field.

When Marrone was asked on WGR if he felt that Byrd was milking the situation because of a contract dispute he said absolutely not. He said he saw him every day working hard to get back to full health and get back on the field.

Many people continue to make the claim that he was not getting back on the field out of spite. What do they base their speculative claim on? Certainly they are not basing it on what his bossess and fellow players witnessed on a first hand basis. Not one playerI called out JB for not playing when he was not ready to play.

Yet many people continue to make a claim that he declined to play because he was upset with the way he was treated. There is no doubt he was not happy with his contract situation but he handled this situation in a way that was the right thing for him and the team.

It was not in the team's interest nor his own interest to prematurely get back on the field with his foot injury. Re-aggravating that type of foot injury could set him back by a year. Yet people continue say what they think he did while simply basing it on their prejudicial impression. If the top sources within the organization are saying the opposite of what those who are smearing JB are saying I will lean toward those in the know rather than those on the outside who are guessing.

The bottom line is that it was in his own interest to get back on the field because he was entering another free agency year. It was also in the team's interest to observe him play while he was healthy rather than impaired so that they can make a reasoned judgment on his next contract offer.

of course no one from the bills organization is going to hint or suggest Byrd is "milking it" or "overly cautious" or anything of the like if they have any hope whatsoever of signing him long term.

i have no proof whatsoever that he could have played if he wanted to, just like his apologists have no proof whatsoever that his absense was totally legit and had absolutely nothing to do with the ugly business side of things, even though it was just a coincidence he finally decided to play after the trade deadline passed.

Byrd does not want to be here and will not sign long term with the bills. he will continue to do everything he can to force the bills to not tag him again or trade him. the only way he plays for the bills next year is if they tag him again for $8.3 mil, at which time he will reaggravate his foot.

Do you understand that he wasn't under contract and the team's execs/coaches have had nothing but praise for his professionalism/attitude?

First, he was under contract... Transitioned from the final year of his deal to a franchise tag.... Secondly, what the FO says is all a puppet show.... Byrd refused to sign his franchise tender and then held out of camp until it was apparent that he held out long enough to no play in any preseason games, then, when he came in wasn't in football shape, and in no time was off the field with this P.F. nonsense...

If you honestly think he conducted himself as a professional, I have beachfront property for sale- cheap!

First, he was under contract... Transitioned from the final year of his deal to a franchise tag.... Secondly, what the FO says is all a puppet show.... Byrd refused to sign his franchise tender and then held out of camp until it was apparent that he held out long enough to no play in any preseason games, then, when he came in wasn't in football shape, and in no time was off the field with this P.F. nonsense...

If you honestly think he conducted himself as a professional, I have beachfront property for sale- cheap!

Your post is so full of inaccuracies that it's beyond ridiculous and does not merit serious consideration. But, whatever you say CC. :thumbsup:

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Not arguing whether Leonhard was a problem or not. The issues you are raising are immaterial to what was being discussed. BTW, how is saying he's not as good as Byrd "tossing him under the bus"? You should have saved your key strokes in this particular instance.

Actually, I was cutting off the "Jim Leonhard cost us games" hijack at the pass.......because there were ACTUAL players who literally were the difference between winning and losing many games in the first half of the season and Leonhard was not one of them. He made some plays and he got trucked a few times. The Bills had players who were getting killed for 60 minutes each game and noboby to relieve them. Short of signing Byrd long term, the Bills did everything right when handling his situation and the Leonhard signing was like finding your 18th or19th best starter on the street, which is basically what they did. Where they blew it was by not spending a bit more of that cash in the bargain bin that was NFL free agency last offseason and getting themselves better OL and CB play.

*Of course, let it be known that I believe in addressing secondary needs in free agency when there is value there. Like this past offseason. Situations like Justin Rogers and Colin Brown cause the Bills to overreact and use first and second round picks on positions they don't actually value enough in FA to re-sign at market value.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

Actually, I was cutting off the "Jim Leonhard cost us games" hijack at the pass.......because there were ACTUAL players who literally were the difference between winning and losing many games in the first half of the season and Leonhard was not one of them. He made some plays and he got trucked a few times. The Bills had players who were getting killed for 60 minutes each game and noboby to relieve them. Short of signing Byrd long term, the Bills did everything right when handling his situation and the Leonhard signing was like finding your 18th or19th best starter on the street, which is basically what they did. Where they blew it was by not spending a bit more of that cash in the bargain bin that was NFL free agency last offseason and getting themselves better OL and CB play.

*Of course, let it be known that I believe in addressing secondary needs in free agency when there is value there. Like this past offseason. Situations like Justin Rogers and Colin Brown cause the Bills to overreact and use first and second round picks on positions they don't actually value enough in FA to re-sign at market value.

