Realistic expectations for Tuel on Sunday?

KikO M G

the bills are still a joke, when will everybody wake up and see this and stop falling in love with the first year head coach. You all loved Greg the Disciplinarian, and Mike the Player's Coach, then Softie Dick, then Chan the Genius, its insane. In two years you'll be riding Doug the Straight Shooter out of town and drooling over someone new.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13-24 for 162 with 1 TD 2 INT 5 sacks and a fumble

I'll say 12 for 26, 118 yds, 0 td's, 1 int, 4 sacks, 1 fumble Bills run well and hang tough but lose something like 24-13. Hopefully he goes to Chandler early and often. If Lewis plays my prediction would be completely different.

Second line probably more accurate. But probably more than 1 INT.

I think it's more probable that he has one of the worst 1st halfs of all time, for any QB EVER! versus 150 yards and a TD with 1 INT in the first half against a D like this!

2-12, 9 yards, 3 INT. 2 Pick 6's...all before halftime!

This sucks because we had a ligit shot at beating them too!

EJ needs to toughen' up and get back out there!

I see Tuel going down on the first play with a head injury. In comes Kolb, er Flynn who promptly exits after a vicious 2nd play of the game clothesline sack. In comes an injured Lewis emergency backup who hands it off the our backs the next 55/60 plays and we run away with the game going over 250 on the ground.

Tuel goes 24-28 for 362 yards, 3 TD's and 0 INT's. And da Bills beat the Chiefs 44 to -7. Marrone will find a way to make the Chiefs go into the negative.

Seriously, he's a rookie UDFA with a marginal arm playing against a top defense on pace to challenge the single season sack record. He'll be lucky to throw for 125 yards behind that sieve of an offensive line. But apparently some superfans think otherwise. :lol:

My prediction is largely based on the fact that Tuel's big strength is the deep ball and the staff seems to want to give him chances to throw that deep ball. Even in his limited action against Cleveland, I think he made 2, maybe 3, deep throws. I think he will try some throws down the field, potentially leading to some big plays. At the same time, I can see deeper throws leading to some more risks being taken (eg, sacks, picks).

Does he really have a strong arm? Didn't look like it at all to me against CLE. All you have to do is air it out once or twice to give yourself and your running backs some space. Thad showed that against the Bengals. His first and best game.

Anyone have a link to a video of Tuel throws from pre season?

No. Uh uh. Not with this defense we arent. Not at home we arent. Thad/Tuel/Flynn only needs to manage this game for an easy 6 point victory. No way in hell are the Chiefs gonna beat this team.

Remember....a QB does not a team make.

Its gonna be a long trip home for the 6-1 Chiefs. Its a fore-gone conclusion.

So your prediction is not only will we beat the Chiefs, but we'll steal two of their victories, as well? Or were players in violation of NCAA eligibility rules for two of those wins for accepting handouts from an alum? :w00t:

My Tuel prediction is it will be midway through the second quarter at the earliest before that "I'm SO f$%d" deer in the headlights look leaves his face.

I was expecting that we'd win this game because with Manuel or Lewis we were better than the competition that KC faced so far... with Tuel, we ARE that competition.

the bills are still a joke, when will everybody wake up and see this and stop falling in love with the first year head coach. You all loved Greg the Disciplinarian, and Mike the Player's Coach, then Softie Dick, then Chan the Genius, its insane. In two years you'll be riding Doug the Straight Shooter out of town and drooling over someone new.

Just curious why you are on a Bills fan page...

Plus CIN torched us with screens. You'd think the coaches would have been paying attention.

a)They torched us with screens right at Gilmore because he had a club on one hand and couldn't tackle. Brilliant strategy that worked, but Bills adjusted in second half. It works both ways on coaches paying attention.

I have seen worse. But yea, that was really bad.

40% completion percentage, one INT, 2 sacks in a QTR and a half.

Spiller is healthy and back in the line up. Like someone else mentioned it would be great if Tuel doesn't throw more then a few passes.

It was clearly not a good performance from Tuel. However, he was throwing to Hogan and Graham who couldn't catch a cold that night. I do not think Tuel is a good NFL QB right now, but lets face it, I thought of a few worse performances just off the top of my head from SB winning QBs. It happens.

Realistically hope he only throws 2 pick sixes.

If so, he could be right on par with Geno Smith.

With Goodwin finally back and looking good, it could be a major factor on making the Chiefs respect the passing game enough to not stack the box on every play. If Tuel can hit him over the top once or twice in the 1st qtr, they will have to game plan for Goodwin's speed as a deep threat opening things up for Freddy and CJ and the short passing game.

