Oregon-Stanford Tonight

yungmack

Because so many fans on the east coast don't see a whole lot of PAC 12 games (10:00 PM Saturday night start times for east coasters isn't exactly fan-friendly) I wanted to alert you to this one. There are a whole bunch of guys on both teams who will be playing in the NFL including Marcus Mariota who I think is likely to win the Heisman and go Number 1 overall in the draft. I would love to see him in a Bills uni. The game is at 9:00 EST/6:00 PST tonight on ESPN.

Because so many fans on the east coast don't see a whole lot of PAC 12 games (10:00 PM Saturday night start times for east coasters isn't exactly fan-friendly) I wanted to alert you to this one. There are a whole bunch of guys on both teams who will be playing in the NFL including Marcus Mariota who I think is likely to win the Heisman and go Number 1 overall in the draft. I would love to see him in a Bills uni. The game is at 9:00 EST/6:00 PST tonight on ESPN.

I would think is going to kill the NFL in terms of ratings. I am an NFL guy, but this is a no brainier.

When is the last time college football had two headliners like this on a Thursday night? Oklahoma is at Baylor on FS1 at 7:30 as well. Two great games

Also, I give this thread 5 minutes before a mod banishes it to the "college football" forum where it will be seen by two people in the next 8 years

Edited by FluffHead

The

When is the last time college football had two headliners like this on a Thursday night? Oklahoma is at Baylor on FS1 at 7:30 as well. Two great games

Also, I give this thread 5 minutes before a mod banishes it to the "college football" forum where it will be seen by two people in the next 8 years

They ought not to do that...my intent posting this was for Bills fans to "scout" some other players for next May's draft, Mariota in particular. Living in LA, I watch a lot of PAC 12 football so it is no surprise to me that Woods, Robey and Alonso are doing so well. But it seemed to shock a whole bunch of people around this site. So, here's a chance to "not be surprised" in the spring.

I would think is going to kill the NFL in terms of ratings. I am an NFL guy, but this is a no brainier.

But Bob Griffin and Adrian Peterson are on NFLN...don't underestimate the power of the NFL, even for what is likely to be a stinker of a game.

But Bob Griffin and Adrian Peterson are on NFLN...don't underestimate the power of the NFL, even for what is likely to be a stinker of a game.

I know what my night looks like

8:30 Nfl

9.00 Nfl one tuner, NCAA other

10 30 NCAA one tuner...Sabres other

Leaving the office shortly and headed to the game tonight in Palo Alto.

Can't wait...

Sadly, the buzz here is not what you'd expect for a game of this magnitude. The Bay Area is definitely not a great college town.

I had a feeling that would be the case. How crazy is that. This to date is the biggest game of the year & will shape the national championship race(Don't count Stanford out yet as they are sitting right @ #5 tight now). If this game was played in Autzen the excitement dial by the locals would be off the hook. The fans of the Bay area & the fans in Cali suck.

I had a feeling that would be the case. How crazy is that. This to date is the biggest game of the year & will shape the national championship race(Don't count Stanford out yet as they are sitting right @ #5 tight now). If this game was played in Autzen the excitement dial by the locals would be off the hook. The fans of the Bay area & the fans in Cali suck.

Let's see...what to do in the woods of Oregon tonight? (Sound of crickets). I guess we can go to the game. Or clean out the basement. Sure us better up here than down in the San Francisco Bay area.

Yep, lots of great prospects on both teams. Mariota will be long gone by the time the Bills draft, but I am expecting (and hoping) to see us take one of more of Stanford's defensive front seven (Murphy or Skov, perhaps) now that the Bills are finally scouting prospects who play their college ball outside of the southeastern United States. This is going to be a great football game, featuring two excellent head coaches with very different, but both wildly successful, styles of football. The Ducks' defense is underrated and can be very physical; their defensive backfield might be the best in the country. Ducks pull out a squeaker, 34-31.

I sure hope not. This is obviously a topic that many here are interested in, and these threads essentially vanish forever when they are banished to the "college football" forum. Edited by mannc

Come on, you have the Genie, right? PIP!

I do, but hate PIP. I watch one to commercial, hit pause, switch tuners and watch that to commercial...and just keep going like that. If the Sabres game East Coast, that NFL game would never see the the light of day on my TV. Might even watch some of the unwatched 30 for 30s i have recorded instead of the game

Jameis Winston - He will be neck and neck with Mariotta for the Heisman. As for the NFL I dont think the running QB translates, he and Manziel will struggle with reading defenses and arm strength. And when I say reading defenses I dont mean the DE for the read option, i mean the secondary and coverages.

