She caught the bouquet

So I was at a wedding tonight with my girlfriend and she caught the bouquet. Wasn't even close. This has been my plan since I met her but since she's now caught the bouquet how long til I should be proposing? 6 months? Tomorrow? A year?

Run while you still can.

I proposed last month and our wedding is in June. Best wishes if you're going down the same road. :)

One day at work I simply realized that I was making money not to buy concert tickets or a new amp, but to help support a family. The transition in thought was seamless, but something shifted. The thought of comfortable permanence set in and I think I've been wearing the same smile ever since. Found the perfect ring the next day.

Oh God. Another "Dear Abby" post from the captain. How the hell do you figure we know what to do?

More if a "Dear TBD" :lol: I just like filling in the board because you have gotten to know me so well over the years. The proposal is coming. Just wondering if anyone else had this happen to them

I proposed last month and our wedding is in June. Best wishes if you're going down the same road. :)

One day at work I simply realized that I was making money not to buy concert tickets or a new amp, but to help support a family. The transition in thought was seamless, but something shifted. The thought of comfortable permanence set in and I think I've been wearing the same smile ever since. Found the perfect ring the next day.

thanks for the kind words sage. We're in that path for sure and I decided a long time ago she wasn't going anywhere. Have a picture of her in my office at grad school to remind me why I'm working so hard everyday. She's a keeper to say the least

Unless you are proposing(pardon the pun) that there is some sort of special supernatural force that revolves around catching the bouquet, I would suggest you ignore it and propose marriage when both you and her are in the right place(emotionally).

Congrats!

Unless you are proposing(pardon the pun) that there is some sort of special supernatural force that revolves around catching the bouquet, I would suggest you ignore it and propose marriage when both you and her are in the right place(emotionally).

Yep.

Whatever you do, never fall into the 'well, it seems like it's time because we're X age or have been together Y years, or her mother blah, blah, blah' rationale.

p.s. congrats Sage!

Edited by KD in CT

Congrats to both Captain and Sage! To bad for your respective GF's but if they have not figured that out by now they can continue to live in their bubble of false bliss.

Captain the tricky thing is the ring - does she want say in what is bought? If not, surprise her and not in one of those tacky put it on a billboard or attention grabbing youtube video moments. Ask her in a personal way that will be a special memory to her and in a place that has meaning to her.

Good luck.

Congrats to both Captain and Sage! To bad for your respective GF's but if they have not figured that out by now they can continue to live in their bubble of false bliss.

Captain the tricky thing is the ring - does she want say in what is bought? If not, surprise her and not in one of those tacky put it on a billboard or attention grabbing youtube video moments. Ask her in a personal way that will be a special memory to her and in a place that has meaning to her.

Good luck.

Sage made sure that the one big decision was properly made. The wedding will not interfere with training camp or the regular season. We'll see if Hindsight has the foresight to insist on the same.

Sage made sure that the one big decision was properly made. The wedding will not interfere with training camp or the regular season. We'll see if Hindsight has the foresight to insist on the same.

Weddings must only be planned from late Feb to mid July. Unless they are also a football fan, then you may have a fall wedding, but the date can only be picked after the NFL schedule comes out. If children are wanted, conception must only be tried between late June to late November, to insure a birth takes place during the off season. The rest of the year, use protection.

So I was at a wedding tonight with my girlfriend and she caught the bouquet. Wasn't even close. This has been my plan since I met her but since she's now caught the bouquet how long til I should be proposing? 6 months? Tomorrow? A year?

Catching the bouquet doesn't mean she's getting married soon, it means she's next to get married.

So your first step should be to check out the status of the other women in the wedding. If they're all ugly, crazy, and alone you've got plenty of time.

to have income

THEN: Do NOT pop the question. I only said what I said, because I thought you were mid to late 20's and just spinning your wheels. Wait till you get set... Especially when buying the ring! DO NOT buy into that "whatever pay day" (2 months salary or whatever BS) hype the diamond people are pushing!

THEN: Do NOT pop the question. I only said what I said, because I thought you were mid to late 20's and just spinning your wheels. Wait till you get set... Especially when buying the ring! DO NOT buy into that "whatever pay day" (2 months salary or whatever BS) hype the diamond people are pushing!

And when you start looking at the stone to put in the ring, tell them to put away that ridiculously high end $20K stone that they show you "just for comparison". Obviously you're not going to buy it, but it will still guilt you into buying as pricey a rock as possible.

And once I read the first post in this thread, I assumed it would take 3 or 4 more posts until someone said they can't offer advice until they see a picture. How has that not happened yet?

And when you start looking at the stone to put in the ring, tell them to put away that ridiculously high end $20K stone that they show you "just for comparison". Obviously you're not going to buy it, but it will still guilt you into buying as pricey a rock as possible.

And once I read the first post in this thread, I assumed it would take 3 or 4 more posts until someone said they can't offer advice until they see a picture. How has that not happened yet?

We saw a pic some time ago. Nice. Caps a short chubby pork chop, lucky to have a gal like that :lol:

My advice: don't take advice from this guy. :D

to have income

Have you considered getting engaged and having a lengthy delay before you get married? That way you can have your everlasting love and commitment to each other publicly proclaimed.....for the small price of the cost of a ring(likely to be well offset by the presents you receive from an engagement party).

.....and if the Mrs doesn't want a big elaborate wedding the costs of getting married could be minimal.

You should really get engaged and married as soon as possible, Captain. You too, Sage. You don't want to be some kind of lonely bachelor in your mid 20s. Its pathetic.

Yeah those Sundays watching football with the buddies really sucks. :D

Yeah those Sundays watching football with the buddies really sucks. :D

Sure, the vacations are kinda fun and dropping big bar tabs passes the time, but its sooo empty and unfulfilling. Lets not forget all the free time and disposable income too. Thats why you need a wife to make sure you have neither.

I'll jump in, Capt, go for it. You guys are awesome and if she's put up with you this long wellllll enough said. Sage, congrats. I just got engaged about a week and a half ago and we're shooting for a June wedding, but man my head already hurts.

"Comes a time

When you're driftin'

Comes a time

When you settle down

Comes a light

Feelin's liftin'

Lift that baby

Right up off the ground.

Oh, this old world

Keeps spinning round

It's a wonder tall trees

Ain't layin' down