GO Bills!!!

Obviously, you're a troll with your constant use of 'you'.

Go away.

Tuel's throws were impressive in pre-season. That's what I'm expecting to see tomorrow.

At the very least, we will see what we have in him and either beat KC and have our back-up or move on from the tool-time experiment.

This is Tuel's last chance to show that he belongs. I have my doubts about his ability to do well enough to save his NFL job/career. I'm predicting a few sacks, a few fumbles, a few picks, and several off target throws to open receivers. Other than that, I think he'll do fine. :bag:

I really don't understand the Tuel situation at all. If, when your QB gets hurt, you start trolling the market for a new starter instead of turning to the backup on your roster then you don't have the right backup. First we pickup Lewis as the new starter. Now it's 50-50 between Tuel and Flynn. Really?

As for expectations, who knows but it's clear that NO ONE believes in him including his own coach. That probably doesn't bode well.

Letting Levitre walk is really starting to pay dividends. Think of all of that cap cash that the Bills saved!

Exactly... I mean, Levitre certainly would have made sure Manuel got out of bounds or slid after picking up the first down, and no question he would have helped protect Lewis's ribs on that shot he took on the read option play. He probably also could have held Kolb's hand when he walked across the slippery mat, and kept defenders from breathing extra hard on his concussion prone head, as well.

Does he really have a strong arm? Didn't look like it at all to me against CLE. All you have to do is air it out once or twice to give yourself and your running backs some space. Thad showed that against the Bengals. His first and best game.

Anyone have a link to a video of Tuel throws from pre season?

I am not sure if he has a strong arm, but he throws a great deep ball, if that makes sense. I fully expect the coaches to give him multiple chances to air it out,

I am not sure if he has a strong arm, but he throws a great deep ball, if that makes sense. I fully expect the coaches to give him multiple chances to air it out,

It makes perfect sense. It's also spot on for Tuel.

I'm not going to put too much stock in what we saw against Cleveland. Different circumstances. I think Tuel will balance out between that game and what we saw in the pre-season from him. If our D shows up, we have a chance. I don't expect Tuel to lose this game for us.

With all the talk and hype of the Chiefs D, the fact remains that they have played some of the worst offenses in the NFL in the first half of the season. The Bills D has played some of the best and is finally healthy. The Bills D plays very well at home especially and the Chefs still need to score points to win. I would not be surprised to see the Bills D win this game with their performance and Tuel, if he can limit mistakes, will be aided by a short field. While the media keeps talking about the Chefs DL, I would not trade Mario for any of them.

Graham can stretch a defense, too. He has shown he has the arm in camp and pre-season. I hope he has the balls when he sees that coverage.

GO BILLS!!!

I am sure they have been working on that with him all week. If Graham can keep catching the way he has, this offense has much more possibility with Goodwin back, SJ in the slot and Woods... remember Thad could never find Woods. Edited by YoloInTheBlo

I really don't understand the Tuel situation at all. If, when your QB gets hurt, you start trolling the market for a new starter instead of turning to the backup on your roster then you don't have the right backup. First we pickup Lewis as the new starter. Now it's 50-50 between Tuel and Flynn. Really?

As for expectations, who knows but it's clear that NO ONE believes in him including his own coach. That probably doesn't bode well.

They had to find another QB because they were down to one active QB at the time EJ got hurt who was a UDFA. Obviously they wish they had planned differently, but they did their due diligence to see if they could find someone with some experience. Lewis was the best bet having been in the system for a month. Its 50-50 between Tuel and Flynn because Lewis is not hurt and Flynn is still picking up the playbook. It really isn't that outlandish.

+1

I clicked to type nearly the exact same. 180 yards, 1 td- 2 ints and a fumble was my most likely outcome.

Seems about right. IMO, if his passes attempted exceed the teens we're screwed. Gotta go back to the Ravens gameplan.

Love the optimism, and I agree out defense will be tough at home. I just don't believe our offense will be able to move the ball effectively and consistently. Unless we can hold them to under 10, I'm skeptical with Tuel at QB. I have a feeling that if they get up 7, it's gonna feel like an insurmountable lead. Also, if Tuel turns it over early, then offense will go into extreme conservatism mode and Tuel will be terrified to let it rip.

Yep its too funny most of you have already buried this professional football team. You dont think there is pride on this team? I expect a dogfight and actually belive Tuel will be cool as a cucumber. You underestimate the players on this team. Who the hell is the QB on the other team? Ok Petine time to turn the table , pull out the wizards book and show KC what a real defense can do. Alex is going to be terrified Sunday. Lets Go Buffalo!