Good points.

Badol, I couldn't agree more. There is SO much to say about this that I have to itemize my thoughts lol.....

1) Unless Manuel plays as bad as Losman/RJ at their worst, the Bills will not draft a qb in round 1.

2) If the Bills let Byrd walk and draft Clinton-Dix (who as a Tide Fan I watch every week), people will praise this as a good move. I for one think that it would be stupid. It would be simply digging out of another self created hole. And btw as much as I watch Clinton-Dix, I am not at all sure that he would be a step up from Byrd. How 'bout you?

3) I watched Gabe Jackson, the LG from Miss. St. He looks like a monster to me. Have you seen him? LG is now a need because the Bills let Levitre walk, and I still maintain that this cost us at least one win, probably more.

4) I think that 90% of fans miss the importance of the new CBA and the impact it has made. Draft choices cost little as compared to the past. The money switched hands from rookies to the QBs. The Ravens are paying Flacco more than 20 million per year. Manuel costs the Bills 20 cents. The Bills have tons of cap space. They can grab another pass rusher or OT in the draft for pennies providing they don't create holes with Byrd. They already did so with Levitre.

5) The Bills simply cannot let Parker dictate terms. If the Bills can't sign Byrd (and I hope they can), they need to slap the tag right on his a$$. Then as I said, they can go after talented players at positions of greater importance.

1) I agree that they probably won't but I think they probably should take the best QB they can get. In the long run....that is the surest way to get your QB. It's awful tempting to take that pass rusher or tight end, but that regular position player doesn't mean much compared to a QB. The way sports are going......having a "draw" has become more important to franchise stability than ever. Look at the deals that Derek Jeter and Kobe Bryant just signed. Those guys may never be difference making players again and they just got raises for making people tune in and subsequently increasing TV deals by the billions. You gotta' ask yourself.......if you drafted Johnny Manziel......he may turn out to be a bust.........but he also may get a $2B retractable roof stadium built for you. I am not sure EJ Manuel could do that winning SB's. Some guys sell, others do not. And that is part of the equation.

2)Clinton-Dix is a talented player but you almost have to ask yourself just how talented you want to be at certain positions. Look at the jam the Bills got themselves in with Byrd and Levitre. When you pick a safety and an OG in the second round you EXPECT them to become very good. But in most free agent markets very good gets paid very good. If you can't pay Andy Levitre you are better off with two Kraig Urbiks. You don't need to spend a second round pick on Kraig Urbik. I don't necessarily agree with that particular position.......I want a dominant OL......but if you want to create a long term solid program then don't use top picks on players who aren't worth market value. I can't imagine Clinton-Dix ever playing well enough to be paid the $10M plus per year that he would earn at the end of his 4 year rookie deal........so I think it is as simple as that. No way do you take a safety in round one.

3)I like Gabe Jackson, he is definitely a good, physical player. Cyril Richardson of Baylor is another high profile prospect and I like the fact that he plays in an up-tempo run-to-set-up pass attack. He is huge too. You know what is funny though, when draft season gets rolling the draft haters and apologists will be out talking about how the draft is a crapshoot........and yet so many of the first and second round prospects were the top HS prospects in the country 3 years ago. Clowney, Kouandjio, Bridgewater, Clinton-Dix, Seferian-Jenkins, Ebron, Amaro......calling the draft a crap-shoot is an insult to scouting.

4)Couldn't agree more. Doesn't matter who the Bills pick in the first round that player will not be a burden on the salary cap. If you can get a player like Cordy Glenn in the second round you are playing with house money for 4 years.

5)Screw Eugene Parker. I think when the Bills vacate the visiting lockerroom the other team sends in the guys in the hazmat suits. He is worse than staph in your lockerroom with his "justified approach" and Marv Levy is to blame for drawing him to Buffalo.

I think the Bills are doing their best to contain the infection, finally. Very impressed with how they suppressed Eugene's efforts. Now, they should get a deal done. They HAVE the money. Byrd has put in his time. He played footsie with the team this fall, no doubt in my mind a panic move by Parker, but I think that served the purpose of showing the players that the team isn't being vindictive. That matters. Resolute but not vindictive. Most of their big money positions are filled on the cheap for the next several years. Get something done and fill other positons.

of course no one from the bills organization is going to hint or suggest Byrd is "milking it" or "overly cautious" or anything of the like if they have any hope whatsoever of signing him long term.

