Who wants to apologize to Jairus Byrd?

26CornerBlitz

the guys is a top tier safety, he's a terrific player we need - I think we should buck up and pay him honestly

If he plays at the level he did today for the rest of the season, I could see giving him a 4-5 year contract at 8 millionish a year.

I have no inside information and neither do you. You have absolutely no idea how severe his injury is/was, what treatment he received in the offseason, whether anyone recommended that he have surgery, whether his doctors are competent, or whether he was simply faking an injury. And, once again, you have failed to advance any plausible motive he might have had to fake an injury. How would doing so have enhanced his value in the marketplace or benefitted him in any other way? It seems to me that it would have done the opposite.

His motive was to get the team that had his rights to release him or sign him to a long term contract. He co-incidentally signed his tender as soon as he would have started missing game checks.

I don't know if surgery was recommended, but it is the standard course of treatment if less aggressive remedies are ineffectual around 6 months. We do know it was debilitating and prevented him from doing his job. We do know he did not have surgery whether it was recommended or not. If it was not recommended, then his doctors likely should be sued for malpractice.

I never claimed inside knowledge. I'm working off the things we do know. You've claimed that he has done everything possible. I'd like for you to back that up.

Edited by jeremy2020

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he plays at the level he did today for the rest of the season, I could see giving him a 4-5 year contract at 8 millionish a year.

His motive was to get the team that had his rights to release him or sign him to a long term contract. He co-incidentally signed his tender as soon as he would have started missing game checks.

I don't know if surgery was recommended, but it is the standard course of treatment if less aggressive remedies are ineffectual around 6 months. We do know it was debilitating and prevented him from doing his job. We do know he did not have surgery whether it was recommended or not. If it was not recommended, then his doctors likely should be sued for malpractice.

I never claimed inside knowledge. I'm working off the things we do know. You've claimed that he has done everything possible. I'd like for you to back that up.

I never said any such thing. I said there is zero evidence that he is a malingerer and nothing you have said changes that. Let's go back to your original accusation: Please tell us how Byrd failed to "honor his contract".

Apologize for what exactly? For not bending over for his agent? We made a good offer. His agent wanted a lot more. We franchised him for $6.9M. He misses 5-6 games and finally has a game worthy of his rep. Does that prove he's worth $9M+ a year?

It's one game so don't go overboard. I want to keep him here but Parker has to actually negotiate with the Bills, not give ultimatums.

PTR

Apologize for what exactly? For not bending over for his agent? We made a good offer. His agent wanted a lot more. We franchised him for $6.9M. He misses 5-6 games and finally has a game worthy of his rep. Does that prove he's worth $9M+ a year?

It's one game so don't go overboard. I want to keep him here but Parker has to actually negotiate with the Bills, not give ultimatums.

PTR

Promo, I have always suspected that you work for the front office. Now we have evidence!! :D

Edited by mannc

I didn't get to read all the posts on here but just wanted to say that I have been one of the few (seemingly) who wants to pay byrd what he wants and keep him here. They are paying EJ peanuts and have the cap room. He is young, talented, and one of the best FS in the league. If he wants to be highest paid FS, make him that. It will just get topped by the next guy's contract. That's how it works. Is Joe Flacco the best QB in the league? Of course not. He just signed the last contract and played so well in that year he deserved it.

Also - I mentioned in the Shoutbox on Friday that it burned me how they were playing up Ed Reed as being a difference-making safety for this game and how he would be such a big threat. No mention of Byrd at all. He gets very little attention. Reed is going on reputation, his name, and that he is now on the Jets. He can't carry Byrd's jock at this point, though.

Yada, yada, yada, he is one of the best in the league and should be paid like it. The Bills can pull another Marshawn Lynch and trade him for some fourth round pick that won't add any value to the team or pay him to be their Free Safety. That just opens another hole in the lineup that needs to be filled. The guy is a playmaker. Playmakers are hard to find. The Bills need playmakers.