I agree that the Chiefs are not the Saints. Unlikely they put up 30 points. But they also don't turn the ball over. Smith is a master at managing the game and protecting the football. My fear is that the Chiefs will only have to play safe, not necessarily well, to win. Hard to see how we score more than 10 points with Tuel.

At home, this team scores 20 points in their sleep. Just depends on how well the D plays. If they are up to snuff, we have a shot. As for Tuel, if he can stay mistake free, then we will be okay. If he turns the ball over like we did last week, we are doomed.

Yep its too funny most of you have already buried this professional football team. You dont think there is pride on this team? I expect a dogfight and actually belive Tuel will be cool as a cucumber. You underestimate the players on this team. Who the hell is the QB on the other team? Ok Petine time to turn the table , pull out the wizards book and show KC what a real defense can do. Alex is going to be terrified Sunday. Lets Go Buffalo!

To be honest, I think this game is in the hands of the defense, Hackett and the ST. If you are going to have EITHER Thad or Tuel out there (let's not pretend Thad was Joe Montana) you don't put the game in their hands, and the coaches know this since they have had nothing but raw, rookie or rookie-like projects at QB the entire season.

CJ is injury prone we should draft a RB in the first round.

Not in the first round ... but Carlos Hyde from OSU in the 2nd or later would be outstanding as eventual replacement for Fred. I don't think CJ is injury prone though as compared to most RBs. Edited by YoloInTheBlo

It makes perfect sense. It's also spot on for Tuel.

I'm not going to put too much stock in what we saw against Cleveland. Different circumstances. I think Tuel will balance out between that game and what we saw in the pre-season from him. If our D shows up, we have a chance. I don't expect Tuel to lose this game for us.

I'm certainly hoping you're right of course, but I don't want to see what I saw out of him in pre-season, either. He was pretty bad, actually. The Colts game against 4th stringers and/or guys no longer playing, just doesn't count.

GO BILLS!!!

On game rewind I just watched every throw Tuel made in the Cleveland game. Yes, he was bad. He was rushed and off target a lot. But he made a number of accurate throws, in particular one long one to Woods that was broken up by the coverage. He threw a screen to Freddie that took the Cleveland rush (which was all out) by surprise and gained a dozen yards or so. He also seemed to be mobile in the pocket and aware of the rush.

This doesn't tell me he's going to have a great game, but with a week of preparation with the first string, and some adjustment of the game plan (screen passes, please) to counter a stacked box and heavy rush, I think he can play well enough for the Bills to win.

I also think that Marone and Hackett want to win this game (duh) and therefore would not play him if they he did not present the best chance for them to do so. I expect he will play much better than he did being thrown into the Cleveland game with no prep.

The entire team hopefully steps up.

The Oline answers the call and opens lanes and gives the kid enough time to go 15-25 175 1 t.d. 1 int's.

IF the line plays good and Hackett calls up some good plays and does not become predictable, Tuel has a chance. This is one where if the Bills are going to win they will have to decieve the Chiefs.

On game rewind I just watched every throw Tuel made in the Cleveland game. Yes, he was bad. He was rushed and off target a lot. But he made a number of accurate throws, in particular one long one to Woods that was broken up by the coverage. He threw a screen to Freddie that took the Cleveland rush (which was all out) by surprise and gained a dozen yards or so. He also seemed to be mobile in the pocket and aware of the rush.

This doesn't tell me he's going to have a great game, but with a week of preparation with the first string, and some adjustment of the game plan (screen passes, please) to counter a stacked box and heavy rush, I think he can play well enough for the Bills to win.

I also think that Marone and Hackett want to win this game (duh) and therefore would not play him if they he did not present the best chance for them to do so. I expect he will play much better than he did being thrown into the Cleveland game with no prep.

Thanks for taking the time to do that. I think it is easy to pile on because the memory of what happened in the Browns game at the end (pick 6) can cloud what actually happened. He also had backups in at WR and Woods was DTd because SJ was out. Again, I am not saying Tuel is awesome and I am excited that he is starting for the Bills. In fact, Coach Marrone clearly thinks Thad is the best choice or he wouldn't be trying to see if he could play this late in the week and hlding out hope. But Tuel has been in this system since Day 1 and out of all the QBs has probably gotten the most reps in it with all of the guys coming in and out and hurt during that time. Marrone and Whaley both like him and Marrone has shown to move on from guys who suck or he can't trust to make plays on gameday.