If Marrone or Brandon felt that Byrd was hustling the system they would have reacted to that type of team destructive behavior. On a daily basis they watched him rehab and work out. Not one person from the upper echelon of the organization to all the coaches and players on the team indicated that his behavior was inauthentic. What it comes down to is that those in the room with him find his behavior appropriate while people from the outside who have no contact with him making assumptions that they have no basis to make from other than that is their guess.

i have no proof whatsoever that he could have played if he wanted to, just like his apologists have no proof whatsoever that his absense was totally legit and had absolutely nothing to do with the ugly business side of things, even though it was just a coincidence he finally decided to play after the trade deadline passed.

You have no proof that he could have played when he was out rehabbing his well documented injury because there is no proof. Making up besmirching assertions on the basis of no facts other than your non-factual opinion is a very weak way to support your position. You can call me an apologist for him if you want. But my opinion regarding his conduct in based on people in the organization who saw him every day. What it comes down to is that you want me and others who find little fault with the way Byrd conducted himself to disprove a negative characterization of him that you base on nothing but your impression.

Do you honestly believe that Brandon and Marrone would want to sign Byrd to a longterm contract (as they have both unequivocably stated) if they felt that he cheated the organization by malingering?

Byrd does not want to be here and will not sign long term with the bills. he will continue to do everything he can to force the bills to not tag him again or trade him. the only way he plays for the bills next year is if they tag him again for $8.3 mil, at which time he will reaggravate his foot.

Byrd and the organization are going to act in their own best interests. How else do you expect the parties to behave? If Byrd can make more money with another team he will do so. What is wrong with that? It's a business approach and the right approach to take in the business of the NFL.

Edited by JohnC

(1) I agree, but I would like to see them take a QB in round 3 or 4, even if EJ plays well in the last 5 games. (2) I agree re Clinton-Dix. It is unlikely that he will be as good as Byrd, especially in his first couple years in the NFL. And by the way, am I wrong to think that Tide players are establishing a pattern of underperforming in the NFL? I know there are plenty of good NFL players from Alabama, but I can't think of many stars and, given the dominance of the program, there should be dozens. Remember the U in the 90s and early 2000s? It was a Pro Bowl factory, and those teams were not as good as the Tide is today. I have no working theory as to why this is so, but it seems to be the case. As a Tide observer, do you agree?

Edited by mannc

.......cuz there were people on here who thought that having only $20M in cap space THIS year was cutting it close.

I take particular interest in the cap and the discussions involving it on the board and I can't remember anybody suggesting anything at all in regards to what you have written here.

The Bills are currently not only $20 M under the cap this year but they rolled a portion of Fitz's salary into next year. If the Bills and the Skins are both vying for Byrd's services next year the Skins would easily win that bidding war. They will structure the contract in such a way that Byrd woulld get more guaranteed money while the Bills would simply move on to a cheaper player.

There really is no logic in your premise here. The Bills will be in a better cap situation than the Redskins and considering that the Mario signing was just 2 years ago.....there is no reason to believe that if the Bills really want to keep Byrd that they won't do it.

My views on Byrd are that up to this point the Bills have obviously factored his potential contract into future cap calculations.

A lot of people seem oblivious to the fact that signing players to big contracts not only effects the caps of today and tomorrow.....but for several years after that.

I see Byrd being a Bill next year unless either another team offers him a ridiculously high contract(unlikely due to the standard current NFL team cap situations).......or that the emergence of players like A.Williams & Dareus who will likely consume heavy cap dollars in 2015 onwards(mid 2014 hopefully)......Glenn(2016/mid 2015).....and players like Kiko(likely very large contract) and possibly Woods in 2017(mid 2016).....might mean that they readjust their views on the importance of keeping Byrd. (I assume through all of this that they have plans in place for the monies needed to sign a legitimate QB whether that be EJ or somebody else).

Edited by Dibs

If Marrone or Brandon felt that Byrd was hustling the system they would have reacted to that type of team destructive behavior. On a daily basis they watched him rehab and work out. Not one person from the upper echelon of the organization to all the coaches and players on the team indicated that his behavior was inauthentic. What it comes down to is that those in the room with him find his behavior appropriate while people from the outside who have no contact with him making assumptions that they have no basis to make from other than that is their guess.

You have no proof that he could have played when he was out rehabbing his well documented injury because there is no proof. Making up besmirching assertions on the basis of no facts other than your non-factual opinion is a very weak way to support your position. You can call me an apologist for him if you want. But my opinion regarding his conduct in based on people in the organization who saw him every day. What it comes down to is that you want me and others who find little fault with the way Byrd conducted himself to disprove a negative characterization of him that you base on nothing but your impression.

Do you honestly believe that Brandon and Marrone would want to sign Byrd to a longterm contract (as they have both unequivocably stated) if they felt that he cheated the organization by malingering?