Leaving the office shortly and headed to the game tonight in Palo Alto.

Can't wait...

Sadly, the buzz here is not what you'd expect for a game of this magnitude. The Bay Area is definitely not a great college town.

The atmosphere is always stinky at Stanford. Always lots of empty stands there

Jameis Winston - He will be neck and neck with Mariotta for the Heisman. As for the NFL I dont think the running QB translates, he and Manziel will struggle with reading defenses and arm strength. And when I say reading defenses I dont mean the DE for the read option, i mean the secondary and coverages.

Winston is a beast. I can see great things for him at the next level, because he's a passer first and foremost, not a runner.

Normally i root for oregon, but tonight Lets go Cardinal! And Geaux Tigers! (i could be a bit biased however)

disappointed?

Winston is a beast. I can see great things for him at the next level, because he's a passer first and foremost, not a runner.

Normally i root for oregon, but tonight Lets go Cardinal! And Geaux Tigers! (i could be a bit biased however)

Yes sir! But we still need to do our part and finish strong. Going into Gville still worries me even though they are down. Tough place to finish

Down in Palo Alto it's been nuts all week. Tailgating has been going for 6 or 7 days. Mind you, it's not as crazy as towns where there is only a college.

Again it's been buzzing all week.

The atmosphere is always stinky at Stanford. Always lots of empty stands there

Horseshit. Do you know how many people have to stand on the upper concourses just to watch? The stadium was absolutely rocking tonight.

Regardless, my fellow Bills brethren, hail Stanford hail!

Edited by NickelCity

Stanford's pretty good at smashmouth football.

The biggest thing that's changed since Harbaugh left is that Luck is in the NFL.

Other than that, it's pretty much the same team.

The Stanford coach is on a fast track to an NFL HC gig.

Let's see...what to do in the woods of Oregon tonight? (Sound of crickets). I guess we can go to the game. Or clean out the basement. Sure us better up here than down in the San Francisco Bay area.

I am sure there is stuff to do in Oregon. Fans in California are generally just not as passionate as fan from different parts of the country. & save the BS about how there is just so much more to do in California.

With that being said, Stanford put on a clinic last night on how to out muscle a faster team. It really is a shame that they had to lose to a bad Utah team because I think this is the one team that could actually beat Alabama. A Stanford/Ohio State Rose Bowl does not sound too bad though.

Winston is goingto be a terrific pro. Kid could do it all + he has got a great head on his shoulders & is a born leader. I would take him over any QB that is coming out in the draft next year. I don't think he could go into the draft until 2015 though.

These teams don't look like in the same class as FSU and Bama.

I'm not sure if I agree with that. Oregon was averaging 55 points/ game and was shut out until the 4th quarter. If anything, I think Stanford is the perfect team to match up with those teams. They play great defense, are physical, and control the clock. They are more like a SEC team than a Pac 12 one. And Shane Skov would look great in a Bills' uni.

I started a thread on him last year pitching him as a Bills' coach. He is going to really, really good wherever he goes.

The biggest thing that's changed since Harbaugh left is that Luck is in the NFL.

It's why I think Shaw is going to be a great one. Probably the biggest weakness on Stanford is their QB. He's not that good. But Shaw is able to put him in a position to play within himself.

Agreed. I'm biased too, though. Ohio State alum. Thanks, Cardinal! That was a hell of a game. And Geaux Tigers!

Winston is an incredible prospect. Mariota is probably going 1st overall with 2nd or 3rd as his floor (barring serious injury of course). And he isn't in Winston's class. He is likely to be in the Luck, Elway Peyton Manning territory.

Stanford is one of those college jobs that I think I'd keep over any NFL gig. He won't get the annual salary that NFL coaches get, but he will have longevity and a work environment that he won't ever see in the pros. His quality of life will be much better at Stanford.

I'm not sure if I agree with that. Oregon was averaging 55 points/ game and was shut out until the 4th quarter. If anything, I think Stanford is the perfect team to match up with those teams. They play great defense, are physical, and control the clock. They are more like a SEC team than a Pac 12 one. And Shane Skov would look great in a Bills' uni.

Having seen that game-- which was the only time I have seen Stanford play this year-- I would agree with you. I was impressed at their power running game, and their defense.

I wonder though how well they could run on an Alabama, or another stout SEC defense.

Stanford is one of those college jobs that I think I'd keep over any NFL gig. He won't get the annual salary that NFL coaches get, but he will have longevity and a work environment that he won't ever see in the pros. His quality of life will be much better at Stanford.

