When were you most wrong on a player?

plenzmd1

Somewhat akin to the unpopular opinions thread, but just a little different. Here is the thread to admit your mistakes on players and why we are not NFL GMs.

My biggest is Fred Jackson. I thought he looked old and slow in preseason, and I was thinking might be time to cut him. On my 2013 Bills team..Freddy might not be on it. Not saying he was not one of my favorite Bills of all time, just thought it was time.

I was also way late to the Flutie party...I was solidly a RJ guy .

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of recent I stayed and am still on the Bryan Scott team. Not that he was he was a bad player, just misused... so hmm... thinking out typing...

I was most wrong on, perhaps on Drayton Florence. I saw a whole lot of problems with him but I thought a lot of it was situational and due to him playing out of role in a defense that gave him little wiggle room. I saw his flaws and could not understand how the coaches did not. He did not belong as an outside cover guy man up. He needed more then zone help, a cover 4 type because he was not able to keep inside of the defender.

For current guys I would say Aaron Williams. I thought that he was Troup or Hardy or some other wasted 2nd round pick. He is a good all around player having a really nice year. He is "multiple" and has made some big plays. I am happy that I was wrong about him.

In terms of guys that I like better than most I would say Ron Brooks. I think that he is a great open field tackler and a physical guy in the slot. I think that he could be the slot guy for a while.

All-time - I LOVED Larry Kinnebrew

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Fingers crossed that I'll be wrong about Marquis Goodwin. When we drafted him I said ohhh nooo another track star who thinks he can play football. I've been impressed with him so far though. They need to figure out how to use him more

I have never been more wrong about a player than Larry English when the Chargers drafted him and the Bills took Maybin. I thought he was going to be dominant.

As for a Bills' player, I'll have to go with Whitner, who I actually thought was a great pick and a potential game changer.

From everything I had read, I thought Shawn Powell was going to be a great punter. It appeared that he was a student of the game, he had studied under ex-Bill Greg Cater. His credentials looked incredible All-American, etc

At 6-foot-4 and 245 pounds, he could even tackle the returners, as needed.

So WTF is he doing on game days? I thought the first shank was an anomaly, but then there were more.

I am disappointed that he did not turn out to be a very good NFL punter.

I wish him well, but come Festivus, he'll be near the top of the list of people who have let me down this year.

He's not a Bill, but my most recent "gotcha" has to be Geno Smith. I wanted no part of this kid with our 1st pick. I liked his physical ability but did not like his demeanor when the going got tough. The kid looks cool as a cucumber for the Jets whether he's playing well or not. Nice even kiel. I did not expect him to start, much less play as well (although somewhat inconsistent) as he has.

Nice work Geno Smith. I was wrong on you, Sir.

I was most wrong about Kelvin Sheppard. I thought from watching his college videos and pre game speeches that he might bring high energy to the defense. I see more hand clapping (like yo, get into position, wake up) this year than any other. Mostly being done by Mario. Whether he likes to be or not, he's a leader.

He's not a Bill, but my most recent "gotcha" has to be Geno Smith. I wanted no part of this kid with our 1st pick. I liked his physical ability but did not like his demeanor when the going got tough. The kid looks cool as a cucumber for the Jets whether he's playing well or not. Nice even kiel. I did not expect him to start, much less play as well (although somewhat inconsistent) as he has.

Nice work Geno Smith. I was wrong on you, Sir.

How dare you...