Byrd and the organization are going to act in their own best interests. How else do you expect the parties to behave? If Byrd can make more money with another team he will do so. What is wrong with that? It's a business approach and the right approach to take in the business of the NFL.

thank you for that John. all of it

I take particular interest in the cap and the discussions involving it on the board and I can't remember anybody suggesting anything at all in regards to what you have written here.

There were a number.......they can probably be sought out by the keywords "but after signing all of our draft picks there is only" :lol:

But honestly, I am not all that interested in your take on the cap today. I know you think you are a capologist but today that is utterly disinteresting. The cap is not a major issue for the Buffalo Bills. I've been following it since it was instituted. I don't need a lesson. I predicted the cap disaster of 2000-2001 years earlier.......and I say "predicted" because most people on this board thought that restructuring contracts every year to get under the cap and re-sign the Sam Rogers and Ken Irvin's of the world wasn't going to turn into a purge regardless of the data I presented. I then predicted that Donahoe trimmed too much unnecessarily, specifically his ultimatum to Ted Washington......and that contrary to his cries that the team would be cap-locked for years that he would be back at the FA trough in a hurry when he realized he had decimated his roster and couldn't hide behind salary cap scare tactics and still save Gregg Williams. And sure enough, he started losing and the cap suddenly got healthy almost overnight. I have plenty of cap history with this team.

There really is no logic in your premise here. The Bills will be in a better cap situation than the Redskins and considering that the Mario signing was just 2 years ago.....there is no reason to believe that if the Bills really want to keep Byrd that they won't do it.

My views on Byrd are that up to this point the Bills have obviously factored his potential contract into future cap calculations.

A lot of people seem oblivious to the fact that signing players to big contracts not only effects the caps of today and tomorrow.....but for several years after that.

I see Byrd being a Bill next year unless either another team offers him a ridiculously high contract(unlikely due to the standard current NFL team cap situations).......or that the emergence of players like A.Williams & Dareus who will likely consume heavy cap dollars in 2015 onwards(mid 2014 hopefully)......Glenn(2016/mid 2015).....and players like Kiko(likely very large contract) and possibly Woods in 2017(mid 2016).....might mean that they readjust their views on the importance of keeping Byrd. (I assume through all of this that they have plans in place for the monies needed to sign a legitimate QB whether that be EJ or somebody else).

The Redskins come off of their two year $36 M penalty at $18 M per year next year. If they decide to target Byrd to upgrade their poor defensive backfield I am confident that they will win a bidding war with the Bills. They will structure the contract so it is frontloaded with guaranteed money that will make it a more appealing deal for JB.

The issue isn't whether the Bills are in a better cap situation than the Skins or any other team; the issue is whether they are willing to make the financial committment to keep him. The Bills are $20 M under the cap this year. They had the ability to comfortably sign him within their cap space to an extended contract last year, but they didn't. Not only did they have a significant amount of cap space this year but the organization rolled in a portion of Fitz's salary into next year's cap allotment instead of writing it off this year.

The mistake you are making is confusing having the ability to do something with having the willingness to do something. The Bills' record on how they manage their finances is well documented. If the Bills outbid the market they will retain his services. If they don't he will walk. I don't forsee the player agreeing to a hometown discount. It's simply business.

Edited by JohnC

The Redskins come off of their two year $36 M penalty at $18 M per year next year. If they decide to target Byrd to upgrade their poor defensive backfield I am confident that they will win a bidding war with the Bills. They will structure the contract so it is frontloaded with guaranteed money that will make it a more appealing deal for JB.

The issue isn't whether the Bills are in a better cap situation than the Skins or any other team; the issue is whether they are willing to make the financial committment to keep him. The Bills are $20 M under the cap this year. They had the ability to comfortably sign him within their cap space to an extended contract last year, but they didn't. Not only did they have a significant amount of cap space this year but the organization rolled in a portion of Fitz's salary into next year's cap allotment instead of writing it off this year.

The mistake you are making is confusing having the ability to do something with having the willingness to do something. The Bills' record on how they manage their finances is well documented. If the Bills outbid the market they will retain his services. If they don't he will walk. I don't forsee the player agreeing to a hometown discount. It's simply business.

I don't disagree(generally).....I was just pointing out that it isn't a foregone conclusion(like you stated it to be). You have assumed a certain level of "willingness" on the Bills part. I simply pointed out that if the Bills want to resign Byrd, they have the upper hand over the Skins. If you are running under the assumption that the Skins would well over-pay for Byrd.....I covered that by saying "unless either another team offers him a ridiculously high contract".

