Who wants to apologize to Jairus Byrd?

26CornerBlitz

Truthfully, there was some pretty nasty character assassination going on earlier this season without any foundation in fact.

I still can't figure out why people were so upset with the guy. He didn't say anything bad about the fans, or his teammates. He was negotiating his salary. I was disappointed in the way it turned out, but we don't really know what has transpired between him and the organization.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He for sure sounded all in during his interview after the game . But he will want to be paid .

If we finish the season with some wins i think it may help us in keeping him around , it sounded like he really enjoys playing in Pettines D which is a plus !

But we will have to come off some money to keep him here ...

I will ask you the same question I asked the other like-minded posters: What evidence do you have that Byrd could have or should have come back sooner from his injury?

I gave you the evidence. No one in the history of the planet has a documented case where the treatment recommendation from the doctor did not escalate to surgery. When are you going to show one case? Just one that supports your magical insider information?

I didn't get to read all the posts on here but just wanted to say that I have been one of the few (seemingly) who wants to pay byrd what he wants and keep him here. They are paying EJ peanuts and have the cap room. He is young, talented, and one of the best FS in the league. If he wants to be highest paid FS, make him that. It will just get topped by the next guy's contract. That's how it works. Is Joe Flacco the best QB in the league? Of course not. He just signed the last contract and played so well in that year he deserved it.

Also - I mentioned in the Shoutbox on Friday that it burned me how they were playing up Ed Reed as being a difference-making safety for this game and how he would be such a big threat. No mention of Byrd at all. He gets very little attention. Reed is going on reputation, his name, and that he is now on the Jets. He can't carry Byrd's jock at this point, though.

How's that working out?

so because he is a "probowl" player we should ignore that he held out, skipped camp, then suddenly claimed the only injury that cant be proven, missed a bunch of games, and basically showed us all he doesn't care about us after we drafted his as$. why do you bow down to him? because he caught a football today? wow-that's all that matters I guess. if he apologizes I may allow him to stay here.

And how will you go about not allowing him?

It's not a question of wanting Byrd on the team, it's a question of the wide spread reports that he 'demands to be the top paid safety in the NFL.' (http://nfl.si.com/20...-buffalo-bills/)

I think it's just unrealistic to think the Bills can offer him the most money he can make in the NFL. They just don't have the luxury of say the Redskins that use every bit of accounting magic to spend as much as they possibly can. Reports were the Bills were willing to pay him Top 4 money. That's probably as close as we're going to get. If his primary focus remains paycheck over team (which I can't really hold against him) his greatest value to the Bills might still be in trade value unfortunately.

Edited by disco

I never felt the need to apologize to Bruce Smith whenever he held out, timed his surgeries so he would miss camp, or didn't get his flu shots. When he stepped on the field for us I was damn glad he did, and I thought that he was worth whatever he wanted. But I didn't feel like I had to apologize to him. Same thing with Byrd. It's a business and that works both ways.

I'be been cold on paying any safety big money but Byrd has a clear knack for the football. In a game thats dictated by turnovers I want him on my team. Can they even afford him? Does he even want to stay? These are all questions that will be answered this spring.

Not so sure that's all about Byrd. Leonard got picks too on the same coverage. Instead of dropping both safeties deep in cover two they go cover 1 and FS comes down in an underneath zone (robber coverage). Yes nice play Byrd but I give Pettine props for having they guys in the rights spots.

Too me the best safety on the field today was number is 23.... What a player he has become.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

Apologize for what exactly? For not bending over for his agent? We made a good offer. His agent wanted a lot more. We franchised him for $6.9M. He misses 5-6 games and finally has a game worthy of his rep. Does that prove he's worth $9M+ a year?

It's one game so don't go overboard. I want to keep him here but Parker has to actually negotiate with the Bills, not give ultimatums.

PTR

Well put. It's one game. One good game against a rookie QB who had the entire D line on him all day. Lets see what he does the rest of the season. We are under the cap and should pay him, but not give into Parker's nonsense.

I gave you the evidence. No one in the history of the planet has a documented case where the treatment recommendation from the doctor did not escalate to surgery. When are you going to show one case? Just one that supports your magical insider information?

You gave no evidence of anything. I'm not even sure what your point is. That if he received treatment for at least x months he should have had surgery? I never said I have any inside information. Just the opposite; I have no reason to question Byrd's (or the doctors') decision for him to sit the first 5 games of the year, and neither do you or anyone else here. Back to your original point (again): We are still waiting for you to explain how Byrd failed to "honor his contract". Will you enlighten us, or not ?

Not so sure that's all about Byrd. Leonard got picks too on the same coverage. Instead of dropping both safeties deep in cover two they go cover 1 and FS comes down in an underneath zone (robber coverage). Yes nice play Byrd but I give Pettine props for having they guys in the rights spots.

Too me the best safety on the field today was number is 23.... What a player he has become.

Pettine is doing a great job with these guys. On another note, nice to see Hackett and Marrone make some adjustments and finally air it out.

Well put. It's one game. One good game against a rookie QB who had the entire D line on him all day. Lets see what he does the rest of the season. We are under the cap and should pay him, but not give into Parker's nonsense.

Are you suggesting that this is Byrd's first good game in a Bills uniform? Please list other safeties currently playing that you think are better than Byrd right now. I can't think of any.

Are you suggesting that this is Byrd's first good game in a Bills uniform? Please list other safeties currently playing that you think are better than Byrd right now. I can't think of any.

That's not really the question. The question is whether it's worth breaking the bank for him vs a safety we could plug in for ~$7/m a season. This year, the Bills have basically played lights out at home, and pretty poorly on the road (some exceptions.) That's with and without Byrd.

I wouldn't say it's the first good game he's played this season, but I would say this is the first of his six games this year that's he played like a top NFL safety.

That's not really the question. The question is whether it's worth breaking the bank for him vs a safety we could plug in for ~$7/m a season.

I agree. But at the same time, there should be no hatred of Byrd for trying to be paid as much as the top two safeties in the league when he legitimately believes he's one of them.

I agree. But at the same time, there should be no hatred of Byrd for trying to be paid as much as the top two safeties in the league when he legitimately believes he's one of them.

I'd even go a step further - there should be no hatred for Byrd for wanting to be paid like the top NFL safety when there's probably multiple teams that would pay him as one. I certainly hope the Bills can work out a deal, I'm just afraid it's not realistic if he wants to get the biggest check.

To your other question, here's a good recent ranking of NFL safeties: http://www.footballnation.com/content/nfl-safety-rankings-for-the-2013-campaign/25091/

Unfounded character assassination and many on TSW ridiculously said the Bills were better off w/o Byrd.

Ask me whether I think he was injured severely enough to sit out early games when he was sorely needed and my answer would still be no. His play now does nothing but bolster the fact (to me) that he took the early games off at the expense of his team. I can't prove it, but, he can't disprove it either.

Ask me whether I think he was injured severely enough to sit out early games when he was sorely needed and my answer would still be no. His play now does nothing but bolster the fact (to me) that he took the early games off at the expense of his team. I can't prove it, but, he can't disprove it either.

You may be right, it's definitely a possibility.

Here's the thing and it pertains to every human on the planet: you don't assassinate someone's character without proof. A hunch isn't enough when you're questioning the make-up of a human being. Well, at least that's what I was taught.

Of course, a lot of the niceties of life don't seem to pertain to the internet where people take on "personas" instead of acting like actual human beings.