@buffalobills

Jairus Byrd on defensive scheme: "There's a menu of things that you can do." Checked into a blitz before a sack of Geno Smith.

@buffalobills

Jairus Byrd: "We're being relentless out there. We went out there and showed that

@buffalobills

Jairus Byrd on defensive scheme: "There's a menu of things that you can do." Checked into a blitz before a sack of Geno Smith.

@buffalobills

Jairus Byrd: "We're being relentless out there. We went out there and showed that

sounds like he's enjoying the scheme eh?

Yada, yada, yada, he is one of the best in the league and should be paid like it. The Bills can pull another Marshawn Lynch and trade him for some fourth round pick that won't add any value to the team or pay him to be their Free Safety. That just opens another hole in the lineup that needs to be filled. The guy is a playmaker. Playmakers are hard to find. The Bills need playmakers.

The Bills need playmakers - you are correct...but it has to be playmakers who WANT to be here. Keep his game in perspective - he had a nice game against a rookie QB who couldn't take the heat....

The Bills need playmakers - you are correct...but it has to be playmakers who WANT to be here. Keep his game in perspective - he had a nice game against a rookie QB who couldn't take the heat....

Right. And don't forget that Byrd's done nothing in his career up until today.

Byrd has had multiple, multiple INT games... against non-rookie QBs... he was tied for AFC lead in INTS two different years of his four years....

Hello!!!

@buffalobills

Jairus Byrd: "I've been here for four years. I want to win here"

Who crapped in your Wheaties today? What's with all these call out threads? We won a game. It's a rare occasion but it doesn't call for any of this. Manuel is a rookie playing like a rookie -at best. Byrd's contract and mysterious injury is yet another major point of concern for a team that simply doesn't win very often.

Yeeesh!

Maybe he should apologize to us for not being in the lineup for several weeks.

Exactly. Aaron Williams played some great free safety for us too.

I understand holding out to get a big payday, but once you sign you have an obligation to your team and the fans to go balls out. If you fail to do that I don't respect you any more, and neither do a lot of other fans who value player integrity and putting the team first.

Maybe someone will extend us a trade offer for a 1st round draft pick.

Roth: Bills' Jairus Byrd makes statement in win over Jets

As for Byrd, 27, and his future with the team, it was clear in his post-game news conference how much he wants to remain in a Bills uniform. Money is always a factor but it's not the only factor. He likes where this team is headed. And if the Bills fail to keep Byrd and his 300-plus career tackles, 21 interceptions and 26 total takeaways in the fold, they'll have a lot of explaining to do.

"Honestly, I'm over that,'' Byrd said of his contract situation. "I've been here four years and I want to win games here.

"I'm having a lot of fun,'' he added. "There are a lot of new faces but I've gotten comfortable and gotten a good feel for everyone in the locker room. A lot of people use the saying 'Family' but it really is. If you can go out there and just play with your brothers and have fun, there's nothing like it.''

Sure doesn't sound like a Byrd readying to fly to a greener pasture.

1384733470002-Jg-111713-Bills-6.jpg

Exactly. Aaron Williams played some great free safety for us too.

I understand holding out to get a big payday, but once you sign you have an obligation to your team and the fans to go balls out. If you fail to do that I don't respect you any more, and neither do a lot of other fans who value player integrity and putting the team first.

Maybe someone will extend us a trade offer for a 1st round draft pick.

I will ask you the same question I asked the other like-minded posters: What evidence do you have that Byrd could have or should have come back sooner from his injury? Are you an expert on his condition? Have you ever examined him? What motive would a free agent-to-be have for skipping out on his team's first five games because of a non-existent injury? The coach said Byrd was 100 percent professional in the manner in which he handled his injury. What reason do you have to question that? And stop saying (or implying) that Byrd held out. He didn't. He was not under contract until he signed the franchise tender offer and he reported almost immediately after doing so.