There were a number.......they can probably be sought out by the keywords "but after signing all of our draft picks there is only" :lol:

.....and those same posters were also assuming a higher number of FA dollars being spent. Without that context added, one would have to be a complete moron to say "After signing all of our draft picks we only have $20M in cap space this year. That will be cutting it close."

But honestly, I am not all that interested in your take on the cap today. I know you think you are a capologist but today that is utterly disinteresting. The cap is not a major issue for the Buffalo Bills. I've been following it since it was instituted. I don't need a lesson. I predicted the cap disaster of 2000-2001 years earlier.......and I say "predicted" because most people on this board thought that restructuring contracts every year to get under the cap and re-sign the Sam Rogers and Ken Irvin's of the world wasn't going to turn into a purge regardless of the data I presented. I then predicted that Donahoe trimmed too much unnecessarily, specifically his ultimatum to Ted Washington......and that contrary to his cries that the team would be cap-locked for years that he would be back at the FA trough in a hurry when he realized he had decimated his roster and couldn't hide behind salary cap scare tactics and still save Gregg Williams. And sure enough, he started losing and the cap suddenly got healthy almost overnight. I have plenty of cap history with this team.

Ummm.....I didn't ask you to be. :unsure:

.....and I never made comment nor implications about your abilities to follow the cap or any of its ramifications.

Edited by Dibs

I don't disagree(generally).....I was just pointing out that it isn't a foregone conclusion(like you stated it to be). You have assumed a certain level of "willingness" on the Bills part. I simply pointed out that if the Bills want to resign Byrd, they have the upper hand over the Skins. If you are running under the assumption that the Skins would well over-pay for Byrd.....I covered that by saying "unless either another team offers him a ridiculously high contract".

Let's just reduce this discussion to simple terms. In my opinion JB is going to sign with the team that pays him the highest salary and most favored structured contract i.e. guaranteed money. The Bills could stymie his ability to be an unrestricted free agent by again franchising him at $8.2 M. While some people believe that the Bills will do that I don't believe they will.

Bryd is not reacting any differently than any player who is in position to be a free agent who is then franchised by their respective team. No player is going to like being franchised. The norm is when the player gets to the market he is going to let it work for him. That is what Levitre did. Without trying to be argumentative on this issue JB is going to maximize his value by letting the market compete for his services. That is how the system is designed.

My positiion from the beginning was that the Bills should have signed him to an extended deal last year. Without a doubt it was going to be a rich deal for him. The Bills had plenty of cap space to get the deal done. If you are going to overpay for a player I would rather have it be for an instrumental player. The Bills payed above market rates for Mario Williams. Most people would agree that it was well worth it. So if you are going to overpay for a safety then do it for an impact player that he has demonstrated to be.

Bryd is not reacting any differently than any player who is in position to be a free agent who is then franchised by their respective team. No player is going to like being franchised.

The time to address that was when they negotiated the CBA. Not for players to individually decide they didn't like the agreement they made later.

The time to address that was when they negotiated the CBA. Not for players to individually decide they didn't like the agreement they made later.

He abided to the terms of the CBA in his contract dealings with the organization. That doesn't mean that he has to like the situation. What do you want him to do? Put on a fake smile and dance for you? Repeating what I have already stated his reaction is the same reaction that nearly all players who are franchised have. All players prefer being a free agent and testing the market rather than being franchised.

Apologize? For what?

Byrd is playing great, and I hope the Bills sign him. I don't think he's a great enough player to make a bad defensive backfield better all by himself, say the way a healthy Revis could. But he makes all the players around him better. With another LB and probably a new CB, and Carrington back from injury, the defense next year is going to be very tough.

Back to Byrd, I don't think anyone at any time said he isn't a very good player. I think the way things played out, with the non-diagnosable injury appearing just when he had to return, and then happily clearing up with enough season left for Byrd to demonstrate his capabilities, is suspicious. Was he really hurt? I have no idea. How did he hurt BOTH feet just working out on his own? Seems odd. My disappointment with him is that he didn't suck it up after he was franchised, understand the position he was in, sign the tender, and report to camp like a professional so he could learn the new system and help his teammates. These days, a "professional" athlete isn't someone who gives everything he's got and prepares as well as possible, it's a guy who gets as much money as possible. Kyle Williams is a professional athlete. Kiko Alonso is a professional athlete. Is Byrd? I'm still not sure. He does prepare very well so he knows what the opposing QB is likely to do, he's almost never out of position, he almost never misses tackles, and he can cover monster TEs and speedy WRs, so the ability is certainly there.

As far as I'm concerned, while Byrd may or may not be a problem, his agent certainly is.