Bills final play shows why Mike Pettine is awesome!

Wattdogg35

The Miami Dolphins needed a hail mary pass in which the QB would need to step into a throw to reach the endzone. Most teams rush 2 or 3 guys and drop everyone else. But not Mike Pettine! he disguises a blitz which worked perfectly except Ryan T. made a ridiclous effeort to stay on his feet and bomb one down there. Even if Miami caught it, I would want the same type of play to be called everytime! I love what this team is doing, the coaches are doing a great job. The fact that they actually "change" gameplans midway through the game if somthing isn't working is what great teams do! Chan Gaily, Jauron etc...stuck with one thing the whole way regardless of the outcome! drove me crazy! We have a bunch of young players being well coached, just need to get healthy and a few more pieces to be legitment SBowl contenders! GO BILLS! The future for a change, looks exciting with actual promise!

I 100% agree. Worked perfectly in the Ravens game as well. I never understood why you don't rush the passer in that situation. They need time and to step up as you said. Ryan T. doesn't pull a Big Ben, that's 2 sacks on 2 Hail Mary attempts vs. other teams.

What about the play before that when Hartline got behind Aaron Williams with nobody else deep?

obviously you have never watched a football game, that was planned mis-coverage by the infallible genius that is Mike Pettine

learn how to football brah

I 100% agree. Worked perfectly in the Ravens game as well. I never understood why you don't rush the passer in that situation. They need time and to step up as you said. Ryan T. doesn't pull a Big Ben, that's 2 sacks on 2 Hail Mary attempts vs. other teams.

Don't forget Kiko's sack to end the Carolina game - it would have been 3 for 3.

I seriously doubt that the safety was coached to jump the underneath out route that was already covered. That was a poor decision by that player, most likely.

Agree. But seems to me they need more situational awareness practice segments so that never happens again.

Don't forget Kiko's sack to end the Carolina game - it would have been 3 for 3.

Good call! I was actually thinking of a Kiko sack. Even though the run D has been bad, Pettine is putting his players in a position to succeed and win games (as evidenced by sack totals, etc.) We get a few big LB's to pair with Kiko (and keep Byrd) the D could be top 10 next year.

Gentlemen (and Ladies) - I think the wrong question is being asked....Why the H311 did we need to be in a Hail Mary defense in the first place? Why was that kick not boomed out of the end zone instead of attempting a perfect pooch kick to the sidelines at the 10? I had to check my to see if the Bills re-hired the moron Bruce DeHaven....that was an assine decision. Kick the ball out of the end zone and do not give them the chance to run it back!!!

Gentlemen (and Ladies) - I think the wrong question is being asked....Why the H311 did we need to be in a Hail Mary defense in the first place? Why was that kick not boomed out of the end zone instead of attempting a perfect pooch kick to the sidelines at the 10? I had to check my to see if the Bills re-hired the moron Bruce DeHaven....that was an assine decision. Kick the ball out of the end zone and do not give them the chance to run it back!!!

Because Carpenter missed the kick. The plan was to boot it out of the endzone. Carpenter just miffed it.

Marrone said so in his presser.

It was a bad kickoff by Carpenter and not a designed kick in the field of play....Next!

Well, then - I guess he made the same exact bad kick earlier in the game.....That was obviously a designed kick and not an error.

Generally if a HC is going to lie to the media, they lie in order to protect a player, not throw one under a bus to cover their own ass.

Quickest way to lose a team is to do what you are suggesting Marrone did. He is simply not that stupid.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Think you mean the Panthers, when Alonso did the same thing, line up on the slot receiver and then move inside and blitz

You have no idea how perilously close the Bills came to losing this game. Just watched this play again on the all-22. The Bills rushed 4 and dropped 7 into coverage. Tanneyhill was forced to climb the pocket by Kyle Willams pressure and as he stepped up to throw, he was hit by Dareus.

Without the hit by Dareus, I have no doubt that the pass is on target to Hartline for the TD. :unsure: Phew!!!

post-1597-0-07411100-1382461722_thumb.jpg

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

You have no idea how perilously close the Bills came to losing this game. Just watched this play again on the all-22. The Bills rushed 4 and dropped 7 into coverage. Tanneyhill was forced to climb the pocket by Kyle Willams pressure and as he steeped up to throw, he was hit by Dareus. Without the hit by Dareus, I have no doubt that the pass is on target to Hartline for the TD.

:unsure: Phew!!!

That is why they call it the game of INCHES. It simply means that Dareus made a play to keep his team in the game. Why is this any different from any other play in the NFL.

That is why they call it the game of INCHES. It simply means that Dareus made a play to keep his team in the game. Why is this any different from any other play in the NFL.

Because you don't expect your CB to be burnt by a not so fast WR (especially in a desperate situation for the offense)?

Sheesh, I thought it was a poignant observation. Williams' positioning error at that stage of the game was shocking, and potentially the deciding factor in the game.

The Miami Dolphins needed a hail mary pass in which the QB would need to step into a throw to reach the endzone. Most teams rush 2 or 3 guys and drop everyone else. But not Mike Pettine! he disguises a blitz which worked perfectly except Ryan T. made a ridiclous effeort to stay on his feet and bomb one down there. Even if Miami caught it, I would want the same type of play to be called everytime! I love what this team is doing, the coaches are doing a great job. The fact that they actually "change" gameplans midway through the game if somthing isn't working is what great teams do! Chan Gaily, Jauron etc...stuck with one thing the whole way regardless of the outcome! drove me crazy! We have a bunch of young players being well coached, just need to get healthy and a few more pieces to be legitment SBowl contenders! GO BILLS! The future for a change, looks exciting with actual promise!

:thumbsup: big Pettine fan, gona suck to see him leave, hopefully we are grooming someone to replace him.

The one thing I didn't like was the Bills calling time out before the final play. That gave the Fins time to take a breath and think about the play they wanted. I would have preferred to make them rush their last play. Can't argue with the result though. :thumbsup:

maybe pettine was thinking 'uhh... how the hell did hartline get wide open that last play. let me call timeout and make sure that doesnt happen again'

The one thing I didn't like was the Bills calling time out before the final play. That gave the Fins time to take a breath and think about the play they wanted. I would have preferred to make them rush their last play. Can't argue with the result though. :thumbsup:

It's a good idea to stay up on the news about your team before jumping in the porridge pot. Go listen to Marrone's press conference where he explains exactly why he called time out at that point. On the return, he thought his knee was down on the 33. But you can't challenge inside the final two minutes. Instead, the officials are supposed to do that up in the booth. So he wanted to make sure they had the time to do that before Miami ran a play and made the question moot. The Bills didn't get the call they wanted (and should have gotten) but it was a pretty heady decision in my opinion.

It's a good idea to stay up on the news about your team before jumping in the porridge pot. Go listen to Marrone's press conference where he explains exactly why he called time out at that point. On the return, he thought his knee was down on the 33. But you can't challenge inside the final two minutes. Instead, the officials are supposed to do that up in the booth. So he wanted to make sure they had the time to do that before Miami ran a play and made the question moot. The Bills didn't get the call they wanted (and should have gotten) but it was a pretty heady decision in my opinion.

I agree, except there was no clear evidence he was touched on the kick return