Guys in that profession aren't usually known for not having ambition, or for taking the job with which they will be most "comfortable." They want challenges and they want to make a name for themselves. There is NO way a guy chooses to stay at Stanford rather than becoming an NFL head coach.

You may counter with someone like Nick Saban, but he's a different cat altogether. Saban took the bait and went to the NFL, but then realized he couldn't mold professional players the same way he could college kids.

I think even without a top QB, the current Stanford team is quite a bit better than the Luck era teams. They seem to have more superior athletes, especially on defense, and the coaching is even better than it was under Harbaugh. I remember thinking how much better Luck would have been in college with some decent wide-outs to throw to. They seem to have a lot more weapons now. That kid Ty Montgomery is an absolute beast as a receiver and on special teams . I have no idea how that team lost to Utah. They must have gone pass-happy or something. The upcoming game against USC will be interesting. USC has a lot of talent and seems to be getting its act together now that they have gotten rid of Kiffen. They probably match up better against Stanford than Oregon does.

Did you see any players last night who you'd want on the Bills roster?

Are you kidding? I would take any of Stanford's linebackers and defensive linemen in a heartbeat, especially Skov, Murphy and that defensive end (Henry?). I would also take Reynolds, the DB, and definitely Ty Montgomery, the wideout/kick returner. Oh, and either of their guards. On Oregon, I would love to have Mariota (even though he played poorly last night), the center (Grasu), the left OT (Johnstone), DeAnthony Thomas, and either of their corners. Addison, the wideout, will have a nice pro career, too.

Edited by mannc

Guys in that profession aren't usually known for not having ambition, or for taking the job with which they will be most "comfortable." They want challenges and they want to make a name for themselves. There is NO way a guy chooses to stay at Stanford rather than becoming an NFL head coach.

You may counter with someone like Nick Saban, but he's a different cat altogether. Saban took the bait and went to the NFL, but then realized he couldn't mold professional players the same way he could college kids.

I am not saying he wouldn't jump to the NFL, but I am saying that he might be better off not going. I'd counter beyond Saban as well. Some coaches (Joe Paterno, for example) have a great enough situation that they don't make the jump - especially for the kinds of NFL jobs that usually open up. The man is clearly an intellectual. Few football programs in college (none besides Stanford, probably) and zero teams in the pros offer him the chance to surround himself with similar people AND still be competitive at the top of the sport. Plus he will have job security not available in the NFL and he gets to live in a wonderful part of the country. Even for a bigger annual salary and the challenge and prestige of being an NFL coach he'd have to think long and hard before becoming Jerry Jones' head coach or rebuilding a Jacksonville team. There's a lot to hate about those situations. I'm not sure that it applies in this case, but some coaches are just better suited to the college game. They can recruit and lead kids, but don't do as well with the NFL due to parity, egos, etc. I think David Shaw is smart enough to know if he is that kind of coach or not. A secure job at $2.5M a year (and growing) isn't that far from most NFL HC salaries anyway.

Edited to add: I checked NFL HC salaries after I posted. He'd be at the bottom with his current salary. If he got a top 5 NFL salary in the $7.5M per year range I'd think he'd jump. If it was in the middle it might come down to what Stanford would go up to.

Edited by BarleyNY

Love how they line up 8 line man and just mash those guys, they should go with nine and sit the QB when they are obviously going to just plow ahead, either way still fun to watch.

I don't get all the Mariota (or bridgewater) hype, I've seen 4 of his games and thought pretty good but not OMG this guy is frikin awesome like Manziel ,who by far has been/is the best QB in college football.

Love how they line up 8 line man and just mash those guys, they should go with nine and sit the QB when they are obviously going to just plow ahead, either way still fun to watch.

I don't get all the Mariota (or bridgewater) hype, I've seen 4 of his games and thought pretty good but not OMG this guy is frikin awesome like Manziel ,who by far has been/is the best QB in college football.

It's official. Johnny Football, welcome to Bustville. Say hello to the Mr. Blaine Gabbert, Mr. Levi Jones, Mr. Ryan Tannehill, and the head of the class, Mr. John Skleton. You have been anointed by the BB. :nana:

Side note, Mariota and Bridgewater have risen on my draft board as a result.

Winston is an incredible prospect. Mariota is probably going 1st overall with 2nd or 3rd as his floor (barring serious injury of course). And he isn't in Winston's class. He is likely to be in the Luck, Elway Peyton Manning territory.

I think Hackenberg can be there too, will be interesting to see how these guys develop over the next two years.